What Item Do You Bring That Is Essential?

LindaD22

What do you really think is crucial to bring to help you look your best on a cruise?

An article of clothing?

Accessory?

Fabric care item?

Laundry detergent? 
Hair care? 

We are retired at age 61 and 56 and plan to do a lot more traveling and especially cruising. My goal is to bring just a carry on and personal bag (weekender), no matter the length or type of trip. So I’ve been thinking about what is essential and deserves the room in my luggage. I would be really interested to hear what experienced travelers/cruisers feel that they absolutely need to bring. 

• Like 1

Hi Linda!

Great question. First of all, I want to tell you, you can do it! We have travelled (cruise and land) all around the world with carry-on plus "personal item". We even made a trip home from Copenhagen on Norwegian Air which may have the strictest weight requirements of any airline! 

My first major carry-on only cruise was a 26-day transAtlantic with HAL. I did all our laundry by hand with quarter-sheets of Wash-EZE (find on Amazon). I no longer carry these! I now trust the ship's laundry (HAL will even AIR DRY! it just takes an extra day to get back to you) and use the bodywash-shampoo for any smalls I do handwash. 

From your list, I would pick "accessory" and "hair-care". I generally bring 3-4 pair reading glasses and coordinating peeper-keepers that my sister has strung the beads for... often with matching earrings. That is my signature, and I would say: whatever is your signature deserves to come!

As far as haircare, I have to bring my own shampoo(s) due to seborrhea. I have to rotate my shampoo every 10 days to 2 weeks! However, here is my trick for that:

If you are going to fly to port, you are familiar with the 3-1-1 bag. NOTHING goes in that bag that isn't a liquid or gel. Toothpaste but not the toothbrush, etc. Make up a wet-bag and a dry bag. The 3oz is a limit and not a requirement! Get some go-toobs or the other brand, in 1oz and/or 2oz. And some even smaller tubs...

My hair does actually look like my avatar's (only grayer). So it takes very little shampoo, every-other day. I believe I could go two months with 1oz each of 3 shampoos! But surely no more than 2oz. Buy a 3oz "travel" bottle of your own shampoo and see how long it lasts you at home.

Reef-safe (inorganic) sunscreen is the stickler here, and I suspect I would be shopping near the port for a larger container for our tropical cruise, if we weren't driving to port. 

Enjoy your retirement!  -- Elizabeth  AKA  crystalspin

• Like 2

Looking over this last week on a cruise ship, I'd say the most important non-obvious thing to pack is a tiny flashlight.  I've carried one for years, but didn't really think about it until this thread came up.  Seems like we use it for something every other day. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

Looking over this last week on a cruise ship, I'd say the most important non-obvious thing to pack is a tiny flashlight.  I've carried one for years, but didn't really think about it until this thread came up.  Seems like we use it for something every other day. 

I wouldn’t have thought to bring a mini flashlight but that’s a great idea. I love all the suggestions!

18 hours ago, LindaD22 said:

My goal is to bring just a carry on and personal bag (weekender), no matter the length or type of trip.

This isn't hard at all!  We just returned from a cruise, and I brought just enough -- here's what I brought (inclusive of what I wore on the ship).  Often I wore this-or-that for half a day, and I hung it up afterward -- nothing needed washing during the 8 days.  I was 100% happy with what I brought, so I made a note of it for next time. (though I probably will bring an extra swimsuit because we'll have a more port-heavy schedule next time).

- 3 casual dresses

- 1 pair white jeans & 3 pairs shorts 

- 2 dinner blouses &  4 daytime tops 

- 1 chambray shirt that also worked as a light jacket 

- 2 swimsuits w/ cover-ups 

- 1 workout outfit 

- 1 nightgown 

- Walking sandals, tennis shoes, wedges, water shoes 

Shoes really are the biggest problem -- they take up almost as much space as ALL my clothes!  

I brought one simple diamond pendant necklace and wore simple silver/gold hoop earrings all week.  

10 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I've gotten good at the 'ensembles' part, all black & beige with one color. 

