A change in entertainment, maybe?

Silver Spectre

50 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Luna Rossa, the production company for the Voices, has just announced that its beginning to wind down on SS. Looks like we may be getting something new on the Shadow for the WC. I do find it strange that nothing has been forthcoming from SS about this.

There was an announcement from one of the Executives on LinkedIn or some other networking site, who said they were working on upgrading their entertainment.  I assumed then that the current production company was probably on the way out.  

RCCL has the best, most well oiled cruise ship entertainment company, Royal Caribbean Productions.  They produce all their on board entertainment, including fabricating all the costuming, sets, etc.  They hire production companies to create their shows, however the difference is they are "work for hire" companies, not "turn key" companies, like SS has been using.  I have thought all along RCP would eventually take over the entertainment, but I have no idea who will be doing it.  I do know RWS has tried for years to get this contract, even when I was producing the entertainment.

Another perk re: RCCL is that they hire their entertainers as employees.  When I created the first dive show for the Oasis, our two high divers, who dove off the 51' towers, were the only Independent Contractors onboard.  They also had to provide their own liability insurance, as opposed to the rest of the cast who had the typical P&I coverage.  

When Cliff and I were creating the entertainment program for Viking Ocean, I tried to get him to use the Disney and RCCL model where the entertainment was concerned, and switch to hiring them as employees.  We were using my brother Christopher's new company at the time, Sky-King Entertainment, to create the shows.  We were in the middle of it all when Cliff passed.  It will be interesting to see what SS comes up with.  Even though I created the all vocal program for SS, I thought it long past its shelf life at least 2 years ago. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If Silversea is, indeed, about to overhaul its entertainment offering, it's not before time. Some of the young singers are very good indeed but it must be soul-destroying for them having to perform what is, basically, Karaoke.

As for the "band", every ship seems to have an identikit copy of the same group, playing the same set list without any excitement or swing (even the DJs seem to have the same play-list!).

After a few Silversea cruises, our most recent was on Seabourn. What a difference! In addition to doing their own shows, the band accompanied the ship's singers as well as backing the guest entertainers - for which they had to rehearse new material at least every other day. What a delight having accomplished musicians able to showcase their individual and collective talents!

Although over the years we've actually spent more time on Silversea than Seabourn, that's because of Silversea's expedition programme. It is still the case that when we embark on a Seabourn vessel, it feels like we're coming home and that's in no small part due to the entertainment.

• Like 3

We recently completed an 18 day cruise around the Med on the Dawn. I think we signed up for this in 2020 and it was sold as an 18 day cruise, last year they began to sell it as 2 9 day cruises. I found that this did change the entertainment on board. Any cruise 14 days or longer can have guest entertainers on board so our 18 day cruise could have 2 guest entertainers to give a bit of variety. So neither of the 9 day cruises could have a guest entertainer. This meant that on the second 9 days the entertainment was identical to the first 9 days.

I do hope RCC do take over the entertainment. A grand daughter of ours went through their training and had just over a year on board one of their big ships before covid hit. I am biased but she is very good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

We recently completed an 18 day cruise around the Med on the Dawn. I think we signed up for this in 2020 and it was sold as an 18 day cruise, last year they began to sell it as 2 9 day cruises. I found that this did change the entertainment on board. Any cruise 14 days or longer can have guest entertainers on board so our 18 day cruise could have 2 guest entertainers to give a bit of variety. So neither of the 9 day cruises could have a guest entertainer. This meant that on the second 9 days the entertainment was identical to the first 9 days.

I do hope RCC do take over the entertainment. A grand daughter of ours went through their training and had just over a year on board one of their big ships before covid hit. I am biased but she is very good.

I completely agree.  With our Grand Mediterranean Voyage this past spring, it was 4 legs with the option to just book one or two or book all 4 and be a "grand voyage" guest.  This resulted in the same 3 or 4 shows being played over and over each leg for 34 days.  We didn't care for the entertainment and wish they had offered a featured artist that performed something other than the usual Broadway show tunes or rock music revues.  No classical music performers were features.  We left that suggestion in the feedback at the end of our voyage.  There was one artist onboard from the Ukraine who had a remarkable voice and we wished he had his own show. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear this.  We are just off our first SS cruise on Whisper and the “Voices of Silversea” were like a nice high school effort.  The choreography was amateurish and the production value was a “d”.  I went to several performances and walked out of each.  

• Like 1

Just home from The Muse to Alaska and found the entertainers pretty good. Of course, I don't sail expecting "Broadway".  And from looking around the theater during the performances, most folks seem to enjoy themselves.  The last night was the "Tribute to Queen"........"Bohemian Rhapsody".  The audience gave the show a standing O........unless everyone was just trying "to be nice",( and I seriously doubt that).....the majority of folks seemed to enjoy it.

Guess we all have different tastes.........

• Like 2

Sailed on Seabourn Encore in August and we had many different entertainers and a dance troop brought on for an afternoon show poolside in Turkey.

We also has Sarah Brightman give a very special concert one evening and an evening concert by Jonathan Antoine at Ephesus.

Plus the Seabourn singers and a dance due from Ukraine.

Nothing to complain about.

9 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Just home from The Muse to Alaska and found the entertainers pretty good. Of course, I don't sail expecting "Broadway".  And from looking around the theater during the performances, most folks seem to enjoy themselves.  The last night was the "Tribute to Queen"........"Bohemian Rhapsody".  The audience gave the show a standing O........unless everyone was just trying "to be nice",( and I seriously doubt that).....the majority of folks seemed to enjoy it.

Guess we all have different tastes.........

