A change in entertainment, maybe?

Silver Spectre

10 hours ago, Older Party said:

I produced a concert with Sarah Brightman in Bangkok in 2006 and her rate at that time was 250K ++.  Each plus equals 35% of the performers fee.  I also hired a 50 piece orchestra to play for her.  She provided her first chair violin, plus her sound and lighting people, her road manager and her hair and makeup people.  I housed everyone at The Peninsula.  All in, my costs were over 400K.  

Headline entertainment is very very pricey, and not only is it pricey, their riders add huge costs, time, and effort.  So why not Sarah Brightman?  After my years producing the entertainment for SS, I would guess she is simply out of their price range.

like perks for hairdressers, auto for assts & special beds etc.

2 hours ago, zqtchas said:

like perks for hairdressers, auto for assts & special beds etc.

I housed both her team and mine at The Peninsula Bangkok.  We had their car service, which yes, added cost.  She was absolutely lovely to work with, as was everyone on her team.  The only thing in her rider I could not provide was a car on the tarmac, and the ability to clear immigration there as well, something we used to do pre 9/11.

15 minutes ago, Older Party said:

I housed both her team and mine at The Peninsula Bangkok.  We had their car service, which yes, added cost.  She was absolutely lovely to work with, as was everyone on her team.  The only thing in her rider I could not provide was a car on the tarmac, and the ability to clear immigration there as well, something we used to do pre 9/11.

I wasn't talking about her. I meant in general ( Streisand, Aretha Franklyn ). 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Okay, so outside of special favors and one-off performances, my point is between SS and Seabourn there really should be a more favorable comparison of the entertainment quality.  Seems SS is really lagging.

It's not as if Royal Caribbean who own Silversea can't afford to get decent entertainment.

Whatever SS has for entertainment today is many times better than ten years ago.  Of course,  my interest in entertainment is limited a decent piano player in the space where my booze is consumed.

Their night club duo has never been a disappointment.    Something I cannot say about Observation Bar piano players so many times on SB trips.  Some good, some not so good and a few that have been plain lousy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

It's not as if Royal Caribbean who own Silversea can't afford to get decent entertainment.

But at what cost?  Is Silversea/Royal Caribbean willing to eat into their profit or will they simply raise the prices?  It seems every time they add a service to their "all inclusive" fare, such as Blacklane transfers or included excursions, the price goes up.  Top level entertainment will only be on the ships for a limited engagement.  Will they raise the fares on particular sailings that feature such talent or have a cover charge on the ship?  

2 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

It seems every time they add a service to their "all inclusive" fare, such as Blacklane transfers or included excursions, the price goes up. 

There's an "arms race" going on in the luxury segment....who can have the most inclusions in their "all-inclusive" offering.

I'm waiting for the first cruiseline to offer sedan chair service around the ship, so guests won't even have to bother walking from one place to another.

• Haha 5

Exactly why I like Seabourn.

I don't do included tours and never would.

I generally book my own flights unless Seabourn has better rates on Business class flights.

I get free laundry,dry cleaning and pressing and 25% discount off the wine list.

A free seven day cruise for every 140 days sailed and I get free unlimited WiFi.

There are a few other perks which I may or may not use but most of all I get excellent service from a very hard working crew.

What's not to like 😁

• Like 2

Do your homework and I believe SB beats SS for freebie days rebate for a frequent sailor.  Also, surprised the expedition ships are included with SS.   I'll find out while on board Moon next month if the recently purchased ship from Crystal is on the list.   Both owe me 14 days.  Gotta use them before they are lost.....as happened with Crystal.   

On 9/13/2022 at 12:15 PM, FlyerTalker said:

There's an "arms race" going on in the luxury segment....who can have the most inclusions in their "all-inclusive" offering.

I'm waiting for the first cruiseline to offer sedan chair service around the ship, so guests won't even have to bother walking from one place to another.

