SECOND ArriveCAN APP Required Before Cruise!!! Alert!

nini

10 minutes ago, Serious Cruisers said:

I returned last week from an Alaska cruise. Upon boarding I had only done the first arrivecan departure info   I was pulled out of line to do the return at the same time 

Please clarify. Did you fly or drive into Canada to board the cruise? If so, did you use the same QR to board the cruise ship or did you create a new QR after arriving in Canada?

21 minutes ago, broberts said:

Merely entering the country with a passport provides the government with tracking data. ArriveCAN is not providing additional detail, just advance notice of travel.

Not true as you have tp provide a quarantine plan.  You are subject to follow up contacts, etc.  You have to state where you are going to be for the next two weeks.

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

Please clarify. Did you fly or drive into Canada to board the cruise? If so, did you use the same QR to board the cruise ship or did you create a new QR after arriving in Canada?

I am a local so I drove/taxi. I am done. By arrivecan but upon check in I was told I actually needed to also do a return at the same time (bizarre but sure ok lol)

Thank you all for your responses. I was blasted elsewhere for being ignorant and stupid. I honestly am fairly active with my research on CC and did not recall reading about this issue. We will use our hotel address for the first ArriveCAN. We are arriving by land (driving up) a day ahead.

It just seems so redundant. It also seems strange that Canadians also need to do this. Wow... imagine if we needed to do this in the USA each time we traveled to another state.

• If you’re not joining the cruise immediately, enter the address of your hotel.

You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.

Safe Travels to ALL!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, nini said:

Thank you all for your responses. I was blasted elsewhere for being ignorant and stupid. I honestly am fairly active with my research on CC and did not recall reading about this issue. We will use our hotel address for the first ArriveCAN. We are arriving by land (driving up) a day ahead.

It just seems so redundant. It also seems strange that Canadians also need to do this. Wow... imagine if we needed to do this in the USA each time we traveled to another state.

• If you’re not joining the cruise immediately, enter the address of your hotel.

You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.

Yes, however further down in the same section is the following:

Choose the scenario below that best fits your cruise plans:

Starting an international cruise in Canada or arriving by cruise from another countryCruises that are staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Yes, however further down in the same section is the following:

Choose the scenario below that best fits your cruise plans:

Starting an international cruise in Canada or arriving by cruise from another countryCruises that are staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Thanks @Bgwest-

We are doing a round trip Alaska cruise from and to Vancouver, BC. We will have 2 other Canadian ports.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anubi said:

We went to Buffalo last weekend for about 3 hours.  We had to do the ArriveCan to get back into Canada!!!  Yeah, they need to get rid of this.  😞 

I had to go to upstate New York for my NEXUS interview a few months ago, and was out of Canada for 30 MINUTES, still had to do ArriveCan. Not only that, I was secretly selected for a post-arrival random COVID test and was not told I was selected until I started to receive menacing phone calls from the gvt demanding the status of my quarantine and testing results. So, yes, it needs to go ASAP ;o)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, broberts said:

I'm not clear on this itinerary. Did you sail out of a US Port, called at Halifax, called at a port in Greenland, then returned to St John's?

The cruise was round trip from New York.  We stopped at Halifax and Sydney, NS, then had two stops in Greenland, then returned to Canada for a stop in St. John's. We then returned to New York.  This was an example where we entered Canada for a second time when we stopped in St. John's, but that did not require completing ArriveCan a second time (we did have to fill in the Canadian customs landing cards twice).

