What Item Do You Bring That Is Essential?

LindaD22

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Funny world -- in 50 years of cruising I've not once needed or used duct tape (knock wood), but I know it has its devotees and certainly doesn't take up much room.  🤣

It's from my old Girl Scout and backpacking days.  Working at the resort hotels, the duct tape was used by many a bridesmaid to fix things.   i just roll some on a pencil and toss in the bag.  I still follow the "Be Prepared" motto 😸

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Funny world -- in 50 years of cruising I've not once needed or used duct tape (knock wood), but I know it has its devotees and certainly doesn't take up much room.  🤣

Comes in handy when a soft-sided suitcase gets ripped apart or a hard-sided suitcase gets the zipper ripped out. I’ve repaired shoes, used as a blister plaster. I’ve even duct-taped a pair of pants

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

I use my luggage for dirty clothes. And starting on Oct 22nd I will be receiving free laundry😀

I’ve received free laundry for many years, don’t use it, harsh detergents & hottest water & hot dryers are not friendly to my clothes. I just wait till we get home. I do wash out lingerie in the sink if over a 14 night cruise 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

I’ve received free laundry for many years, don’t use it, harsh detergents & hottest water & hot dryers are not friendly to my clothes. I just wait till we get home. I do wash out lingerie in the sink if over a 14 night cruise 

Hi Melody, I have never had an issue with the cruiseline's laundry service...nothing bad has ever happened to my clothing, maybe I have just been lucky?  And as for having free service for many years? You guys must book suites? With SS, after 100 days you get complimentary laundry. My cruise later this month puts me over 100😀

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I know!  When I first read about this idea, I chucked a bit around a little tube and threw it in my 'stuff bag' ... probably 15 years ago.  Never once have I used it, but we all know if I ditch it, I'll need it.  Same with a tiny tube of super glue.  My stuff bag has everything I've ever needed and then some; I don't like to run around in circles looking for something that might be difficult to find when travelling.  My most-used item?  Binder clips, use them for so many things while travelling. 

• Like 2

Well, the OPost specified to keep you looking your best or something like that. 

General travel would be another list!

As far as ducktape, we once spent three weeks in the same hotel in Beijing; we were sharing a room with an older lady. The bathroom floor was EXTREMELY slippery, and I was especially concerned for her falling. I took the duct tape off our hardshell suitcase (where it was as a spotting-on-the-conveyor marker) and cut it to strips to make the tile more slip-proof!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, I have never had an issue with the cruiseline's laundry service...nothing bad has ever happened to my clothing, maybe I have just been lucky?  And as for having free service for many years? You guys must book suites? With SS, after 100 days you get complimentary laundry. My cruise later this month puts me over 100😀

Never had a suite (other than one junior suite last year)but cruise pretty often

18 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Never had a suite (other than one junior suite last year)but cruise pretty often

So is free laundry a special perk for long timers?

56 minutes ago, WELDON said:

Yes, on Royal Caribbean, Diamond Plus and above get one free bag of laundry.

Celebrity at Elite 1 bag each & 2 items pressed & 1 item dry cleaned. Elite Plus is 2 bags per person, plus the dry cleaning & pressing. I do use the dry cleaning & pressing. Never use the laundry 

13 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Celebrity at Elite 1 bag each & 2 items pressed & 1 item dry cleaned. Elite Plus is 2 bags per person, plus the dry cleaning & pressing. I do use the dry cleaning & pressing. Never use the laundry 

Ohhh...it has been so long since I sailed Celebrity I did not realize Elite receive free laundry.  I was Elite + the last time I cruised with them.

• Like 1

All great suggestions, here is a few more for you: I always have a warm wrap, such as a sweater, hoodie, poncho, or pashmina type scarf. Usually if I’m packing minimally it would be a large scarf. Great for wearing on the airplane, on the beach for a towel or to sit on, if it rains or is exceptionally windy it adds protection,  one time it was used to shelter a grandchild. It is almost ALWAYS chilly in the ships dining room, if not there somewhere else. Ships temperatures are not regulated. 

Off board  I always bring an unstructured backpack. Plus a bra friendly credit card sized holder for credit cards, ship card, ID. Yep, it goes in my bra.

Evening Shoes: Shoes make a difference in a look. I bring a pair of black embellished flats to wear every evening, including Gala nights. I don’t usually wear dresses, however if traveling with Europeans, and on Cunard  where the standards are dressier, one or two little black dresses are packed.

Edited by rtdiva
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, rtdiva said:

All great suggestions, here is a few more for you: I always have a warm wrap, such as a sweater, hoodie, poncho, or pashmina type scarf. Usually if I’m packing minimally it would be a large scarf. Great for wearing on the airplane, on the beach for a towel or to sit on, if it rains or is exceptionally windy it adds protection,  one time it was used to shelter a grandchild. It is almost ALWAYS chilly in the ships dining room, if not there somewhere else. Ships temperatures are not regulated. 

Off board  I always bring an unstructured backpack. Plus a bra friendly credit card sized holder for credit cards, ship card, ID. Yep, it goes in my bra.

Evening Shoes: Shoes make a difference in a look. I bring a pair of black embellished flats to wear every evening, including Gala nights. I don’t usually wear dresses, however if traveling with Europeans, and on Cunard  where the standards are dressier, one or two little black dresses are packed.

I am never cold, but always bring a "wrap/scarf/shawl" something as a fashion accessory.  I can get ready for dinner in ten minutes.

1 minute ago, jsn55 said:

I am never cold, but always bring a "wrap/scarf/shawl" something as a fashion accessory.  I can get ready for dinner in ten minutes.

