Unusual/unpopular opinions

Drew B 58

19 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

I don't get off the ship to buy a day pass at a resort to sit by a pool. I just don't get that logic. I have a pool on my ship with plenty of open seats. Plus I've already paid for my food and drinks. I feel pretty much the same way about taking a cab to a beach to pay for a longer. I don't get it.

There are some pretty great beaches in many locations - and very few cruise ship pools are that thrilling.  And even though I might have paid for a shipboard lunch, I find experiencing the ambience and food of a different place to sometimes be worth the cost.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 11:32 AM, ldubs said:

My likely  "most unpopular" opinion is those folks who are constantly bitching,  whining, & complaining should find something to do that they might actually enjoy.  

Unless they actually enjoy bitching, whining & complaining🤣

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

There are some pretty great beaches in many locations - and very few cruise ship pools are that thrilling.  And even though I might have paid for a shipboard lunch, I find experiencing the ambience and food of a different place to sometimes be worth the cost.

beaches = sandy

ship pool decks = not sandy

I hate sand; it's so...sandy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I do like to book tours with local guides to visit places away from the tourist areas.

Edited by Ilovesailaway
typo

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

beaches = sandy

I have a pool in my backyard that I can use 6 months a year , I do like ship pools when we are in port since there normally almost empty. I do try to hit at least one beach on my Caribbean cruises. 

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

beaches = sandy

I love your post. For me;

ship pool decks = chair hogs and crowds

beaches = sandy

I hate ship pool decks; there're so...peoplely 😉

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

I love your post. For me;

ship pool decks = chair hogs and crowds

beaches = sandy

I hate ship pool decks; there're so...peoplely 😉

I would just point out that this depends on the ship.  On most luxury lines there is plenty of room on the pool deck with no crowding or feeling like a sardine.  Even on the ship within a ship options (lines such as NCL and MSC) there are restricted decks that have plenty of room.  We just returned from the MSC Seashore where we were in their Yacht Club.  The private YC deck had well distanced loungers with thick comfy cushions and decent deck service.  It was so much better than going to most beaches (and we are very familiar with many beaches in the Caribbean) that we stayed on the ship when we were in several ports.  

As to beaches, in many parts of the world beaches also mean being bothered by vendors, hearing blasting music, paying high prices for lousy drinks/food, etc.  One can certainly pay to go to a decent resort where they can usually get decent loungers, food and drink.  But at what price?  We could sit in our plush lounger on the MSC Yacht Club's deck where we had unlimited drinks, a pool-side buffet/grill, great service, etc.  which was included in the cruise price.  It would be the same if in NCL's Haven area, Celebrity's Retreat area, or on just about any luxury cruise line.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I would just point out that this depends on the ship.  On most luxury lines there is plenty of room on the pool deck with no crowding or feeling like a sardine.  Even on the ship within a ship options (lines such as NCL and MSC) there are restricted decks that have plenty of room.  We just returned from the MSC Seashore where we were in their Yacht Club.  The private YC deck had well distanced loungers with thick comfy cushions and decent deck service.  It was so much better than going to most beaches (and we are very familiar with many beaches in the Caribbean) that we stayed on the ship when we were in several ports.  

As to beaches, in many parts of the world beaches also mean being bothered by vendors, hearing blasting music, paying high prices for lousy drinks/food, etc.  One can certainly pay to go to a decent resort where they can usually get decent loungers, food and drink.  But at what price?  We could sit in our plush lounger on the MSC Yacht Club's deck where we had unlimited drinks, a pool-side buffet/grill, great service, etc.  which was included in the cruise price.  It would be the same if in NCL's Haven area, Celebrity's Retreat area, or on just about any luxury cruise line.

Hank

And I would just point out most first basemen are not named 'Who". 😁

Chill Hank, it was just a joke paying homage to @cruisemom42's very funny post. 

Won’t cruise without a balcony….last trip was the first one with no flying fish 😞.  I prefer buffet but my better half prefers MDR.  We only use extra pay restaurants once or twice in 7-10 day cruises.  I don’t mind sitting down with strangers…just stay away from my food 😂.  Don’t find excursions exciting or worth it.  I can sit outside with friends or new friends drinking frozen drinks for hours.  Hate people but love meeting strangers…weird huh?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Love MSC yacht club and celebrity suites on edge class , but never saw yacht club outdoor area crowded like retreat area , also yacht club had a much larger menu and great music in there lounge every night, there private island had a really nice area and menu for yacht club. We sail on new celebrity beyond in a few weeks in aft sky suite , did penthouse on edge last year with move up. Celebrity suite perks are really nice but there upper level perks are outstanding.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i choose the cruise by price first, itinerary second.  I have done 4 Alaskan cruises because they were dirt cheap ( last one in 2022 was $50.00pp for 7 days for balcony).  I don't care if I have been to the ports before ( i will stay on ship and enjoy the emptiness). Although I will never do a mexican riviera cruise out of Los Angeles.  I don't get off the ship in any mexican ports on the west coast.  I just look forward to getting away, not driving, and staying in so so hotels.  

3 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

i choose the cruise by price first, itinerary second.  I have done 4 Alaskan cruises because they were dirt cheap ( last one in 2022 was $50.00pp for 7 days for balcony).  I don't care if I have been to the ports before ( i will stay on ship and enjoy the emptiness). Although I will never do a mexican riviera cruise out of Los Angeles.  I don't get off the ship in any mexican ports on the west coast.  I just look forward to getting away, not driving, and staying in so so hotels.  

I almost missed my ship in Encenada, damn Papa’s and Beers!  One and only time I was a dock runner!  I was young and stupid…

• Haha 1

I wouldn't care if a ship didn't have a pool, hot tubs, sun loungers, as I never use them, and don't find them an especially appealing feature.  But a sheltered walking/viewing area (promenade deck) and an open walking/viewing area (top deck) are great.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 3:23 PM, navybankerteacher said:

I am unexcited by pools (especially small shipboard pools - heavily populated by many beer drinkers) which lack sand.  

What? You have a problem with liquid litter boxes? 
But it seems from a later post you have no issue with the ools on the “ship within a ship.” Guess there’s no beer there. 

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I have done so many times in the past and will likely do so in the future.  Fly in same day as the cruise, that is.  

I could never do that…been stranded way too many times in airports.  I commend you….😂

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

What? You have a problem with liquid litter boxes? 
But it seems from a later post you have no issue with the ools on the “ship within a ship.” Guess there’s no beer there. 

I do not think I have ever posted anything related to “ools” (perhaps: pools) on a “ship within a ship” (which strikes me as a cheesy concept to begin with).

On 12/3/2022 at 10:23 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

As long as you are primarily interested in low cost - and like to stay on the ship anyway - why wouldn’t you do a Mexican riviera cruise out of Los Angeles?   What difference would it make where it went?

Edited by navybankerteacher

34 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I do not think I have ever posted anything related to “ools” (perhaps: pools) on a “ship within a ship” (which strikes me as a cheesy concept to begin with).

The reference to disliking polls full of beer drinkers reminded me of D1E6FCD6-243E-43E8-87C7-9C4CADBBC4CB.jpeg.f84816f15bb8342f5bda3c8449518f06.jpeg

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

I have done so many times in the past and will likely do so in the future.  Fly in same day as the cruise, that is.  

That is heresy around here!

image.jpeg.a396141174f20e0e6193d56853e5755b.jpeg

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Our chief weapon is surprise, surprise and fear, fear and surprise.

Our two weapons are fear and surprise, and ruthless efficiency....

😁

• Haha 2