Child of Parents who have Princess Plus

Thrak

One of our sons has booked his family with us on a future cruise. They booked with Princess Plus and are in an inside cabin for $1,329.00 each. Their daughter will be 6 when they sail and her fare was only $499.00.  On the travel summary I see the Princess Plus perks for the two adults but nothing for their daughter. Does this mean she has zero perks (I would have expected her to have the package with sodas, mocktails, etc.). As I don't have any young children at home I really don't know if I should expect her to have this package or if the low fare indicates she was booked without any perks. How, exactly, does this work?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I'm certain to be asked about it.

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

One of our sons has booked his family with us on a future cruise. They booked with Princess Plus and are in an inside cabin for $1,329.00 each. Their daughter will be 6 when they sail and her fare was only $499.00.  On the travel summary I see the Princess Plus perks for the two adults but nothing for their daughter. Does this mean she has zero perks (I would have expected her to have the package with sodas, mocktails, etc.). As I don't have any young children at home I really don't know if I should expect her to have this package or if the low fare indicates she was booked without any perks. How, exactly, does this work?

I am starting to investigate future cruises with DDs family. I noticed that for the 3rd and 4th person in a cabin (7 day), the price is generally $499 regardless of booking as Standard, Plus or Premier. This is probably ok as that gives you the option to add drinks package or wifi or not for the kids.  Not a TA, so I don't know if there are other options that include "Plus-like" things for 3rd and 4th passenger.

It probably means that the third person will have zero perks. Just this past May, my aunt, sister, and I cruised three in a cabin.  All three of us received Princess Plus.  When I looked at another sailing for the three of us, I was surprised to see that the third person did not receive any additional perks. 

Even more surprising is when I went to book a double occupancy cruise and found that it was the same price to get two single cabins. There's been some strange pricing lately. 

Edited by partybarbie
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thrak said:

With the new package addition came a change to the way you add Plus. It now only adds to guests 1 and 2 and you have to request it for 3 and 4 if wanted. So if perks aren’t showing for kiddo in personalizer then no perks are included for them. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure what cruise this is, the old Promo for many 2023 cruises was third passenger free.  That fare seems high for a child in an inside.  But, I guess it is what it is.

Ohhhhh,  kids today can, unfortunately, be soda-holies!!!!  Mine didn't get all that soda!  No way would I feet that to their growing healthy body.  But, don't underestimate how much soda kids and adults drink!

Thrak, can people still bring some soda/juice/water onboard?  That might cut down on the amount of buying soda onboard.

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

At the age of 6, does the kid even need the soda package?

How many sodas can a kid that small drink in a day anyway!?

Mine never drank soda until they were teens, but those Choco-Bananas were worth getting the soda package for! Mind you, that was before it was a package and when it was just a sticker on the card!

• Like 1

Not to hijack this thread and it might be better if I start a new one, but it's related. I thought at one point when the amount of the deposit for cruises changed, there was only a deposit needed for passenger 1 and 2. It now appears that it is also needed for passenger 3 and 4 if I do a mock booking.....

....or maybe I just dreamed that???? 🙄

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

At the age of 6, does the kid even need the soda package?

How many sodas can a kid that small drink in a day anyway!?

Actually she doesn't really drink much of that sort of stuff. I was thinking maybe a package so she could have mocktails but it might be cheaper just to buy them. It's not up to me as I'm just the grandfather. There's a lot of time to "think" as the cruise is quite a way in the future but they have been asking questions and I am figuring out the answers.

27 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Actually she doesn't really drink much of that sort of stuff. I was thinking maybe a package so she could have mocktails but it might be cheaper just to buy them. It's not up to me as I'm just the grandfather. There's a lot of time to "think" as the cruise is quite a way in the future but they have been asking questions and I am figuring out the answers.

What do you mean, "I'm just the grandfather"?  You de man!!! 😇

At the risk of sounding unethical, for the number of mocktails granddaughter could consume, I would think dad or granddads plus package could handle a mocktail or two...

• Like 1

This notation is on a booking confirmation made for four passengers with Princess Plus in July: 

effective May 25, 2022 for cruises sailing June 25, 2022 and later, this fare includes Princess Plus for pax 1 & 2 only.”

