Which River Cruise Line?

NiceAunt

HI everyone.  I've searched around the site and am not sure where to post this so am starting here.

My 80-year old mother wants to go on a River Cruise this summer, specifically one from Paris to Normandy.   She is very active and gets around great.  She still kyaks and hikes so no issues with mobility.    I have had all sorts of recommendations, from Viking to Tauck to Uniworld.   They all seem fairly comparable or am I missing something?  I'd like to get a room with a balcony and ideally travel in July which is her birthday month.  We don't need super super fancy but she says this is the last year she will travel, so I'd like to do it up nice for her. 

Any and all pros and cons of each of these lines are welcome.  Thank you in advance!   And if this should be posted somewhere else, or someone can direct me to where I could find the comparisons, it would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 2

@NiceAunt I'm sure you'll get quite a few opinions. 🙂  

If this is to be your mom's final cruise, splurge and make it the best possible. Based on our experiences I would choose either Scenic or Uniworld. We have not sailed with Tauck, but I would research them too based on the fact that they too are 'all inclusive'. If you like modern design, you might like Scenic. If you prefer a very ornate style, pick Uniworld. You won't go wrong either way. Good luck and have fun!!

Paul

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wings55 said:

@NiceAunt I'm sure you'll get quite a few opinions. 🙂  

If this is to be your mom's final cruise, splurge and make it the best possible. Based on our experiences I would choose either Scenic or Uniworld. We have not sailed with Tauck, but I would research them too based on the fact that they too are 'all inclusive'. If you like modern design, you might like Scenic. If you prefer a very ornate style, pick Uniworld. You won't go wrong either way. Good luck and have fun!!

Paul

Thanks!  I should have also included that this will also be her very FIRST cruise ever, so definitely want to make it memorable for sure!

Just checked Avalon's Active & Discovery on the Seine, and it looks like no kayaking, only cycling and hiking. Most lines will have bikes available for taking out on tours, but there are a few others like Avalon that will have more active tours to do. 

A balcony is good, but consider a french balcony as well. All ships are about the same width, and so the balcony actually takes some of the room space. Viking is I believe the only exception, as they have their hallway moved off centre on the longships in order that the balcony cabins are larger. Avalon is only french balcony. You will probably be spending sailing time during the day in the public areas anyway, in order to see both sides of the river, but it's nice if you are early risers to enjoy a coffee in your cabin with the window open.

If you don't have a TA, I would suggest finding one who know river cruising, as they can discuss with you the different lines available and what suits you and your budget. 

Have fun planning, and make sure to read the notes pinned to the top of the forum for some great information about river cruising. 

• Like 1

I would suggest Scenic, specially because they offer a 10-night itinerary on the Seine that gives you much more of Normandy.  You can read my review of this cruise (from this spring) here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2875979-review-of-normandy-gems-of-the-seine-cruise-on-scenic-gem-from-april-25–may-5-2022/

• Like 3

Viking is not in the same category as Scenic, Uniworld or Tauck.  I’ve not sailed on Scenic but can recommend Uniworld or Tauck.  Scenic has had some negative reviews lately.  As mentioned Uniworld has a rather old world decor while Tauck is modern and very comfortable with very well-designed cabins. Food, beverage and inclusiveness seems to be fairly equal on the two lines as well as service.  But Tauck really excels in the quality of their tours and the little surprise extras sprinkled throughout the cruise.  Tauck is truly all-inclusive and Uniworld used to be but I did just read on another thread they now expect you to tip the tour guides.  Tauck will also gift you with a hotel night if you book within a certain time frame.  And finally, study the itineraries of each line and the excursions offered.  There are similarities and there can be some big differences.

• Like 2

I did Paris to Normandy in May on the AmaDante with Amawaterways (my 4th cruise with them and the only company I have first hand experience with in Europe).  In general I would say a lot of them are similar, I would look at the itineraries for the various lines and see which one floats your (river) boat to be honest.

Ama for example has two, the one I was on which was one way from Paris ending (or starting) in La Havre on the English channel with a potential land extension further south, and the other is a loop that does the entire river and then returns to Paris...I have to imagine this is a bit more tightly scheduled than the one I was on.

You say she's active but do be aware that stairs are very much a thing on a river ship and elevator access will vary (on Ama for example there is one, but it doesnt reach all areas of the ship and definitely not the sun deck).

• Like 1

I cruised a few years ago on a smaller ship with Grand Circle Cruise Line.  Why I would recommend it over other lines with bigger ships is the beginning and end of the cruise. In Paris We docked at the Quai de Grennelle, opposite the Isle of Swans. We had a tremendous view of the Eiffel Tower right in front of the ship. When it “twinkled” at night it was one of the most memorable nights I’ve had! Also at the end of the Seine we docked in the old harbor at Honfleur. Most cruise lines bus you in to the charming town instead. So as most companies have very similar itineraries, I recommend checking where they dock in Paris and Brittany.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HoneyJan said:

I cruised a few years ago on a smaller ship with Grand Circle Cruise Line.  Why I would recommend it over other lines with bigger ships is the beginning and end of the cruise. In Paris We docked at the Quai de Grennelle, opposite the Isle of Swans. We had a tremendous view of the Eiffel Tower right in front of the ship. When it “twinkled” at night it was one of the most memorable nights I’ve had! Also at the end of the Seine we docked in the old harbor at Honfleur. Most cruise lines bus you in to the charming town instead. So as most companies have very similar itineraries, I recommend checking where they dock in Paris and Brittany.

