Just got back from Allure of the Seas cruise. Has food fallen off on all post-Covid?

AZDivers

4 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Food opinions are, of course, very subjective.

People will try to make them subjective but in reality how food is cooked, quality of raw ingredients, and skills of staff will show through. 

It's why there can be cooking schools and reviewers.

When you ask for medium rare and a steak was cooked to 170 and is brown throughout that is a factual accounting of food being poorly prepared. 

Also if the option for chicken is grilled chicken (no marinade, seasoning other than salt/pepper) that is basic preparation.

Finally had a buffalo sauce that was not made of the hot sauce style that would be used and likely didn't have butter either when on NCL. Again that's not subjective that their buffalo wings are not buffalo. (it was so off the first order we thought we got the Asian style wings) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J0Y0US said:

People will try to make them subjective but in reality how food is cooked, quality of raw ingredients, and skills of staff will show through. 

When you ask for medium rare and a steak was cooked to 170 and is brown throughout that is a factual accounting of food being poorly prepared. 

Also if the option for chicken is grilled chicken (no marinade, seasoning other than salt/pepper) that is basic preparation.

Finally had a buffalo sauce that was not made of the hot sauce style that would be used and likely didn't have butter either when on NCL. Again that's not subjective that their buffalo wings are not buffalo. (it was so off the first order we thought we got the Asian style wings) 

Yes, something extremely under or overcooked isn't subjective... but the general, overall opinions are most definitely subjective.

I've never not been able to enjoy a meal in the WJ, some are just more enjoyable than others. Many people feel the WJ is terrible and avoid it at all costs... that's subjective.

Boarding Harmony on Sunday...will check it out then.   But as to the cruises we have taken since shut down...I actually did not notice if they were worse than pre Covid or not.  

We cruise knowing the food is mass production...mass feeding.  I don't cruise to eat...but just eat to maintain sustenance on the cruise.  Can always find something edible to eat somewhere.  

If I want personalized freshly prepared good food from scratch...I will stay home.  😉 

We are there for the adventure and a little one on one time with the sea.  🥰

• Like 6

Just now, island lady said:

I don't cruise to eat

I do (as you know), lol, or at least it's a part I greatly enjoy... and I've been perfectly happy with the the food I've had on both my post-covid cruises. Some items were excellent, some good, some avergaem and some terrible... when I come across something terrible, I move on to something else. Like you said, one can always find something edible somewhere.

• Like 3

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

I do (as you know), lol, or at least it's a part I greatly enjoy... and I've been perfectly happy with the the food I've had on both my post-covid cruises. Some items were excellent, some good, some avergaem and some terrible... when I come across something terrible, I move on to something else. Like you said, one can always find something edible somewhere.

For use...I think the cocktails are a higher priority.  😄 😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Food that is clearly prepared poorly is not the subjective part. The sweeping generalized opinions like "the WJ was terrible" when I, personally, have never been unable to enjoy a meal in the WJ (some are obviously better than others), are subjective.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AZDivers said:

Just got back from a great cruise to Curacao and Aruba. Although the weather was INSANELY hot the cruise itself was amazing and we had a great time on our 3rd Oasis class.

However, the food was super noticeably much much lower quality than previous Oasis class ships. The main dining room most notably was super subpar compared to previous sailings, often cold dishes and uninspired menu. The buffet was also quite bad. Super basic. This was our first post Covid cruise so judging by the consensus with other sailors on board they were noticing the same thing. 

Is this on most RC ships right now?

The service on the other hand was across the board the best we have ever had. Literally all Filipino staff, no jamaicans anymore which was interesting.

I was on the same cruise as you and I would not agree with your opinion on the food. :)

I have been on 13 RCI cruises over the last year and I think the food in the MDR and speciality restaurants is just as good as it was pre-COVID. I can’t comment on the Windjammer because I never go there. I even liked the food in Wonderland when I was on Harmony, despite saying I would never go there again based on previous experience. I have yet to order anything in any restaurant that I didn’t like. I try to never take these food threads too seriously, since food is so subjective.  Also, when someone makes a general comment like all the food on the ship has gone downhill, I don’t give that comment too much credence. 