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I had to go to upstate New York for my NEXUS interview a few months ago, and was out of Canada for 30 MINUTES, still had to do ArriveCan. Not only that, I was secretly selected for a post-arrival random COVID test and was not told I was selected until I started to receive menacing phone calls from the gvt demanding the status of my quarantine and testing results. So, yes, it needs to go ASAP ;o)

You are not the only one receiving such calls.  Just ridiculous like we are in some totalitarian state.  Similarly, we were over the border in Niagara Falls, NY (Whirlpool Bridge crossing) this past Wednesday for my wife to interview (I had magically received an email with pre-approval late last week and so days before our scheduled interview, I didn't need one.  That was a surprise and I logged in twice to check just to be certain it was real!)  We detoured to a Walmart to get a specific item and then back across the Rainbow Bridge.  We didn't have any issues with re-entering and ArriveCAN, so no random tests here.  Of course, I say that now, but who knows - could get a call tomorrow for all I know.  They are supposed to inform you at the border if you have to do a test.  (On another note, it is beyond the pale that Canada has not re-opened the NEXUS centers on this side of the border).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, nini said:

Princess Alaska cruisers with Vancouver departure... any comments on this?

We sailed in June to Alaska out of Vancouver and yes we were required to first do ArrivCan flying into Vancouver and then again to board the ship. All in all it was pretty much a non-event after filling in the ArrivCan. It is tied into your passport so no one even requested ArrivCan since they already knew we were good to go.

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You are not the only one receiving such calls.  Just ridiculous like we are in some totalitarian state.  Similarly, we were over the border in Niagara Falls, NY (Whirlpool Bridge crossing) this past Wednesday for my wife to interview (I had magically received an email with pre-approval late last week and so days before our scheduled interview, I didn't need one.  That was a surprise and I logged in twice to check just to be certain it was real!)  We detoured to a Walmart to get a specific item and then back across the Rainbow Bridge.  We didn't have any issues with re-entering and ArriveCAN, so no random tests here.  Of course, I say that now, but who knows - could get a call tomorrow for all I know.  They are supposed to inform you at the border if you have to do a test.  (On another note, it is beyond the pale that Canada has not re-opened the NEXUS centers on this side of the border).

The issue is the US wants armed agents in the Nexus centres in Canada until they get that sorted I can’t see them opening up.

• Like 2

Just now, Sprocket said:

The issue is the US wants armed agents in the Nexus centres in Canada until they get that sorted I can’t see them opening up.

Yes, I know.  I didn't want to get flagged for going p*litic*l.  I am trying to recall (it's been a long time) if the CBP agents at airports like Toronto have side-arms.  What is interesting (or odd - take your pick) is that at the airport, the US CBP agents dress normally in uniform and the Canadian CBSA agents are all wearing bullet-proof vests.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

My interview/trip across the border, was on a Tuesday and I started to get the phone calls on the following Saturday. I just ignored the calls the first few times they came (they called a few times a day), but when I finally played back the entire message, the tone of the message left me in no doubt I'd better deal with it quickly. I called the gvt COVID line and was told that the call "probably" meant that I had been selected for the test, but she couldn't be sure. Even though I had driven across the border, I immediately went to Montreal airport, explained the call to the testing staff and they agreed to test me for free and to submit the results to the same gvt location where they send all the other random victim's test results. That was in mid-July and haven't heard ANYTHING more on this at all.  Which probably means I'll get pulled aside and fined next week when we drive back after our Canada/New England trip out of Brooklyn. 😁

• Haha 2

last Spring, we flew from Frankfurt to Toronto following a cruise and stayed at the Embassy Suites in Niagara Falls, CA. The next morning we walked across the Rainbow Bridge to the US side. On walking back to the Canadian side the Customs officer told us our ArriveCan receipt wasn't good any more, but he let us go anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Serious Cruisers said:

I am a local so I drove/taxi. I am done. By arrivecan but upon check in I was told I actually needed to also do a return at the same time (bizarre but sure ok lol)

The ArriveCAN required for boarding is supposed to be for the return. Your experience is odd.

21 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

What does it mean to do ArriveCan twice? Do you need to update information? Change date?

Each trip is considered as a separate entity/event. If you did the first one properly, and it kept all your personal info and vax docs, then the second one would just involve entering the new info specific to your new travel, such as port info, dates, health status update etc. Having all the personal data stored in the "system" usually speeds up the all subsequent applications. I've done them three times and have another trip next week on the Enchanted.

5 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Each trip is considered as a separate entity/event. If you did the first one properly, and it kept all your personal info and vax docs, then the second one would just involve entering the new info specific to your new travel, such as port info, dates, health status update etc. Having all the personal data stored in the "system" usually speeds up the all subsequent applications. I've done them three times and have another trip next week on the Enchanted.