Most river ships dock at the Quai de Grennelle in Paris – even Viking, now that they have caved and built smaller ships to satisfy the French safety requirements.  You are right that Grand Circle is one of the few that can actually dock in Honfleur – CroisiEurope [French] and Scenic are the other two.  And you are right that this makes a tremendous difference, being docked right there in the heart of Normandy with much easier access to the D-Day beaches and Bayeux [and Honfleur is so much nicer to be in at night than Le Havre].

• Like 1

One thing I really like with Tauck is the lower passenger count than on other ships of similar size, no more than 98 pax.  The smallest cabins on most ships are 225 sf.  Their tour groups also tend to be small, usually only  8-10. In addition to a cruise director there are 3 tour directors plus local guides at each stop.

• Like 2

Hi - I agree with texasstaar about considering another time other than July.  It can be hot - and although the boats are air conditioned, not all of the buildings on your stops would be.

There are many options to consider.  Balcony --> many only have a French balcony but you can sit beside it and see the outside.  Scenic definitely has balcony space - and Viking does on some of their ships.  Can't speak to a balcony - we usually travel lowest category (aka Aquarium Class) as we spend very little time in our cabin.  But be aware that these boats often raft against one another - so you may open your curtains and be looking into a cabin in the boat your are docked beside!! 

Scenic, Uniworld and Tauck include gratuities - but their upfront price is often more to start. 

Take a look at included excursions.  Do you have options at the different stops?  For example, your Mom wants to go to Normandy - but is she only interested in the beaches?  Perhaps she would like to see the Bayeux Tapestry (it is awesome!!) but not all lines offer that as a tour.  

Enjoy your planning... and your trip!!

Fran

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

One thing I really like with Tauck is the lower passenger count than on other ships of similar size, no more than 98 pax.  The smallest cabins on most ships are 225 sf.  Their tour groups also tend to be small, usually only  8-10. In addition to a cruise director there are 3 tour directors plus local guides at each stop.

I'm sailing on the ms Grace in December and my cabin is 150 sq. ft.  The ship can carry 130 passengers.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, franski said:

Balcony --> many only have a French balcony but you can sit beside it and see the outside.  Scenic definitely has balcony space - and Viking does on some of their ships.

For all Viking Longship I believe the count is 48 cabins with a proper balcony (9 of which are suites) and 22 cabins with french balconies. There are 25 "aquarium" cabins on the lower deck. This is the 135m Longships, all laid out the same. The new 110m ships are truncated in several places to include fewer cabins. 

Edited by Haqdeluxe
Add more details
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, franski said:

Take a look at included excursions.  Do you have options at the different stops?  For example, your Mom wants to go to Normandy - but is she only interested in the beaches?  Perhaps she would like to see the Bayeux Tapestry (it is awesome!!) but not all lines offer that as a tour.  

It is important to look at the details, I agree. Perhaps not the best line to choose for the OP, but the CroisiEurope itinerary that goes to Honfleur is a really nice one. I got the 2023 catalogue in the post this morning and noticed that the Seine itinerary does not include the Normandy landing beaches. The company has a different focus, but that may just be the German sailings. Do check the offers of the company in English but be aware that the company is French and prides itself on French-European cuisine with the alternative choices for "picky eaters" somewhat limited.

My choice would be a one-way trip. Your mother being active perhaps she would enjoy a train ride back to Paris. It is a relatively short journey. But sailing out of Paris and back into Paris has its draw, no doubt.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

It is important to look at the details, I agree. Perhaps not the best line to choose for the OP, but the CroisiEurope itinerary that goes to Honfleur is a really nice one. I got the 2023 catalogue in the post this morning and noticed that the Seine itinerary does not include the Normandy landing beaches. The company has a different focus, but that may just be the German sailings. Do check the offers of the company in English but be aware that the company is French and prides itself on French-European cuisine with the alternative choices for "picky eaters" somewhat limited.

My choice would be a one-way trip. Your mother being active perhaps she would enjoy a train ride back to Paris. It is a relatively short journey. But sailing out of Paris and back into Paris has its draw, no doubt.

notamermaid

Earlier this year, while on a cruise with a competing line, I received the opportunity to tour a CroisiEurope ship that was docked with us. I was very impressed. Enough so that I did further research and comparing once home. As @notamermaid suggests, it will be a much more European experience than most of the other lines. While welcoming to American travelers they aren't catering to us. You will enjoy an overall  more European mix of passengers. We are actively looking for a slot to slip a CroisiEurope cruise in next year. I'm also keen on their barge offering.

