Quantum & Ovation Plus - 30 Day Live (hopefully)

Not a great start to our trip home. We got

to the Lihue airport about 3 hours early. Better to sit here than sit in the hotel. Hawaiian Airlines is a mess today. Everything is delayed. Not sure why. Looks like we’re are at least an hour delayed. We originally had 3 hours In HNL to collect our luggage, check in with Delta, and clear security. The 2 flights are separate itineraries. We’re now down to 2 hours. Should still be plenty of time but more stress than I’d like and less (no?) time to relax in the Delta lounge and get some lunch. Gotta love air

travel these days. 

• Like 6

Good luck.  I doubt you will have much of a problem with an hour and a half turn around.  

Interesting you could not check your bags all the way through.  Getting your bags, checking them with Delta, and going through Security is going to eat into that time as well.  You'll be lucky if you get to visit the Delta Sky Lounge. 

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

They just announced another 20 minute delay. Starting to get a little nervous. At least I can track the incoming flight now.  It’s in the air. 

I can imagine how hard it must be to leave heaven on earth.

Hoping for no more delays and safe travels home.

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

They just announced another 20 minute delay. Starting to get a little nervous. At least I can track the incoming flight now.  It’s in the air. 

Safe travels, hoping you make all your connections with time to spare.  Air travel is nit fun at all any more.

• Like 1

Phew. We made it. Got to the gate literally 2 minutes before pre-boarding started. No lounge but we’re happy to have made the flight. 

When you’re in a hurry, every little thing seems to go wrong. Luggage from Hawaiian Airlines took forever. Eventually, 3 of our 4 bags appeared. The fourth was no where to be seen.  Grrrrr. I eventually sent Micheline ahead with 2 bags while I waited. I was able to catch up with her. 

Our other “problem” was that TSA pre check didn’t show up on Micheline’s boarding pass, even though we both have global entry. While waiting in Kauai, I called the Delta Platinum Medallion phone line to see if they could fix that.  Pre-check might have been the difference in making the flight or not. They usually have very helpful people at that number but not this time. She kept asking if her name was spelled wrong on the ticket. Nope. She eventually put me on hold and I stayed on hold until we began boarding and I hung up. Fortunately the agent at the check in counter was able to quickly fix it and re-printer the boarding passes. 

We did miss the lounge. Not a big deal as they’re serving dinner on the plane right away and we’re enjoying a cocktail while waiting for take-off. That’s helping to settle the nerves. 

Next stop, Atlanta. 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Phew. We made it. Got to the gate literally 2 minutes before pre-boarding started. No lounge but we’re happy to have made the flight. 

When you’re in a hurry, every little thing seems to go wrong. Luggage from Hawaiian Airlines took forever. Eventually, 3 of our 4 bags appeared. The fourth was no where to be seen.  Grrrrr. I eventually sent Micheline ahead with 2 bags while I waited. I was able to catch up with her. 

Our other “problem” was that TSA pre check didn’t show up on Micheline’s boarding pass, even though we both have global entry. While waiting in Kauai, I called the Delta Platinum Medallion phone line to see if they could fix that.  Pre-check might have been the difference in making the flight or not. They usually have very helpful people at that number but not this time. She kept asking if her name was spelled wrong on the ticket. Nope. She eventually put me on hold and I stayed on hold until we began boarding and I hung up. Fortunately the agent at the check in counter was able to quickly fix it and re-printer the boarding passes. 

We did miss the lounge. Not a big deal as they’re serving dinner on the plane right away and we’re enjoying a cocktail while waiting for take-off. That’s helping to settle the nerves. 

Next stop, Atlanta. 

Wow.  Totally understand the stress and frustration.   Thankful you made it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Flights are so messed up these days. That was definitely to close for comfort.

Hopefully, you’re completely stress free right now. We left the ship in good shape for you. Have you seen Pixel’s Cabaret yet?  We really liked it but other people, not so much. 

We were a little late leaving HNL, which left us with a 40 minute layover in ATL. Less than I’d like but workable. Of course, we landed in terminal E and depart from terminal A. Got to our A gate and they were already boarding zone 2.  Our Air tags say that our luggage is all in Atlanta but it’s not clear exactly where. Still 18 mins before take off to JAX. Shouldn’t be a problem. 🤞 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Home again, home again, jiggety-jig. Luggage included. 

More to come. I still need to post about our sunset Na Pali Coast cruise and our Waimea Canyon drive. I’ll do so as jet lag allows. 

Glad to hear you made it home safely.  Rest up we will be here when you have the time and energy.

13 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Next stop, Atlanta. 

We just bought these apple devices that can track your luggage, I believe it’s worth the money , you get four for 99 dollars. We also alway carry tsa # , so if boarding pass doesn’t show it they can then add it. We got our first pre take off cocktail since pre Covid and we have been on several flights., Wednesday.

1 hour ago, George C said:

We just bought these apple devices that can track your luggage, I believe it’s worth the money , you get four for 99 dollars. We also alway carry tsa # , so if boarding pass doesn’t show it they can then add it. We got our first pre take off cocktail since pre Covid and we have been on several flights., Wednesday.

The Apple Air Tags were mostly useful, but highly dependent on how close they come into contact with iPhones to report their location.  While waiting in the Jacksonville baggage claim, I checked the status of the tags.  Three of the 4 had updated and were showing as being in Jacksonville.  The 4th hadn't updated in 1.5 hours and was last reported in Atlanta.  All 4 bags showed up in JAX, so that 4th tag must not have passed as close to an iPhone as the other 3.

We had our Global Entry cards with us.  The agent who reprinted Micheline's boarding pass with the pre-check just checked her GE card.  She found that Micheline's birth year was wrong on the booking and therefore didn't match what was on her GE card.  Easy fix.

• Like 2

I want to rewind to our arrival at the Seattle airport.  We got a Lyft to take us to our hotel.  The driver was from Afghanistan and had an interesting background.  For 10 years, he worked for the US military as an interpreter/translator.  He was with forward fighting units who often went after high value targets to get intel. 

He said that the US government relocates people like him and their families to the US once their role is done.  He came to the US, Jacksonville coincidentally, ahead of his family to get things set up.  With the US pullout of Afghanistan, followed by Covid, his family has not been able to leave.  The tried to leave from the Kabul airport last year when it was attacked by the Taliban.  It's been 3 years.  They are currently living in hiding in the country side near the Pakistan border, hoping they can move to the US via Pakistan, since that's not happening now in Afghanistan.  Our driver decided to move to Seattle as the new home for his family, once they're able to leave, and is working many hours as a Lyft driver to make money.  It was a sad and touching story.

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

The Apple Air Tags were mostly useful, but highly dependent on how close they come into contact with iPhones to report their location.  While waiting in the Jacksonville baggage claim, I checked the status of the tags.  Three of the 4 had updated and were showing as being in Jacksonville.  The 4th hadn't updated in 1.5 hours and was last reported in Atlanta.  All 4 bags showed up in JAX, so that 4th tag must not have passed as close to an iPhone as the other 3.

We had our Global Entry cards with us.  The agent who reprinted Micheline's boarding pass with the pre-check just checked her GE card.  She found that Micheline's birth year was wrong on the booking and therefore didn't match what was on her GE card.  Easy fix.

We just finished breakfast in Denver, our waitress was wearing a Denver Von Miller shirt , gave her a very generous tip 😁😁

• Like 1