How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

14 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

We have a balcony and likely wouldn't bid on a mini as I am picky about where it would be.... but....I was curious to see what the process looks like,

If your bid is accepted, you will not have any choice in cabin location. One will be assigned to you and cannot be changed according to information in another thread.

2 hours ago, partybarbie said:

It’s personalized for the cruise that we’re booked on. 

l forgot to mention that the price to bid on an upgrade from our inside cabin to a balcony was $1025.00. If we had really wanted a balcony, I could have booked one for less when I made the original booking.

Is that the minimum bid or is that just the current list price difference from your type cabin to a balcony?

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

So, this was a question back in the beginning.  I gather you are saying that Princess may offer someone in a BE Balcony (for example), a price to upgrade to a BC or BB (for example)?

It looks more like by type. Deluxe, Premium, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just got an upgrade email for our November 13 cruise on Royal. Interesting, since this is not one of the ships listed for the initial roll out. Anyway, we are currently in a mini. We were offered several different types of suites and 2 types of club class minis. The suites were a little pricy but the club class upgrades were minimum of $130 and $175 PP depending on the type selected. Not interested in a forward facing club class mini (didn't know that was a thing). However, the other club class minis are around midship and located between passenger decks. That meets our needs no matter which cabin we are assigned to in that class. So, I placed a bid. There are a lot of them available for this cruise. They say you will be advised regarding the success your bid no later than 3 days before sailing. I will post when we hear back. By the way, they do require you to enter a credit card to secure the bid but state you still need to contact customer service to finalize the payment. Wish me luck!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

I also received an upgrade email this evening on my October Discovery cruise.  I am presently booked in an aft penthouse on dolphin deck.  The upgrade was for the Sky suite at $1,845 pp or to an owners suite, min bid of $100.  Not interested in either. I’m very happy with my large dolphin deck balcony .

So, you could bid on the Sky Suite? Min starting bid was $1845 PP?  Length of cruise?  TIA

Interesting…

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

These options do give an idea of location. One says best locale…midship?

2nd one says forward facing.

So, some idea anyway.

Are all regular Club Class Minis midship?  Or does it depend on the ship?

3 hours ago, phred119s said:

Don’t go all the way to polar. There’s a banner after you log in. 

Thank You! I found it. I had actually gone to that exact place yesterday but the "Upgrade Your Booking" wasn't there at that time, so I didn't even think to look again. My personal booking isn't eligible (I knew this but put it in anyway) and I get a "Booking Not Found" error message. However, it seems that if you use a TA they can definitely access eligible bookings and submit a bid on your behalf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, L11 said:

The suites were a little pricy but the club class upgrades were minimum of $130 and $175 PP depending on the type selected. Not interested in a forward facing club class mini (didn't know that was a thing). 

Others have reported that those forward-facing CC minis are really nice with huge balconies.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

These options do give an idea of location. One says best locale…midship?

2nd one says forward facing.

So, some idea anyway.

Our offer didn't give location like that, but after looking at the deck plan the Club Class Mini seems to be midship on D and E decks. The regular mini's are more scattered.
The other offer was for a higher category Balcony but funnily enough I just requested and received a lower Balcony category from what we had because we wanted to be on Caribe deck.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Is that the minimum bid or is that just the current list price difference from your type cabin to a balcony?

This where it gets even more ridiculous. The minimum bid said it was $510 to apply for an upgrade, but when I clicked on the link, it changed from $510 to $1025. Then one is supposed to put one's credit card in and, if a cabin is available, one is charged for the upgrade. The cabin could be anywhere. There are a lot of undesirable balcony cabins. The total cost would be slightly more than if I had just booked a balcony cabin to begin with, and not the inside cabin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Others have reported that those forward-facing CC minis are really nice with huge balconies.

I saw that on the deck plan, but even the description in the upgrade offer said they were subject to strong wind when underway. I like to sit outside and embroider on part of every sea day so no bueno for me.  I was tempted though. That big balcony does look nice!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

This where it gets even more ridiculous. The minimum bid said it was $510 to apply for an upgrade, but when I clicked on the link, it changed from $510 to $1025. Then one is supposed to put one's credit card in and, if a cabin is available, one is charged for the upgrade. The cabin could be anywhere. There are a lot of undesirable balcony cabins. The total cost would be slightly more than if I had just booked a balcony cabin to begin with, and not the inside cabin. 

Is the minimum based on per person and then the total shows the total for 2?

• Like 2

Got one late last night for the Love Boat Cruise next month which is sold out. We booked a couple of weeks ago and took an S4 suite on the side. Although we love aft facing will pass on this one because it’s not worth the time to bid on the off chance that someone will cancel an S3. 

841D1664-CE06-4B0E-A001-82EC1BC4A65B.png

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, partybarbie said:

This is the same system NCL uses for it bidding system.  There is a slider taht starts at zero (no bid) then increases by a set denomination.  They also have an "offer strength" to let you know how good of a chance the system says you have of succeeding (but it's pretty useless)

Below is an example (we are in a lower Haven cabin, looking at bidding to the highest category available)  Lowest bid is $750

image.png.7c1a05506357ddb8b1ae37c6aa47b40b.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

This is the same system NCL uses for it bidding system.  There is a slider taht starts at zero (no bid) then increases by a set denomination.  They also have an "offer strength" to let you know how good of a chance the system says you have of succeeding (but it's pretty useless)

Below is an example (we are in a lower Haven cabin, looking at bidding to the highest category available)  Lowest bid is $750

image.png.7c1a05506357ddb8b1ae37c6aa47b40b.png

I see that now. Thank you. The screen is a little different from your example, but I did find the sliding bar and was able to move it to the lower bid. 

I’m pretty disappointed in the system having now read accounts of the actual bid amounts. If you were getting an actual deal, that would be great, like the upsells. I’ll still be curious to see if we encounter any good deals for our cruise, but it seems unlikely based on what pax have reported so far. 

• Like 2