Carnival travel insurance - DON’T EVER BUY

jstrutton

30 minutes ago, Babr said:

The cruise line simply sells a policy with its brand on it. The policy is actually underwritten and administered by others.

The cruise line also provides a Cancel for Any Reason clause, at no additional cost, underwritten by Carnival.

(*Cancellation Fee Waiver Program non-insurance feature provided by Carnival Cruise Line)

32 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The cruise line also provides a Cancel for Any Reason clause, at no additional cost, underwritten by Carnival.

(*Cancellation Fee Waiver Program non-insurance feature provided by Carnival Cruise Line)

That is one of the advantages of cruise line sponsored plans, but it pays out in FCC, not cash (except for Holland America.) Third-party policies with this feature come with increased cost, as you pointed out, as well as time limits for purchase.

Throughout life, insurance is a massive loss for 99%+ of society. We pay thousands a year on auto, health, home, life, electronics, vacation, etc. Then the one time you have a $2000 claim in 5-10 years, you think it was such a lifesaver. Most people would be far better off taking that money they spend, investing, and self-insuring. The thought of people being responsible for their own savings or issues is basically hate speech in today's victim world.

Most people have no idea what they are buying or what they need. They see insurance and think it is a complete refund for your slightest inconvenience. Some do not cover pre-existing conditions. Some also have COVID restrictions. Buying for CFAR is probably the biggest waste. Most of those will get you 75% back of non-refundable fees. So think of paying hundreds to get back 60-65% of your cruise.

But still, I get it. There are scenarios that are high-risk. A healthy 30 year going to the Bahamas for a weekend is not the same as a 70-year-old with chronic health conditions going on a 28-day world cruise. Medical and air evac are the things that could bankrupt you. Catastrophic and unusual loss is what insurance should be for. Some people may already have international medical insurance and not know it. There are annual plans that could make more sense if you travel often. There are credit cards that cover some of these things too.

Then as you also see in the OP, some companies are just god-awful to deal with. Some are non-responsive. Some will do everything they can to find an exclusion. It's hilarious that people relate all of this to "peace of mind", regurgitating marketing for a process that is an overall joke.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 11:54 AM, jstrutton said:

I plan on contacting the SC insurance department for sure.  We had three claims, 1 for medical exam on ship, I for trip interruption and the last one for change of flights due to COVID.  The real issue they just aren’t replying at all. So waiting almost 4 months with no feedback on whether they accept or need something else.  The BBB complaints are basically the same they just never respond to any claims.  Who knows how long it will take, 3 months or 2 years. That really is the frustration piece.  

Four months with no response is crazy wrong.  You waited longer than I would have for file a poor claims practice complaint, but still it is a good next step.  I once had a claim denied because, while I indicated we were on a cruise, I did not indicate the country where the treatment happened.  I explained we were in open sea and asked what I should put.  They didn't know.  I told them I thought they were intentionally dragging their feet and my next call would be to the insurance department.  They paid.   

BTW, for a lot of "cancellation" coverage,  added cost for a change in flights would not be covered if the  original fare were applied to the new flight.   

To the OP - Sorry you are having such a challenge with your travel claims.

I think it is ALL insurance, though.  Just, yesterday, we, finally, got our last payment for a homeowner's (Farmers) claim from six months ago, and I had to chase it down.  Last week, I contacted our medical insurance (BCBS) because THEY processed our daughter's claim under my husband, and they were not interested in reprocessing.  And we have two separate outstanding travel insurance claims related to our oldest having covid and not being able to cruise AND having a flight canceled for four of us.  Global Generali keeps asking for the same things over and over, and we keep telling them we have already submitted the proof of covid positive test, flight cancellation email from the carrier, etc.  It's frustrating and EXHAUSTING to deal with them all.

2 hours ago, southbayer said:

I bought it for the heck of it, in case i needed to cancel at the last min... i'm now 21 days out, should i just cancel it.. Medical would only be now the only reason i would need it.. any recommendations ??