We are opposite.......I guess I should have stated I always bring a "black cardigan" for evenings(it would be an essential for me)....I always seem to feel chilly on board and black goes with all my evening attire. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

My most basic essentials: my hairbrush and toothbrush.  I now own duplicates of both, so I can pack both ahead of time, and still brush and brush at home, at 5am, just before I dash off for my cruise.

That’s smart! I appreciate travel hacks like that.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

My most basic essentials: my hairbrush and toothbrush.  I now own duplicates of both, so I can pack both ahead of time, and still brush and brush at home, at 5am, just before I dash off for my cruise.

I have them always in my toiletries bag  so I don't even think of them.  In any case, if something happened, those are 2 things I could just pick up at a store in port.

• Like 2

I love and use many of these suggestions in order to travel with only a carry-on. One aspect that makes it easier is to minimize how many shoes you bring, especially if you are like me and have bigger feet! (size 9 or 9.5). 

I will wear my heaviest/bulkiest shoes, usually sneakers, and pack two more pairs - usually a pair of comfortable walking shoes that are also cute and I can wear with dresses if I want, and a pair of sandals if traveling in warmer climates. 

I LOVE bringing 1-2 small battery tea lights for the room/bathroom at night. I have two LL Bean small lights that have different selections for strength and color which are great in the evening. 

Reversible dresses! Such a fantastic idea!! Wish I could find more. Most of the ones I do find are boring, with solid black on one side and a black pattern on the other. I have a beautiful cap sleeve knee length dress from Chicos that is an orange/coral flower design on one side, and a leopard brown/black print on the other. I love it and wish I had more like this. WHBM sometimes have a few, and Chico's once in a great while, but not often. With that one dress, I can dress differently 4 nights, by reversing the dress and changing the scarf/jewelry accessories. 

I have not yet traveled to cooler climates where you'd need warmer clothing, but I think you can do it, by following Travel Fashion Girl suggestions for layering and purchasing clothing such as merino wool, that are not bulky but still provide warmth. 

• Like 2

On 10/1/2022 at 8:51 AM, Lois R said:

I use my luggage for dirty clothes. 

This is such a simple choice -- I just don't see why everyone doesn't just place the open suitcase in the bottom of the closet /use it as a hamper.  Add a couple dryer sheets.

On 10/1/2022 at 4:13 PM, awhfy said:

I've sent out shorts and tee shirts, but I wouldn't want the ship's laundry to wash the thin, gauzy blouses we Southern ladies favor -- or my bras and undies.  

On 10/1/2022 at 6:45 PM, jsn55 said:

I know!  When I first read about this idea, I chucked a bit around a little tube and threw it in my 'stuff bag' ... probably 15 years ago.  Never once have I used it, but we all know if I ditch it, I'll need it.  Same with a tiny tube of super glue.  My stuff bag has everything I've ever needed and then some; I don't like to run around in circles looking for something that might be difficult to find when travelling.  My most-used item?  Binder clips, use them for so many things while travelling. 

I've never needed duct tape on any vacation. 

What do you do with binder clips? 

We took 4 magnetic clips on our recent cruise, which we used to keep the daily Compass, etc. on the wall instead of on the desk.  We also used one clip to hold a dozen disposable face masks and another to hold the ball cap my husband wears outside the cabin.  The hooks keep the cabin neat; I'll definitely bring them again.  

22 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

I love and use many of these suggestions in order to travel with only a carry-on. One aspect that makes it easier is to minimize how many shoes you bring, especially if you are like me and have bigger feet! (size 9 or 9.5). 

I will wear my heaviest/bulkiest shoes, usually sneakers, and pack two more pairs - usually a pair of comfortable walking shoes that are also cute and I can wear with dresses if I want, and a pair of sandals if traveling in warmer climates.

Totally agree about the shoes -- they're the biggest space hogs in your suitcase, even for those of us who can wear child-sized shoes.  For a one-week cruise, I take two pair of "every day shoes" -- one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of sandals (definitely wear the tennis shoes to board -- first because they're better for walking /carrying your things onboard; second because the sandals pack smaller).  I like a pair of wedges to be a little dressy for evening, and IF the shore excursions are water-based, probably a pair of water shoes.  

My husband's shoes are the real space hogs -- men's shoes are so big. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On our first cruise I forgot nail scissors, hairbrush and indigestion remedy. In a pharmacy in Sicily our first stop it cost me €28 to buy the 3 items. Ouch. Lesson learnt 🙂  I now keep all three items in the essentials bag  contents of which too great to list. Lol 😆 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

On our first cruise I forgot nail scissors, hairbrush and indigestion remedy. In a pharmacy in Sicily our first stop it cost me €28 to buy the 3 items. Ouch. Lesson learnt 🙂  I now keep all three items in the essentials bag  contents of which too great to list. Lol 😆 

I recently bought a soft pencil case (back to school supplies) and filled it with First Aid type stuff: Tylenol, cough medicine & drops, Pepto, bandages, etc. I plan to restock it as needed and keep it in my travel bag for all cruises. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LindaD22 said:

I recently bought a soft pencil case (back to school supplies) and filled it with First Aid type stuff: Tylenol, cough medicine & drops, Pepto, bandages, etc. I plan to restock it as needed and keep it in my travel bag for all cruises. 

That's exactly what I have -- a soft pencil case -- but mine is probably 20 years old.  As long as I buy the smallest medicine containers, it's small enough to fit into a backpack for a hike or going ashore for a day.  After our recent cruise, I had to stitch up a spot by the zipper.  I'm on the lookout for a replacement.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, LindaD22 said:

Be sure to keep track of expiration dates and put in new as needed, too!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, LindaD22 said:

I use a cosmetic bag that came as a 'gift with purchase'.

• Like 1