Dealing with seasickness

jimbo1683

Sorry I asked this before and can't find the thread now. We are just 2 months away from our first ever cruise. My husband has suffered seasickness in the past when travelling on cross-channel and greek island ferries. I know this is different, but he needs to have a good experience otherwise is going to be reluctant to go on cruises in future. We have a Club Britannia mid-forward cabin.

What non-drowsy medications, herbal remedies, other tools and techniques would you recommend to ward off seasickness?

• Like 1

I suffer from motion sickness and personally prefer sea bands, although I always pack non drowsy travel medication and ginger tea/biscuits. Have coped with choppy waters on the North Sea in an aft cabin. On a TA crossing I opt for a mid ship, lower deck just in case. 

• Like 2

Only twice in my close to 30+ sailings have I experienced seasickness on board a ship.

I do take with me Dramamine Non Drowsy (Meclizine HCL 25mg) over the counter. Once on board I purchased a envelope of medication (same) from the Pursers Deck instead of the shot offered by the Medical Center. Since it doesn't happen that often, I don't take it will the initial feelings.

I was once treated by my stewardess on the QE2 when feeling unwell due to weather at sea. She gave me the same medications, cup of tea, crackers and some mild cheese. WOW it's worked and I thanked her. I will never forget her. Her name was Virginia.

• Like 2

I can get seasick on a lake.  The only thing that works for me Scopoderm patches. I've tried herbial, bands, dramine etc etc. Scopoderm  kept it under control while in the southern ocean on a small boat.  Many people were sick - I was sick in the end but it got rid of the nausea - and that is what makes it so miserable. 

We came of the QE after 34 days and I started feeling movement the 2nd morning - so I got my partner to put a patch on before I got out of bed (lying horizontal is a cure for me but somewhat inconvenient) - it lasts 3 days and after that I didn't need it again It was a flat crossing (we were on SF to Barcelona) - except between Azores and Maderia although the swell wasn't high we were sailing across it and several people weren't happy about it - but I'd  got my sealegs and I was fine. 

If I was he - I'd put the patch on 12 hours before sailing - its truly a game changer 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2022 at 12:57 PM, jimbo1683 said:

What non-drowsy medications, herbal remedies, other tools and techniques would you recommend to ward off seasickness?

Would highly recommend candied ginger. We have owned small sailboats (10m) for almost 50 years now. We always give a piece of candied ginger to anyone who sails with us and has concerns about being sea sick. In all that time we have never had an occurrence. 

Jack

5 hours ago, lissie said:

I can get seasick on a lake.  The only thing that works for me Scopoderm patches. I've tried herbial, bands, dramine etc etc. Scopoderm  kept it under control while in the southern ocean on a small boat.  Many people were sick - I was sick in the end but it got rid of the nausea - and that is what makes it so miserable. 

We came of the QE after 34 days and I started feeling movement the 2nd morning - so I got my partner to put a patch on before I got out of bed (lying horizontal is a cure for me but somewhat inconvenient) - it lasts 3 days and after that I didn't need it again It was a flat crossing (we were on SF to Barcelona) - except between Azores and Maderia although the swell wasn't high we were sailing across it and several people weren't happy about it - but I'd  got my sealegs and I was fine. 

If I was he - I'd put the patch on 12 hours before sailing - its truly a game changer 

I'm in agreement with you.  Get a prescription for the Patch and then use it if you think it may be rough seas.  I get dry mouth with it, but that's a very small price to pay for not being green and miserable.

• Like 1

Stugeron 15 works for me too - and for the rare occasions when’s he has been affected, for my other half too. Fortunately, it doesn’t make us sleepy. The trick is to try to take it before you feel ill but it has also worked for us once we’ve had the onset of nausea. I also found a rumless mojito from the bars helped to reduce associated feelings of dizziness. 

Years ago on the QE2 my mum & I used to get anti- sea sickness injections on the first night, which  fixed us for the rest of the trip. I believe these are still available (for a charge), if nothing else works.  When we had them, you needed to head straight to bed as they made you very sleepy, very quickly. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 8:00 AM, Kynance said:

Years ago on the QE2 my mum & I used to get anti- sea sickness injections on the first night, which  fixed us for the rest of the trip. I believe these are still available (for a charge), if nothing else works.  When we had them, you needed to head straight to bed as they made you very sleepy, very quickly. 

I get seasick in a bath. Had a VERY rough crossing of the Drake Passage and ended up with the doc or nurse in my stateroom every hour on the hour, was on an IV for the first 2 days, fortunately finally got my sea legs the day we arrived got to Antarctica. Sailed to Pitcairn Island on the supply ship, had the patch, band, and seasickness pills and only threw up once 😄 

I also got a shot on the QE2, Phenergan, and it worked a treat - but yes, have the shot at night. Doing a world cruise in 2024 and definitely going to line up for a shot first night just in case.

We used the patch on drakes passage and enjoyed watching the 30 and 40 ft waves crashing into the ship for two days straight. Not so much for the  rest of the passengers, all whom (except for two) were European.

Don’t know if it’s not sold or prescribed there?

it’s doesn’t mix with alcohol but if you are prone to sea sickness, probably best to avoid it anyhow. 
I find the patch really helps even when i am snorkeling. Only side affect is dry mouth for me. Also helps with vertigo.

It is a prescription medication in the US

• Thanks 1

A couple of weeks ago we were on Queen Victoria sailing between Sardinia and Malaga, Spain. The captain announced that the Mistral was increasing in strength and advised everyone to use the handrails when moving around the ship.

It was choppy and I was seasick. The medical centre sent up a box of Avomine and they worked. The cost was around $13.

I wasn't looking forward to crossing the Bay of Biscay but that turned out to be incredibly calm. 

• Like 2

Holland and Barrett candied ginger is good.  Eat a couple of lumps and swallow them as soon as you can.  Available in the stores and on line in UK. Cunard ships and cross-channel ferries are very different with the latter being really rough.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Avomine or Stugeron for me - always take one before even boarding !  Tried the wristbands but didn’t do anything for me and was still sick with them on.  So the pills for me at least. 

Edited by watsonbeau
  • Like 1

On the recent QM2 sailing to NE/CAN was better than we expected. 

We were on the heals of Fiona and though having slight seas and some rain it was a pleasant feeling on board. Only once in a while did we had to correct our balances