Still 9 months out - already worried about COVID testing

Taykee1

We are travelling from Australia for a cruise on the 25th June out of Seattle to Alaska and returning to Seattle. We are arriving 23rd so hoping this will give me time to find a place that I can test. (Don't even know where to start there ). I have also just realised when we arrive back in Seattle on the 2nd July, I have planned to catch Amtrak to Vancouver to continue our travels, I want to catch the 10.45am train which I know I will have plenty of time to catch. My issue is since I am returning to Canada I am assuming I will have to have another COVID test. Not sure how I will get this done in a 3 hour window from disembarking to catching my train. I know a lot can change in 9 months, however if Canada still require a negative test I'm at odds as to what to do especially now the trip is planned and booked. Any help on where in seattle I can get tested on the 24th June and also the 2nd July would be much appreciated. I hope I will wake up one day soon and see COVID testing is no longer needed but I can't see that happening :). 

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

RCG have recently suspended testing for cruises of 9 days or less, so hopefully things are heading in the right direction.

I have not heard of this. Can you direct us to this breaking news?

4 minutes ago, MileHighAko said:

As far as I understand TODAY you can enter Canada via train, car, even boat without needing to test. Only if you're arriving via cruise ship do you need to test to enter Canada. I can't imagine this rule continues into next year's cruising season.

That's my belief as well. The Canadian "cruise season" effectively ends in October, or not much past that, so they will almost certainly maintain the testing requirement for the remainder of the this season, then re-assess prior to the start of next year's cruise season.

• Like 1

No one knows what next year will bring, but currently you do not need a covid test to enter Canada by land or air. You just need to fill out the ArriveCan app. What the cruise lines require for boarding is a separate thing.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mom says said:

No one knows what next year will bring, but currently you do not need a covid test to enter Canada by land or air. You just need to fill out the ArriveCan app. What the cruise lines require for boarding is a separate thing.

Technically, it's the government of Canada that requires a test to enter Canada ON A CRUISE SHIP, not the cruise lines. All other methods of entry, no testing is required.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#pre-embarkation-test

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Technically, it's the government of Canada that requires a test to enter Canada ON A CRUISE SHIP, not the cruise lines. All other methods of entry, no testing is required.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#pre-embarkation-test

The OPs primary concern , in the first post, was regarding getting a test in a hurry in order to enter Canada after their cruise ended in Seattle. My answer was directed at that concern. OP had already stated they knew about testing before boarding in Seattle.

It's too far out to have any idea what testing requirements will be, but I'll say this: the hold times for proctored tests are taking much longer than they were, probably because eMed is scaling back it's business as testing becomes less and less of a thing.  Other than cruises (and only very few of them) I don't know anything that's requiring a proctored test anymore.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Taykee1 said:

We are travelling from Australia for a cruise on the 25th June out of Seattle to Alaska and returning to Seattle. We are arriving 23rd so hoping this will give me time to find a place that I can test. (Don't even know where to start there ). I have also just realised when we arrive back in Seattle on the 2nd July, I have planned to catch Amtrak to Vancouver to continue our travels, I want to catch the 10.45am train which I know I will have plenty of time to catch. My issue is since I am returning to Canada I am assuming I will have to have another COVID test. Not sure how I will get this done in a 3 hour window from disembarking to catching my train. I know a lot can change in 9 months, however if Canada still require a negative test I'm at odds as to what to do especially now the trip is planned and booked. Any help on where in seattle I can get tested on the 24th June and also the 2nd July would be much appreciated. I hope I will wake up one day soon and see COVID testing is no longer needed but I can't see that happening :). 

IN case you are still confused, you do NOT need a test to enter Canada traveling in the manner you propose.  Despite our foot-dragging federal government on protocols, I would say it is HIGHLY unlikely what we have now will be reversed.  There is a chance there won't even be a test required for cruising by next summer.

Now, I'd like to give you something more concrete to consider.  Your voyage doesn't arrive into Victoria, BC, until 7:00pm on the last day of the voyage.  Ship leaves at midnight for Seattle.

