Regents Seven Seas - Gratuity

Ksedmom

First time Regent Cruise scheduled for November.  I read that gratuity is included (not added on as a daily charge).   Do people give extra gratuity to bartenders, butlers, stewards etc?  We have cruised extensively on other lines but never on an RSSC and just want to make sure we do right by the crew especially in the current times.   Thank you for your input!  

The "right thing" is whatever you feel good doing. There is no prohibition against tipping and many people do it. Some Regent employees make as little as $800 a month and, in general, they make less (in normal tipping positions like bartenders, etc.) than on other lines. Giving money to the crew fund is also kind just be aware that this doesn't put any money into the crews' hands...it goes to helping subsidize the departmental parties in the crew bar. Whatever you do, do not leave cash on the bar when ordering a drink. At the end of the cruise, put it in an envelope with their name on it and give it to them discretely.

• Like 4

There are a number of tipping threads on this forum. Do a search. Regent advertises gratuities included. Many Regent cruises believe what Regent says and act accordingly. Others tip on the side usually at the end and discretely. Do not let someone else influence you. You will get the same great Regent service whether you tip or not. But do recognize the people who give you good service on the comment cards mid cruise. The crew will thank you.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 2

We normally give to the crew fund if we've had a great cruise (which we have had all but once, but we had a refundable cruise credit so we donated it anyway). We have given an additional tip to a few crew members that went out of their way to make our cruise great. We don't just pass out tips to every crew member that we have encountered on the cruise. The cruise's included tip covers that.

• Like 3

Recognition of service provided.  One thing you can do, and we make sure to do it, is know the names of the crew you interact with and with the midcruise comment card and for the final survey, be sure to include any deserved praise you have for a crew member.

I made a well deserved favorable about a crew member who had gone an extra step to help us with something.  Two days after I submitted this, the supervisor of the crew member found me at lunch and thanked me for the comment.  He advised he uses things like this to help justify a promotion or raise etc.

• Like 6

Still think if you really get great service-why not give extra to the person that gave that service making your vacation better.  Remember if you have a Butler they manage your trip—-anything think that goes wrong, no matter how small or big they fix it.  Having a special party in your suite, or dinner a few more times than normal—why not give extra.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 5:06 PM, Ksedmom said:

First time Regent Cruise scheduled for November.  I read that gratuity is included (not added on as a daily charge).   Do people give extra gratuity to bartenders, butlers, stewards etc?  We have cruised extensively on other lines but never on an RSSC and just want to make sure we do right by the crew especially in the current times.   Thank you for your input!  

Gratuity is included.  Many don't tip extra.  What you tip (or don't tip) is no one's business but yours.  Don't feel any obligation to tip extra and don't feel any pressure if you wish to tip extra.  There will be no difference in service whether you do or don't.  

BUT DO be sure to mention in surveys who you think deserves extra recognition.  As mentioned, positive comments help the crew member in the future. 

• Like 12

16 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Still think if you really get great service-why not give extra to the person that gave that service making your vacation better.

Because there are alternative ways of acknowledging that service that don't include giving money.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There is nothing wrong with a cash tip - just as there is nothing wrong with not leaving a cash tip. Comment card info is nice but not every employee is there for a career and not every employee can be promoted beyond a certain point. DO what you think is right and don't let internet people sway your judgement.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We are talking mainly about waiters, bartenders and cabin stewards and from what I have seen over the years  there is upward mobility within those groups. I see many of those faces year after year and they do move up the ladder.

Tips are included on Regent and they state such. The crew fund provides things for every crew member. The comment card benefits the lone crew member as does a tip. By all means do what you are comfortable doing, just remember a lot of people are helping the person you are tipping make your cruise wonderful.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

Because there are alternative ways of acknowledging that service that don't include giving money.

That’s your opinion (and that’s OK), but if a person wants to give that’s OK too.  You know when I was working and got stock options and by bonuses-  should I have said “Oh I don’t need that just give me a card-that will do…………

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cwn said:

We are talking mainly about waiters, bartenders and cabin stewards and from what I have seen over the years  there is upward mobility within those groups. I see many of those faces year after year and they do move up the ladder.

Tips are included on Regent and they state such. The crew fund provides things for every crew member. The comment card benefits the lone crew member as does a tip. By all means do what you are comfortable doing, just remember a lot of people are helping the person you are tipping make your cruise wonderful.

There are limits to upward mobility in those areas based on certain factors that I will not discuss here. Just remember that every likes getting cash even if not everyone likes giving it.

• Thanks 1

On several post-Covid cruises on Oceania, crew were not able to get off the ship in various ports -- thus no "snack runs."  I've asked my room steward what's their favorite snack and made sure to stop at a grocery or mini-mart before returning from a shore excursion -- with a several bags of "Flaming Hot Cheetos" or similar.   (See attached photo -- you can't see the big smile on his face!)   One cruise director that I had worked with previously even emailed me with a list of his favorite snacks....

IMG_3370 (1).JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mj_holiday said:

Yes, we all have the option of tipping and tipping is easy. It does take effort to get to know the name of the crew members who serve you to submit a positive comment. 

There is NOTHING more important than putting names on those forms and taking the time to complete every single survey - both mid-cruise and end of cruise. But tipping and supporting via comments are not mutually exclusive. Is it really fair to say that (extra) tipping is the easy way out?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

There is NOTHING more important than putting names on those forms and taking the time to complete every single survey - both mid-cruise and end of cruise. But tipping and supporting via comments are not mutually exclusive. Is it really fair to say that (extra) tipping is the easy way out?

Well, it does not take much time energy or effort.

Some people really like that Regent includes a full package cruise. Regent  states in bold letters what the cruise price includes….including gratuities.

Others like to go the extra mile to take the time to make management aware of staff who gave good service.

Some like to thank the whole crew with something extra to the crew fund.

Others like to just pass a little money to a couple of people. It is the passenger’s choice and there is nothing wrong the path each pick.