Blue Mountains from Sydney - recommendations

sequincruiser

Hi. I've been trying to find a tour operator for a day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney for our pre-cruise stay in 3 weeks' time. They all seem to offer trips including Federdale Wildlife park/Sydney zoo/ferry from Parramatta but we are not really interested in these extras and wanted to concentrate just on the Blue Mountains area (scenic world plus lookouts, honeymoon bridge etc). I can only find one tour operator to offer a trip of this nature which is "sydneyadventuretours" but there are precious few reviews online and I would have to book directly in local currency with them off the back of their website. It makes me slightly nervous.

Does anyone have any experience of this operator before I take the risky plunge and book with them?

On 10/3/2022 at 11:34 PM, sequincruiser said:

Hi. I've been trying to find a tour operator for a day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney for our pre-cruise stay in 3 weeks' time. They all seem to offer trips including Federdale Wildlife park/Sydney zoo/ferry from Parramatta but we are not really interested in these extras and wanted to concentrate just on the Blue Mountains area (scenic world plus lookouts, honeymoon bridge etc). I can only find one tour operator to offer a trip of this nature which is "sydneyadventuretours" but there are precious few reviews online and I would have to book directly in local currency with them off the back of their website. It makes me slightly nervous.

Does anyone have any experience of this operator before I take the risky plunge and book with them?

Most of the tour operators try to offer as many extras as they can to sell their tour. The company you selected seems to  be your best option. You should have the trip that suits without worries with this company.

In our experience, it was very easy to take one the frequent and cheap trains from Sydney Central Station to Katoomba (about 2 hours each way) and then take taxis to nearby Scenic World and the other area sites.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 12:22 PM, taxatty said:

In our experience, it was very easy to take one the frequent and cheap trains from Sydney Central Station to Katoomba (about 2 hours each way) and then take taxis to nearby Scenic World and the other area sites.

I agree, just DIY  . 

On 10/10/2022 at 1:21 PM, Chiliburn said:

I agree, just DIY  . 

Yes I agree it is a scenic train trip.  I would get out at Leura and do a taxi tour of its beautiful homes and gardens.  It is a pretty village with good shops and eating places. Cherry blossoms line the main street.   Everglades Gardens, National Trust, is a beautiful garden to visit. . visitnsw.com.leura   Katoomba is only 5 mins away from Leura.  Go there before sunset to see the changing colours of the Blue Mountains at Echo point. 

• 8 months later...
On 10/3/2022 at 8:34 AM, sequincruiser said:

We just booked a trip with "tours by locals" and he will pick us up at our Sydney hotel and back for just the two of us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I see a HOHO Bus at Katoomba. Is this a good option for someone who does not know the area? Also is there more than one train to choose?

There is a train from Sydney Central station to Katoomba leaving every hour and more during the peak times.

The travel time is around two hours. I think HOHO buses are always a good option. We use them when we can, but haven't used the Katoomba one.

Thanks Yarramar and Possum, we are thinking of doing this on Oct 24th this year. We will dock in Sydney on Oct 23 and fly home late on Oct 26. I am wondering if trying to fit in Blue Mountains might be too much and we might be better off seeing more of Sydney.

15 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Here's another write up/how to do this trip on your own: 

https://sydneyexpert.com/blue-mountains-itinerary-by-train/

@Tedferg  when are you planning on your trip?  If all goes well, I should be doing this train trip from Sydney in November after my cruise. 

Great description and an itinerary to limit walking time to 30 minutes!

Great link from Yarramar too !

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Thanks Yarramar and Possum, we are thinking of doing this on Oct 24th this year. We will dock in Sydney on Oct 23 and fly home late on Oct 26. I am wondering if trying to fit in Blue Mountains might be too much and we might be better off seeing more of Sydney.

I would suggest, that as you have around four days in Sydney before flying home that if you want to go to the Blue Mountains, do it on the 3rd day. That way, there is no rush on your last day in Sydney and you can do as little or as much as you want. Whether you go to the Blue Mountains or spend another day in Sydney will depend on what you want to do and see there and how much you want to pack into one day.

On 9/19/2023 at 5:47 PM, dreams_of_travel said:

Here's another write up/how to do this trip on your own: 

https://sydneyexpert.com/blue-mountains-itinerary-by-train/

@Tedferg  when are you planning on your trip?  If all goes well, I should be doing this train trip from Sydney in November after my cruise. 

I really like this write up.  I was also planning on a trip to the Blue Mountains in early November following our cruise and this fits in perfectly as to what I was thinking.  Thanks for posting!

My gut suggests that going on a weekday would be best to avoid a bigger crowd.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 9/20/2023 at 7:26 PM, possum52 said:

I would suggest, that as you have around four days in Sydney before flying home that if you want to go to the Blue Mountains, do it on the 3rd day. That way, there is no rush on your last day in Sydney and you can do as little or as much as you want. Whether you go to the Blue Mountains or spend another day in Sydney will depend on what you want to do and see there and how much you want to pack into one day.

