What to expect when sailing on Thanksgiving

relmondcrsise

I would expect Thanksgiving to be celebrated on any "United States" cruise ie, Caribbean out of Florida, Western Mexico out of California, etc.

I might not expect it on a cruise out of Australia, or going to New Zeeland, or any Mediterranean

cruise. 

• Like 1

We've also sailed over Thanksgiving for the last 10+ years.  Even in Tahiti they had a turkey dinner on the menu.  Some ships were more decorated than others, usually something in the Piazza, buffet and dining rooms.  We're doing Hawaii again next month and expect pretty much the same.  The turkey dinner I've had a couple of times and it has been very good.  Other times I go with something else, depends on how I feel in the moment.

• Like 1

The best place to eat on Thanksgiving is at the buffet. You can sample a little of everything, not being limited to what they give you in the DR. 

The best thing is that I don't have to prepare it. 😉

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

will Princess have a special Thanksgiving Day 'Lunch' menu? - that's our typical 'big meal' of the day - EDIT - on Thanksgiving Day when on land

I haven't done Princess on Thanksgiving, but on HAL there was holiday food available in the buffet.  My friend who did Princess last year said the special food was in the MDR at dinner.  At home, we do the big lunch, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently on the Coral Princess cruise to PNG.  Today is Thanksgiving and the menu in the mdr does not have turkey as an option.  The pax are mostly Australian and they said about 40 Americans on board.  They are doing some kind of meet and greet for Americans and a Thanksgiving themed trivia but that is it.  I'm a little annoyed, it's not like Aussies never eat turkey, it's available year round at the supermarkets and mostly featured at Christmas. And the menu always has 5-6 options so they could have at least offered turkey as an option.  Maybe it will be in the buffet.

Thanksgiving is tomorrow. Tonight I made Walnut Pie. (It's like Pecan Pie but uses Walnuts because they are a major local crop.) I've been taking Walnut Pie to Thanksgiving with my wife's family forever. (We've been married for 50 years.) If I showed up without the pie I might get lynched. BTW: It's an awesome pie. 😁)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

Thanksgiving is tomorrow. Tonight I made Walnut Pie. (It's like Pecan Pie but uses Walnuts because they are a major local crop.) I've been taking Walnut Pie to Thanksgiving with my wife's family forever. (We've been married for 50 years.) If I showed up without the pie I might get lynched. BTW: It's an awesome pie. 😁)

I'll bet it beats Princess's pecan pie hands down.

(hard and crunchy) 😖

Enjoy.   

We sailed over T'giving last year on the Grand -- the cruise with only 179 (Yes, 1-7-9) passengers on board -- and they had a turkey dinner selection on the menu. No 'pageant' or staff dressed as 'pilgrims and native Americans' (thank God!) or any special focus on the holiday. Just another day at sea with the turkey dinner as an option. The did start to decorate for Christmas during late Friday night before return to port the next day on Saturday, though.

Edited by PRNole47

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

Recipe please 

26 minutes ago, KarmaCruisers said:

We’re currently ON the Sky..I’ll post the menu tonight (it’s formal night, so one MDR has lobster, the other has the “traditional” thanksgiving dinner)

I'd have to go to both to sample each. 😃

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

They also had pumpkin soup for a starter and pumpkin pie for dessert.  

And you thought though their pumpkin pie was great?

If so, they really must have changed their supply venders.  

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

And you thought though their pumpkin pie was great?

If so, they really must have changed their supply venders.  

The pumpkin pie was pretty good but I do prefer the ones they sell at Costco myself.  
The turkey and everything else was awesome.  

• Like 2

On 11/23/2022 at 11:49 PM, Thrak said:

I make a walnut pie also, but I also swap maple syrup for the Karo syrup!