• Like 1

Count me as one that thinks the quality has gone way down, but I feel like the decline even started pre-covid. We wont even cruise Royal without the UDP package anymore, which I suppose was their hope all along, force people to pay even more $ for "decent" food.

• Like 2

I think the quality of food has dropped long before the pandemic. This has been across the board, all the lines we’ve been on, all the ships too. It went from very good overall to average, most of the time. It maybe ok if you only eat out occasionally, but when you are eating 2-3+ meals a day for several days, it tends to magnify the problem. Also, when we are paying $200, or higher, p.p. per day, ( for just the cruise, no add ons)for the whole experience, your expectations are higher and food is an important part of it. Someone once said “If you set your expectations low enough, you’ll never be disappointed.

Finally, we would never frequent any of the restaurants, including the specialty ones, if they we land based near us. We have chosen about ten restaurants, within twenty minutes of our house, the meet, or exceed our expectations, when it comes to quality, service, and value for the money, every single time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coaster said:

Great variety and even the pizza was good! WJ for our 3 cruises on Allure since May were a different story. No stir fry station.

Consistent inconsistency...Have cruised on Harmony 6 times since the restart, and there has been an excellent stir fry station in the WJ virtually every evening that matched whatever the theme of the evening was. They even had Thai rice noodles for those who were gluten free.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jrapps said:

. We wont even cruise Royal without the UDP package anymore, 

Neither will I and only one visit to the MDR to get escargot and tiger shrimp during my last cruise confirmed that.   The escargot were cold and rubbery and not what I remembered from the past and the "tiger shrimp" looked like the tiny shrimp that came on the shrimp cocktail.  None of the food was warm either.   It couldnt have been the crowds as there was only 1800 guests on a ship that holds over 4000.  It was the quality of the ingredients and temp food was served at.  All my specialty dining was excellent however.  Their trick worked on me 😉  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Consistent inconsistency...Have cruised on Harmony 6 times since the restart, and there has been an excellent stir fry station in the WJ virtually every evening that matched whatever the theme of the evening was. They even had Thai rice noodles for those who were gluten free.

The WJ cook to order station is one of the main reasons we go to the WJ. In addition to being as hot and freshly prepared as anything on the ship, my picky wife gets to design her own dish.

Didn't get to eat there much on Harmony last trip as the extended family got us suites and preferred CK or MDR for most meals but the spicy stir fry noodle dish I had there for lunch one day was as good as just about anything I had that week.

We just got back from our cruise on the Explorer and thought the same thing about the food.  We did have some things that were good to very good, but inconsistent.  For example, one night I had the salmon and it was very good.  Another night DH had it and it was pretty bad - very dry and little to no seasoning.  One night he had steak and said it was really good.  The night I had it, it was overcooked and very grisly.  Buffet was ok.  We mainly just had breakfast there.

58 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Food that is clearly prepared poorly is not the subjective part. The sweeping generalized opinions like "the WJ was terrible" when I, personally, have never been unable to enjoy a meal in the WJ (some are obviously better than others), are subjective.

👍, love the Windjammer. Always have at least one WJ dinner on every cruise, even when we had the UDP on a 12 night TA we ate dinner in the WJ once. 

28 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

The WJ cook to order station is one of the main reasons we go to the WJ.

The cook to order station on Mariner was making true eggs benedict every morning of our recent B2B cruise at the end of August😋

• Like 2

Speaking of subjectivity and opinions, the 'tenderloin' I mentioned in my previous reply was the 'subject' of a difference of opinions about the beef I was served. I mentioned to the waiter that I couldn't cut through the meat, and even if I could, I would probably still be trying to chew it until the second seating. So, the head waiter got wind of the situation and shows up at the table. The following conversation ensues.

Head waiter: Sir, is there something wrong with the beef?

Me: Sorry, but yes, there's no way this cut of beef is from the tenderloin.

Head waiter: Why do you think the beef is not a tenderloin?

Me: Because true beef tenderloin should be able to be cut with just a fork.

Head waiter: I'm sorry, what would you like me to do?

Me: Are you a betting man?

Head waiter: Sir? What?

