Would this pool float/hammock be ok to use in the pools onboard?

Euby

Let me preface the question with a few things:  1) I am a larger sized person; 2) The sun and I do not get along, so I would use this in evening; and, 3) I've already searched on the HAL FAQs and couldn't find anything in regard to something like this.

A picture is below.  According to Amazon, the measurements are 52x55, but I'm sure that is when it is flat on the ground and not when someone's rear-end is weighing it down in the water.  I haven't bought it yet, since I'm not sure if it is ok for cruise ship pools.

image.png.b0bdc8024baaf5cdecf968709d37ea5a.png

• Like 1

I'm pretty certain the answer would be NO.  The pools are very small, and I've never seen any kind of personal flotation stuff (not even those skinny noodles) in a HAL pool.  This would be fine at Half Moon Cay, and possibly in the much larger pools at Amber Cove & Grand Turk if those ports are on your itinerary, but I don't see it being allowed on the ship.  Of course at those ports you won't be there during the evening - only during the blazing sunshine hours.

You could try calling HAL to see if they know, but keep in mind the person answering the phone may only have the most basic info HAL provides them vs all the correct answers.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

Just thinking about it, I have never seen anything in the pools, except people!  

DW mentioned that she seems to remember a notice at the pools about no lifeguards etc and she thinks that there is a mention on the notice about no devices, but cannot be certain.

However, I would be inclined to think that it would be a no-no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Euby said:

Let me preface the question with a few things:  1) I am a larger sized person; 2) The sun and I do not get along, so I would use this in evening; and, 3) I've already searched on the HAL FAQs and couldn't find anything in regard to something like this.

A picture is below.  According to Amazon, the measurements are 52x55, but I'm sure that is when it is flat on the ground and not when someone's rear-end is weighing it down in the water.  I haven't bought it yet, since I'm not sure if it is ok for cruise ship pools.

I have had one similar to this for many many years and it folds up small enough to pack in our suitcase to land vacations. We always get favorable comments on how great it seems and yes it is. I doubt you can use it on the ships but I would be interested in your reply from HAL. 

• Like 1

Although I don't use the pools on cruise ships, but I would go 99% certain the answer would be no.

If they were allowed, even 2 or 3 of those in the pool at a time (you wouldn't be the only one) would make a very small pool become less than tiny (and difficult to navigate around for others)

If you are visiting beaches though, it does look comfy!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Euby said:

No, no matter what size.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Euby said:

Do you know how large (er, small) a cruise ship pool is?

And that it is likely to be shared by others, regardless of the time?  

That is, if *you* are interested in swimming, chances are reasonably good that on a ship with some relatively large number of passengers, some others may well be interested in swimming as well?  Or they may show up after you are in the pool?  In the latter case, you might never even know that they left because there was "that" taking up space in the pool..."

And unless you and the float are completely motionless (unlikely), you will be "affecting" more of the "space" than you may realize.  And it's not just the exact dimensions.  Others aren't going to be immediately next to you and the float, so add at least a couple of feet in each direction...

(Would you actually want others one inch away from the edge of the float?)

It's difficult to consider this a serious question, actually.

GC

• Thanks 1

Although I have not seen a float of this size or nature, I have seen plenty of styrofoam or inflatable noodles used in the ship pools.  In fact, we are on the Noordam now, and noticed a swimmer in the covered pool using a foam noodle.  If you are considerate of other swimmers, and use a smaller device, it seems to be no problem, at least as far as I have witnessed.

• Like 2

How many posting here have used the pool on a HAL ship?  Show of hands. 🙋🏽‍♂️🙋🏼I’ve rarely seen anyone in the pool during the day except kids & that’s rare because most of the cruises we take have few or any kids onboard. Can’t remember ever seeing anyone in the pool in the evening. 
Maybe someone onboard now could post a photo of the pool rules that are posted on the wall near the pool area. That may provide some info on this question. 

Frequent pool users here, most recently on the Noordam a few weeks ago.  Both the Lido and Seaview pools were busy at times, but folks were polite and cognizant of those swimming laps.  And no, there is no verbiage or "rules" regarding floaties, only common sense.  The OP asked a polite question, and explained his situation.  It is the consensus here that the answer is no (if others are using the pool), but (imho), it shouldn't be a problem during quieter pool times.

20221005_100924.jpg

1 hour ago, Hobcat said:

How many posting here have used the pool on a HAL ship?  Show of hands. 🙋🏽‍♂️🙋🏼

I have used the pools on HAL, also on Chandris, NCL, Sitmar, RCL, Regency, Premier, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Azamara, Viking Ocean, Oceania, and MSC.

Do I qualify to answer the question?

Edited by Homosassa
Forgot Carnival, but then again I try to forget that Carnival lived down to my low expectations.
  • Like 3