Former Crystal Mozart - able to book, now Riverside Luxury Cruises

Coral

https://www.insidertravelreport.com/former-crystal-mozart-set-to-return-to-the-danube-as-revamped-riverside-mozart?fbclid=IwAR1fWVPj2oyQHYgvGRXv8HBo2YZ5608Kf-n2T4V4-xP92kSgIDCf559d-tM 

A German company named Riverside Luxury Cruises has emerged to buy the Mozart, now renamed Riverside Mozart or just MS Mozart. And the U.S. operations are being headed up by a familiar face, at least among travel advisor circles. Jennifer Halboth, formerly a top sales executive at Globus Family of Brands, has been named the new CEO of Riverside Collection, Americas for Riverside Luxury Cruises. Halboth served with Globus, which includes Avalon Waterways, for 19 years, most recently as director of National Accounts, but also as director-channel marketing, manager-channel marketing.

https://www.riverside-*****/en/ 

Thanks for posting this article – it was very interesting once I figured out that I needed to print to PDF in order to read it without being interrupted every few moments with a pop-up window asking me to subscribe (but warning me that I don't qualify).

The Riverside website is also very interesting.  I am really intrigued by the 5-night cruise from Vienna to Budapest with Bratislava, as it spends enough time in each of the three ports.  But it seems they are only offering that itinerary once, in April 2023.  I hope they will make it a regular part of their itineraries in future years.

• Like 1

Interesting itineraries... as it´s a German brand I´d expected the regular routes starting in Passau. But most cruises start in Vienna or Budapest. And the prices are pretty steep for the German market.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

Interesting itineraries... as it´s a German brand I´d expected the regular routes starting in Passau. But most cruises start in Vienna or Budapest. And the prices are pretty steep for the German market.

steamboats

When Crystal owned Mozart - several itineraries started in Vienna or Budapest. I did a 10 night RT Vienna trip. Even some that did a RT Vienna, did 2 nights overnight in Budapest on their trip so I am not surprised here.

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for posting this article – it was very interesting once I figured out that I needed to print to PDF in order to read it without being interrupted every few moments with a pop-up window asking me to subscribe (but warning me that I don't qualify).

Yep - it was annoying.

Found this on Sonja's LinkedIn account https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6973253825029619713/ :

We are extremely excited to launch our Riverside Collection with the Former Crystal Mozart. The Riverside Mozart will cruise starting April 2023.

Sonja Gruber joined the Riverside Collection in July and will again lead the team on board the Mozart. Executive Chef Johannes Bär and Restaurant Manager Cristian Mondacawill also return to the Mozart.

The guest excursions for 2023 have been crafted by the former Crystal Cruises Operations Manager, Destination Experiences, Ulrike Nehls, now Director Land Operations with the Riverside Collection.

And of course, Captain Bela and his team will remain loyal to the wonderful Mozart and Sonja's Team.

----------

This is excellent news! This ship literally had the best food and service I have ever experienced. We had excursions that other river cruises didn't have, we had several overnights in port that other lines didn't have. Sounds like the leadership team is returning. Mozart sails again! Long live the Mozart! 🙂 

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, Coral said:

When Crystal owned Mozart - several itineraries started in Vienna or Budapest. I did a 10 night RT Vienna trip. Even some that did a RT Vienna, did 2 nights overnight in Budapest on their trip so I am not surprised here.

But Crystal was not focusing on the German market. Riverside is a German company. For US or other countries Vienna and Budapest are quite good locations for embarkation or disembarkation as both cities do have international airports. For us Germans we have to fly to Budapest or Vienna (actually from Munich I can take a train too). Deilmann did the classic Passau roundtrip when they owned the Mozart.

steamboats

1 minute ago, steamboats said:

But Crystal was not focusing on the German market. Riverside is a German company. For US or other countries Vienna and Budapest are quite good locations for embarkation or disembarkation as both cities do have international airports. For us Germans we have to fly to Budapest or Vienna (actually from Munich I can take a train too). Deilmann did the classic Passau roundtrip when they owned the Mozart.

steamboats

It appears they are targeting both Germans and North Americans?