Why are you even bothering to return to Seattle, just to jump on a train and return to Canada (Vancouver)? 

I'd consider leaving the ship in Victoria, stay over at least one night and get to see it in the daytime as well (yes I know the sun sets late on July 1).  BTW, July 1 is Canada Day, so could be some fireworks out in Victoria harbor that evening.  You can take a ferry from the island over to the mainland and into Vancouver.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Taykee1 said:

I have also just realised when we arrive back in Seattle on the 2nd July, I have planned to catch Amtrak to Vancouver to continue our travels, I want to catch the 10.45am train which I know I will have plenty of time to catch. My issue is since I am returning to Canada I am assuming I will have to have another COVID test. 

A Covid test is not required to enter Canada, regardless of what mode of transportation you are on.  Currently, Canada does require a negative Covid test prior to boarding a cruise ship that leaves from or stops in Canada.  However, there is a good chance that will change by next year, so I wouldn't worry about it now.

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IN case you are still confused, you do NOT need a test to enter Canada traveling in the manner you propose.  Despite our foot-dragging federal government on protocols, I would say it is HIGHLY unlikely what we have now will be reversed.  There is a chance there won't even be a test required for cruising by next summer.

Now, I'd like to give you something more concrete to consider.  Your voyage doesn't arrive into Victoria, BC, until 7:00pm on the last day of the voyage.  Ship leaves at midnight for Seattle.

Why are you even bothering to return to Seattle, just to jump on a train and return to Canada (Vancouver)? 

I'd consider leaving the ship in Victoria, stay over at least one night and get to see it in the daytime as well (yes I know the sun sets late on July 1).  BTW, July 1 is Canada Day, so could be some fireworks out in Victoria harbor that evening.  You can take a ferry from the island over to the mainland and into Vancouver.

I don't think you are allowed to disembark before the cruise is over.  I know people get stranded in ports by not getting back on, but there is some sort of maritime law about it.  

43 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I don't think you are allowed to disembark before the cruise is over.  I know people get stranded in ports by not getting back on, but there is some sort of maritime law about it.  

This is called a downline disembarkation and depends on both the cruiseline and the specific itinerary. Some cruiselines don't allow it at all. Others allow it if it doesn't violate PVSA and is permitted by the receiving country.  Previous permission by the cruiseline is required and usually a nominal processing fee is involved. There is never a reduction in the cruise fare for leaving the ship early this way. Boarding in Seattle and disembarking in Victoria would not violate PVSA,  and I've heard of other cruisers being allowed to do this in Victoria.

Edited by mom says

51 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I have been on sailings where people disembarked in Victoria. Though, they must be prepared if the ship has to skip the port for some reason. It does need to be cleared with Princess before the cruise.

2 hours ago, mom says said:

This is called a downline disembarkation and depends on both the cruiseline and the specific itinerary. Some cruiselines don't allow it at all. Others allow it if it doesn't violate PVSA and is permitted by the receiving country.  Previous permission by the cruiseline is required and usually a nominal processing fee is involved. There is never a reduction in the cruise fare for leaving the ship early this way. Boarding in Seattle and disembarking in Victoria would not violate PVSA,  and I've heard of other cruisers being allowed to do this in Victoria.

That would make sense!  I know that I've read about it here and that there were rules, regulations regarding it.  I just didn't know exactly what they were!

5 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Not true.  I have received permission twice from Princess to depart a ship early and one is coming up next month.  The only maritime law to consider would be the US PVSA and if leaving the ship early would contravene it.  A passenger could still leave the ship, but would be billed the PVSA fine.  This happened earlier this year to a very popular CC Member on the Princess boards who is world famous for her fantastic cruise blogging. 

4 hours ago, katisdale said:

You can get off before the final port. BUT, you need to get approval from Princess so they can work with the port where you wish to leave the ship to set up disembark procedures.

Yes, you need permission from Princess, but I have found it routinely granted twice now in an overseas situation.  It probably helps to not select something weird that might not fly.  In my upcoming situation next month, we are leaving the ship in a different Italian port just before the ship returns to Civitavecchia.

