What have I missed? LOL

GORDONCHICK

It's been forever and a day since I've been on these boards!  Looking to possibly book a cruise in the Fall of 2023 on Equinox.  Here's the thing - we haven't been on X in a while!  We loved the line (it was my first cruise) but no cruises were sailing out of convenient ports for us here in land-locked OK.  Now that our son is a junior in college, we are looking to jump back into cruising!  But I have a few questions...

1)  I remember the food in the MDR as being pretty good.  Neither of our previous X cruises did we go to upcharge restaurants (I don't even remember if there were any if that tells you anything!).  I know food is very subjective and we don't have an expectation of 5 star dining.  But can you get a decent steak in the MDR?  Other favorite dishes in the MDR?  Are specialties worth it?  Which ones are your faves and why?  Don't need to hear a single thing about sushi because neither of us like it.  And I'm a foodie but DH isn't.

2)  Looking at either veranda or concierge class.  Is concierge worth the extra money to you?  If so, why?  The cabins look to be identical so my guess is extra services/amenities and probably location?  

3) What has changed (good and bad) since I was last on X?  I know the Meet & Mingles were not much back then, especially compared to what other lines do - has that changed?  NCL has had the best Meet & Greets closely followed by MSC, IOE.

Catch me up, X peeps!

6 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

It's been forever and a day since I've been on these boards!  Looking to possibly book a cruise in the Fall of 2023 on Equinox.  Here's the thing - we haven't been on X in a while!  We loved the line (it was my first cruise) but no cruises were sailing out of convenient ports for us here in land-locked OK.  Now that our son is a junior in college, we are looking to jump back into cruising!  But I have a few questions...

1)  I remember the food in the MDR as being pretty good.  Neither of our previous X cruises did we go to upcharge restaurants (I don't even remember if there were any if that tells you anything!).  I know food is very subjective and we don't have an expectation of 5 star dining.  But can you get a decent steak in the MDR?  Other favorite dishes in the MDR?  Are specialties worth it?  Which ones are your faves and why?  Don't need to hear a single thing about sushi because neither of us like it.  And I'm a foodie but DH isn't.

The only specialty restaurant we like on the S-class ships is Murano and that one (to us) is definitely worth it.

2)  Looking at either veranda or concierge class.  Is concierge worth the extra money to you?  If so, why?  The cabins look to be identical so my guess is extra services/amenities and probably location?  

On the S-class ships the veranda and concierge class cabins are the same size. The difference is a few small amenities and 2 extra Captains Club points per night. Unless the difference in cost is very small it's not worth it to us. We'd pay more and go Aqua class to dine in Blu. Even then, if the cost differential is too great we'd opt for verandah and some specialty dining instead.

3) What has changed (good and bad) since I was last on X?  I know the Meet & Mingles were not much back then, especially compared to what other lines do - has that changed?  NCL has had the best Meet & Greets closely followed by MSC, IOE.

Currently X isn't holding Meet & Mingles (currently called Connections Parties) since the resumption of cruising. In our cruises sine the resumption we have noticed that there seem to be fewer menu options (although there are still plenty) and they seem to skew to less expensive proteins like more poultry options. The old faves are still there. You won't be disappointed. 

Catch me up, X peeps!

We were thrilled to be back on board and X is still our favorite cruise line. There have been reports of occasional supply chain issues but we've not experienced them. In the last year the specialty dining options which previously included the gratuity now add it onto the price and costs have gone up. Service is outstanding as always.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Catch me up, X peeps!

Everything you ask is subjective for what they are worth our views:

Are speciality restaurants worth it - no. Why? Sharing tables is a major part of our cruise experience and Select Dining works just great for us.

Concierge Cabins: No. Why? Standard balcony on deck 7 works just great for us. 

5 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Catch me up, X peeps!

First off, the ships have got bigger. I have not sailed Edge Class yet, and may not, as I like a regular balcony and they are now out of my budget as most on the Edge Class are the new Infinite Veranda. The Equinox has been 'revolutionised' so is looking good and has refurbished areas. I usually book Concierge. They are the same size as balcony cabins on S Class ships, but larger on M Class ships. Some of the little extras are nice, but that is subjective and dependant on the difference in price to the regular balcony cabins. The location suits me, and the extra Captain's Club points. I like the relaxing Embarkation lunch which is a great way to start a cruise.

