How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

So, you could bid on the Sky Suite? Min starting bid was $1845 PP?  Length of cruise?  TIA

Interesting…

Yes! A 7 day Mexico cruise.  As I am traveling by myself, I absolutely do not need or want a Sky Suite.

14 hours ago, partybarbie said:

It’s personalized for the cruise that we’re booked on. 

l forgot to mention that the price to bid on an upgrade from our inside cabin to a balcony was $1025.00. If we had really wanted a balcony, I could have booked one for less when I made the original booking.

Is the bid price of $1025 per person or the total cost?  

4 hours ago, L11 said:

I saw that on the deck plan, but even the description in the upgrade offer said they were subject to strong wind when underway. I like to sit outside and embroider on part of every sea day so no bueno for me.  I was tempted though. That big balcony does look nice!

True. But, they also mentioned that the wind isn't much of an issue, if you're sitting down.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I just read the web page about bidding. It's unclear whether one gets an email if they used a TA or the TA gets it and forwards it to you. Does anyone have clarity on this point?

The TA gets it and either forwards or contacts you about it. If you book with Princess directly, the email comes to you without middle man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scooter6139 said:

This is the same system NCL uses for it bidding system.  There is a slider taht starts at zero (no bid) then increases by a set denomination.  They also have an "offer strength" to let you know how good of a chance the system says you have of succeeding (but it's pretty useless)

Below is an example (we are in a lower Haven cabin, looking at bidding to the highest category available)  Lowest bid is $750

image.png.7c1a05506357ddb8b1ae37c6aa47b40b.png

Have you seen them come back with better bidding price minimums, closer to departure?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1cruiselvr said:

Depends on the TA. Their information says some TA bookings are marked do not upgrade due to how it’s booked. I assume pricing. 

Do you know if there will be an override

for bookings marked “do not upgrade,” for the bidding process?

Or, will those bookings be included?

It is actually a different process.

Maybe someone out there will let us know.

• Like 1

I just received a "Bid to upgrade your stateroom!" email on my 14-day Canada and New England repositioning cruise on the Caribbean Princess embarking on 20 October 2022. The Cruise Personalizer shows this cruise as "Currently Not Available".

I am currently in a Window Suite. Lots of suite categories are available for bid. Minimum bids available are $2,680 per person for a Grand Suite, $1,930 per person for an Owner's Suite, $1,250 per person for a Penthouse Suite (Aft Facing), $1,180 per person for a Penthouse Suite, $880 per person for a Premium Suite, or $730 per person for a Vista Suite.

I'm not interested in any of these at these minimum bids. I don't need a balcony on a Canada and New England cruise, and my current midship location on the Fiesta deck is perfect for DW with mobility issues.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Do you know if there will be an override

for bookings marked “do not upgrade,” for the bidding process?

Or, will those bookings be included?

It is actually a different process.

Maybe someone out there will let us know.

I am wondering about this as well.  I always mark our cabin as "do not upgrade."  However, with this new process, I might be willing to change my mind. 

In their FAQ it. Doesn’t mention anything about bookings with do not upgrade set on them. It only says this:

1. How do I check whether my cruise is eligible for Princess Upgrade?
    You should receive an email invitation after all eligibility requirements are met and have opted-in to receive marketing emails from Princess. If you meet all the eligibility requirements but still cannot access the bidding site, please check with your travel advisor as a small number of travel agencies have elected to limit access partially or fully to this program.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I am wondering about this as well.  I always mark our cabin as "do not upgrade."  However, with this new process, I might be willing to change my mind. 

If you are willing to take a chance on cabin location as you do not get to choose a specific cabin. It’s like a gty. Personally, I don’t think any deals are happening. 

18 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

I just received a "Bid to upgrade your stateroom!" email on my 14-day Canada and New England repositioning cruise on the Caribbean Princess embarking on 20 October 2022. The Cruise Personalizer shows this cruise as "Currently Not Available".

I am currently in a Window Suite. Lots of suite categories are available for bid. Minimum bids available are $2,680 per person for a Grand Suite, $1,930 per person for an Owner's Suite, $1,250 per person for a Penthouse Suite (Aft Facing), $1,180 per person for a Penthouse Suite, $880 per person for a Premium Suite, or $730 per person for a Vista Suite.

I'm not interested in any of these at these minimum bids. I don't need a balcony on a Canada and New England cruise, and my current midship location on the Fiesta deck is perfect for DW with mobility issues.

Maybe they are just throwing everything out there - even if really sold out - to see how guests react.  Just because bids are submitted doesn't mean Princess has to accept them and provide the upgrade.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

The only deal would be getting an upgraded cabin for less than it would cost to purchase outright. 

Very true. But some must have jumped on the upgrade offer on my cruise bc suites were available this morning and are shown sold out now. I hope those folks got a deal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 1cruiselvr said:

If you are willing to take a chance on cabin location as you do not get to choose a specific cabin. It’s like a gty. Personally, I don’t think any deals are happening. 

Thanks, not interested in bidding on something like that.

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Have you seen them come back with better bidding price minimums, closer to departure?

To be honest, this is the first time we've been invited to bid, so it's all new to us.  

From what I've read in the NCL forums, the bid pricing does not change, but the upgrade/room cost can still fluctuate as the cruise get's closer.  I've read a lot of cruisers just upgrade to a new room/category for less than their bids were for before the cruise.  (FYI - we happened to get an upgrade months ago to our current room when the pricing was at it's lowest.  NCL Haven pricing has since skyrocketed above the launch price lately just to prepare for the bidding process.)

Green line is Haven pricing, averaged (or perhaps lowest category?)

image.thumb.png.7340ff7197d3c40613863895c1e94687.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Maybe they are just throwing everything out there - even if really sold out - to see how guests react.  Just because bids are submitted doesn't mean Princess has to accept them and provide the upgrade.

I don’t know why Princess would waste their time like that. 

3 minutes ago, 1cruiselvr said:

I don’t know why Princess would waste their time like that. 

There is always a chance of a cancellation or a no show, so they could be holding some approvals off until day of or perhaps even sail away.

We got my folks upgraded from a Club Mini to a Penthouse Suite for much less than we paid for the same thing, just had to check post-sailing (they really wanted to join us in the Concierge Lounge for drinks and snacks)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

To be honest, this is the first time we've been invited to bid, so it's all new to us.  

From what I've read in the NCL forums, the bid pricing does not change, but the upgrade/room cost can still fluctuate as the cruise get's closer.  I've read a lot of cruisers just upgrade to a new room/category for less than their bids were for before the cruise.  (FYI - we happened to get an upgrade months ago to our current room when the pricing was at it's lowest.  NCL Haven pricing has since skyrocketed above the launch price lately just to prepare for the bidding process.)

Green line is Haven pricing, averaged (or perhaps lowest category?)

image.thumb.png.7340ff7197d3c40613863895c1e94687.png

Thank you for that reply.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Might also include them because some might open up if their current occupants bid and win a higher category.  Better from the company point of view to have a couple of bids out there if one opens up instead of missing out on the potential revenue. If one does not open up well then their bid did not win.

6 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

There is always a chance of a cancellation or a no show, so they could be holding some approvals off until day of or perhaps even sail away.

We got my folks upgraded from a Club Mini to a Penthouse Suite for much less than we paid for the same thing, just had to check post-sailing (they really wanted to join us in the Concierge Lounge for drinks and snacks)

I was responding to the person who commented that Princess was just interested in how guests would bid, not a serious process. You have a valid point. 

• Like 1