Covid positive but Asymptotic

Scotico

19 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Didn't know about that law...thanks

I think that some rental companies get around this by charging different rates at different pickup/drop locations, but it won't be listed as a one-way drop charge. 

14 hours ago, KansasK said:

I hope we can find information on how much the spread of Covid increases with non-vaccinated people and no testing for vaccinated people, or if it does or doesn't.  I was on the Allure July 23 8 day cruise.  My husband and I wore masks inside, and were one of the very few who did. People crammed into elevators like Covid isn't around anymore. We flew home. Five days after I got home, I tested positive for Covid. I never thought I needed to go to an emergency room, but was in bed for 4 days. I felt better on the 5th and tested negative on the 6th. No long term symptoms, fortunately.  I don't know when I got it, but I will attest that Covid is still around and not everyone has almost no symptoms, like most people on this board seem to. 

Your mild case demonstrates the effectiveness of the vaccines.  Well done.

Since as you state, covid is everywhere, did you wear your masks on the planes to and from the port?  How about the transportation to and from the port? Inside the terminal?  Pre-cruise hotel?

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 6:51 PM, Scotico said:

So curious. If you tested positive for Covid 2-3 days before cruise and was vaccinated, would you still cruise? Since  you do not need to test if you are vaccinated, I suspect many would just cruise so they are not out any $$. 

Are you talking about after Sunday when they no longer require testing?  I suspect most people would and that you will see increased cases onboard.  

50 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Since as you state, covid is everywhere, did you wear your masks on the planes to and from the port?  How about the transportation to and from the port? Inside the terminal?  Pre-cruise hotel?

I always do and I seem to be the only person doing so. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

For sure.  But unlike when the tables were turned, you're not judged.

Good one bucfan2.  People should be able to go maskless if they so choose.  I have no problem with people who choose to wear a mask - just those who wear them selectively and even then it's their choice - just as long as they don't expect anyone else to follow their signal.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

For sure.  But unlike when the tables were turned, you're not judged.

Why would hey be judged for trying to protect others? My mask is in no way harmful to you, your lack of mask could be harmful to me. There is a difference.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

If I wear a mask. DW doesn't recognise my face

She votes for masks. 🤣

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I have no problem with people who choose to wear a mask - just those who wear them selectively

You keep saying this, but I truly don't understand what the problem is.  Not wearing a mask at dinner risks some exposure.  Not wearing a mask at the theatre risks some more exposure. 

Wearing a good mask at the theatre reduces that chance of exposure, so overall less chance of getting COVID.

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I would also cruise.

We would probably not, unless we were 14+ days post infection.  Some of the hospital protocols for medical staff are much less severe than they were just at the turn of the year.  We don't blame those that would or those that wouldn't for their opinion.  For others, protect yourself is your own first and best defense.  We're double vaccinated, boosted (I'm double) and post-vaccination and boosting, infected (I'm double).  Very, very mild symptoms after the 'wall' of day 1-2 of tiredness, aches, etc. which we tested negative for for days.

23 hours ago, Stockjock said:

There are risks in life that we cannot get around.  Eventually, every single one of us will no longer be on this planet.

Every time you go to the store, somebody probably has Covid. Every time you go to a restaurant, somebody probably has Covid. Every time you stay in a hotel or go on a cruise ship or fly on a plane, somebody probably has Covid. This is today’s reality. The good news is that the current strains, for most of us, are much more mild than the original alpha or delta variants.

Yep.  We believe we got our infection(s) from air travel (each time for me).  For the first time since 2019, the airport terminals are full, and the passengers are exhibiting a lot of coughing, sneezing and related symptoms.  On our recent flights, there was so much hacking going on it felt like 'the good old days' of flying during the cold and flu season.

However, you're right also that it could have been when we took our GKs to a restaurant in FLL, when we went grocery shopping in FLL, MD and NH thereafter, etc.  It's really just everywhere.  The 'aura' of testing positive for something that barely approached the level of a cold and certainly not the flu was the issue.

So, we're back to where we are to take care of ourselves with our health and risk decision making.  Although it sounds good, it is more altruistic to expect the general population to universally care about everyone else as your own opportunity to protect yourself with all of the protocols necessary.  It is what it is.

We haven't cruised since December 2019; we cruised 12 weeks that year.  That's our health risk decision based on our own health history and observations of the evolution of the virus as a pandemic to a likely endemic.

Good input.  Thanks.

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 9:46 AM, Stockjock said:

Every time you go to the store, somebody probably has Covid. Every time you go to a restaurant, somebody probably has Covid.

Yep.  I had symptoms while buying groceries.  They quarantined me for a week in the vegetable area.

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Why would hey be judged for trying to protect others? My mask is in no way harmful to you, your lack of mask could be harmful to me. There is a difference.

I agree with you!  Love it, knock yourself out, you win, BIG Big winner, etc etc....we don't care!  Sorry if you're looking for an argument....keep looking elsewhere.   Wear it anywhere...wear it everywhere.  Choice is yours...follow the approved protocols, or don't sail...that simple.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Yep.  I had symptoms while buying groceries.  They quarantined me for a week in the vegetable area.

Joking aside, the point is that the consequences of COVID on a cruise are much more dire than the consequences of COVID while shopping or eating at a restaurant at home. 

With grocery shopping you aren't trapped on the ocean, you don't deal with FCC's, you don't miss shore excursions, you didn't pay thousands of dollars to get there only to be sick all week, etc.  So we should expect protocols for cruising to be more strict.

• Like 3

On 8/29/2022 at 6:30 PM, MommaBear55 said:

You are lucky you did so well. There are hundreds in excess of usual dying each week from Covid on the US. 10% of all those who get Covid end up with long Covid. In my 40 years working in a hospital, I've never had a patient die of a cold. 

There is also people dying from Heart Attacks,Stroke, Car Accidents..Etc..more fear mongering

• Like 5

3 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I believe it’s very wrong to knowingly board with Covid. Being asymptomatic doesn’t mean you can’t spread it to others. Just because one person is asymptomatic, it doesn’t mean another person won’t end up very sick. 

Being asymptomatic means you don't have symptoms.  Without symptoms and not having to take a test how would you knowingly board with Covid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

Being asymptomatic means you don't have symptoms.  Without symptoms and not having to take a test how would you knowingly board with Covid

Post #1

On 8/29/2022 at 6:51 PM, Scotico said:

So curious. If you tested positive for Covid 2-3 days before cruise and was vaccinated, would you still cruise? Since  you do not need to test if you are vaccinated, I suspect many would just cruise so they are not out any $$. 

On 8/29/2022 at 7:52 PM, Scotico said:

I hope all cruisers think like you. Unfortunately many only think for themselves and do not care if it’s spread to someone else. Have seen this a lot at Disney where you will see a park guest sick as a dog going around the park on all the rides. 

Then they wouldn't be able to move out of house (not speaking of going to rides).  I typically don't see walking dead.

• Like 1