Lois R, we heard quite a few positive comments about the shows so we understand our expectations are different from others.  We were just hoping for a bit more variety on our 5 week time aboard the Moon and hope they will consider our recommendations for such in the future.  Even those who enjoyed the shows after seeing them the first go around were hoping they would offer different performances for the remainder of the voyage.  It made us wonder if this is the case with the World Cruises where folks are onboard for many months.  Do they offer more variety or just the same few shows repeated?

34 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Lois R, we heard quite a few positive comments about the shows so we understand our expectations are different from others.  We were just hoping for a bit more variety on our 5 week time aboard the Moon and hope they will consider our recommendations for such in the future.  Even those who enjoyed the shows after seeing them the first go around were hoping they would offer different performances for the remainder of the voyage.  It made us wonder if this is the case with the World Cruises where folks are onboard for many months.  Do they offer more variety or just the same few shows repeated?

Hi, I can understand that....I have never been lucky enough to sail for 5 weeks straight so cannot speak on it specifically.  But I can see your point with a cruise of that length and having a few different choices. You need answers from those folks who have done the Grand Voyages/World Cruises😀

I was speaking in general really.  Over the years of cruising, isn't entertainment like everything else, when it comes to likes and dislikes in the major categories?  Some like the food, some not so much, some enjoy the shows, other folks, not so much?

Just seems like there are always folks who disagree on things. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

As noted, Seabourn has a live band for its production shows, which definitely beats performances with  a pre-recorded soundtrack. (The singers and dancers are employed and trained by a separate company, Belinda King Creative Productions.) These aren't Broadway quality on ships as small as the Seabourn fleet, but we've found them generally quite good. And the production shows rotate, so they aren't the same ones one back-to-back cruises. Even on a 7-day voyage, they have guest entertainers, typically on at least 2 nights, which include musicians, comedians and magicians — most of whom have been pretty good. I'm hoping that whatever changes SS will be rolling out will match if not exceed the entertainment Seabourn offers. 

On 9/7/2022 at 11:26 PM, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

I completely agree.  With our Grand Mediterranean Voyage this past spring, it was 4 legs with the option to just book one or two or book all 4 and be a "grand voyage" guest.  This resulted in the same 3 or 4 shows being played over and over each leg for 34 days.  We didn't care for the entertainment and wish they had offered a featured artist that performed something other than the usual Broadway show tunes or rock music revues.  No classical music performers were features.  We left that suggestion in the feedback at the end of our voyage.  There was one artist onboard from the Ukraine who had a remarkable voice and we wished he had his own show. 

I am guessing the Ukrainian singer was Dmitry. On our first leg of our cruise he had a 30 minute pre dinner show. He can dance as well! Got to know him as he was often put on the afternoon putting session.

His show wasn't repeated on the second leg.

FWIW, Seabourn ships have twice the number of musicians and singers than the larger Silversea ships. I have counted them on a few successive cruises. And there is more variety of entertainment events on board. For example, how often do Silversea ships host sailaway parties with live music? 

So… what is Silversea waiting for? Found out and found out the package! I hope all this talk about Royal Caribbean improving the status quo is not just wishful thinking.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 8:05 AM, Mr Luxury said:

Sailed on Seabourn Encore in August and we had many different entertainers and a dance troop brought on for an afternoon show poolside in Turkey.

We also has Sarah Brightman give a very special concert one evening and an evening concert by Jonathan Antoine at Ephesus.

Plus the Seabourn singers and a dance due from Ukraine.

Nothing to complain about.

Thanks for letting us know what can be expected on a Seabourn cruise.  Sign me up!  

On 9/9/2022 at 2:42 PM, saminina said:

Thanks for letting us know what can be expected on a Seabourn cruise.  Sign me up!

Just don't expect Sarah Brightman or someone of similar stature on your cruise! But you can count on the live band plus the trip of singers and dancers, plus the trio, plus the piano player to provide plenty of entertainment on your cruise. 

15 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Just don't expect Sarah Brightman or someone of similar stature on your cruise! But you can count on the live band plus the trip of singers and dancers, plus the trio, plus the piano player to provide plenty of entertainment on your cruise. 

Why not Sarah Brightman?  With the similar pricing and same target demographic as Seabourn I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect more parity in the caliber of the entertainment.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Why not Sarah Brightman?  With the similar pricing and same target demographic as Seabourn I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect more parity in the caliber of the entertainment.   

I produced a concert with Sarah Brightman in Bangkok in 2006 and her rate at that time was 250K ++.  Each plus equals 35% of the performers fee.  I also hired a 50 piece orchestra to play for her.  She provided her first chair violin, plus her sound and lighting people, her road manager and her hair and makeup people.  I housed everyone at The Peninsula.  All in, my costs were over 400K.  

Headline entertainment is very very pricey, and not only is it pricey, their riders add huge costs, time, and effort.  So why not Sarah Brightman?  After my years producing the entertainment for SS, I would guess she is simply out of their price range.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

You aren't suggesting Sarah has a regular gig on Seabourn, are you? A star of her quality and price tag may do one-off appearances on very special occasions. Much as has Andrea Bocelli, as Stumblefoot points out, on an occasion on Silversea.  For regular appearances you'd need your own (very large) yacht.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Hard to believe since SS has hosted Andrea Bocelli in the past.

Headliners have many considerations when they accept one-off gigs, and it's not just their rate of pay, it's also their riders.  Riders oftentimes cost more than their fee.  Other considerations are the location of the event (sometimes its just someplace they want to go), whether they are currently touring or not (if not, their team may be working other gigs and are not available).  They also look at what perks might be included in the gig.  Jennifer Hudson accepted our contract for a private concert at the Sydney Opera House because of the venue, plus she only had to do 45 minutes, and an executive meet and greet after the concert.  Nice work if you can get it (said with tongue in cheek).