Prinsendam Grief

kaymoz

Me too!  I did five cruises on the P, four TAs  and one South America/Antarctica. When Hal sold her I went over to some other cruise lines and didn’t cruise with Hal until just a couple of weeks ago.  My favorite spot was the Java Café.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That probably means that the wall mirror next to the Signature Suites bathtub's wall allows one to view one's showering/bathing.  That was weird.  

Those mirrors were in the inside cabins with tubs, too. Weird? I would say closer to horrifying. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The gentleman recalls regarding the showroom what I remember from the similar venue on Royal Viking Sky.  I don't remember much conversation during the performances.  But, it was a different arrangement of seating.  

When I sailed on Prinsendam, every time I walked into the Ocean Bar, I remembered how that space had been used on Royal Viking Sun.  My dining table on Princendam was in the "annex" to the main dining rooms on RVS as well as on Prinsendam.  When I first saw that on a deck plan of RVS, I thought--how horrid!  A second class guest experience!  Well, on Prinsendam, it wasn't.  It was a delightful and more pleasant dining experience than might have been if we had been assigned a table in the MDR.  

That probably means that the wall mirror next to the Signature Suites bathtub's wall allows one to view one's showering/bathing.  That was weird.  

The Gentleman as you called the RVS resident pianist probably noticed the conversations more since he was there to entertain the guest. BTW, his shows on Prinsendam were outstanding, Md even though he had two shows, we never missed his shows, he was that good.

As far as the mirrors in the tubs, I either kept my back to them, closed my eyes or made sure I had them really fogged up.  I didn’t want to scare myself.  🤣

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2022 at 8:31 PM, kaymoz said:

I'm still not over it.  I only had a chance to sail ONCE on the Prinsendam, literally her last sailing.  She was clearly my favorite of all the ships I've been fortunate to spend some time aboard.  There is  nothing like her that I know of now! 

On 10/14/2022 at 8:39 PM, RuthC said:

I understand precisely where you are coming from. I had barely decided that from that point forward I was going to concentrate on making Prinsendam by ship of choice, and would sail her every opportunity. I would choose that ship over any other, regardless of itinerary. 

On 10/15/2022 at 2:00 PM, prescottbob said:

Our  fav HAL ship also. Only spent 80 days plus on ‘her’ that included ‘her’ last month with HAL.

We just saw ‘her’ docked in Montreal 29/30 Sept. methinks date wise prior to boarding the Zaandam.

I posted the picture below in another thread. Hope it brings back some good memories.

We took Zaandam from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale in October. The other ship docked at Montreal Cruise Terminal at the same time as Zaandam was Amera, formerly HAL Prinsendam until she was sold to Phoenix Reisen in 2018 and subsequently renovated and renamed.

Amera (formerly HAL Prinsendam, Seabourn Sun, Royal Viking Sun) at Montreal Cruise Terminal. Photo taken during our sail away from Montreal (10/1/22). 

190358652_IMG_0784800x600-Copy.jpg.40d98a8bd669972d354dcc39119e9e07.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 12:00 PM, prescottbob said:

Our  fav HAL ship also. Only spent 80 days plus on ‘her’ that included ‘her’ last month with HAL.

We just saw ‘her’ docked in Montreal 29/30 Sept. methinks date wise prior to boarding the Zaandam.

Now re-named the Avera, by the current owner, she looked fabulous, at least exterior- wise. Looking at interior pictures from various sources ‘she’ looks even better inside.

We hope to do a cruise on ‘her’ again if we can. HAL really lost a gem when ‘she’ was sold off IMHO.

Be well.

Bob

Amera with an "m" 😉 It's a girl’s name of Hebrew origin, meaning “princess” and/or “treetop.”  Me thinks the Germans of Phoenix Seereisen had the first meaning in mind when they renamed the former Prinsendam, Seabourn Sun, and Royal Viking Sun

Amera_in_the_Kiel_canal_VIII.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dwc13 said:

I posted the picture below in another thread. Hope it brings back some good memories.

We took Zaandam from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale in October. The other ship docked at Montreal Cruise Terminal at the same time as Zaandam was Amera, formerly HAL Prinsendam until she was sold to Phoenix Reisen in 2018 and subsequently renovated and renamed.

Amera (formerly HAL Prinsendam, Seabourn Sun, Royal Viking Sun) at Montreal Cruise Terminal. Photo taken during our sail away from Montreal (10/1/22). 

190358652_IMG_0784800x600-Copy.jpg.40d98a8bd669972d354dcc39119e9e07.jpg

As lovely as ever. Just the wrong color hull and wrong graphics on her funnel.

• Like 3

DH and I were just discussing the Prinsendam and our wonderful Amazon Explorer cruise….Capt Gunnerson’s final voyage before retiring.  After our not so great coastal cruise on the Koningsdam last month we say “no” to Pinnacle Class ships.

HAL needs a small ship again!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Loreto said:

DH and I were just discussing the Prinsendam and our wonderful Amazon Explorer cruise….Capt Gunnerson’s final voyage before retiring.  After our not so great coastal cruise on the Koningsdam last month we say “no” to Pinnacle Class ships.

HAL needs a small ship again!

All with you.

It's a shame HAL (CCL) didn't order new ships designed around her, between the Vista and Signature ship orders. Especially before the Pinnacle Class. Is the goal to keep Seabourn small (new expedition ships), Carnival large and HAL in between with no overlap? Maybe they can bring bread and butter in on Pinnacle Class but still offer their "marketed" longer itineraries on new(er) smaller ships (<1200). I don't think they will have a problem selling out smaller ships, smaller ports and "re- rebranding" HAL even by offering both options. 

We did 2 Northern Europe cruises on her - one being the last cruise pre-pandemic. I really enjoyed being aboard. There was a port in Iceland that was usually a tender port but the sea was calm and the captain decided to take her in- with just a couple of feet to spare. It apparently was the largest ship to dock there and the captain was so excited! Sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam in February b/c we had to use a deposit before we lost it, and Azamara in August. I also love the Masdam- hate to go bigger than that.

Sandy

We were lucky enough to sail the Prinsendam 3 times, and she was truly our favorite. Her decor and layout were first class and the service was always impeccable. Such a loss for HAL and her fans when they sold her; her itineraries just can't be replicated anymore. I remember rumors on CC in 2019 that HAL was considering replacing her with another smaller ship. Does anyone else remember those? Now I doubt those will come to pass. 

For those who are missing the Prinsendam or wish they had a chance to sail her, vote with your feet and let HAL see there is still demand for the smaller ships. We are concentrating all of our future cruising on the remaining R class sisters, as I fear they are not long for this world and I want to enjoy them as long as they are with us. Did the same with the S class and Amsterdam/Rotterdam prior and when we lost them in 2020, I was so glad I had been intentional about only sailing them while they were still in the fleet. I personally refuse to sail the Pinnacle class until the time comes (hopefully many years from now) when there are no other smaller options. They will be around a lot longer than their smaller counterparts, and there will be plenty of time then. 

• Like 1