Aqua Class Worth it on Summit plus question about Blu

NJRonbo

Started another thread as a first-time Celebrity cruiser.  

Looking to sail on the Summit possibly at the end of June as it's at a cheaper price.

Considering the upcharge to Aqua Class.  

There are a few things I like about it including the fact that it seems all the amenities including drink packages, Multiple Device Wifi and gratuities are included. 

Deck 9 and 11 balconies are supposed to be very, very nice. Not sure I am going to spend the xtra money for deck 11.  May stay with 9.

Also like the fact that we get our own private restaurant, Blu.  I noticed there was no EARLY DINING option available at booking for the main dining room and that it's already sold out, and has me worried that if we want to eat early, we may be waiting on a line.  

I'm not really into healthier food which I know what Blu is all about.  

So, my question is, do they offer main dining room menus in Blu as well?  I thought I read somewhere that they do.  It would be a win-win if I could enjoy the main dining room menu in a less crowded restaurant such as Blu.

Thanks for the help.  Hopefully AquaClass is worth it. 

Edited by NJRonbo

Blu is not necessarily all about "healthy food." I think it is upgraded food from MDR, but not necessarily any healthier. I think you will enjoy the atmosphere and service in Blu. One problem we have encountered on the Summit while in Aqua Class is that Blu sometimes fills up by 6:30-6:45 p.m.  Because it is a relatively small dining room, if you arrive after that they are full with guests who arrive earlier so you may have a 30 minute wait for tables to turn over so you can be seated. We have dined in Blu in all 3 classes of Celebrity ships and this happened to us repeatedly on M class ships (eg. Summit). Happened only once on Edge and has never happened to us on an S Class ship and we have dined in Blu on Reflection, Eclipse and Solstice. And yes, you should be able to order off of the Main Dining Room menu on an M class ship.

• Like 1

We were on Summit this past July.  You can order off the MDR menu if there is nothing on the Blu menu that fits your fancy.  One night we ordered off the Blu kids menu (It was only on the app) -- they had a 4oz filet which was outstanding.  It was plenty of food for us.  If you have a big appetite, order two of them.  😃

• Like 1

Blu has some healthy options but the menu isn’t limited to just healthy items.  The short ribs and grilled ribeye are among our favorites. I believe Blu opens at 5:30 or 5:45 so if you go around then you should be fine.  We have been able to order from the MDR menu in Blu on the Summit but rarely found a need to. 

Aqua cabins on Deck 9 are under parts of the pool area and the Oceanview so do some research before choosing.

Deck 9 , imo, is far superior to deck 11. The primary difference is that there is a partial overhang over the balcony on deck 9. That's so much better, especially if raining OR the weather is hot.  The shade then is very welcome. We always opt for deck 9. Also, the fact it is beneath the pool is NOT a problem. There is no noise from above and I am a light sleeper). 

• Like 2

Have done AQ on Summit and found it disappointing.  First, we didn't use the persian garden- used it one day for about 1 hour.  We also didn't appreciate any of the alleged bonuses in the stateroom.  We had the smelly atomizer removed immediately.   

In blu, not necessarily healthy, tables for two really one long table,  as a bunch of little tables are on top of each other , so not private- We also like to dine early and had a long line to enter the restaurant .

If we do not do a sky suite, and want a good location and extra points, we book a CC cabin and take a specialty dining package.  

You should know that if you choose Aqua as an option, you do not have an assigned space in the main dining room. If you should wish to eat there on occasion, clear it with the Blu Maitre D first.  It may appear on the website that you can book tables in the main dining room but that is an artifact of an earlier booking system and in fact, you can’t.  Blu is all first come first served and you can’t make reservations there so if you want to eat early, go as soon as it opens.

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

You should know that if you choose Aqua as an option, you do not have an assigned space in the main dining room. If you should wish to eat there on occasion, clear it with the Blu Maitre D first.  It may appear on the website that you can book tables in the main dining room but that is an artifact of an earlier booking system and in fact, you can’t.  Blu is all first come first served and you can’t make reservations there so if you want to eat early, go as soon as it opens.

Thank you.

Question about dining in the Main Dining Room...

Looked at several dates in July and August for the Summit and you cannot specifically choose Early Dining.  I am assuming that means it is sold out and waiting list only.

If I pick ANYTIME DINING what kind of issues am I going to run into as far as lines are concerned should I go to the dining room when it opens for dinner?

