Internet on Enchanted Princess is appalling

nugent

9 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

This is a test installation. It's only at the rear of the ship. When it gets fully implemented, it might not look anything like that. Best to wait and see the final installation before passing judgment. It may be better - or it may be worse. 

No matter what a business does to improve a product, there will be people who will complain about what they had to do to make that improvement. 

6 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

Just goes to show, no matter what a business does to improve a product, there will be people who will complain about what they had to do to make that improvement. 

This is a test installation. It's only at the rear of the ship. When it gets fully implemented, it might not look anything like that. Best to wait and see the final installation before passing judgment. It may be better - or it may be worse. 

Lol. Why so quick to defend a corporation?

Relax. It was just a comment about how it looks. Not a big deal. 

Just now, Rick&Jeannie said:

The issue with internet on transatlantic sailings or farther north itineraries has nothing to do with the Ukraine situation.  It was bad for a TA in Nov 2021 and in Aug 2021 in Alaska.   This is all about the current provider.  There was a lot of hype back in 2020 when Princess first started touting their relationship with SES Networks and their "Best WiFi at Sea" campaign (which ironically, they are still posting on the website!) 

Either one of two things happened:

1) SES was not able to deliver the promised bandwidth

or

2) Princess is no longer associated with SES (for whatever reason) and is now scrambling to get bandwidth however they can, from whoever.

Transatlantics have always been somewhat problematic but it used to be better!

Just now, Rick&Jeannie said:

Unless SES (if they are still using them) just has not built out their coverage map. But you're probably right. 

According to my IP address, the provider is SES, which is why I posted their map.  I sent them a query on their website, but not holding my breath for a reply.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

They all do after the pandemic. RCCL has a debt of 28 billion.

Off subject..sorry this is about the internet.

Yea, but ppl much smarter than me are talking about how CCL might default on their loans bc they just don't have the cash. So it doesn't surprise me that RCL would be able to invest in tech and wifi more than CCL. 

34 minutes ago, DrSea said:

It doesn't surprise me. CCL has a lot of debt.

So does RCL (actually they are in worse shape by several metrics).

Starlink did not get regulatory approval for providing Internet to cruise ship until fairly  recently (July). Prior to that approval it could be used on moving vehicles (ships, RVs, etc). RCL stepped up as a test bed once Starlink got regulatory approval.

17 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Lol. Why so quick to defend a corporation?

Relax. It was just a comment about how it looks. Not a big deal. 

Notice that I edited my comment to tone it down (you copied the original and the edited version). But it is ironic that both of your comments are complaints, which actually proves my point. 😉

Relax. It was just a comment about how you thought it looks. Not a big deal.

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ldtr said:

So does RCL (actually they are in worse shape by several metrics).

Starlink did not get regulatory approval for providing Internet to cruise ship until fairly  recently (July). Prior to that approval it could be used on moving vehicles (ships, RVs, etc). RCL stepped up as a test bed once Starlink got regulatory approval.

Lol, I know nothing about finances. I hope the cruise industry does well bc I like to cruise. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

Notice that I edited my comment to tone it down (you copied the original and the edited version). But it is ironic that both of your comments are complaints, which actually proves my point. 😉

Relax. It was just a comment about how you thought it looks. Not a big deal.

No worries. It isn't a big deal. lol. 

We're good. 👍👍

• Like 2

Just now, MikeD4134 said:

Internet on cruise ships has sucked from the dawn of time.  This conversation is ridiculous.  

Actually not prior to Covid used to be able to get bandwidth on Princess ships greater than .5 mbs.

Even last year I was able to get .4 mbs on a Princess ship.  Since April of this year nowhere close to that speed. Since then the fastest I got was about 52 kbs.

Satellite Internet has always suffered from latency issues, which will not be solved until someone figures a way around the speed of radio waves.

Several years ago speeds were relatively slow, but in recent years considerable was put into increasing total bandwidth and it showed.  Now performance on Princess ships has gone back and all of those improvements are now gone.

1 hour ago, nugent said:

According to my IP address, the provider is SES, which is why I posted their map.  I sent them a query on their website, but not holding my breath for a reply.

PCL (and some sister lines or CCL in general) may be tied into longer term contract that is not easily broken.  With technology, it's better to have shorter-term contract IMO so the purchaser has opportunity to move to a better provider sooner.  Either that, or they are just refusing to spend the bucks to deliver on another unkept promise.  (I do realize it may not be their fault that SES is failing miserably to deliver consistent service, but then did PCL/CCL put any performance clauses in the contract???)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

Internet on cruise ships has sucked from the dawn of time.  This conversation is ridiculous.  