Got it, thanks.

2 hours ago, billco said:

last Spring, we flew from Frankfurt to Toronto following a cruise and stayed at the Embassy Suites in Niagara Falls, CA. The next morning we walked across the Rainbow Bridge to the US side. On walking back to the Canadian side the Customs officer told us our ArriveCan receipt wasn't good any more, but he let us go anyway.

Sounds like you got special refugee treatment even though you had left Canada.

• Haha 2

I found this thread because I hoped it would offer some clarity for an upcoming cruise.  In our situation we will be flying from the USA to Canada (ArriveCAN submission is required). After spending two nights in a Canadian hotel at the port, we board a cruise with a final destination of Florida.  The cruise stops in several Canadian ports, but once it departs Canadian waters, it never reenters Canada.  My take is no second ArriveCAN is required.  Several good posts from @broberts support this and @Bobbiegentry shows official information from travel.gc.ca to support this as well. 

Does anyone disagree with this and why?  If you do, how would I even fill out the second ArriveCAN with accurate information?

1. How are you entering Canada?  I'm am already in Canada and I already filled out an ArriveCAN to enter.  If I select Air or Land, the next questions make no sense.  So Marine is the only option left. Then . . .
  2. Country of original departure: Is this the USA or Canada?
  3. Port of entry. Note: This is the first port of arrival in Canada: Is this my embarkation port or my second port in Canada?  (My first port in Canada is not even on the dropdown list, so that's not an option)
  4. Date and Time of Arrival: To where?  Embarkation port, 2nd port, final destination in Florida?  If I try to make the embarkation and arrival date/time the same, will it even let me do that?

I have been told by several well meaning people that there is no harm in filling out a second AriveCAN, just in case I am wrong.  But I can't figure out how to do this without providing bogus, or at the least, misleading information to the Canadian government. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Sounds like you got special refugee treatment even though you had left Canada.

But he didn't cross at Roxham Rd!!!  🤐

PS to others:  Don't ask if you don't get it - it's an inside joke.

Edited by Steelers36

16 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

I found this thread because I hoped it would offer some clarity for an upcoming cruise.  In our situation we will be flying from the USA to Canada (ArriveCAN submission is required). After spending two nights in a Canadian hotel at the port, we board a cruise with a final destination of Florida.  The cruise stops in several Canadian ports, but once it departs Canadian waters, it never reenters Canada.  My take is no second ArriveCAN is required.  Several good posts from @broberts support this and @Bobbiegentry shows official information from travel.gc.ca to support this as well. 

Does anyone disagree with this and why?  If you do, how would I even fill out the second ArriveCAN with accurate information?

1. How are you entering Canada?  I'm am already in Canada and I already filled out an ArriveCAN to enter.  If I select Air or Land, the next questions make no sense.  So Marine is the only option left. Then . . .
  2. Country of original departure: Is this the USA or Canada?
  3. Port of entry. Note: This is the first port of arrival in Canada: Is this my embarkation port or my second port in Canada?  (My first port in Canada is not even on the dropdown list, so that's not an option)
  4. Date and Time of Arrival: To where?  Embarkation port, 2nd port, final destination in Florida?  If I try to make the embarkation and arrival date/time the same, will it even let me do that?

I have been told by several well meaning people that there is no harm in filling out a second AriveCAN, just in case I am wrong.  But I can't figure out how to do this without providing bogus, or at the least, misleading information to the Canadian government. 

You shouldn't need a second ArriveCAN submission. Since submissions are very quick, were I asked for a QR at cruise check-in I'd be tempted to have the counter person guide me in falsifying ... umm ... completing a new submission.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, broberts said:

Since submissions are very quick, were I asked for a QR at cruise check-in I'd be tempted to have the counter person guide me in falsifying ... umm ... completing a new submission.

That works.  Let them figure it out.  I am completely convinced there is no way I can fill out the second ArriveCAN with accurate info.