Game Rooms on Princess

Travelthoman

I hope I am doing this right on this site, as I am not an expert.....but here is our dilemma     We booked a Hawaii cruise out of San Pedro for Feb on The Crown, after being told by a destination manager on the Royal, they had a Library and Game room on board.  So we booked and I then researched that ship and it is in the same class as the Royal.   We did not want the bigger ships, and in fact it now looks like they do not have a game room.   Anyone been on the Crown?   Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Travelthoman said:

I hope I am doing this right on this site, as I am not an expert.....but here is our dilemma     We booked a Hawaii cruise out of San Pedro for Feb on The Crown, after being told by a destination manager on the Royal, they had a Library and Game room on board.  So we booked and I then researched that ship and it is in the same class as the Royal.   We did not want the bigger ships, and in fact it now looks like they do not have a game room.   Anyone been on the Crown?   Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

The Crown is not in the same class as the Royal. The easiest way to tell is that the Crown has a promenade deck like the Grand, Sapphire, Emerald etc. The Royal class has no outside promenade, just two short sections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adagio is a good place. It's very quiet during the day as the bar doesn't open until later. It's often used by people playing cards, for Knitters and Natters meetings, etc. It's a nice spot for reading and there is a door to a bit of outside deck as well.

• Like 1

If your primary concern is the game room, I'll add to what Thrak says.  There will be a lot of places to set and enjoy the game of your choice throughout the day and evening.   

Size-wize, the Crown will have about 1,000 fewer passengers than the Royal.  

The Princess Grand Class, which include the Crown, are among my favorite cruise ships.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Travelthoman said:

Thanks

AFAIK, the only ships left in the fleet that have games area are Coral and Island.  I am not familiar with Diamond and Sapphire, but their Library space looks large enough on the deck plan to include a couple of tables for that purpose.  Part of the forward section of Majestic (Hollywood Conservatory) has tables that can be used for games. 

Otherwise, I'd look for public spaces not used during the day such as CG on some ships, or even mid-ship DR's.  For example, when they schedule time for Bridge play and Mahjong, it is in one of the DR's like Deck 5 mid-ship that doesn't have lunch service.

• Like 1

Not much help to the OP, but I could swear there used to be a game room on the Crown during one of our previous cruises (that being some years ago).  Seems it was by the Wheelhouse Bar.  Or, maybe they designated an area for card and board games during a certain time of the day.  IDK, just as likely my memory is faulty.    

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

I think a “game room” is a video arcade environment for kids. I don’t think it is a space for people to put together jigsaw puzzles or play Monopoly.

Many people want to play cards or Mahjong. They may want to play Scrabble. I can understand thinking that "game room" refers to video gaming but that's not really something that even remotely fits the Princess profile (unless one considers Video Poker or Slot Machine - which I don't believe relates to the original question).

2 hours ago, chrysalis said:

I have always thought of it as a "game room" because that is where they stored various board games and such.

Yes, that is true and a good point for folks new to Princess.  Thinking back, we may have used the table in the Library once on Ruby or a sister, for example, but the table in that room is one long football-shaped table IIRC and not very conducive to much game play (depending on numbers).  On Island and Coral, the games area on Deck 8 is specifically designed for the purpose with a number of square tables holding up to four players.  For larger group play, the Bayou restaurant was often used on our long voyage.

• Like 1

To the poster. Have spent months on board the Crown. The Crown is not a Royal Class ship. It is an older, 2006, Grand Class ship with approx. 3,100 passengers, and an entirely different deck plan from the Royal Class ships. I am assuming by game room you are thinking about cards or some other game. I am also assuming that you and a few friends (3 others) are getting together to play some cards and not setting up large games with many tables. If you are trying to set up large games then you will have to speak with the CD once on board. The Crown and all other Grand and Royal Class ships do not have a dedicated card room.  On the Crown many locations are used by those wishing to play cards.

Many times a section of the Crown Grill is set aside during certain hours of the day for cards and other games. Watch the Patter for details.

A large, wide, long table in the library on deck 7 port side just behind the Wheelhouse Bar. I have seen puzzles set up on this table.

The Conference Center forward on deck 6 when not in use. Might be locked. 

Adagio Lounge, deck 16 aft starboard side, coffee tables only. Bar closed during the day.

Skywalker's Nightclub deck 18 all the way aft. Low tables only, Great views. May have a smoking area.

Tables around both the Calypso and Neptune's Reef pools on the Lido deck. Many of these tables are used for buffet or grill and pizza dining. Busy area, nice views, food & drink close by.

Tables in the Wheelhouse Bar. Many hours it is filled with activities such as uke instruction, trivia, spa lectures, knitters circle, veterans get togethers, etc.  Both high bar tables and coffee tables.

Tables in Explorer's Lounge. Usually day time activities such as trivia. The forward right hand section is usually not occupied for these activities, but you will hear them.

