How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

11 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

There is always a chance of a cancellation or a no show, so they could be holding some approvals off until day of or perhaps even sail away.

We got my folks upgraded from a Club Mini to a Penthouse Suite for much less than we paid for the same thing, just had to check post-sailing (they really wanted to join us in the Concierge Lounge for drinks and snacks)

What do you mean by post sailing?

3 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I’m pretty disappointed in the system having now read accounts of the actual bid amounts. If you were getting an actual deal, that would be great, like the upsells. I’ll still be curious to see if we encounter any good deals for our cruise, but it seems unlikely based on what pax have reported so far. 

If you make a bid and it is the weak range..or a bit higher than weak, does it mean it will be unlikely you will get the cabin or are they just trying to get more out of us?

3 hours ago, 1cruiselvr said:

The TA gets it and either forwards or contacts you about it. If you book with Princess directly, the email comes to you without middle man. 

The emails I received yesterday from Princess come as a single email to the TA and the clients ( all on same email)-  no forwarding needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1cruiselvr said:

I was responding to the person who commented that Princess was just interested in how guests would bid, not a serious process. You have a valid point. 

I didn't mean it as you put it.  That said, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that certain Princess execs are going to be watching this process intently to see how it goes and what it means or might mean in new revenue stream.  I realize this is serious, but it is certainly possible that some categories bid into may not be satisfied with success.

• Like 1

Received the upgrade offer for Discovery in October last night.  I bid on three upgrade choices.  Based on what I am reading on this thread the offers are tailored to what someone booked and the starting point varies based on the sold out status of the ship.  The meter of weak to strong is probably more of a marketing ploy than a realistic indicator but we will find out when people start posting their experiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelly97060 said:

The emails I received yesterday from Princess come as a single email to the TA and the clients ( all on same email)-  no forwarding needed. 

If my TA got it, I have no way of knowing...mine came from Princess to me.

23 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I just read the web page about bidding. It's unclear whether one gets an email if they used a TA or the TA gets it and forwards it to you. Does anyone have clarity on this point?

I got mine from Princess.

6 hours ago, Crow9 said:

I would only do this if it were bidding on specific room numbers, but when bidding on a type of room, that room could be anywhere.

In some cases it’s not too difficult to see what the options are - higher level suites, forward facing club class mini and club class mini have all been discussed as identifiable. Otherwise, I’d need to feel that even the worst cabin in a category would be worth it. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Do you know if there will be an override

for bookings marked “do not upgrade,” for the bidding process?

Or, will those bookings be included?

Even if you have marked your cruise for Princess not to upgrade, you even without this bidding program could have always chosen to purchase an upgrade.

This, to me is the same. If you want to not be upgraded, do not make a bid. But if you may a bid and it is accepted, it is because you, not Princess, chose to upgrade you

I assume Princess would send the offers to maker a bid to everyone on a cruise except those where npo higher category exists. Would not matter if marked do not upgrade or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, sandancer said:

Does anyone know if this is limited to North American guests. Several on our roll call have reported receiving the email. We haven’t nor has the other couple from the UK on the rollcall. 

Here are the rules:

https://www.princess.com/plan/princess-cruise-room-upgrade/terms-and-conditions/

A quick glance does not find it being limited to NA guests (but I could have missed that), but it does say that not all guests on a cruise will be invited to bid and not all eligible to bid will receive an invitation.

Here is part of the information:

The Program provides select booked guests with an opportunity to submit an offer to PCL to upgrade from their originally purchased stateroom category to a higher stateroom category for select PCL cruises. Program is not open to general public and is only open to guests that PCL has selected to participate.

Eligibility: The Program is only available to PCL guests ("Eligible Program Guest" or "Guest"), which guests will be determined by PCL in its sole discretion. Guests who are determined by PCL to be eligible for the Program can confirm their eligibility by visiting the Site as set out in the paragraph below. Some Guests will also receive a Program email invitation from PCL. Invitation and eligibility as a Guest may not be transferred or shared. Selection of Guests will be in PCL's sole discretion, but all Guests must be at least 21 years of age or older, must have booked a PCL Cruise (as defined below), and provided final payment on such Cruise. Individuals deemed Eligible Program Guests for one cruise does not guarantee that such guests will also be Eligible Program Guests for future PCL cruises, if any.

In addition to the official Program email, guests can check to see if they are Eligible Program Guests by accessing the Program landing page website (the "site") via links on princess.com or via the Cruise Personalizer on princess.com to see if they are able to submit a bid. If the Program does not show as available on such page or the guest is not able to submit a Bid (as defined below), then such guest is not eligible for this Program.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have 4 sailings that fit the eligibility requirements for this but I’ve not received a single email invite. Checked my spam, checked my settings allowing marketing from Princess. 
when I go into my Cruise Personalizer there is a button for Bid For an Upgrade. All it does is take me to the basic information page. No way to bid. I am working with my CVP on it. 

For those of you who have received email invites to bid can you also bid through your Cruise Personalizer?  

• Thanks 2

Received an email 2 days ago to bid on S0 (Sky) from $2200 per person or (S2) Owner's from $150 per person for my 1 October cruise. I have an aft facing S3 marked NO UPGRADE so you can still be sent the notice. 

Keeping my cabin. The min bid for the S2 is not bad but much prefer my lower deck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I have 4 sailings that fit the eligibility requirements for this but I’ve not received a single email invite. Checked my spam, checked my settings allowing marketing from Princess. 
when I go into my Cruise Personalizer there is a button for Bid For an Upgrade. All it does is take me to the basic information page. No way to bid. I am working with my CVP on it. 

For those of you who have received email invites to bid can you also bid through your Cruise Personalizer?  

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

Bidding Eligibility

To be eligible to submit a bid you need to meet the following requirements:

• Must be 21 years or older.
  • The booking must be paid in full.
  • The voyage must be at least five days within final payment.
Voyage length Final payment due before sailing sate Bidding opens before sailing
5 days or less 75 days prior 70 days prior
6-24 days 90 days prior 85 days prior
25+ days 120 days prior 115 days prior
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Hmmmmm   😦  that's suspicious  

• Thanks 1

I received a second e-mail this morning regarding my upcoming 
Discovery cruise, they are still offering owner's suite and sky suite.  I guess nobody took the bait a couple of days ago.  $1845 pp for the Sky suite and $100 pp for the owner's.

• Like 1

Received an email for one of our upcoming cruises.  Will not be following thru on the process as we are very content with the cabin we have chosen.

Did go into Personalizer to see if I could see the bid page there, no luck.   The only way is to click on the link contained in the email.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Received an email for one of our upcoming cruises.  Will not be following thru on the process as we are very content with the cabin we have chosen.

Did go into Personalizer to see if I could see the bid page there, no luck.   The only way is to click on the link contained in the email.

Thanks!

45 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

ya this is all fun and exciting, at this stage in life I/we don't want uncertainty.

• Like 2