As you have previously sailed with Celebrity you will have points in the Captain's Club. It may be worth checking this out as the scheme changed some years ago and the points you have will convert to the new scheme and may help with discounts and also you will be eligible for a category upgrade of cabin when booking. This upgrade is within category of cabin.

The food in MDR is good, but I think the standard has slipped a bit over the last couple of years. Saying that I still enjoy the MDR and have only booked Speciality a few times. A New York Sirloin Steak is available in the MDR on the Timeless menu (available daily) and sometimes there is Steak Diane. For a succulent steak of any other kind you really need to look at Speciality Restaurants.

One of the main changes over the last few years is that Formal Nights have been dumbed down a bit and are now Evening Chic. Still a chance to dress up, and many still do. The guidelines are available on the website. Saying that, the Celebrity website is not the best and I expect you may discover that for yourself.

Not all of the rooms have been updated on the Equinox.  This is especially true with the Verandas.  So check out the room to see if it has been upgraded.  Some were in sad shape before the partial ship upgrade.  You will also note that the cabin room attendants have more rooms to be responsible for and some do not have an assistant.

As for Specialty Restaurants, Murano is our choice for food quality and service.  The menu has changed in the Tuscan Grill and we no longer go there for the food.  For the views,  yes.

As mentioned, there has been a change in the attire at dinner time.  You will see fewer tuxedos, suits and fancy dresses.  

2 minutes ago, keesar said:

Not all of the rooms have been updated on the Equinox.  This is especially true with the Verandas.  So check out the room to see if it has been upgraded.  Some were in sad shape before the partial ship upgrade.  You will also note that the cabin room attendants have more rooms to be responsible for and some do not have an assistant.

As for Specialty Restaurants, Murano is our choice for food quality and service.  The menu has changed in the Tuscan Grill and we no longer go there for the food.  For the views,  yes.

As mentioned, there has been a change in the attire at dinner time.  You will see fewer tuxedos, suits and fancy dresses.  

Cabin Stewards: they now work alone so each actually has less cabins. All the stewards we have spoken to prefer the new system as now they don't get the blame for any omissions by their "assistant'.

12 minutes ago, keesar said:

According to Celebrity Equinox has been fully revolutionised which in the case of all cabins except suites means:

New colour scheme.

New carpets.

New beds and bedding.

New curtains (drapes).

But exactly the same electric outlets which means no USB ports and no outlets by the beds.

Bathrooms are unchanged. We have had the same cabin on Silhouette before and after the revolution. Before X said the broken door guide in the shower would be fixed during the revolution. After the revolution X said it couldn't be fixed because there are no spares.

It's the Suites that have been truly revolutionised including new electrics with USB ports.

Glad you are back.  We sailed on the equinox a few months ago.  Ship is wonderful.  Service excellent.  We sailed in a suite, so my experience dining is limited to the specialty and Lumanie.  Suite restaurants are excellent as is the retreat lounge.   The rest of the ship was also great.

Welcome back!  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info everyone!  I will check with my best friend, who may join us to see what cabins they've booked on their one X cruise.  I know they enjoyed X, which is why we are considering it again.

Since I haven't been on here in a few years, I've had difficulty finding the search tools, so I may have more questions.

Equinox is 13 yrs old.  Needs some paint, that can't be done while cruising everyday, nonstop.  Pretty much the same menu in MDR, as has been in the past.  We actually book half our nts in Specialty restaurants, and go to Oceanview buffet, the other nights.  Many choices in Oceanview.  Best filet is in Tuscan.  Chateaubriand in Murano, with a lobster tail or 2 on the side. Sushi on 5 was excellent. Moises was our waiter. Excellent service, as well as the food.   Worth the extra to us.  Makes the trip a little more special.   Concierge gives you a better room location, supposedly,  a small not that great tray of afternoon snacks, priority embarkation and disembarkation,  a fluffier pillow if you ask for it,  priority booking at specialty restaurants, and a few extra points if you are a Captains club member.   Some say no not worth it.  Some say for the extra couple hundred they like it.  Starboard side verandas face most of the Islands for picture taking.   

