Anybody on silver moon right now !!!!

Lvshack

20 minutes ago, TheRampantSnail said:

Latest mask wearing..in our bus 2 Brits (us) 2 masks .. 12 Americans 0 masks. This is a fact 

Well, that's sad.  Our 6 weeks on the Moon this past spring unfortunately saw a variety of folks from various countries who refused to wear their masks where they were required, however there were many from those same countries who did comply with the mask rules, including us.  The relaxing of Covid protocols has given people a false sense of security as others on this forum have pointed out.     

Edited by CruzinFeraBruzin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheRampantSnail said:

Food and service is excellent in all venues. Plenty of alternative wines available in all venues. No need to put up with anything you don't like. 

Latest mask wearing..in our bus 2 Brits (us) 2 masks .. 12 Americans 0 masks. This is a fact 

Not surprised, this is what happened on our segments of the WC in Feb/Mar.

• Like 1

Just booked a 2nd Silversea cruise yesterday (Norway!), so as I harvest a few depleted stock investments to cover the fare, all these comments are valued.  I do have to ask regarding menus being rarely or infrequently changed.  Am I correct that these repeating menus offer multiple choices for one's meal?  That there should be no fear that one must ever repeat a lunch or dinner?

13 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Am I correct that these repeating menus offer multiple choices for one's meal?  That there should be no fear that one must ever repeat a lunch or dinner?

I think the longer you are on the ship, the more tiresome the menus become.  We found there are sufficient selections in all the restaurants, but not all of them change their menus during the voyage.  The Salt restaurant changes part of their menu daily (Beaujolais commented on this earlier in the thread) and Atlantide has a Chef's menu that also changes.  It's my understanding you can also order something that's not on the menu and the kitchen will fix it for you.  Not sure how much advance notice you need to provide to them.

Edited by CruzinFeraBruzin

1 hour ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

I think the longer you are on the ship, the more tiresome the menus become.  We found there are sufficient selections in all the restaurants, but not all of them change their menus during the voyage.  The Salt restaurant changes part of their menu daily (Beaujolais commented on this earlier in the thread) and Atlantide has a Chef's menu that also changes.  It's my understanding you can also order something that's not on the menu and the kitchen will fix it for you.  Not sure how much advance notice you need to provide to them.

Normally 24 hours will suffice.

• Thanks 2

We are going to test out whether we find the menus boring in March 23 when we are on the Moon for 54 days. i expect we won't have a problem as both SALT and Atlantide had a daily menu as well as the everyday menu. As well on the second segment of our recent cruise the everyday menu in Atlantide had a few changes.

On top of that there are dishes I eat more than once even on a short cruise. on the first segment of 9 days I had the prime rib twice as it was fantastic. was told they had changed the source of their beef to Texas. Was fine by me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, drron29 said:

We are going to test out whether we find the menus boring in March 23 when we are on the Moon for 54 days. i expect we won't have a problem as both SALT and Atlantide had a daily menu as well as the everyday menu. As well on the second segment of our recent cruise the everyday menu in Atlantide had a few changes.

On top of that there are dishes I eat more than once even on a short cruise. on the first segment of 9 days I had the prime rib twice as it was fantastic. was told they had changed the source of their beef to Texas. Was fine by me.

Our favorite was the filet at The Grille that allowed us to cook it on a hot stone just the way we liked.  We ate there numerous times.  While we were hoping they would introduce more new offerings on the menus during the changeover, we certainly didn't go hungry.  Our next cruise is on the Dawn in 2023 for 38 days and we expect it will be the same.  drron29, we hope to visit your beautiful country in late 2024 early 2025.  Silversea has some great itineraries planned on the Nova.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 11:18 PM, TheRampantSnail said:

Food and service is excellent in all venues. Plenty of alternative wines available in all venues. No need to put up with anything you don't like. 

In a couple of venues I tasted all their included white wines and they were just not even good.  I made sure to mention on the cruise survey.

