Dressing for leaving from cold climate, arriving in warm climate

MyTMo777

Every time we cruise I face this dilemma: what do I wear to the airport when it’s -30 that isn’t going to take up space in my suitcase for the rest of my trip in +30? And the reverse - nothing like getting off the plane in capris with nothing more than a light sweater for the cab ride home. What do you do?

• Like 1

Some airports  have coat storage  for just those  trips

We park close to the airport  so not in the cold very long   we leave our boots in the car

Wear long pant/jeans   there  & on the way home

I have seen people outside waiting for  the shuttle in shorts & sandals in the cold   & just wonder  "what were they thinking"  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I drive DW to Departures and offload our bags while she takes off her winter coat and makes a run for it into the terminal. I then go and park the car in a lot about a 5-minute walk from the terminal. I toss my coat onto the back seat with my DW's, then set out on a brisk walk to meet her in Departures.

If we were going to head to the airport by Uber or taxi, we'd just leave the winter coats at home and ask the driver to gives us maximum heat in the car.

• Like 2

Dilemma faced by every Canadian taking a warm weather getaway in winter. I don't care to risk frostbite, so we wear our winter gear to the airport, but leave our boots in the trunk of the car. We wear long pants, socks and shoes, and a sweater over a short sleeve shirt. Plus our usual jacket and gloves. 

Pre Covid, Pearson had a coat check that had very reasonable prices, even for a few weeks. Otherwise once in the terminal the jacket just gets carried until we board the plane. 

On arrival, off come the sweaters, socks, and shoes, and on go the sandals that are in our carry on. Thanks to the expansion zipper in the carry on,  the jackets can fit in there, too. Once at the hotel or ship, everything gets unpacked, hung up and forgotten about until it's time to go home.

• Like 1

I find planes can often be cold so we wear a hoodie during the cab ride to the airport and back.  The hoodie keeps me warm on the planes especially since airlines don't seem to have an abundance of very thin blankets anymore!  We don't bring our winter gear with us to the airport.

I  slip a pair of mini gloves in my backpack just in case it's really cold coming back.  Now that we live in an airport city it's so much more pleasant just jumping in a warm cab for a 30 minute ride home as opposed to getting a shuttle bus to parking lot, starting a cold vehicle, brushing off snow and driving 3 hours!  Did that for over 30 years!  

• Like 1

Layering is your friend.  I find that it can get quite cool on the plane so I always wear jeans or joggers, runners with liner socks, and a t-shirt under a light sweater (cashmere if you got it.)  I wear one of those down jackets than can fold up into its own carrying bag to the airport and then use it as a pillow during the flight. I'm happy with this approach -- has worked for many winter trips! 😊

• Like 1

We have the kind of really light down winter jackets that scrunch up to a small sleeve that is about 5X5 inches, but will also compress into your bag easily if we feel the need to wear that coat to the airport.

I tend to "risk it" in that we are only 15 minutes from the airport and we always order a car to take us and bring us back.  In this case, we only wear what we want on the aircraft, and that tends to be long pants and long sleeve shirt as we find it cold on the aircraft, especially overnight.

We have used the valet service at Pearson a couple of times. Nothing better than dropping the car off right in front of the terminal and then having a nice warm car waiting for you to quickly jump into upon arrival. 

If anyone does use valet parking at the airport, you might be tempted to wear shorts on the flight back because of that nice toasty car waiting for you just steps from the airport door, but just make sure you have arranged for someone to shovel your driveway the before you get home. Shoveling the snow just to get into your driveway while wearing shorts is not advisable   -   trust me. 🥶

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Chinook Wind said:

Layering is your friend.  I find that it can get quite cool on the plane so I always wear jeans or joggers, runners with liner socks, and a t-shirt under a light sweater (cashmere if you got it.)  I wear one of those down jackets than can fold up into its own carrying bag to the airport and then use it as a pillow during the flight. I'm happy with this approach -- has worked for many winter trips! 😊

That kind of coat sounds really good. I could work with that. 