I don't think anyone really plans to trip and fall and break their leg on vacation, but if it happened to you while you were out of the country, would you prefer to have the insurance, or prefer to have saved like $100 by cancelling it before your cruise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southbayer said:

I bought it for the heck of it, in case i needed to cancel at the last min... i'm now 21 days out, should i just cancel it.. Medical would only be now the only reason i would need it.. any recommendations ??

If you are talking about the Carnival Vacation Protection plan I don't think you can cancel it once you buy it. They figure you have been using it ever since you bought it because if something came up to cause you to cancel your cruise you would have been able to file a claim.

If I am wrong someone please speak up. I haven't been able to cancel mine.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 11:24 AM, MississippiMom said:

To the OP - Sorry you are having such a challenge with your travel claims.

I think it is ALL insurance, though.  Just, yesterday, we, finally, got our last payment for a homeowner's (Farmers) claim from six months ago, and I had to chase it down.  Last week, I contacted our medical insurance (BCBS) because THEY processed our daughter's claim under my husband, and they were not interested in reprocessing.  And we have two separate outstanding travel insurance claims related to our oldest having covid and not being able to cruise AND having a flight canceled for four of us.  Global Generali keeps asking for the same things over and over, and we keep telling them we have already submitted the proof of covid positive test, flight cancellation email from the carrier, etc.  It's frustrating and EXHAUSTING to deal with them all.

They just try to outlast you and hope you give up and go away.

6 hours ago, knagl said:

I don't think anyone really plans to trip and fall and break their leg on vacation, but if it happened to you while you were out of the country, would you prefer to have the insurance, or prefer to have saved like $100 by cancelling it before your cruise?

8 hours ago, southbayer said:

there are medical only policies that can be significantly cheaper than full trip coverage. We use Geoblue. Their policies are dollars a day and cover any medical issue and medical evacuation.

13 hours ago, southbayer said:

Unless required for pre-existing medical waiver, there is no requirement to cover entire Trip Cost if all you want is the medical coverage on a single trip policy. Travel Insurance cost to you is based on the Trip Cost you set up front. 0 - $500, $501 - $1000, $1001 - $1500 are the thresholds where insurance companies set the pricing.

So, if you still want the $250K medical but are not concerned about the cancellation or other stuff, you can indicate the Trip Cost at $500, You still receive the full medical, you just reduced the reimbursement for Trip Delay, Trip Interruption coverages to the percentage of trip costs.

Myself? I claim a Trip Cost of $500. I still get the full medical. Washington State regulations allow me to still receive the pre-existing waiver, and I get Trip Delay and Trip Interruption up a max of 150% of my trip cost. All for $35 per person. I self-insure the rest. (Eat it if I need to cancel). A recent trip my flights were cancelled. I was rebooked for the next day. Trip Delay covered up to a max of $750 (150%) for hotel and meals. In todays climate it took about 4 months to be reimbursed but it all worked out.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:05 AM, Joebucks said:

Throughout life, insurance is a massive loss for 99%+ of society.

Of course it's a loss for the vast majority of people. That's the whole idea of insurance, shared risk. Everyone pays a little so the one person who needs emergency medical care and evacuation isn't stuck with a $50,000 bill.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Of course it's a loss for the vast majority of people. That's the whole idea of insurance, shared risk. Everyone pays a little so the one person who needs emergency medical care and evacuation isn't stuck with a $50,000 bill.

Yes, I believe that was the point.  Insurance against the unexpected with a high expense makes financial sense. But, self insuring for low cost expenses you can easily absorb also makes financial sense. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Yes, I believe that was the point.  Insurance against the unexpected with a high expense makes financial sense. But, self insuring for low cost expenses you can easily absorb also makes financial sense. 

True. If it was only the cost of your actual trip you were insuring, self insuring would make a lot of sense. But unless you're one of the lucky few who's health insurance is good enough to cover you overseas (Medicare doesn't), including medical evacuation, you have the tiny but very consequential chance of having a 5 or even 6 figure overseas medical bill. And how many of us can afford to self insure that?