• Like 1

You just need to find a cruise that has a great itinerary for you too.  We can share all kinds of information, but a great itinerary is important, as food is so subjective.  You have great information written above!  Do not forget to look up your cabin using the threads for the different classes of ships.  Personally, I have become an E class girl, but would still cruise S class for the right itinerary.  In addition, Europe has excellent itineraries and so full of history, culture, food and great photos!  Sometimes things do not compare to prior experiences, but you will find so many things that you like!  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Priority embarkation is no more. When you do on-line check in for your cruise you select a boarding time from a list of available times.  The process is much smoother than pre Covid.  

Another change is now when you board you go directly to your cabin where you will find your sea pass cards in a envelop at the door.  You can drop off any carry on items and then go to lunch or explore the ship until they announce the cabins are ready.  So no more dodging backpacks, rolling suitcase or huge purses while trying to get a bite to eat

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Priority embarkation is no more. When you do on-line check in for your cruise you select a boarding time from a list of available times.  The process is much smoother than pre Covid.  

Another change is now when you board you go directly to your cabin where you will find your sea pass cards in a envelop at the door.  You can drop off any carry on items and then go to lunch or explore the ship until they announce the cabins are ready.  So no more dodging backpacks, rolling suitcase or huge purses while trying to get a bite to eat

I sail monthly on X, usually out of FLL/Port Everglades; priority embarkation still exists and is utilized.  Been through multiple FLL terminals, embarkment times haven't been enforced or even checked since 2021.  Back then they were limiting how many people could be inside the terminal building, that rule/requirement is long gone.

• Like 2

I think what most are missing is that all of the Horizon and Century class are gone, and you have never sailed on a Solstice class, as Solstice debuted in 2008.  So all the talk of revolutionizing is wasted, as you don’t know what they were like before.  Book the new ships, and enjoy them for what they are.  I love both the M and S classes.  I have not been fortunate to sail Edge class, Covid cancelled my one attempt in March 2020, 36 hours before sailing.  Choose a ship and enjoy.  EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

All of that sounds awesome!

@Essiesmom is spot on. A lot has changed in the last 15 yrs. What is the difference with what changed. You need to move on and try one of the E class ships. They appear to be where the future is heading.  Head up, nose forward and enjoy the future of cruising. Who knows what the cruise lines have in store for us. 🙂🍷🍸🥂

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

You just need to find a cruise that has a great itinerary for you too.  We can share all kinds of information, but a great itinerary is important, as food is so subjective.  You have great information written above!  Do not forget to look up your cabin using the threads for the different classes of ships.  Personally, I have become an E class girl, but would still cruise S class for the right itinerary.  In addition, Europe has excellent itineraries and so full of history, culture, food and great photos!  Sometimes things do not compare to prior experiences, but you will find so many things that you like!  

We're looking at the ABC itineraries, none of which we've been to (why we like it).  If we were doing Europe, we would go stictly by itinerary with no regard to cruiseline.  But that is after a few land overseas trips, hopefully.  We were supposed to spend 3 weeks in Israel in November of 2020, and well, you know how that went.

In our years of cruising, we've found more similarities than differences between the lines, though loyalists poo-poo that.  In most cases, we can appreciate most of the differences, though a few we choose to do without.

When I used to spend a lot of time here on the boards (I don't have over 10,000 posts for nothing), I learned to combine the observations of others, and put more weight into some over others because I learned that our expectations and likes were more similar.  Many times I can tell what's important to people without them coming right out and saying it.  But not having cruised since spring of 2019, I'm looking for info in general and cruiseline specific.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, travelwide said:

@Essiesmom is spot on. A lot has changed in the last 15 yrs. What is the difference with what changed. You need to move on and try one of the E class ships. They appear to be where the future is heading.  Head up, nose forward and enjoy the future of cruising. Who knows what the cruise lines have in store for us. 🙂🍷🍸🥂

Right now, we are more about the itinerary.  We find most ships have their charm and are usually able to find it.  Obviously, I have moved on.  I am not bemoaning ships that are gone.  I am simply asking more about the experience than the ships themselves.