As someone who has to fly everywhere as I live in the middle of nowhere in the US- it doesn't seem like a big deal to fly from Germany to Austria.

Interesting... When I try to book and English website opens. And I start from the German website. I couldn´t find anything about what´s included. There are 11 excursions listed with no pricing. Those are obviously top priced excursions (helicopter flight, balloon ride...). So it sounds like regular shore tours are included (which is not usual on the German market). No word about beverages and whether they are included. They might have to add a bit more of information.

They might target English and German speaking guests but no word about the onboard language. And all prices are shown in Euro.

steamboats

• Like 1

That is certainly quite pricey. A river cruise of the same length Passau return with a not-so-cheap German line is a third of the price.  Okay, you need to add  the travelling by train or plane to that. You can get a longer Danube cruise with Riviera Travel for 1,400 pounds including flights.

Definitely Crystal 2.0 as regards prices. It appears they also want to recreate the whole Crystal river cruise experience. Great stuff and I think for the Mozart it could work if they get the marketing right. I doubt that Germans will flock to it though. Again, if they can address and gain interest within the higher end of the financial/social ladder it may work.

notamermaid

As I posted on the Crystal board regarding the Mozart:

Very excited about this development.  We had had a cruise booked on the Mozart, but cancelled because of concern about Crystal's financial viability (and were glad we did, as it turned out).  

Does anyone know whether German will be the primary language on Mozart cruises with this company?  If so, how might that relate to any talks given onboard or how excursions might be handled, etc.?

Thanks for any insights.

I´m pretty sure it will be bilingual - German and English. But nothing on their website.

What´s also a bit weird... they are offering 3, 4, 5 night trips (out of Vienna and Budapest) - which in general is a nice idea. But...not worth the travel for an American/Canadian/Aussie. And even from Europe (inkluding UK) you need to fly and than it´s not worth booking. Even with the cheapest category I would end up with 2,000 Euro at least for a 3 night trip.

steamboats

• Like 1

Your right Steamboats as I see it the only way to make a 3-4-5 night viable is to be part of a land or other river, shall we say ‘adventure’. Plus for us ladies a very handsome German - English translator, I’ve already got mine!

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, notamermaid said:

That is certainly quite pricey. A river cruise of the same length Passau return with a not-so-cheap German line is a third of the price.  Okay, you need to add  the travelling by train or plane to that. You can get a longer Danube cruise with Riviera Travel for 1,400 pounds including flights.

Definitely Crystal 2.0 as regards prices. It appears they also want to recreate the whole Crystal river cruise experience. Great stuff and I think for the Mozart it could work if they get the marketing right. I doubt that Germans will flock to it though. Again, if they can address and gain interest within the higher end of the financial/social ladder it may work.

notamermaid

It is not cheap. Prices will probably need to be adjusted.

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Plus for us ladies a very handsome German - English translator, I’ve already got mine!

"Selbst ist die Frau!" as we German ladies would say... and as I have currently "lost" my handsome German-English translator somewhere in the Atlantic sea... He´s off for four weeks on three different cruises...

steamboats

• Like 2

Hmm, Gregor Gerlach is one of the founders and co-investors of Vapiano (Italian restaurant franchise system)... which filed for bankrupcty in April 2021 and is now back again with a different menu and less locations.

And now he´s running a river cruise ship... At least the article says something about a beverage package. But then you can bundle the cruise with a shore excursion package... Looking at the prices I´d expect beverages and shore excursions to be included.

steamboats

On 10/4/2022 at 10:25 PM, Pandora Boatman said:

Did anyone see a deck plan?

I am guessing they are keeping the same deck plan when Crystal had it.

Someone on another thread (Crystal board) confirmed that English would be the main language onboard. I am guessing things will be in German also.

They have hired a lot of the managers Crystal had on the ship (which is a good sign as far as service goes IMO).

I agree - prices are high right now.

Edited by Coral

• 3 weeks later...