• Like 1

I HATE insurance companies.  In my experience, insurance companies do anything and everything they can in the world to not pay...even when it is patently unethical and illegal.  After a decade where a decent part of my law practice involved either suing insurance companies for their failure to provide proper coverage and seeing the lengths they go to to avoid paying completely legitimate claims, I now pretty much only buy insurance when I am legally/contractually required to have it or when it would mean absolute financial ruin in the event that I didn't have it and there is a decent likelihood of something bad actually happening (e.g. home owner's insurance when I live in an area regularly hit by hurricanes). The policies are written to not cover your claims and the entire system set up to make recovery as painful and difficult as possible.   Also, certain rewards travel cards and memberships in certain organizations will cover many situations that travel insurance will cover.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I HATE insurance companies.  In my experience, insurance companies do anything and everything they can in the world to not pay...even when it is patently unethical and illegal.  After a decade where a decent part of my law practice involved either suing insurance companies for their failure to provide proper coverage and seeing the lengths they go to to avoid paying completely legitimate claims, I now pretty much only buy insurance when I am legally/contractually required to have it or when it would mean absolute financial ruin in the event that I didn't have it and there is a decent likelihood of something bad actually happening (e.g. home owner's insurance when I live in an area regularly hit by hurricanes). The policies are written to not cover your claims and the entire system set up to make recovery as painful and difficult as possible.   Also, certain rewards travel cards and memberships in certain organizations will cover many situations that travel insurance will cover.  

The travel benefits offered by credit cards are underwritten by those insurance companies you hate so you are not assured that the claims process will be any less onerous. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2022 at 8:53 AM, LatinaInTexas said:

Different strokes for different folks. Carnival cruise insurance met my needs perfectly. It was cheap and offered a  cancellation for any reason with 75% of cruise fare refunded in cruise credit.

The reason it works for me is because I book a paid cruise but Im always on the lookout for a comp MyVegas cruise to pop up. If one pops up while I already have a cruise booked I have a situation.

Case in point I had Horizon booked for August and a MyVegas comp cruise  popped up for the new MSC Seashore in a balcony about a month before sailing on Horizon.

I have wanted to cruise MSC for years, I have never stayed in a balcony, the itineraries were both somewhat similar with both having all new ports.

I cancelled the Horizon and sailed the Seashore without any huge penalty fees. Did my claim online and got notice in about 2 weeks that my refund in future cruise credit is waiting for me to use.

Carnivals insurance might not work for everyone and there are many other options but for my situation it couldn't have worked out any better.

We also got the Carnival Vacation Protection (administered by AON Affinity) for our Mediterranean Cruise last October mainly because of their provisions "to refund IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of your prepaid cruise vacation for covered reasons"; and " to  provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation -for ANY REASON, for your use toward a future cruise".

However, the people at AON and at Carnival Travel Services could not tell me categorically whether our pre- cruise days (4 in Rome) and post-cruise days (3 in Lisbon) would be covered, so I bought an annual insurance from another company. We are grateful though that we did not have to use/file any insurance claim.

With the annual insurance, we are covered during our Western Caribbean cruise in April-May from our homeport-Galveston.

• Like 1

I had a simple claim through Carnival insurance that took a while to settle. Eventually it was discovered that someone incorrectly said I missed my flight instead of the flight was cancelled. Once that got straightened out, I had my refund within the week. I’ll still use them in the future. 

Oh wow, I hate to hear about everyone having such a tough time.  We have booked third party (Travelguard) for years.  About 5 years ago we had a close relative who was unexpected admitted to the hospital with only about a 50% chance of survival a week before our cruise.  We canceled the cruise filled out the form and had a check in the mail in about 2 weeks (full refund).  It was so much easier than I thought it would be.  1 phone call and a few emails easy.

This past summer, I thought we were going to have to file another claim when my husband broke a bone a few weeks before our cruise and could no longer fly.  We were able to move the cruise to summer 23 and change insurance dates too!  I now veiw travel insurance as a small fee to ensure a great trip.

• Like 1