No need to pare down to one plain color.  Things can match without being all the same; for example, I brought one pair of orange-print shorts that matched a white blouse, a dark blue tank top, and a denim blouse.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It would be hard to narrow down to just one "essential" item, but some items that I have found to be indispensable when cruising with minimal packing over the years. (Note, my cruises are mostly NOT Caribbean):

Black silk pants -- these can be used almost any night (every night in a pinch) for either dressy or more casual evenings depending what you pair with them. Takes up almost no space and wrinkles fall out when hung and placed in a steamy bathroom.  I think I am on my third pair of Eileen Fisher ones.

Excellent walking shoes -- broken in but still new enough to not be "broken down".  I usually wear on the plane as they do take up room. Happily shoes now are much lighter than they once were but beware of walking shoes that are too light: they might have cushioning but perhaps not good support when you're doing lots of walking in different environments.

A good cross-body bag -- I like Kipling but there are many. Needs to be big enough but not too big, and as light as possible. Water resistant is good. And must have a COMFORTABLE strap. I've got a favorite bag in two different colors (I only bring one, depends on the main colors in my clothing palette) and I know just where everything goes inside.

My Kindle -- allows me to bring a wide variety of books that I want to read (meaning I'm not at the mercy of the ship's library offerings....) as well as various guidebooks I can use when touring.

The other big "essential" I bring is being willing to "make do" without bringing everything from home. Yes, the ship blow dryers aren't ideal but I can make do. Same with most toiletries (though i do bring my own conditioner -- only use a small amount).  No pop-up hamper, no over-the-door toiletry bag, all those space-takers in your bag I can mostly do without.

• Like 5

I would probably give up a laundry hamper (Use a drawer instead) if I wasn't travelling with family, but we still need it for now.  I do pack something to use as a night light, whether it's a puck light from Dollar Tree or something that plugs in the wall.  That way I don't have to fumble for a flash light in the dark.

• Like 1

One other thing I never travel without: a recycled plastic bag from LOQI -- they fold down tiny. I keep one tucked in my cross-body bag when touring in case I run across a market, or when staying in a city to avoid paying for grocery bags in stores. There are cheaper options, but I love their styles.

https://loqi.com/

• Like 5

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The other big "essential" I bring is being willing to "make do" without bringing everything from home. Yes, the ship blow dryers aren't ideal but I can make do. Same with most toiletries (though i do bring my own conditioner -- only use a small amount).  No pop-up hamper, no over-the-door toiletry bag, all those space-takers in your bag I can mostly do without.

I love this attitude so much! 

• Thanks 1

For the sake of appearances I bring hair oil which only requires a small amount and usually under 2 ounce packets of deep conditioning hair masque and facial moisturizer and oil. I find the ship water dries my hair and skin.   

I bring simple clothing and add jewelry and scarves to dress them up. I try to keep all of my clothes non-patterned fabrics in basic colors depending on destination and season.  I have a black, gray, pink, red beige set; a khaki, black, green, white set and so on.

I bring very few gadgets, if any, and none of those clever items you read about in all of those travel hack articles which are simply thinly disguised affiliate Amazon shopping lists.  

Unless the cruise is over 2 weeks I do not bring “evening shoes”. I simply use ship services to keep my leather walking shoes in tip top condition. 

Besides the obvious Medical and hygienic items if the cruise is over two weeks I bring a bar of soap.  I find my home brand makes me feel more socially confident that I am fresh.  

Currently my only extravagance is my jewelry, contrary to good advice, and it is left behind if travel includes land travel and lots of transferring 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Do you have a specific recommendation?  That sounds perfect 

Eileen Fisher is my go-to for these. Expensive, but I buy them when they are on sale. I've also seen them on e-bay (new) at a good price.  The style I like best is called "slouchy" -- they are loose fitting but not baggy and come to the ankle on me. The fit is generous so I usually size down one size.  

This year EF has added a wider leg version, which is "in" right now. The slouchy style I have been wearing for probably 10 years or more.

• Like 1

My essential, hmm. Small roll of duct tape (only one cruise in over 30 didn’t use it or give it away).  Extra week of prescription meds. I do bring my own (2 oz travel size) shampoo & conditioner & dry freeze hair spray. I line my suitcase with a cinch type kitchen can trash bag, keeps everything dry (in case of rain) on way to cruise & doubles as a dirty laundry bag going home. I normally do a color palate of black, white & either cobalt blue or hot pink. Everything goes with everything. I too bring a pair of black silk pants. I have to bring a couple pair of shoes as I have foot issues 

Somehow I wasn't thinking of non-clothing items before: 

- I would never travel without my Kindle!  I read for hours at a time, especially on sea days, and the Kindle is such a space saver.  I also discovered recently -- by accident! -- that my Kindle charger will charge my phone.  But my phone charger won't charge my Kindle.  

