What to pack/wear for a Winter cruise to the Caribbean?

aim2cruise

This is my first time cruising in the Winter.....12/4/22 Carnival Celebration!!  I don't know if I should pack hot weather clothes (shorts, tanks, summery dresses) or more warmer options for onboard. I know what to wear on port days but this is an 8 day cruise and so much time is spent on the ship. 

Thanks! 

Definitely warm weather clothes & a light jacket/sweater for evenings. We wear our cold weather clothes (we live in Colorado) on the plane, coming & going (same outfit). Do try to fly in at least one day (two is better). Flight delays are horrendous 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Definitely warm weather clothes & a light jacket/sweater for evenings. We wear our cold weather clothes (we live in Colorado) on the plane, coming & going (same outfit). Do try to fly in at least one day (two is better). Flight delays are horrendous 

yes flying in the night before. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Hi, I have sailed the Caribbean many, many times over the years........and many times during the winter months. I have always found the temps to be warm, no matter the month and so, I bring a lot of lightweight attire.  Shorts, t's, crop pants for daytime and although I am not a big pool person, I do pack 1 or 2 bathing suits. 

• Thanks 1

For any trip, anywhere, I look up all the locations and get the weather averages for each ... in your case look at November and December ... to make an educated guess.  Once you eyeball your list, what to pack becomes quite clear.

Expect warm to hot.  the northern islands (Bahamas, for example) will be slightly cooler, but I've never been cold on one of the islands.  The evenings can be coolish, so bring a sweater and/or light jacket.  

It also depends on which port you are sailing out of.  Usually (barring an unusual cold front), Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are warm.  Port Canavarel can be cooler, as well as New Orleans and Galveston.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jsn55 said:

For any trip, anywhere, I look up all the locations and get the weather averages for each ... in your case look at November and December ... to make an educated guess.  Once you eyeball your list, what to pack becomes quite clear.

Obviously, I can look up the weather. Isn't this a forum to ask real people for opinions, ideas, etc? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aim2cruise said:

Obviously, I can look up the weather. Isn't this a forum to ask real people for opinions, ideas, etc? 

Yes, yes it is.🙂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, aim2cruise said:

Sorry to offend, the Caribbean is a big place and I thought you might be better served by researching your specific ports so you'd be prepared.  

• Like 1

We have sailed to the Caribbean in December, January, and February. In all cases, summer wear was comfortable most of the time. I did bring a hoodie, which I used on a few cooler seadays, and a wrap for evenings. It's always been warm to hot in ports,

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2022 at 9:21 PM, jsn55 said:

Sorry to offend, the Caribbean is a big place and I thought you might be better served by researching your specific ports so you'd be prepared.  

I am planning a 10 day cruise starting out of Rome and porting in the Greek Islands next Oct 2023.  I have been doing exactly what you suggested, tracking the high and low temps for the port on the day we would be there.  Gives me a better idea of what to pack.  

I have a Thanksgiving cruise coming up and I will be checking out temps in Nassau ahead of embarkation.  Always good to be in the know👍

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 3:26 PM, aim2cruise said:

This is my first time cruising in the Winter.....12/4/22 Carnival Celebration!!  I don't know if I should pack hot weather clothes (shorts, tanks, summery dresses) or more warmer options for onboard. I know what to wear on port days but this is an 8 day cruise and so much time is spent on the ship. 

Thanks! 

Yes, it is still hot in the Caribbean. However, be forewarned if there is a freeze in Florida it is usually cooler in the Carribean. One cruise (December 2003) that happened and we had highs of 55-60. I WISHED I had brought a light jacket and more long pants as it was chilly. 

• Like 3

On 10/16/2022 at 8:36 AM, Lois R said:

Yes, yes it is.🙂

I agree. When there was a cold snap in Florida in December 2003 (orange blossoms froze) happened a couple of days after we sailed. We did not have any winter clothing with us beyond what we wore on the plane. (And although it was cool, my winter coat was too much, it was not THAT cold, just cool) I know it was highly unusual, but now I always bring a couple pairs of daywear long pants and a hoodie or something similar for just in case. I have never needed them again. Hopefully it stays summer like for the OP, but I would still prepare in case it doesn't.