Your sons booking confirmation might have a similar note on it unless they booked prior to May 25, 2022.  To confirm whether all have Plus they could check their Travel Summary or ask Princess or TA to check special services to see if passenger 3 has amenities. 

As mentioned they could add Princess Plus for passenger 3, but for a 6 year old pay as you go seems like the least expensive option.

• Like 1

Thrak, I don't know if your little girl will be going to the kids' club or not, but it used to be they provided snacks and such for the little kids.  We always loved Princess kids' clubs, and I hope they are still the same after this restart.

I thought you were restricted to a maximum of fifteen drinks per day but these are are only alcoholic drinks.  Any soft drinks do not count towards the limit and are not charged.  Therefore I am thinking if the parents order drinks for the children it will be at nil cost.  I cannot see a six year old ordering independently on the app or calling a drinks waiter over without parents present.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, john watson said:

I thought you were restricted to a maximum of fifteen drinks per day but these are are only alcoholic drinks.  Any soft drinks do not count towards the limit and are not charged.  Therefore I am thinking if the parents order drinks for the children it will be at nil cost.  I cannot see a six year old ordering independently on the app or calling a drinks waiter over without parents present.

But against the rules for the package:

• Packages may NOT be shared, are NON-transferable and NON-refundable.
  • Shipboard management reserves the right to add additional restrictions and revoke or cancel the Plus Beverage Package at any point during a guest’s voyage for any reason with or without a prorated refund. Additional actions may be taken if guests:
    • Provide beverages to other guests or do NOT comply with the terms, conditions and limitations of the package
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Daniel A said:

What do you mean, "I'm just the grandfather"?  You de man!!! 😇

At the risk of sounding unethical, for the number of mocktails granddaughter could consume, I would think dad or granddads plus package could handle a mocktail or two...

I don't think I have ever been asked to prove the kids had a package - even though they always did. Their drinks were always just put through on my package, unless they go to the bar and order themselves.

Crew will figure out pretty quickly that Parent is ordering and handing it off to Child. Which is of course against the rules. If Dad makes a comment about having  a package but child doesn’t so go ahead and bill me, the crew member may or may not bill it. But Dad should be absolutely upfront about being willing to pay for it. Some crew miss their own little ones at home and enjoy spoiling the kids. 

If too much sharing goes on Princess will make it mandatory for guests 3 and 4 to pay for packages similar to (age appropriate of course) to guests 1 and 2. 

It wasn’t that long ago that Guest 1 could have a package and Guest  2 didn’t have to. I loved that about Princess. But too much sharing and bye bye to that. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Crew will figure out pretty quickly that Parent is ordering and handing it off to Child. Which is of course against the rules. If Dad makes a comment about having  a package but child doesn’t so go ahead and bill me, the crew member may or may not bill it. But Dad should be absolutely upfront about being willing to pay for it. Some crew miss their own little ones at home and enjoy spoiling the kids. 

If too much sharing goes on Princess will make it mandatory for guests 3 and 4 to pay for packages similar to (age appropriate of course) to guests 1 and 2. 

It wasn’t that long ago that Guest 1 could have a package and Guest  2 didn’t have to. I loved that about Princess. But too much sharing and bye bye to that. 

Although the Plus and Premier Cruise Fare options require both Guest 1 & 2 in a cabin to subscribe, AFAIK, an individual guest can still purchase the Plus or Premier Beverage Packages.  (That said, I don't know why anyone would as you may as well both get the Cruise Fare).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

Don't forget, they have smoothies at breakfast time in the International Cafe and there is no charge for those and they are quite good.  They come in just the right size for a 6 year old.  

55 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Although the Plus and Premier Cruise Fare options require both Guest 1 & 2 in a cabin to subscribe, AFAIK, an individual guest can still purchase the Plus or Premier Beverage Packages.  (That said, I don't know why anyone would as you may as well both get the Cruise Fare).

I guess because those stand alone drink packages are sooooooooooo expensive I forget they still exist. 

• Haha 1