• Like 1

I second the light scunchable down jacket. We were on a cruise in January a few years ago; our 2nd flight was postponed a day and the airline put us up in a hotel for the night. But, we had to wait outside for the hotel shuttle. Believe me, I’d have paid anyone any amount for a warm coat & gloves! 

I catch cold easily.  So I don't risk not having a down jacket with me coming back from warm weather to cold/freezing weather.  It's an inconvenience to bring a winter jacket, but a minor inconvenience.  The light thin down jacket that you can roll up into a small bag works really well.

• 2 weeks later...

I bring my "puffer jacket" with me on all my trips.  I find airports and airplanes to be very cold and keep my puffer jacket on while travelling.   When I don't need it, I can fold it up and stuff it into my carry-on suitcase.   They don't take much room and don't weight much either.   So practical and comfy.   You see so many people wearing them now and I know why.   I just bought my second one because the one I bought a few years ago needs a rest!

• 5 months later...

I have a friend who, several years ago, was flying from Toronto to Thailand and left her winter clothes in her car before departure.  During the flight the plane had a mechanical emergency, and had to land in Anchorage.  They waited for 2 days until parts arrived for the aircraft to be repair.  Needless to say, many had the opportunity to tour around Anchorage, but several were confined to the airport and hotel due to lack of warm clothing.  Like mother always told us, "Be prepared!". 

At the Ottawa airport there is storage available 

https://yow.ca/en/coat-check-and-baggage-storage

Last time we left from Montreal. We parked at the Airport Marriott underground parkade and left everything in the car.  We stayed at the hotel the night before the flight and just walked over to check-in. When we got back the car was waiting for us, snow and ice free. This is a very expensive option though.

We park at the airport and leave winter coat, boots, mittens, etc. in the car. It's chilly walking to the terminal but I would rather be freezing for a few minutes than haul around a winter coat or wear boots. I do wear warmer clothes and a jacket or cardigan for travelling.

Never, ever wear sandals, shorts or capris coming home. Did this the first time I went to Florida several years ago in the dead of winter. My friend's boyfriend picked us up and had parked in the back 40 at the airport so it was a miserable 10-minute walk to the car. I thought my tan had frozen off!

We do have the foldable lightweight down jackets (Costco) but that's still more than I want to carry 😁

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2022 at 4:12 PM, MyTMo777 said:

Every time we cruise I face this dilemma: what do I wear to the airport when it’s -30 that isn’t going to take up space in my suitcase for the rest of my trip in +30? And the reverse - nothing like getting off the plane in capris with nothing more than a light sweater for the cab ride home. What do you do?

Been there!  Have at least a jacket that is somewhat warm that you can wear home - the new light less bulky down meant for "in between weather".  Wear when you board to leave home.  

On 3/24/2023 at 7:29 PM, mrgabriel said:

I thought my tan had frozen off!

Damn, so THATS what happens to us in the winter 🥶

Last trip we embarked at San Juan in early January - fortunate that is wasn't -30 when we left, fairly light jacket and long pants were fine for the shuttle to the terminal.

Not sure what our cabin steward (a Pilipino) thought of our "Spring Jackets" hanging on the wall in 28 degree temps in the Caribbean...but we were warm enough when we got back to YYC 👍

• Haha 1

I am always cold so I wear my lightweight "puffer" jacket on the plane which I usually find very cold.  It is easy to carry and fold up when I don't need it and  I am always happy to have it for the return plane trip.   Once we arrive at the airport and wait outside for a taxi  I can wear the jacket.

• Like 1

Took my first winter trip with my “puffer” and now it’s a definite go item. Had a cloth shoe bag with a drawstring in my carryon and once I got to the plane , my jacket went into the bag and transformed itself into a pillow for the rest of the trip. 

• Like 2