And when they do some will say the chairs are too high, too low, too fast or slow, I want to walk so I should get a refund.

• Haha 4

Uh, wait a minute - we can now get sedan chairs to carry us around the ship??  Does this include people with ostrich feather fans walking alongside, fanning the flies away??  There is an amenities race amongst the luxury lines, but this takes it up a notch.  Ideally, we would have Jainist folks with brooms sweeping the way in front of the procession, and hopefully young persons strewing rose petals in front of the procession.  I'm liking these new efforts to attract business - will there be an extra charge for the fellows with trumpets announcing that Mr McGillicuddy, of Suite 738, is coming through - make way!!  He needs to get to his appointed deck chair stat!!  

• Haha 3

Sorry, someone went out and put a book and magazine on two of the sedan chairs at 6 am to hold them for the day, so even though we haven't seen anyone in them all morning, there's no chair available for Mr McGillicuddy; maybe check back later this afternoon. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

• 11 months later...

The main reason for the mediocre shows on Silversea is simply due to the fact that entertainment has never been a priority for them. Furthermore, they hire cruise staff who sing rather than seasoned professionals so that they can take advantage and make them do additional duties that have nothing to do with their profession. For example: passport duty, gangway duties, tea chat with guests, playing golf etc. SilverSea needs a complete overhaul with the entertainment program. 

16 minutes ago, TheatreGuy101 said:

The main reason for the mediocre shows on Silversea is simply due to the fact that entertainment has never been a priority for them. Furthermore, they hire cruise staff who sing rather than seasoned professionals so that they can take advantage and make them do additional duties that have nothing to do with their profession. For example: passport duty, gangway duties, tea chat with guests, playing golf etc. SilverSea needs a complete overhaul with the entertainment program. 

I thought that Silversea was switching over to RCL’s larger and more robust entertainment contract.  Supposedly Celebrity has better entertainment under that contract.  In fact, I thought that had already happened and the older Silversea contract was not renewed.   Has that not happened?   

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 7:40 AM, TheatreGuy101 said:

On the Nova currently and I have to not agree with your assessment. The entertainment is great and we loved the shows so far. Much better than the old Voices of Silversea.

• Thanks 2

On 8/23/2023 at 8:00 AM, Randyk47 said:

I thought that Silversea was switching over to RCL’s larger and more robust entertainment contract.  Supposedly Celebrity has better entertainment under that contract.  In fact, I thought that had already happened and the older Silversea contract was not renewed.   Has that not happened?   

It has on the Nova!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A Tucson Guy said:

On the Nova currently and I have to not agree with your assessment. The entertainment is great and we loved the shows so far. Much better than the old Voices of Silversea.

Tell us more!!!  Love to read specifics, details.  What are they doing, how is it different, what types of music, entertainment?  Any visuals to share?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

13 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Tell us more!!!  Love to read specifics, details.  What are they doing, how is it different, what types of music, entertainment?  Any visuals to share?

I saw videos from my TA showing a Bond themed performance.

It did look good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I saw videos from my TA showing a Bond themed performance.  It did look good.

Love the James Bond 007 music, especially those songs by Shirley Bassey, Paul McCartney, Carly Simon, Sheena Easton and Tina Turner.  Sounds exciting and fun.  Keep it coming with these types of details.  

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

On 8/23/2023 at 10:40 AM, TheatreGuy101 said:

While I agree with you Silversea has never made entertainment a priority, when I created the all vocal program, the requirement was for professional performers, average age 32.  Cliff Perry removed all the extra duties in order to attract the best talent possible to Silversea.  I hired Vicki Van Tassel, who was quite reluctant to take the contract.  Our Music Director, Michael Brennan, had worked with Vicki when he conducted Mamma Mia, which is how she came to us.  Many of our Artists were AEA members, most AEA eligible.  I cannot speak for the company that replaced us, but when Choozi was hiring the entertainers, they were all professionals.

• Thanks 2