Duty Free Alcohol

wvacations

We are planning on using our OBC for to purchase some Scotch  to take home on  our Navigator Miami-Miami cruise next month. I've been reading about how to get bottles through TSA. From what I have read Duty Free Alcohol can be carried on if the bottles are in a clear bag that has a tamper proof seal. 

If anyone has any recent experience with Duty Free Liquor and TSA I would appreciate it.

6 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Duty free liquor is purchased at the airport in the duty-free shops. Anything you bring into the airport after having purchased it on board your cruise will not be duty free. Sorry……

Thank you. I assume that I will have to pack the bottles I buy onboard in my check luggage as I see no way to get it through TSA.

Edited by wvacations
  • Like 2

We always travel with spill-proof bottle packs similar to these: AmazonSmile | [UPGRADED PROTECTION] 4 Set (8 pcs) Reusable Wine Bags for Travel, Wine Travel Protector, Bottle Travel Sleeve Case For Airplane, Car, Cruise, TRIPLE Protection Luggage Leak-proof Safety Impact Resist: Bar Tools & Drinkware

Never had one of these fail.  Burying them in the middle of your luggage is also a good idea. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Portolan said:

We always travel with spill-proof bottle packs similar to these: AmazonSmile | [UPGRADED PROTECTION] 4 Set (8 pcs) Reusable Wine Bags for Travel, Wine Travel Protector, Bottle Travel Sleeve Case For Airplane, Car, Cruise, TRIPLE Protection Luggage Leak-proof Safety Impact Resist: Bar Tools & Drinkware

Never had one of these fail.  Burying them in the middle of your luggage is also a good idea. 

Second the use of these bags,  they worked very well!  I also bury them in the middle of my husbands suitcase, my clothing is nicer!  (Just in case). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Second the use of these bags,  they worked very well!  I also bury them in the middle of my husbands suitcase, my clothing is nicer!  (Just in case). 

We put one bottle in each of our bags so they don't knock against each other.  Two bottle also being the allowance for bringing in alcohol without paying duties.  Never had a bottle break or any leakage even discounting the multiple seals which should contain either event.

Edited by Portolan

22 hours ago, wvacations said:

Thank you. I assume that I will have to pack the bottles I buy onboard in my check luggage as I see no way to get it through TSA.

Yup in packed luggage - we do it all the time. Make sure you wrap it well with a fleecy or something😅

19 hours ago, Gcto said:

ok, but how are you planning on using OBC to purchase bottles of liquor if there are no bottles to be bought on the ship.... ? 🙂

I guess I assumed there was a shop on the ship to purchase bottles that would be held by Regent until the night before we disembark. Is that not the case? 

29 minutes ago, wvacations said:

I'm Sorry, I'm not sure which statement is "not correct." Is it possible to buy bottles of liquor on the ship (Navigator) .

Thank you

I feel your pain and would also love an answer to the question: “ can I buy duty free on board a Regent ship?”

Options include: #1 - “yes”

#2: “no”

#3: “what is the question again?”

• Like 1

There is no duty free shop where you can buy alcohol onboard. You may well be able to buy bottles from one of the bars, and it may be duty free, not sure about that or you can always pack away the 2 bottles from your room’s mini bar. Or you can just stop at the airport duty free shop and obtain whatever you want.

Regent does not sell liquor in the gift shops. However , if you are in a Penthouse or above, you will receive 2 bottles of your choice from a list of wine and spirits - generally liter bottles for spirits. These you may pack in your checked luggage for transport home. anything else you pick up at duty free shops at airports, if sealed in a bag with the receipt stapled to it, can be taken on board. i picked up a Talisker Scotch at LHR this summer because the exchange rate was worth it. Carried on board with no issue and none at CBP upon arrival home.

12 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Regent does not sell liquor in the gift shops. However , if you are in a Penthouse or above, you will receive 2 bottles of your choice from a list of wine and spirits - generally liter bottles for spirits. These you may pack in your checked luggage for transport home. anything else you pick up at duty free shops at airports, if sealed in a bag with the receipt stapled to it, can be taken on board. i picked up a Talisker Scotch at LHR this summer because the exchange rate was worth it. Carried on board with no issue and none at CBP upon arrival home.

Slight correction, any suite, not just penthouse and above, can have two bottles in your cabin; and they are replenished whenever needed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wvacations said:

I guess I assumed there was a shop on the ship to purchase bottles that would be held by Regent until the night before we disembark. Is that not the case? 

There is no liquor store or anything like it on the ship. RCL or NCL do this, but Regent (and I assume seaborne, silversea) don't sell liquor. Enjoy it while on board. 

Even though I'm not the OP,  I'm going to say "Thanks" for all the responses. I was also planning on using OBC to replenish my Scotch supply!  I was kinda' surprised that there was liquor for sale as there wasn't any (albeit years ago) on the Oceania ships.

Oh well, bring on the overpriced sportswear and let's go crazy on the wines!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, wvacations said:

Regent is not Carnival!  Personally bought/brought liquor can be carried and consumed onboard wherever/whenever you prefer without restriction or limitation.  Regent doesn't care if you drink the (included/complimentary) liquor they provide, or if you bring your own, or if you buy some onshore and bring it onboard for consumption. They do not "hold" anyone's liquor until disembarkation.  That's one of the primary distinctions between a "Luxury" cruise line... and "everybody else".  Regards.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Regent is not Carnival!  Personally bought/brought liquor can be carried and consumed onboard wherever/whenever you prefer without restriction or limitation.  Regent doesn't care if you drink the (included/complimentary) liquor they provide, or if you bring your own, or if you buy some onshore and bring it onboard for consumption. They do not "hold" anyone's liquor until disembarkation.  That's one of the primary distinctions between a "Luxury" cruise line... and "everybody else".  Regards.

Thank you for the information. I was not inquiring about consumption on board. I like to bring home some nice bottles of scotch for gifts for family members. 

• Like 2

The best place to get some nice scotch (and other liquors) will be in the duty free in a large airport, hopefully you will be traveling through one.  (PRE-COVID) And they will bag it so you can take it one the plane.  If you are returning to the USA when you buy some, and changing planes in the US, you will need to pack the liquor in checked baggage after you clear customs before you recheck your bags.  In other words, the bagging of the duty free liquor or cologne will only get you on  the very next airplane, any connections you then have will require you to put it in your suitcase.

• Like 2

Check your prices at home first. I have often found that duty-free shops charge more for the same size/product than state side stores, Costco for instance. It can be difficult to make comparisons though, as distilleries often bottle special additions just for the duty-free shops.

• Like 3

Wow - what a classic thread - a simple question and so many answers that don’t relate to the original question 

If people don’t know the answer why not just scroll on by rather than guessing and/or answering something completely different?

I know of one other luxury line that did sell duty free alcohol to guests - although it wasn’t something that was advertised as such. Why would that be such an issue or for some reason not be consistent with luxury cruising (any more than selling logo wear or tacky souvenirs in the gift shop?)

• Like 1