If you want to eat early on Select Dining just be there when it opens and you should have no issues.

In a different post you mentioned that you are looking at booking aqua class. If you do that, you do not have a table in the main dining room, your dining room will be blu, which is all open seating.  The app and website make it look like you can choose dining options (Select, Early, Late) in blue but you can’t.  Blu is all open seating with no reservations so if you want to eat early, you just show up early.

Edited by cruisestitch

12 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Deck 9 , imo, is far superior to deck 11. The primary difference is that there is a partial overhang over the balcony on deck 9. That's so much better, especially if raining OR the weather is hot.  The shade then is very welcome. We always opt for deck 9. Also, the fact it is beneath the pool is NOT a problem. There is no noise from above and I am a light sleeper). 

And that's what I love about cruising.  There are different things for different people.  I look at those Deck 9 cabins and would never want to be there with such a large overhang.  I'm glad you enjoy them.  

I am not a huge fan of the Persian Garden either so Blu is my main reason for choosing this category.  On non-revolutionized ships, I would rather be in Agua class than Retreat.

I am currently in a deck 9 cabin on Summit and I disagree strongly that there is no noise. The thumping and jogging type noises start around 6 am and last all day sometimes into the night. When the band plays, in the cabin you hear thump thump thump until they stop. We are a few cabins fore of the elevators.  I recommend booking further aft.  I like deck 11 except on warm weather (Caribbean) cruises as without a cover the sun beats down and it can be sweltering on the balcony.  

• Like 1

I absolutely love the Deck 11 location too - awesome to pop down to the sunset bar via the special stairs by those cabins, or right into the Oceanview. Great quiet loungers nearby. But, I enjoy the sun. 

Believe you'd have no issue going to the MDR if you like, and on M-class all 3 restaurants share the same galley so it's very easy to order cross-menu. 

• Like 2

We usually book AQ on the Solstice if the price is right. We enjoy a quieter deck. Usually we book aft deck 11. We do enjoy the smaller size dining room of the Blu. We normally arrive between 5:30-6 and it’s very busy, but has available seating. We did receive a cabin note asking Blu patrons if they would consider coming later around 8. We love breakfast in the Blu. It’s very uncrowded and relaxing. It’s never been a problem asking  for items not on the Blu menu. The service is always excellent! Wish we could afford traveling AQ all the time. Now they bundle drinks;wi fi, tips in the price. 

We were on the Summit for 24 days on a B2B in August. A couple thoughts.

First, if you can book your cruise on any M-Class ship when the itinerary you want first gets released, book AQ cabin 1140, as it goes fast! It has a huge partially covered aft-facing balcony with awesome views!! It also has an easy "back door" access to the Sunset Bar one floor down and the buffet one floor up. In fact, we used to pop up to the buffet for lunch (as Blu is closed) and then bring it back down to the cabin to eat on our very private balcony. Did I mention it also has a walk-in shower!

As far as dining in Blu, we like to eat early, so we were always there when it first opened at 5 pm. On our first day, we talked with the maitre d' and picked the most out-of-the way table, which was table 20. Here's how they usually fill the 2-tops. First, the window row. Then, the row next to the window row followed by the row next to it. Table 20 is on the 4th row in the back by the server entrance. By the time we finished eating around 6:15, the tables near us on row 3 were just starting to fill up. Did I mention we enjoy eating by ourselves. My point being if you come when they first open, you will always get the table you want in the section with the same servers you will wind up developing a bond with over the length of your cruise.

Just remember, folks that go to the 7 pm show in the theater before they eat will be heading directly to Blu afterwards (around 7:45). Also, those folks that like to go to the late 9 pm show will be heading to Blu beforehand, usually between 6:30 - 7 pm, depending on whether or not they first chose to have a pre-dinner cocktail in a nearby lounge. So, as you can see, dining in Blu between 6:30 - 8 can tend to get a little crowded. 

On 9/29/2022 at 8:44 AM, cruisestitch said:

Not true. I have sailed on the Summit twice annually for many years. You can make reservations in Blu by speaking to the maitre'd. Also, we tend to eat 6:30-7ish and have never had to wait.  While there is no assigned dining table in the MDR, if you wish to eat there just go when you like to the anytime entrance (deck 5).  You don't have to tell Blu in advance, although if you told them to expect you then it would be considerate.

