Passengers using public transport prior to boarding Carnival Splendor on 5th October

Yesterday I caught a bus to Parramatta Railway Station.  There were two groups not known to each other travelling to board Carnival Splendor.  For a five day cruise to Moreton Island, 2 adults and 2 children had three big suitcases + hand luggage, the single adult had one large suitcase + hand luggage.  As Moreton Island was their only stop, they could have travelled with hand luggage.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yesterday I caught a bus to Parramatta Railway Station.  There were two groups not known to each other travelling to board Carnival Splendor.  For a five day cruise to Moreton Island, 2 adults and 2 children had three big suitcases + hand luggage, the single adult had one large suitcase + hand luggage.  As Moreton Island was their only stop, they could have travelled with hand luggage.  

I am doing a 5 day cruise shortly and people might think the same of our luggage BUT we are doing B2B2B following the 5 nighter. What I am saying and I do agree for a short cruise you don’t need a lot, is that we do not know peoples following journey!

Edited by resordanis

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

You should see some of the luggage people take on a two day booze cruise.  To each their own .

My BF and I had suitcases weighing 16kg each for our 6 week getaway in Europe. I'm sure others on the tour had almost twice that and had trouble lugging them into and out of hotels. Our cases weigh about the same, 16kg or less, for cruises.

1 hour ago, resordanis said:

I am doing a 5 day cruise shortly and people might think the same of our luggage BUT we are doing B2B2B following the 5 nighter. What I am saying and I do agree for a short cruise you don’t need a lot, is that we do not know peoples following journey!

True.  But I spoke to both these groups sitting beside me in those side seats on a bus and Moreton Island was the extent of their cruising.  And they were very excited that I knew Moreton Island and could confirm how beautiful it is. 

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

True.  But I spoke to both these groups sitting beside me in those side seats on a bus and Moreton Island was the extent of their cruising.  And they were very excited that I knew Moreton Island and could confirm how beautiful it is. 

I bet some people will say the same about us though. We get off a 5 day cruise, have one night in Sydney then do another 3 cruise! Lots of different climates too! Perhaps this was there first cruise and they had fancy dress? Anyway each to their own I guess!

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

My BF and I had suitcases weighing 16kg each for our 6 week getaway in Europe. I'm sure others on the tour had almost twice that and had trouble lugging them into and out of hotels. Our cases weigh about the same, 16kg or less, for cruises.

My friends are currently travelling in Southern Europe for five weeks with hand luggage.  They travelled with Scoot in economy from Sydney to Malta for 40 hours!

13 minutes ago, resordanis said:

I bet some people will say the same about us though. We get off a 5 day cruise, have one night in Sydney then do another 3 cruise! Lots of different climates too! Perhaps this was there first cruise and they had fancy dress? Anyway each to their own I guess!

When I first travelled overseas by ship I took far too much in one of those big old suitcases which stretched with metal slides.  When I came home, I had ten ports!

On my recent Coral 9 night cruise, I took no flash gear, so just packed my gear into a 9 kg airline type carry on case, did the self walk off. Took no flash gear for the first time and put in a couple of bags of Elite laundry, like jeans, shirts, jumper, lightens the load.  Washed my unmentionables in the cabin basin and hung and dried them on the balcony chairs and tables.😁

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

As I am thinking of getting some clothes ready for our next cruise, I have noted that our medical requirements and potions are much larger than when we last cruised.;Must be a sign of getting older😩. Clothes wise, I think we will be fine!

• Like 1

I am on a similar cruise same time next year and fully plan to take a suitcase as I'll have my wetsuit and snorkelling gear to dive the wrecks at Moreton Island.  I avoid using loan equipment if at all possible.

I'll also have hand luggage, as always, for backup in case there's a delay in getting my suitcase to the cabin.

Maybe not the case for those on the bus, but lots of people are doing these short weekenders and go straight from work to embark, then straight to work after disembarking. For the lack of suit & tie in the dining room, you see plenty disembarking that way. That would add a bit of bloat to your luggage.

I used to be a terrible over-packer. Then I bought a smaller modern suitcase with excellent wheels. I have found it is impossible to pack it with the usual clothing etc and reach the economy class weight limit. It is just not big enough.  It also curbs my overpacking. When it gets too full, I just have to discard some items.

56 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I used to be a terrible over-packer. Then I bought a smaller modern suitcase with excellent wheels. I have found it is impossible to pack it with the usual clothing etc and reach the economy class weight limit. It is just not big enough.  It also curbs my overpacking. When it gets too full, I just have to discard some items.

I've got a couple of those medium size suitcases on excellent spinning wheels.  One opens flat half and half, the other opens with top slightly narrower.  I prefer the latter.  I agree it impossible to overpack them. I never want to see my port open with the contents spread out!

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

They may have been doing more than the one cruise.

No, both groups were only doing the 5 day cruise to Tangalooma.  I'm hoping the weather will be nice for them,  Two were young children looking forward to feeding the dolphins.

I was surprised at their bravery travelling on a bus with so much luggage.