advice required.

Ruthie2

Depends on your "Are we gonna miss our flight?" stress level.  I have done a 11:30 flight and we were the first ones off the ship.  Carried our own luggage off and hopped into a cab.

Edited by PKB

People will chime in with 300 variables that could delay debarking, but if you do self carry and get off the ship early you can be at the airport before 8am without being in much of a rush. You really don’t even need to do self carry off the ship as long as you have a low bag tag number. 

A lot also depends on how busy FLL is. If there is a backup at security or checking bags, things might get tight. You also don't mention what time you are expected to make port. If there is a delay with inspection, things might get tight.

Most of the time there are no issues. I would suggest being in line EARLY and carry off your bags. Catch the first cab/Uber out and check bags curbside. It might help is you have TSA precheck.

it is "doable", but will be tight.

• Thanks 1

Check out thru FT Lauderdale is really fast.    

Try to get a very early departure number.   Take a cab. Don’t do any mini bus’s or airport shuttle going to the airport because you have to wait for the vehicle to be full and the loading and unloading luggage 

The big delay is getting thru security at the airport .   There can be a very long line. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

1 hour ago, Ruthie2 said:

I need your advice. We have an 11:00 o'clock flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and I am wondering what time we would have to leave the ship to make this flight. 
Can we make it?

Thanks

Easily.  Our flight is at 11:25, and we are planning to leave the ship between 8:30-9, or basically as late as we can. 

1 hour ago, Ruthie2 said:

Hi

I need your advice. We have an 11:00 o'clock flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and I am wondering what time we would have to leave the ship to make this flight. 
Can we make it?

Thanks

There are dozens of threads on this.  Pretty much if you need to ask "Can we make it?", there is a possibility you won't. 

Dozens of variables including if you are capable and willing to carry you baggage off, ship on schedule, CBP doing a strict check to weather.

I can answer your question  - You can make your flight.  You might not.

PS seeing you are flying internationally. . . much less likely.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

I have made 11:00 flights  a number of time leaving the ship at 8:15 had plenty of time.   Walk off's generally start around 7-7:15 and last call generally 9:00 to 9:30. 

There have been many cases where something happens -  late arrival of customs, medical evacuation causing the ship to arrive late etc...etc.... Just know your risks and have a backup plan.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have made 11:00 flights  a number of time leaving the ship at 8:15 had plenty of time.   Walk off's generally start around 7-7:15 and last call generally 9:00 to 9:30. 

There have been many cases where something happens -  late arrival of customs, medical evacuation causing the ship to arrive late etc...etc.... Just know your risks and have a backup plan.

Our last cruise at spring break, the ship was late getting back to Port Everglades.   We had a 9:30 flight (was originally 10:15) and got chainged).  We walked off the ship at 8:20, got to FLL and in line at 8:45.  Long like, but Delta employee asked if anyone was on the 9:30 and about 5 of us raised our hands.   She checked our bags and we got thru security and to the gate as they were boarding.  Whew...

5 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Easily.  Our flight is at 11:25, and we are planning to leave the ship between 8:30-9, or basically as late as we can. 

Easily. Hmmmm. Maybe. We've had a cruise begin disembarkation in Lauderdale at 9:30 due to customs delays. And this person is flying internationally.  I'd agree with probably but IMHO easily is pushing it.

5 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

From other postings I see that this poster is flying internationally. That definitely adds an extra major of complexity. I would go for a later flight.

What is the minimum check-in time for International flights in Fort Lauderdale? In the UK at Heathrow it's 3 hours which would make you the early flight impossible. 

If you walk off the ship as early as you can, as others have said, and you have Global Entry or Nexus, I think you could make it.  I take it a later flight is more expensive?  International flights usually require 3 hours ahead for security etc, another gift of COVID.

As a general comment to all who are in a rush to get an early flight after a cruise, I understand wanting to get home, but why put yourself through all that stress? Just get a later flight! Especially when flying internationally.

There was a thread on here the other day from someone wondering if they could make an 8:30am flight if the ship docked at 3am. WTH!!!!

Edited by Guindalf

If everything happens as usual you will have no problem, leave the ship between 7:30 and 8:00, get to FLL and check in, (international travelers go through the same process as domestic) and walk to your gate.  You'll probably be there an hour or more before your flight time.

Now if any of these "one time I had....." events happen it could through off your schedule.  @Jim_Iain said it best, "know your risks and have a backup plan".  That backup plan could be as simple as talk to a ticket agent and rebook for the next day.  Having a backup plan doesn't always mean things turn out the same, it just means you know what you'll do if you need to and you'll be ok with those results, maybe not as happy, but it will be ok.

Debarked Equinox this past Monday, we were easily at the airport by 8:30..and we let them take our luggage off..group 9 was our number. 

We were at the gate by around 9…11:30 flight also..second time we have had this flight time. 

Lots of variables here. What is scheduled port arrival time? What day of the week and how many ships are arriving that day?

International flight---typically recommend arriving at the airport 3 hours prior to flight.

Are you flying first class? Do you have status on your airline? Do you have access to priority security lane?

We have walked off with our luggage at 7:30 ish, got a taxi, made a stop on the way to the airport and still easily made a 9:30 am flight. We have easily made an 11:30 am flight at FLL when disembarking in Miami and not even walking off……I wouldn’t hesitate to book the flight, and I’m a worrier.

Some aren't looking for earlier flights out of FLL due to cost or to hurry home.  Rather, it may be due to connections that mean either an early flight or being stuck in the FLL airport until mid-afternoon.

Shame they still haven't reinstated the Extend Your Stay program.