Air Transat allows carry on 20 inches, ours is 21, a problem or not?

jonthomas

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

anyone use Air transat with a carry on?

how strict are they with the carry ons...hate to buy new luggage over one inch. 

What does this have to do with Celebrity Cruise Line? Ask in the cruise air and airlines forum. 

• Like 4

thank you...but made a decision to take a smaller one...

was AT on time...no delays?

we are going 2 days earlier to BArcelona just because of the chaos with flights....

will do AT stopover in Montreal....thought it was better than doing AC to newark...newark is a zoo ...and toronto is a nightmare...but have no choice...we are here...

• Like 1

Really, Newark is a zoo?  I fly Jet Blue in and out of Newark.  I'm met by a smiling person at the door inquiring if I need any assistance.  Last spring I needed a wheelchair.  It was immediately forthcoming.  I've never encountered that in any other airport anywhere.  You want to see a nasty airport, try Salt Lake City.  You too can replicate the Bataan Death March to Terminal C.  They have decided to fix it by building yet another long tunnel--Bataan Death March II.  Ah, but the new one will have art.  No carts or wheelchairs, but art.  Spare me.  The people in charge there are idiots.  I would never darken their door again, but unfortunately, my grandchildren live just north of SLC.

• Like 1

guess experiences vary..depending on whose story you listen to...

.but our Airport...Toronto, has won the dubious distinction of worlds worst airport several times in a row....WORLDS...can you imagine...terribly mismanaged...I could post horror stories..but I am sure you are familiar with them....we have no choice...could drive to Buffalo...but will just go two days ahead and hope thats enough....

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Really, Newark is a zoo?  I fly Jet Blue in and out of Newark.  I'm met by a smiling person at the door inquiring if I need any assistance.  Last spring I needed a wheelchair.  It was immediately forthcoming.  I've never encountered that in any other airport anywhere.  You want to see a nasty airport, try Salt Lake City.  You too can replicate the Bataan Death March to Terminal C.  They have decided to fix it by building yet another long tunnel--Bataan Death March II.  Ah, but the new one will have art.  No carts or wheelchairs, but art.  Spare me.  The people in charge there are idiots.  I would never darken their door again, but unfortunately, my grandchildren live just north of SLC.

Lol

• Like 1

thank you...but made a decision to take a smaller one...

was AT on time...no delays?

we are going 2 days earlier to BArcelona just because of the chaos with flights....

will do AT stopover in Montreal....thought it was better than doing AC to newark...newark is a zoo ...and toronto is a nightmare...but have no choice...we are here...

Very amusing.  No delays?  Maybe in Bozeman Montana.  Canada lately is worse than the US.

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

JetBlue sucks (our March experience and opinion) no matter the airport. Going from and to. We've each have 800 forgive us credits we'll never use from JetBlue! I'll agree with terminal C at the SLC airport. 

9 hours ago, davekathy said:

I'd hate to show up and be denied boarding over an inch. What someone  else experienced maybe different for others. IMO, all airlines need to strictly enforce their carry on policies. It benefits all of us. 

You won't be denied boarding, you'll be forced to pay for a gate check, usually $90ish/bag

All airlines experience delays and you might be surprised to learn your favorite airline is only average when it comes to delays.

A pro tip is if there are multiple daily flights, book the first one as they’re the least likely to be delayed.  This also translates to appts (doctor, dentist, etc), book the first one of the day and odds are you won’t be delayed.

you can say all airlines...but no denying, Toronto airport voted worst in the world several times in a row....

even good airlines are totally off their game because of the chaos at the airport....planes sitting on tarmac for hours...luggage seen lying around the tarmac...etc...just horror stories.....

Once again I seem to be odd man out.  I haven't experienced gate personnel paying such close attention to carry-on bags that they would flag a bag for being an inch oversized. Occasionally I see a metal frame in the boarding area with a sign saying something like "your carry-on must fit in here", but to be honest I've never seen gate attendants use this to actually check bag size.   I don't dispute that others have seen this, but it has certainly not been my experience.  I imagine if someone tried to bring a full size suitcase onboard they would be stopped, but an inch oversized?  Seems very unlikely.  Likewise, I have seen flight attendants gate check carry-ons when the overheads are full, but the passenger has not been charged - and I've not seen them insist on gate checking a carry-on over a slight size violation.  On the contrary, I've seen them assist a passenger with an obviously oversized carry-on that wouldn't fit in the overhead by turning it sideways and forcing the cover to close.  It always amazes me how different individual experiences are, but I do wonder if all these cautions about a 1 inch oversized bag are a bit overblown. 

6 minutes ago, mom says said:

Mnocket- I can only assume you haven't flown outside the US, or on non US airlines, in recent years. Many airlines are closely enforcing their size restrictions. Even more so with the airport difficulties this year.

True, since Covid I've mostly flown within USA, exception being trip to Cancun Mexico.  Have things really changed that much from pre-covid?  I've seen strict weight enforcement, but minor carry-on size violations?  This is new to me.

34 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Once again I seem to be odd man out.  I haven't experienced gate personnel paying such close attention to carry-on bags that they would flag a bag for being an inch oversized. Occasionally I see a metal frame in the boarding area with a sign saying something like "your carry-on must fit in here", but to be honest I've never seen gate attendants use this to actually check bag size.   I don't dispute that others have seen this, but it has certainly not been my experience.  I imagine if someone tried to bring a full size suitcase onboard they would be stopped, but an inch oversized?  Seems very unlikely.  Likewise, I have seen flight attendants gate check carry-ons when the overheads are full, but the passenger has not been charged - and I've not seen them insist on gate checking a carry-on over a slight size violation.  On the contrary, I've seen them assist a passenger with an obviously oversized carry-on that wouldn't fit in the overhead by turning it sideways and forcing the cover to close.  It always amazes me how different individual experiences are, but I do wonder if all these cautions about a 1 inch oversized bag are a bit overblown. 

Our flight through Toronto on July 29 to Fort Lauderdale on Westjet had exactly this happening.  This was the first time I had seen it but they had one Westjet lady walking through the boarding area and bringing people up to show her that their carry on fit in the sizing device.  Almost none of the hard sided bags did (even though they would have been fine in the overhead bins, as some were smaller than mine and mine fits in the overhead bin with no issue) and then she made the people check them, but I do believe they were checking them for free.

23 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Newark consistently ranks in the top ten for airport delays. SLC has a much much better record. Call it a zoo or call it a place with nice people, the numbers do not lie.

• Like 1

the whole point of taking a carry on is that it does NOT get checked in....then risking waiting for it for a long time or risking it being lost...

Air transat goes against the most common measurements so they can charge you extra....

fortunately I have a carry on that is under the required dimensions....I did a trial pack and was amazed how much I can get in there...I am almost looking forward to the experience of going with only a carry on and a knapsack...yeah for 15 days...

• Haha 1

the whole point of taking a carry on is that it does NOT get checked in....then risking waiting for it for a long time or risking it being lost...

Air transat goes against the most common measurements so they can charge you extra....

fortunately I have a carry on that is under the required dimensions....I did a trial pack and was amazed how much I can get in there...I am almost looking forward to the experience of going with only a carry on and a knapsack...yeah for 15 days...

You nailed it but all budget airlines do this including, Spirit, Frontier, Allegiance, etc.  Also, they all can charge you on weight, too; usually it's 5-10lbs less than other airlines

• Like 1