Me: Bring me the optional tenderloin from Chops, and it it's even remotely similar to what is on my plate, I'll gladly pay for it, but, if it isn't you comp it.

Head waiter: Uh, umm, we'll bring you a freshly prepared steak from the kitchen.

Me: Then I we both agree about the 'tenderloin'?

Head waiter: Nods in agreement.

Me: Thank you.

Epilogue: It wasn't subjective that the meat was tough, and it wasn't just my opinion regarding the poor quality of the beef. BTW: The freshly prepared steak was actually very good.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

We are on Allure in October and dont like hearing some of the comments about poor food and long lines for MTD. I thought I read that there were two lines for MTD. Those with reservations and those without?

Have read there are 2 lines but both are long either way you look at it. Be prepared.

4 hours ago, sjb317 said:

We resumed cruising in August, 2021 and have done 12 cruises since.  IMO,  there has been a noticeable decline in food quality during this time.  As the passenger numbers increased, food declined. 

3 of our cruises were on Allure, one in September, one in April and one a month later.  Big difference in the food from September to May!  One of my favorite dished is the beef short ribs, it was just a big glob of fat in May.   Our waiter brought me another one that was only slightly better.  

Service was great although I felt sorry for dining room staff as they seemed to be running around like crazy.  Very chaotic.

Sherri🙂

Thanks for the honest review, you have been on enough cruises to know. Any thoughts of just not cruising anymore until things get straighten out?

Saw you laughing reaction to my post above about Grandeur, not really sure that was needed.     @John&LaLa it's not me saying things have declined, just sounds more and more like the "New Norm"

When you go on your World Cruise I guess you might see it for yourself after 270 days..........Hopefully things will be "ALOT" better by then for you.

Keep the drinks flowing maybe won't even notice the food. 🤣 Hopefully restrictions  don't carry over to the alcohol each ship is carrying onboard.

It's just so sad to hear how some things are declining on cruises. It's just not Royal either, Have read a lot of the same issues on other lines.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have honestly never had a problem with the food.  If I get something I don't like, I just get something else.  We have never done specialty dining, but we will be on our next cruise in November.  Whatever I am eating on a cruise is better then what I am cooking at home, and I don't have to clean up!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AZDivers said:

Just got back from a great cruise to Curacao and Aruba. Although the weather was INSANELY hot the cruise itself was amazing and we had a great time on our 3rd Oasis class.

However, the food was super noticeably much much lower quality than previous Oasis class ships. The main dining room most notably was super subpar compared to previous sailings, often cold dishes and uninspired menu. The buffet was also quite bad. Super basic. This was our first post Covid cruise so judging by the consensus with other sailors on board they were noticing the same thing. 

Is this on most RC ships right now?

The service on the other hand was across the board the best we have ever had. Literally all Filipino staff, no jamaicans anymore which was interesting.

I haven't read any of the other responses to this post. Its all subjective and Ill bet many think the food is not as good and others think its just fine. One of those never ending posts. I have been on Allure recently.

Edited by RJ257
Added information

I thought the buffet food in the WJ and the food in the MDR was good, just lacked variety from day to day. 

I actually paid the for the 3 night SDP and hated it...Went to Sabor/Giovanni's/Chops and was pretty disappointed in each one. I actually thought the MDR and the Buffet was better than my SDP. 

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks for the honest review, you have been on enough cruises to know. Any thoughts of just not cruising anymore until things get straighten out?

Food is not that important to me to stop cruising, I love being out in the ocean and really missed it during the shutdown.  Our next cruises are on Celebrity and Viking, we are not sailing on Royal until a B2B on Jewel in December, maybe there will be some improvement?😂😂

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

Food is not that important to me to stop cruising, I love being out in the ocean and really missed it during the shutdown.  Our next cruises are on Celebrity and Viking, we are not sailing on Royal until a B2B on Jewel in December, maybe there will be some improvement?😂😂

Sherri🙂

That's part of the "Wow" factor in cruising though. Can get the Ocean feel at any land based island vacation. I liked it better when you used to cruise and get the whole experience. Don't like now where we might have to concede certain things that are lacking now. Just doesn't make cruising as attractive  as it used to be without getting the whole package. 😞