Masking on busses seems to be better when the tour guide reminds the group.  We’ve had to ask some guides to do that.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 5:40 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

In a couple of venues I tasted all their included white wines and they were just not even good.  I made sure to mention on the cruise survey.

Masking on busses seems to be better when the tour guide reminds the group.  We’ve had to ask some guides to do that.

I'm sorry but your wine experience is strange.

I really haven't struck many bad wines on SS. Some of the included wines are excellent. on this last cruise a Sancerre and a Chilean Carmenere wine were very good.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’ve had it several times and it is superb. 

Ok, I now admit to being confused. The only Sancerre that I have come across on any of the SS ships recently is the Pascal Jolivet Sancerre Cuvee Sauvage which is a snip at about $55 from the Connoisseur’s List.

There has been a very drinkable Pouilly Fume available from the complimentary list if you knew to ask for it as an alternative to the NZ SB or other SB from France or Chile.

Perhaps @Gourmet Galcould ask if there really is a complimentary Sancerre available on the Moon now.

Edited by Silver Spectre

On 9/30/2022 at 5:13 PM, TheRampantSnail said:

On the Moon now, 6days in. I have to say everything is great. Food and service in all restaurants and bars is great. Mask wearing in buses and tenders is not enforced. Most comply but there is a significant minority who don't.

just got off the Moon. we were careful about our masks but agree that others on tenders and buses were not. after almost 3 years COVID free, we just tested positive for our first COVID last night. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hsheffield said:

just got off the Moon. we were careful about our masks but agree that others on tenders and buses were not. after almost 3 years COVID free, we just tested positive for our first COVID last night. 

So sorry to hear that, get well soon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Ugh!  I hate to read this.  We’re still virgins here, but haven’t been on a ship, bus, etc.

the good news is that we're double boosted and our illness isn't terrible. mild fever/chills and rhinitis. 

and our bags finally showed up 2 days later no worse for wear!  SS Air gave us a 1 hr 5 min connection in Frankfurt that we knew was too tight. Tried hard to get it changed to no avail. Super stressful time in Frankfurt airport but we (not our bags) made the connection just in time. 

Would strongly recommend no one accept anything less than a 2 hour layover in Frankfurt. With all the buses (from terminal to plane) and passport control with limited staff, even 2 hours is optimistic. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hsheffield said:

the good news is that we're double boosted and our illness isn't terrible. mild fever/chills and rhinitis. 

and our bags finally showed up 2 days later no worse for wear!  SS Air gave us a 1 hr 5 min connection in Frankfurt that we knew was too tight. Tried hard to get it changed to no avail. Super stressful time in Frankfurt airport but we (not our bags) made the connection just in time. 

Would strongly recommend no one accept anything less than a 2 hour layover in Frankfurt. With all the buses (from terminal to plane) and passport control with limited staff, even 2 hours is optimistic. 

Frankfurt has always been difficult, and is a real mess since late spring, so even two hours for a connection for both bodies and luggage to get through  is pushing it, depending on where you are coming from/going to.  
They are very short staff, and many of the staff they have ( security, information, rebooking missed flight lines, etc.) are less than ideal ( and often speak neither German nor English very well), and go on sick leave a lot.

There are, of course, worse airports.

One nice thing about FRA is that there is both a decent Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn, right in the airport ( you can just wheel luggage to them, no cab or shuttle needed ), and there is an easy and quick train connection into town for fun and restaurants. Depending on work/hurry/cost tolerance  etc., stress can be reduced by just checking in for a leisurely night and flying outbound  the next day.

A 1 hr and 5 min connection set-up from SS Air these days is simply insulting to one's intelligence, and that added stress is not a luxury experience.  

• Like 1

For our March cruise next year we are transiting FRA on our way to Lisbon. As we do our own air we are spending a night in the HGI.

And we are flying business class and paying due to Singapore airlines changing planes on us so losing our awards in First class. Now on paid Emirates flights which cost less than SS airs upgrade to business class. Plus we got ~ $A2000 back for not taking the air component. Win win for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1