• Like 1

I always take a jacket ( lightweight) and at least a pair of jeans or pants.  Getting on the ship is often in the 40’s or 50’s.  I’ve been wrapped up in the sun with pool towel, jacket and jeans as late as March and as early as November.  Of course I hope for warmer but go prepared.  

As far as evening clothes go I dress for the Caribbean in sundresses, even white sandals with a wrap.  Once you get south of the Bahamas the days are usually swimsuit weather.  We will be in CocoCay this December and I’m hoping for a beach day but it may not be.  

We left Florida once for Kansas City forgetting the temp difference.  No jacket, the DH was in shorts and sandals.  We laughed but froze our way to the car.  The wind chill was awful.  Winter had arrived the week we were gone.  

• Like 3

I live in Broward County, FL and as others have said we do have our cold snaps. We're cruising from Tampa (north of us and cooler by a good bit) in early 2023 and I plan on packing a few lightweight slacks/long sleeved top outfits for the first few days. I will check the weather forecast for the FL peninsula to determine just how many of those outfits I think I'll need and whether to add a long sweater type coat to add additional warmth. I'm excited to sail under the Skyway Bridge and don't want to be miserably cold (at least to me) while I am experiencing that moment!

Enjoy your winter cruise!

• Like 4

Ah! Sailing out of FLL in the wintertime:
Once I found myself pulling out of my carry - on a sleeveless top and shorts to change from slacks while waiting to board. It was miserably humid. Another year I pulled out fleece sweatpants to pull over lightweight pants. The weather prediction sometimes fools you. 

My packing habit is to always have at least one short sleeve and one long sleeve top, and a large scarf. My favorite long sleeve is a light weight cotton hoodie for sitting on the deck in the day.  I’m finding those easy to pack chiffon Kimonos do the trick to ward off air conditioning at night. 

You will find shops onboard and off board who will gladly sell you whatever you need. 

We sail the Caribbean for two weeks in January. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2022 at 5:48 PM, ninjacat123 said:

I am planning a 10 day cruise starting out of Rome and porting in the Greek Islands next Oct 2023.  I have been doing exactly what you suggested, tracking the high and low temps for the port on the day we would be there.  Gives me a better idea of what to pack.  

I have a Thanksgiving cruise coming up and I will be checking out temps in Nassau ahead of embarkation.  Always good to be in the know👍 

We lived in Rome and later sailed the eastern Med many times in the Fall. Normally the rainy season begins between October 1st and December 15th. That's the averages. Winter just be prepared for light snow. During the rainy season it will be cold and drizzle to pour a lot. Do not wear corduroy because they hold that cold water. I wore water-proofed short leather boots, tall merino socks and bespoke jeans so I did not get the evil eye while doing my daily shopping just like the Italian ladies. So plain on anything from a longer raincoat to clear ponchos that dry fast once back on ship. 

We are heading out soon for our February holiday and hope one of the B2B cruises are warmer than Tampa. I will wearing cashmere or more casual sweat shirts for the car and dinners out. 

• Thanks 1

Caribbean is basically summer all year round!

Yes, it is a bit cooler in the winter (think high of 75-80 rather than 85), but more pleasant due to lower humidity levels. 

And ocean may feel a tad cool as you enter, but it is still quite comfortable quickly.

I always bring a sweater or wrap for the ship as you never know when that A/C will be too cool--or a storm rolls in & cools things off for a bit.

Layers for the plane & when you land in you back in NYC!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First consider your own personal thermostat.  I personally don't need a shawl or wrap for dinner in the MDR or the theater; you may be different.  This is probably the most important question of all. 

My specific experiences: 

- I was always comfortable -- day or night -- onboard in short sleeves.  Probably not sleeveless.  I found shorts and dresses comfortable the whole time.  My husband brought long pants for dinner but wore shorts the rest of the time.  

- On Coco Cay and by the ship's pool, I was a little chilly in the mornings but comfortable in the afternoons /evenings.  I would've liked to be "one step warmer" in the mornings.  I have since purchased a long-sleeved rash guard and think that'll be ideal.  I saw some women wearing track suits by the pool in the mornings -- that looked like a little too much for me.  

- I was a little chilly watching MUTS -- Movies Under the Stars -- after dark, so I went back to my room and brought out a thin chambray shirt, which I used like a blanket.  Perfect.  I actually brought that shirt to use for the trip home -- I left the ship wearing a tee-shirt, then layered on that shirt as we headed North.   

• Like 1