4 hours ago, mom says said:

I wouldn't know if other lines do not allow it, but Princess certainly does.  I have not been charged a processing fee to-date.  With Princess, you can even violate the PVSA, but you must be prepared to pay the fine which Princess will bill you for on stateroom account. 

You are correct - we receive no cruise fare reduction and none is expected. 

ETA:  I should also add that you can get permission from Princess to "jump ship" and rejoin later as well.  I am not sure what they might do with Covid protocols.  The above discussion was about departing a day early for the OP situation after arriving in Victoria, BC.  Next month, we are leaving ship early in Italy.  My previous deviation permission (with Princess it was called a deviation and I have not heard the term "downline" used by them), was to leave mid-cruise to spend extra time in Dubai and then we were flying to catch up to the ship at a future port stop in another country. 

Edited by Steelers36

On 9/15/2022 at 1:04 AM, Taykee1 said:

OK, who KNOWS what next year brings...

BUT if you need one b4 the cruise (current CA rules say you DON'T need one if you take the train in from my understanding...)

onpoint-testing.com can be done virtually from ANYWHERE on your phone, tablet or computer as long as you can connect to wifi or data. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

(Again, things could EASILY change by next year...)

Edited by KKB

19 hours ago, westcoaster said:

A Covid test is not required to enter Canada, regardless of what mode of transportation you are on.  Currently, Canada does require a negative Covid test prior to boarding a cruise ship that leaves from or stops in Canada.  However, there is a good chance that will change by next year, so I wouldn't worry about it now.

Just to clarify we just did a COVID test as we leave USA and stop in Canada. Did I miss your point. Thanks

4 minutes ago, seekatz said:

Just to clarify we just did a COVID test as we leave USA and stop in Canada. Did I miss your point. Thanks

What I was trying to explain is that Covid tests are not required for entry into Canada.  However, a Covid test is required prior to boarding for cruise ships that operate in Canada.  That is two different things.  For example, if you are on a Vancouver to Whittier cruise, you currently still need to take a Covid test prior to boarding, even though you are not entering Canada on that cruise (if you are coming from outside Canada, you would have already entered Canada to get to Vancouver, for which no test is required).  

Incorrectly referring to Canada's Covid test requirement for cruise ships operating in Canada as a requirement for entry into Canada likely led to the OP's confusion around mistakenly thinking they would need a Covid test to enter Canada by train.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:04 PM, Taykee1 said:

... I want to catch the 10.45am train which I know I will have plenty of time to catch...

Looks like the (current) testing regime has been covered - but not this particular snag in your plan... there is no 10:45am train to Vancouver, that's a bus service!

Even if the train schedule returns to 2 per day by next summer, and I certainly hope it does, the trains only run early morning and evening in each direction. The morning train which restarts this month has retained its prior 7:45am slot, so best guess is that the evening train will likewise retain its 7:30pm departure time. Given how far south it comes from, and how many Freight trains it needs to slot carefully between, it's highly unlikely to have a timechange.

Other departure times are all on coaches, including 10:45am - and you're better off booking any other coach company as compared to Amtrak means cheaper fewer stops, or even both! Look very carefully at the website and you'll see that the little icons are slightly different for Train and Thruway Coach - the latter have wing mirrors - but much more easily seen is that trains all have 3 digit numbers but bus services use 4 digits.

Personally I would consider looking into the early disembark in Victora suggested above - it's a great town to have a day or two in, most cruise stops suck in both duration and time of day they're in port, and the main attractions get slammed by cruise pax if a ship is in at a civilized hour. Much quieter without shiploads of other folks - and the trip back to Vancouver has fun options like a whalewatch on the way, a floatplane or chopper ride, as well as the ferries.

Canadian News Bulletin

Arrive Can App will be optional the end of September and also No Vaccination required to enter Canada  .  Most cruise lines only require a covid test if it  is over a certain # of days .

Don't worry about something now that will probably not be required for your future cruise.

• Like 1