While the 2-tops are indeed close, not so much as to be really uncomfortable. It gives you an opportunity to chat with your neighbor, but if choose not to it is not uncomfortable. I much prefer the smaller venue, service, and food in Blu. While not always spa food (which I would dislike), it is well reprepared without gloppy gravy and sauces.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 6:02 PM, phoenix_dream said:

I am currently in a deck 9 cabin on Summit and I disagree strongly that there is no noise. The thumping and jogging type noises start around 6 am and last all day sometimes into the night. When the band plays, in the cabin you hear thump thump thump until they stop. We are a few cabins fore of the elevators.  I recommend booking further aft.  I like deck 11 except on warm weather (Caribbean) cruises as without a cover the sun beats down and it can be sweltering on the balcony.  

Cabin 9131 is quiet

8 minutes ago, Linsie said:

Cabin 9131 is quiet

Good to hear.  We picked 9125 as it "should" have the shortest amount of overhang of all the other cabins around it.  Cabin 9131 is a few doors down so it's good to know that it's a quiet area.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:41 PM, NJRonbo said:

Started another thread as a first-time Celebrity cruiser.  

Looking to sail on the Summit possibly at the end of June as it's at a cheaper price.

Considering the upcharge to Aqua Class.  

There are a few things I like about it including the fact that it seems all the amenities including drink packages, Multiple Device Wifi and gratuities are included. 

You can get drinks, WiFi and gratuities in any class by booking All Included.

I am elite plus.  On one cruise, we were complimentary upgraded to aqua class deck 11.  We had never booked aqua class previously.  Usually book concierge on Summit.  Ok, a complimentary chance to try aqua.  Deck 11 cabins are noisy and vibrate. Often we could smell food from the buffet which was under us. The veranda is tiny and uncovered. It rained and flooded the veranda. Aqua class cabin got one bottle of water and a smelly twig in water.   To get to the pool, had to pass through the buffet area.  Not a buffet fan.  Also we weren’t allowed in the MDR.  That included missing the concierge embarkation lunch. Blu was ok for breakfast.  For dinner, we often asked for MDR items.  Having tried aqua class, we knew that it wasn’t for us.  

35 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I am elite plus.  On one cruise, we were complimentary upgraded to aqua class deck 11.  We had never booked aqua class previously.  Usually book concierge on Summit.  Ok, a complimentary chance to try aqua.  Deck 11 cabins are noisy and vibrate. Often we could smell food from the buffet which was under us. The veranda is tiny and uncovered. It rained and flooded the veranda. Aqua class cabin got one bottle of water and a smelly twig in water.   To get to the pool, had to pass through the buffet area.  Not a buffet fan.  Also we weren’t allowed in the MDR.  That included missing the concierge embarkation lunch. Blu was ok for breakfast.  For dinner, we often asked for MDR items.  Having tried aqua class, we knew that it wasn’t for us.  

Certainly is not for everyone.  Have never been told we could not eat in the MDR.  You sound unhappy about missing the Concierge lunch, but knew that when you accepted the upgrade.

7 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Certainly is not for everyone.  Have never been told we could not eat in the MDR.  You sound unhappy about missing the Concierge lunch, but knew that when you accepted the upgrade.

Actually it didn’t seem like an upgrade.  It seemed like a way to fill the cabins in the most undesirable locations.  Deck 11 is a bad location.  Original deck 11 didn’t have cabins.  Anywhere cabins were added later is not a great location. Many of the deck 9 cabins get noise from above. Deck 10 has the buffet, pool, spa, etc.  my choice is deck 8.  After trying aqua class, we decided it wasn’t for us.  I know people who were comped aqua and loved it.   Different strokes for different folks. 

I understand Blu was originally intended to be healthier “Spa Cuisine” but that didn’t go so well and now it’s intended to be a more “sophisticated” menu than MDR and better and more personalized service. 
What I loved the most about Blu were the breakfasts in a nice relaxing setting with good food and great service. 

23 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Couldn’t disagree with you more about the cabins on 11, with one exception. On very hot weather cruises no overhang can make the balcony too hot. Never had any problems with noise of any kind or vibration. Never smelled buffet food. Love the location as it is right by the rear elevators and a quick walk down to the buffet.  We have sailed there several times and wouldn’t hesitate to do so again. Our cabins have always been on the side near the elevators.  You can order off the MDR menu in Blu on M class ships so no need to go there (although you certainly can, just ask the Blu mattress d for a reservation). You are certainly welcome to your opinion but just wanted to put my very different view out there as well.