- I have to have my own shampoo and conditioner.  I tried Royal's all-in-one product, and it left my hair in a stiff, un-brushable clump -- and I have really easy hair!  

- I keep my suitcase open in the bottom of the closet, and that's our laundry hamper.  At the end of the trip, we just zip it up, and we're packed.  

- I have a fat little pencil case that I've used for a travel first aid kit for years.  I have small containers of all the medicines we're even remotely likely to need; if we can take care of any small issues that come up, we don't want to bring ourselves to the attention of the medical staff.  

- Paper items:  We bring 4 magnetic hooks for exactly 4 things that we like to keep hung on the wall.  And we bring a pack of sticky notes and a pen -- for leaving notes to one another.

- We have paper goldfish (custom made by my artist daughter) that I laminated /magnetized.  We like using them to identify our door.  We get lots of positive comments on them!

- I never wake on my own, so I have to have an alarm clock (or risk missing port day plans!), especially now that we're dedicated to "Inside Luxury Suites".  Though we do have another habit that helps without the sun:  At bedtime we turn the TV to the deck channel, and it gives us just a little bit of light in the night, and it lets us know when the sun comes up.  

Finally, yes to a positive attitude about "making do".  It's not hard to be happy with little on a cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Eileen Fisher is my go-to for these. Expensive, but I buy them when they are on sale. I've also seen them on e-bay (new) at a good price.  The style I like best is called "slouchy" -- they are loose fitting but not baggy and come to the ankle on me. The fit is generous so I usually size down one size.  

This year EF has added a wider leg version, which is "in" right now. The slouchy style I have been wearing for probably 10 years or more.

When I searched those looked great. I like EF but only on sale 

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I had been using Chico's, but this is a good alternative

Hmmmmm.  i've been thinking about this for a couple of days.  

headlamp instead of a little flashlight.  keeps the hands free.  Also allows me to keep reading when the power goes out at a hotel (did this in Bordeaux this summer)

a lightweight, foldable tote bag.  Can use it for a day bag, a beach bag, a market bag.  Eco-friendly so that i don't take the single-use bags at stores.

Bandana.  From my Girl Scout days,  it can be used for so many things.  i keep it tied around whatever bag i'm using for the day.

Duct tape.  I have used it!!  Back in the old days, it was a quick fix for blisters.  i've used it to tape together curtains that won't stay closed together, emergency hemming when I've ripped it.  

i have other things that I'll take that i'm not sure I'd call them univesally essential.

• Like 2

Does this have to be clothing/accessories? I consider my only "true essentials"...that would be my meds.

I don't own a kindle, I use the cruise line's shampoo and conditioner. Never bring duct tape or stickey notes. 

It is what makes us all different and that is a good thing😀

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Does this have to be clothing/accessories? I consider my only "true essentials"...that would be my meds.

I don't own a kindle, I use the cruise line's shampoo and conditioner. Never bring duct tape or stickey notes. 

It is what makes us all different and that is a good thing😀

Simple is good - and easy! That’s the mindset I’m trying to achieve with traveling. Instead of packing for every “what if” and “maybes” I really want to be thoughtful about what goes in my luggage. It is very helpful to get everyone’s input on this subject. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, awhfy said:

My essential, hmm. Small roll of duct tape (only one cruise in over 30 didn’t use it or give it away).  Extra week of prescription meds. I do bring my own (2 oz travel size) shampoo & conditioner & dry freeze hair spray. I line my suitcase with a cinch type kitchen can trash bag, keeps everything dry (in case of rain) on way to cruise & doubles as a dirty laundry bag going home. I normally do a color palate of black, white & either cobalt blue or hot pink. Everything goes with everything. I too bring a pair of black silk pants. I have to bring a couple pair of shoes as I have foot issues 

I will second the trash bags. We hang one in the closet for dirty clothes, which makes it easy to carry clothes to the ship’s laundry. And they always seem to come in handy for unforeseen reasons! (same with a few ziplock baggies in various sizes) 

• Like 3