Military Discount Identification?

zanydoc

Hello, fellow Royals! I finally was able to snag a military discount for our upcoming Independence cruise and trying to figure out what to bring for the identification. My husband is a Coast Guard Veteran honorably discharged after 6 years of service, 28 years ago. He has a Veteran’s ID card with his picture and the paperwork (Discharge papers). On the Royal website it says he is supposed to have a United States UNIFORMED Blue identification card. This is not something that we have as he is not active duty. Will these ID’s be sufficient? Thanks for your help! 

• Like 1

I asked about the military discount on my harmony cruise next year was told since it was on sale there would be no discounts. I know MSc has a ten percent discount and I believe I got a extra 100 in OBC on my celebrity cruise.

in Texas if you bring in your dd214 they add that you are a veteran on your drivers license.

Edited by George C
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, George C said:

I asked about the military discount on my harmony cruise next year was told since it was on sale there would be no discounts. I know MSc has a ten percent discount and I believe I got a extra 100 in OBC on my celebrity cruise.

in Texas if you bring in your dd214 they add that you are a veteran on your drivers license.

Unlike other lines who truly honor Veteran's with a military discount on all sailings either with a standard % off or a set OBC Royal uses it as a marketing tool to try to promote sales.  It is a way for them to lower the price of the cabin on sailings that aren't selling to entice Veteran's to book without exposing themselves to large numbers of people already booked calling in for price drops.  Poor policy by Royal IMO.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Unlike other lines who truly honor Veteran's with a military discount on all sailings either with a standard % off or a set OBC Royal uses it as a marketing tool to try to promote sales.  It is a way for them to lower the price of the cabin on sailings that aren't selling to entice Veteran's to book without exposing themselves to large numbers of people already booked calling in for price drops.  Poor policy by Royal IMO.

Agreed. They definitely should not use it as a marketing tool. We live by Pensacola where many businesses offer good military discounts and truly appreciate and honor our veterans. This is the first time in all of our sailings that I tried the military discount and it actually worked in our favor to the tune of $300 less than the “sale” price. So, I want to make sure not to mess it up. I appreciate all of everyone’s responses and I will bring his Veteran’s card and the DD form as well just to be safe. Odd that many people reported that they didn’t even ask for the identification. 

Edited by zanydoc
  • Like 1

We toured the Intrepid in NYC and I saw there was a discount for veterans, since I had no proof they wouldn’t give it to me . I had to show dd214 at Lowes but now get ten percent discount and there is even preferred parking. I like having it on driver’s license.

1 minute ago, zanydoc said:

Agreed. They definitely should not use it as a marketing tool. We live by Pensacola where many businesses offer good military discounts and truly appreciate and honor our veterans. This is the first time in all of our sailings that I tried the military discount and it actually worked in our favor to the tune of $300 less than the “sale” price. So, I want to make sure not to mess it up. I appreciate all of everyone’s responses and I will bring his Veteran’s card and the DD form picture as well just to be safe. Odd that many people reported that they didn’t even ask for the identification. 

The check-in people at the port are only interested in marking off the boxes on their handheld devices for passport, completed set sail pass, vaccine if required, test if required, and security photo, and moving the line along.  They do not have the time nor interest to see if someone meets the requirements for whatever discounts they got.  I've used the military discount at least 25 times in the past year and not once was asked to prove it.  I do carry a hard copy of one of my DD-214s in my carry on bag.  It wouldn't surprise me if non-veterans are checking the box and getting it with no questions. 

At least Princess required me to email a DD-214 which they kept on file so I didn't have to do it again. for their OBC on every cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zanydoc said:

Hello, fellow Royals! I finally was able to snag a military discount for our upcoming Independence cruise and trying to figure out what to bring for the identification. My husband is a Coast Guard Veteran honorably discharged after 6 years of service, 28 years ago. He has a Veteran’s ID card with his picture and the paperwork (Discharge papers). On the Royal website it says he is supposed to have a United States UNIFORMED Blue identification card. This is not something that we have as he is not active duty. Will these ID’s be sufficient? Thanks for your help! 

I always have a copy of my husbands DD214 with me.  In 137 cruises, they have never asked for it!!

DH simply carries his VA card (always anyway).   Has never been asked to show it...but he does have it available if needed.

On maybe 20% or less of our booked cruises, did the Military discount come into play.  Hit and miss, though agree with others...Military discounts should be a given on all cruises to those that have served their country....or does RCI simply not care?  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

DH simply carries his VA card (always anyway).   Has never been asked to show it...but he does have it available if needed.

On maybe 20% or less of our booked cruises, did the Military discount come into play.  Hit and miss, though agree with others...Military discounts should be a given on all cruises to those that have served their country....or does RCI simply not care?  

Agree. I have always received a military discount with Celebrity. They also don't require prof but I always Cary it just in case. Also with Celebrity on a sea day the CD and the captain will host a Veterans gathering. With Princess it's a standing OBC. Once you submit a copy of your DD 214 all cruises going forward the Veteran will receive a $100.00 OBC. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Agree. I have always received a military discount with Celebrity. They also don't require prof but I always Cary it just in case. Also with Celebrity on a sea day the CD and the captain will host a Veterans gathering. With Princess it's a standing OBC. Once you submit a copy of your DD 214 all cruises going forward the Veteran will receive a $100.00 OBC. 

That’s nice! We’ve only been on 1 Princess  cruise and that was many years ago. Maybe we’ll have to try again. My husband does usually go to the military appreciation event they have on most Royal cruises. It’s a nice way to meet other veterans and thank them for their service, too. 

3 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

That’s nice! We’ve only been on 1 Princess  cruise and that was many years ago. Maybe we’ll have to try again. My husband does usually go to the military appreciation event they have on most Royal cruises. It’s a nice way to meet other veterans and thank them for their service, too. 

Our last princess cruise was 2010.

Interesting. Is this posted in the Cruise Compass? If so I've never noticed.