Sapphire Princess v. Oosterdam for South America 2023

soccermom4

We have only cruised on RCCL and Carnival - but are considering a 2023 South American cruise around The Horn.  Our 2 choices are Oosterdam and Sapphire Princess.  I've read reviews on both (although Sapphire hasn't started cruising again post-covid).  We enjoy wildlife viewing, enjoy entertainment, are very active 60 somethings - but totally not night-owls.  We're also vegan - but plan to flex vegetarian if we need to.  Input from anyone who can compare these 2 ships would be most appreciated.

I have sailed on both ships and liked both ships. It has been awhile since I have been on Oosterdam but would sail on her again. I am probably 10 years younger than you.

I believe HAL has more forward viewing and Princess has aft viewing lounges. I think both would accommodate your diet requests. I think Princess will have a little bit more younger group and better nightlife (overall) but these sailings are going to attract an older group most likely. Also, at least on Princess, there have been several posts about entertainment has been lacking due to unable to get entertainers. I haven't followed HAL recently. My last Princess trip did not have much for entertainment at night.

I would go off of itinerary and price. Both ships would be great IMO. Also - the best entertainment on your trip will be "outside".

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

I have not been on a HAL ship, but would consider it.  The first thing I looked for was a full voyage around South America and I see neither line does it anymore - or at least not yet again. 

That said, our S.A. voyage in Winter 2018 was an amazing experience.  I would be happy to start in Buenos Aries however as don't need the Brazil portions again (yes, it was fun to be in Rio at Carnival time but once is enough).  I'd fly in early to BA and head to Iguazu Falls if you have never been and spend some time in BA as well. 

After that, the voyage itineraries are very similar.  For me, I like the most ports you can hit on west coast of S.A., so an end of season voyage that ends in FL (HAL) or CA (PCL).  All things being equal, I'd choose to end up in FL since it is a shorter flight home from there.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input.  Itineraries and prices are very similar between the 2.  One of the things I check is how many ships are in port with each sailing.  The one with 6 ships in port at Ushuaia at the same time is off the list.  I'm going to check Labor Day sales and see if something pops.  I'm sure we'd be happy with either ship (as long as we see penguins).

• Like 2

One difference is that the HAL cruise on Oosterdam goes through the Canal and ends in FLL while the Sapphire goes to LA.  I had booked the Princess cruise ending in LA, but canceled it as well as a LA-FLL through the Canal, in favor of the single HAL cruise. 

The Princess Canal cruise was on the Emerald and it couldn't go through the old locks which I think, Oosterdam can.

I wanted to get a bit more bang for my buck, and thought the HAL was better. YMMV, however.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, soccermom4 said:

(as long as we see penguins).

You will definitely see penguins!  We did the Antarctica cruise on the Star Princess in 2011 and it was FANTASTIC!  We will be on the 32 day, BA to LA, cruise on the Sapphire, starting on 3/5/23.  

• Like 1

I would choose either one based on value and itinerary. I have sailed from Chile to Buenos Aires to Ft Lauderdale and also from Rio to Chile to Los Angeles. These longer reposition trips are the ones I prefer.

Princess will have lectures, lots of trivia, lots of live evening lounge music, plus the normal shows. Feel HAL lacks some of this. Sapphire is an older ship, but is a really nice design. Princess' plus fares are also a good value. Around two alcoholic beverages per day to break even. No issues with your diet except you probably will have to eat many of your meals in the DR. On Princess the DR is open for breakfast and dinner each day and for lunch only on sea days.

The South American trips were some of our best.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

I would probably choose the Princess ship.  We have sailed with them quite a few times and enjoy their product.  We've only sailed HAL once--and it was on the Oosterdam--and while it was fine, it just seemed somehow stodgier, or more old-fashioned, if you like.  We are in our 70's, aren't party people and don't even drink, to speak of, so it's not that we require that atmosphere--which usually isn't Princess anyway, we just felt a little bored oh HAL.  

That was a few years ago, so maybe some of the entertainment, etc. is more up to date now.