Izumi Sushi & Sake Lunch - how well do they handle a shellfish allergy?

Asking this question in case anyone has experience with these fixed menu type lunches and someone in the group having an allergy.

We've been to Izumi before for a normal meal and there we just avoid ordering dishes with shellfish (prawns, lobster, crab etc). For our upcoming cruise we've noticed the sushi and sake lunch, which looks like fun - but the sample menu looks to have a fair bit of shellfish in (one course with shrimp, one with lobster). Would they be able to accommodate an allergy and prepare an alternative dish for those courses for one of us? Or is that difficult to do with a fixed menu like this?

Thanks for any help!

This is a fantastic lunch.   Be sure to block off the rest of the afternoon for a nap.  
It looked like most of the rolls were made before.   The dishes are pared with different sake’s.  (Lobster goes with a Champagne like sake). You should call RCCL to see what they say.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, beardedladies said:

Asking this question in case anyone has experience with these fixed menu type lunches and someone in the group having an allergy.

We've been to Izumi before for a normal meal and there we just avoid ordering dishes with shellfish (prawns, lobster, crab etc). For our upcoming cruise we've noticed the sushi and sake lunch, which looks like fun - but the sample menu looks to have a fair bit of shellfish in (one course with shrimp, one with lobster). Would they be able to accommodate an allergy and prepare an alternative dish for those courses for one of us? Or is that difficult to do with a fixed menu like this?

Thanks for any help!

I cannot imagine that it would be an issue.  Royal is very good about catering to all kinds of different food allergies.

It's not the Sushi and Sake but I have read reports from Chefs table (another fixed menu) where they were able to accommodate allergies

• Like 1

We did the dinner in the Habachi in 2020, with my wife of 41 years, and they gave her no shrimp, or any other bad allergens of hers.  So, yeah in general I would say 99% safe. 

Poop happens, when it does it is on us to do the right thing.  Don’t eat the shrimp.  

My understanding is that Lobster is less reactive to most allergic people compared to shrimp.

My wife, again, has been tested with all of this, and crab and lobster are oK, but shrimp are a No No.

jc\

In general, Royal Caribbean is pretty good with Allergies regardless of the venue, but as with any organization, mistakes can be made.  My sister in law has a long list of allergies.  They were able to make her a fairly unique meal at Chef's Table that blew her away.

• Like 1

Once on Legend cruising to Hawaii, there was a lady in Diamond Lounge that had a reaction.  She said it was because a tray had shrimp on it and also chicken or something and that her allergy was so bad she reacted even if they touched each other and she ate the chicken.  It caused a big stink one night, tons of officers and the chef came up to the lounge...quite the kerfuffle.  I guess if you're that allergic you should stay away from the buffet line.

On 9/11/2022 at 7:44 AM, beardedladies said:

Oooh! I can answer this one!

I did Izumi lunch and sat next to a very lovely couple, one of whom was allergic to shellfish. They told the host prior to the lunch starting and the kitchen was very accommodating to them, including making a vegetarian sushi option and swapping steak out for shrimp or seafood at another point. They were extremely accommodating.

I'm wondering if you could let guest services or the main dining room staff know ahead of time so that the venue has a heads up, but otherwise it seems like your party will be in good shape.

I would definitely recommend that if you are interested in doing this, you make the reservation but as soon as you get on the ship you go to the restaurant and verify they can accommodate.   The reason I say this is that the Sushi Lunch is a pre-set selection of menu items and as someone mentioned earlier, are prepared in advance.  

While when ordering of the regular menu they will ask about allergies or any food restrictions, I do not believe they do that when the menu is a fixed course. 

I had dinner with a group on the Navigator in Izumi's, and one person had pretty severe allergies to shellfish and soy.  Other than four of us smacking her hand when she reached for the edamame (she thought they were green beans), the waiter took very good care of her.

Edited by pcur