Club Fusion, deck 7 aft. Many activities such as, trivia, Zumba, hula, bingo, line & ballroom dancing. Tables all the way in the back usually empty, but you will hear the activity.

Chairs along the windows just outside Explorer's Lounge. Low table in between. In the walkway.

There are no hosted games, such as hosted bridge, on Princess ships.

Where people gather to play games varies cruise to cruise. You can never tell in advance where people will wind up.

The deck plans on the Princess site will show all these areas. Go to Princess.com, then On Board our Ships then select deck plans and your ship. 

Edited by skynight
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Thrak said:

Adagio is a good place. It's very quiet during the day as the bar doesn't open until later. It's often used by people playing cards, for Knitters and Natters meetings, etc. It's a nice spot for reading and there is a door to a bit of outside deck as well.

Adagio is one of my favorite places on any of the cruise ships!

22 hours ago, Travelthoman said:

Thanks

On the Crown I have seen them use one of the MDRs for games.  It may be the Botticelli dining room but don't quote me on that.  They will bring all the games and sets of cards, etc to the dining room.  We have even done a M&G in the dining room. 
It should be listed on the Patter.
it is not a Royal class ship.

On 9/25/2022 at 6:20 AM, skynight said:

To the poster. Have spent months on board the Crown. The Crown is not a Royal Class ship. It is an older, 2006, Grand Class ship with approx. 3,100 passengers, and an entirely different deck plan from the Royal Class ships. I am assuming by game room you are thinking about cards or some other game. I am also assuming that you and a few friends (3 others) are getting together to play some cards and not setting up large games with many tables. If you are trying to set up large games then you will have to speak with the CD once on board. The Crown and all other Grand and Royal Class ships do not have a dedicated card room.  On the Crown many locations are used by those wishing to play cards.

Many times a section of the Crown Grill is set aside during certain hours of the day for cards and other games. Watch the Patter for details.

A large, wide, long table in the library on deck 7 port side just behind the Wheelhouse Bar. I have seen puzzles set up on this table.

The Conference Center forward on deck 6 when not in use. Might be locked. 

Adagio Lounge, deck 16 aft starboard side, coffee tables only. Bar closed during the day.

Skywalker's Nightclub deck 18 all the way aft. Low tables only, Great views. May have a smoking area.

Tables around both the Calypso and Neptune's Reef pools on the Lido deck. Many of these tables are used for buffet or grill and pizza dining. Busy area, nice views, food & drink close by.

Tables in the Wheelhouse Bar. Many hours it is filled with activities such as uke instruction, trivia, spa lectures, knitters circle, veterans get togethers, etc.  Both high bar tables and coffee tables.

Tables in Explorer's Lounge. Usually day time activities such as trivia. The forward right hand section is usually not occupied for these activities, but you will hear them.

Club Fusion, deck 7 aft. Many activities such as, trivia, Zumba, hula, bingo, line & ballroom dancing. Tables all the way in the back usually empty, but you will hear the activity.

Chairs along the windows just outside Explorer's Lounge. Low table in between. In the walkway.

There are no hosted games, such as hosted bridge, on Princess ships.

Where people gather to play games varies cruise to cruise. You can never tell in advance where people will wind up.

The deck plans on the Princess site will show all these areas. Go to Princess.com, then On Board our Ships then select deck plans and your ship. 

thanks.   Looks like Adagio is the best bet to play mahjong.   Is there a site or somewhere you may know to go and post that I will be on board and would like to play.   Otherwise, I have left a note in the library on the table with my info if anyone is interested.    

3 hours ago, Travelthoman said:

thanks.   Looks like Adagio is the best bet to play mahjong.   Is there a site or somewhere you may know to go and post that I will be on board and would like to play.   Otherwise, I have left a note in the library on the table with my info if anyone is interested.    

Mention on the cruise critic roll call site. Princess probably will not mention private games in the daily patter. For pick up games of mahjong watch the Patter for times and locations of unhosted games. These will probably be in either the Crown Grill or one of the DRs. 

On 9/25/2022 at 6:20 AM, skynight said:

To OP, see this post from Skynight above.  Pretty much covers it excellently.  On a recent voyage I used the wheelhouse to actually do work because of the high top tables provided more room to spreadout a laptop and notebook (more than the desk in my cabin) and was pretty quiet until about 1pm.

Skywalkers and Adagio were going to be my second choice but there weren't many tables that were at "desk" height and many had a fixed lamp in the middle.  Chairs were not conducive to sitting upright.

Final place would be Cafe Caribe, aft of the Horizon Court.  It wasn't used at all on my voyage other than a few of us eating in there.  Plenty of large, flat tables and nice views.

20 hours ago, Travelthoman said:

17 hours ago, skynight said:

Mention on the cruise critic roll call site. Princess probably will not mention private games in the daily patter. For pick up games of mahjong watch the Patter for times and locations of unhosted games. These will probably be in either the Crown Grill or one of the DRs. 

Your Roll Call is below