Cheers 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Earlier this year, while on a cruise with a competing line, I received the opportunity to tour a CroisiEurope ship that was docked with us. I was very impressed.

That is interesting. CroisiEurope does open days on the ship MS Symphonie, meaning the ship docks in several towns and you can have a look round. Did it several years ago and could also speak to the captain briefly. While not sumptuous I found the cabins looked really nice and the atmosphere was really welcoming with a pleasant colour scheme. The sample menu was French based cuisine with international touches.

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:08 PM, franski said:

But be aware that these boats often raft against one another - so you may open your curtains and be looking into a cabin in the boat your are docked beside!! 

Really!!!?????   I have never heard of that.   Thanks for mentioning it. 

Rafting is very common in some ports. Usually two ships together. In Vienna we had three together at one point. Not to be too negative about it but here is the situation with Viking. There is the notion that Viking has the prime spots along the rivers Rhine and Danube. That is actually a fact and based on the history of how Viking Flussreisen and then Viking River Cruises came into being. However, these days Viking has so many ships that they raft with each other and sometimes due to lack of space for themselves move out to not so favourable locations. Granted, the rivers are getting busier with other companies and their ships too. As I said this is not a direct criticism but an inherent fact that may get overlooked in advertising. Viking has the great docking locations but you will often not be alone and there is likely to be another ship next to you or nearby, more often than not a Viking ship.

The ports on the Seine are somewhat different and I am not familiar with them. The main difference between itineraries as regards docking locations is what has been mentioned already: where do ships dock in Paris and do they go as far as Honfleur or not. On the Seine Viking originally started with 135m ships that cannot go to Honfleur and due to the authorities not granting permission (safety reasons) did not dock in Paris proper but at LePecq. That caused a major logistics/customer satisfaction problem. Uniworld saw the problem and went on to build a 125m ship, the SS Joie de Vivre. Then Viking decided to build four (!) 125m ships for the Seine. The 125m ships dock in Paris proper and CroisiEurope have always docked in Paris proper as they only deploy 110m ships.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Having taken two cruises on AMA Waterways (Tulip Time and Rhine Christmas Markets,) and on Uniworld (Seine River Paris to the coast and Bordeaux):

For a Seine River cruise, look into Uniworld.  Their ship Joie de Vivre is spectacularly beautiful and elegant.  I took my spouse, daughter, brother and sister in law on the Uniworld Seine River cruise and they all loved it.

Embarked at the Quai de Grenelle in Paris, with lovely view of Tour Eiffel.  Excellent on board experience and lovely fellow travellers made for fun in the evenings! At Honfleur, walked short distance from ship to the town center, looked around, and had a lovely galette lunch in a little hole in the wall restaurant.  One of the favorite ports.  Giverny in full bloom mid October, another favorite stop.  And a full day to the D-Day beaches and American cemetery.  

AMA Waterways also lovely cruise, excellent cruise director and much merriment on board due to the season.  Ship not quite as elegant as the Uniworld Joie de Vivre and AMA is not "all inclusive," which means some drink tabs, tipping, etc.  Not a deal breaker IMO.  

If your mom needs an elevator, explore which ships have those.  Joie de Vivre did have an elevator and a nice self laundry as well, if you want to use it. 

River cruisers do tie up next to each other at ports.  You usually can walk through the reception areas from boat to boat. But not always and you may be climbing to the sun deck and down more stairs as you traverse the ships to shore.  You may find your balcony cabin is looking right into another cruiser's cabin window.  We've had both upper tier balcony cabins and lower deck cabins with just port hole windows.  I actually preferred the privacy of the lower deck cabins, which tend to be smaller but full of comforts.  Although you trade some light for that privacy.

We are now embarking on our first Scenic cruise (Danube) which I picked for the specific itinerary/stops.  We've travelled along the Danube by automobile in the past, and I wanted my daughter to be able to visit Nuremberg (our family comes from there.)  The logistics and communications have been a little challenged.  If you use a travel agent rather than booking directly with Scenic, they will communicate and send materials to the TA, not to you directly.  We got the Glen Moroney letter a few weeks ago, to my personal email.  Will roll with the punches and hope for the best, so jury is out on Scenic at this time.   

• Like 4

As I recall, our ship docked near the town.  We visited a fish market ( L'Hippocampe poissonnerie) that was close to shore and from there walked to the ship. I don't recall any long bus ride like the one to the Normandy beaches.  Maybe my memory is mistaken, it was in 2018. Mea culpa.  Will keep my notes to myself from now on. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, winegirl said:

As I recall, our ship docked near the town.  We visited a fish market ( L'Hippocampe poissonnerie) that was close to shore and from there walked to the ship. I don't recall any long bus ride like the one to the Normandy beaches.  Maybe my memory is mistaken, it was in 2018. Mea culpa.  Will keep my notes to myself from now on. 

No mea culpa necessary – they may have been allowed to dock in Honfleur in 2018.  But it would be a big disappointment if someone booked Uniworld now expecting to dock there.