I can’t agree.  These were the speeds we were getting on the Ruby Princess en route to Sydney, Australia in September - October 2019. I had no trouble streaming video. 

252201BA-26FB-4293-B4B6-E3822A242A2D.jpeg

B3BC0280-A41B-43D5-A08A-6D6D343C6F5C.jpeg

2CF20049-2335-4A89-A859-E71CB5375854.jpeg

EDCA06E3-1E56-4AC5-9C4F-E93E224DFE76.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, it started in early March. The war started on Feb 24th. It really affected 

TA’s and European cruises, plus Alaska cruises, which all used the High Earth orbit satellites. 

We sailed the Regal Princess lats November from Southampton to FLL. Internet was just as bad then. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, billco said:

We sailed the Regal Princess lats November from Southampton to FLL. Internet was just as bad then. 

We’ve done a lot of TA’s and there are always some issues in the open sea, but I’ve always been able just to check emails. I try to disconnect on vacation. 😂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nugent said:

Hmmm...I would have thought that the ship would be using one of the private (non-routable) ranges behind their routers on the ship.   But nice catch!  I never thought to do a WHOIS on the network connection!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

We’ve done a lot of TA’s and there are always some issues in the open sea, but I’ve always been able just to check emails. I try to disconnect on vacation. 😂 

Not everybody on a cruise is on vacation or is content just checking e-mails. I like the same access to the internet on a cruise that I do at home. Princess advertised they could do that. We have also done quite a few TAs. 9 on Princess, 6 on NCL. Never seen internet as bad as the last two. Actually, our best internet experience was a Transpacific on Celebrity from Vancouver to Tokyo several years ago. I was able to stream Netflix just about anytime during that cruise.

Again, the problem is Princess is not providing acceptable internet and they aren't being transparent as to why they can't. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

I'll wait to see some real world test of the new RCL system.  Good ol' Elon has been promising self driving cars for at least 5 years or more, so much of what he promises I take with a grain of salt.

Truer words have not been said

2 hours ago, billco said:

I feel like a lot of people have been complaining about the Regal princess having a lot of internet issues. Wifi was scarce in my room last Thanksgiving on the Regal. 

16 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I like to connect "in connection" with my vacation..... identifying different kinds of wildlife I see, or reading up on the history of something I saw in port the day before.  Sometimes  I want to see what building that is on the coast as we sail by.  Sure I could wait until I get home, but at 55 that doesn't always work so well.

• Like 3

On 9/8/2022 at 7:32 PM, DrSea said:

Truer words have not been said

I agree. I am testing the StarLink here at my home outside of Los Angeles. It actually sucks compared to my Cable Internet. I blame that on the fact they don't have all of their birds up in space yet. And possibly the movement of satellites to the Ukraine area. Which is true and the StarLink peeps will even tell you that. It does look promising for the future however. Just my opinion.

As far as the Princess Internet...I have family on the Enchanted Princess finishing their cruise IN NYC this weekend 9/17. And they told me that even the Captain was making fun of how crappy the Internet was (which I found strange). LOL 

If I had to guess, it must be a TA issue. I have been on 3 Royal class ships since 2019, and the internet was actually amazing. 1 Alaska and 2 Mexico cruises. So the research fellow travelers have posted may be right.

So I guess we will just have to wait and see how this all unfolds. 

Happy travels to all. I wish much health and happiness!!! 

1 minute ago, quack1010 said:

I agree. I am testing the StarLink here at my home outside of Los Angeles. It actually sucks compared to my Cable Internet. I blame that on the fact they don't have all of their birds up in space yet. And possibly the movement of satellites to the Ukraine area. Which is true and the StarLink peeps will even tell you that. It does look promising for the future however. Just my opinion.

As far as the Princess Internet...I have family on the Enchanted Princess finishing their cruise IN NYC this weekend 9/17. And they told me that even the Captain was making fun of how crappy the Internet was (which I found strange). LOL 

If I had to guess, it must be a TA issue. I have been on 3 Royal class ships since 2019, and the internet was actually amazing. 1 Alaska and 2 Mexico cruises. So the research fellow travelers have posted may be right.

So I guess we will just have to wait and see how this all unfolds. 

Happy travels to all. I wish much health and happiness!!! 

It’s not just a TA issue. We were on the previous sailing in Europe and it was appalling then. Many, many complaints at GS about the poor WiFi.