Hello possum52,

I hope you can answer this question, 

we are planning a visit to Blue Mountains via train and then taking local bus to Scenic World. We intend to do Scenic World first and to some hikes to Leura.

Is this feasible? How long would it be and how much time should it take?
Thanks in advance!

I did end up doing this trip after my cruise, and it went really well.  We took the train up to Katoomba per the write up I posted.  We caught the HoHo bus we had already booked.  We did not do Scenic World as their website mentioned a few things were closed.  We got off the HoHo at stop 6, hiked along the trails, all the way to Scenic World where we hopped back onto the HoHo.  We rode the bus into Leura, and walked about the cute little town and shopped.  We caught the train back to Sydney from Leura.  Not counting the train to Katoomba, and the little bit of time on the first part of the HoHo, we spent a several hours hiking along the trails, taking pics, and me trying to "recover" from the heat.   My companion was good to allow me to rest as needed.  It was a full day, and I'm glad we did the hike in the end.

As for the previous poster, I am not sure I would hike from Scenic World to Leura.  It is partially residential, and not really a hiking area.  The trails from SW back to Honeymoon Lookout, Three Sisters, and Prince Henry Cliff walk is a better walk and view.  I mean you can walk to Leura but it isn't what I think of as a hike.  YMMV

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ron1209 said:

Hello possum52,

I hope you can answer this question, 

we are planning a visit to Blue Mountains via train and then taking local bus to Scenic World. We intend to do Scenic World first and to some hikes to Leura.

Is this feasible? How long would it be and how much time should it take?
Thanks in advance!

First of all, how long are you in Sydney? If you are in Sydney for more than one day, I suggest you make a whole day trip and not have to rush there and more particularly back to Sydney from Leura or Katoomba. I would be inclined to do as dreams-of-travel suggested. It sounds a really good plan for the day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 8:07 PM, dreams_of_travel said:

I did end up doing this trip after my cruise, and it went really well.  We took the train up to Katoomba per the write up I posted.  We caught the HoHo bus we had already booked.  We did not do Scenic World as their website mentioned a few things were closed.  We got off the HoHo at stop 6, hiked along the trails, all the way to Scenic World where we hopped back onto the HoHo.  We rode the bus into Leura, and walked about the cute little town and shopped.  We caught the train back to Sydney from Leura.  Not counting the train to Katoomba, and the little bit of time on the first part of the HoHo, we spent a several hours hiking along the trails, taking pics, and me trying to "recover" from the heat.   My companion was good to allow me to rest as needed.  It was a full day, and I'm glad we did the hike in the end.

As for the previous poster, I am not sure I would hike from Scenic World to Leura.  It is partially residential, and not really a hiking area.  The trails from SW back to Honeymoon Lookout, Three Sisters, and Prince Henry Cliff walk is a better walk and view.  I mean you can walk to Leura but it isn't what I think of as a hike.  YMMV

Hello again, sorry I meant can you walk the trails Scenic World to Three Sisters and Prince Henry Cliff and continue on the trails into Leura. The map I have indicates this somewhat but still unsure of time it would take.

thanks!

• Like 1

We will be aboard Oceania Nautica docking in Sydney on March 21 at approximately 11 a.m. and leaving Sydney on March 22 at 6 p.m.  I have already booked a tour for the day of March 22.  Is it at all possible to take the train and HOHO bus to see Blue Mountain or is there not enough time for March 21.  We are not hikers but would hate to miss seeing Blue Mountain as this is our first time to Australia.

Thanks for your input.

2 minutes ago, reps23 said:

We will be aboard Oceania Nautica docking in Sydney on March 21 at approximately 11 a.m. and leaving Sydney on March 22 at 6 p.m.  I have already booked a tour for the day of March 22.  Is it at all possible to take the train and HOHO bus to see Blue Mountain or is there not enough time for March 21.  We are not hikers but would hate to miss seeing Blue Mountain as this is our first time to Australia.

Thanks for your input.

Yes there would be time, the train takes approx. two hours to travel from Central Station to Katoomba. If you could manage to get to Central Station by 12.18pm from White Bay where you will dock - a taxi or Uber would be the best option, you will be at Katoomba by 2.18pm. The HOHO bus leaves every hour on the hour. Or you could leave very early the next morning - the first HOHO bus is at 9am. You could then leave Katoomba to arrive back in Sydney by mid afternoon.

timetable route BMT (transportnsw.info)

Map & Walking Guides - Blue Mountains Explorer Bus

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this information.  Now I only have to read the train schedule.  I would think we could make the 12:18 train and as we are staying overnight we could back around 7 or so.

• Like 1