Are onboard charges available on the TV and other ?'s

xray0111

Will onboard charges be available to see on the cabin TV?  Our phones will be turned off inside the terminal before boarding.

IF we have trouble with accessing the muster drill on the app can we just go directly  to the muster station and watch the video.  Our port arrival time is 11:00.  We don't mind waiting to walk the ship, go to the pool, eat. Etc.

Can we make our show reservations thru the app and when?

Do the phones in the cabins have a clock?  I hate waking up in the early AM not knowing what time it is and having to put on my glasses to look at the small dial.  

Sounds like I'm stressing over nothing but I'm not.  This is the "planner" in me.

Sailing on the Odyssey.

Thanks

It's your life and you do what makes you happy, no judgment, but almost everything is easier if you just leave your phone on (in airplane mode of course) and use the app onboard.

Yes, you can check your charges on the TV (easier/quicker on the app).

You can make reservations on the app as soon as you're connected to the ship wifi, so unless you get a signal from the terminal, you can't if your phones are off once you board.

Muster much easier with app; you can watch the videos before you board though.

Cabin phones probably have a clock... much easier to see on your own phone.

As a planner, you can also keep a calendar of your plans in the app.

Again, no judgment, just some food for thought in case you want to reconsider turning your phone off.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xray0111 said:

Will onboard charges be available to see on the cabin TV?  Our phones will be turned off inside the terminal before boarding. 

IF we have trouble with accessing the muster drill on the app can we just go directly  to the muster station and watch the video.  Our port arrival time is 11:00.  We don't mind waiting to walk the ship, go to the pool, eat. Etc.

Can we make our show reservations thru the app and when?

Do the phones in the cabins have a clock?  I hate waking up in the early AM not knowing what time it is and having to put on my glasses to look at the small dial.  

Sounds like I'm stressing over nothing but I'm not.  This is the "planner" in me.

Sailing on the Odyssey.

Thanks

Yes, you will be able to see your on-board charges on the TV.

You can't watch the muster drill at the muster station, it must be done on the app or you can watch it in your stateroom. You need to go to the muster station as well to check in.

The phones in the cabins have clocks on them. I don't recall them being illuminated so you may need some sort of light to see the time.

I understand wanting to disconnect and turn off phones but you might want to wait until you are actually in your cabin to do this.   Cabins usually ready around 1 pm.

I suggest you do your check in then once onboard book your entertainment thru vthe app, watch thr muster video then go to your muster drill station to check in.    

Then turn off your phones.

Yes, the cabin phones do tell time but not illuminated to easily see.   If phones are off. Maybe put TV on to check time.

You cannot see your charges on ALL ships, but yes on Odyssey you can.  Vision class for example does not have this option.  I'm not sure about Radiance class, but i think it also doesn't have it (find out in two weeks).  My DH takes a cheap Casio digital watch with us.  Never rely on your phone while on a cruise.  You can leave your phone on, just in airplane mode so you can use the app.  Why would you have trouble accessing the muster drill on the app?  If you do, then everyone is.   

23 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

As others said, I would definitely suggest just putting the phone on airplane mode, and still using it for the app access and you can keep it nearby at night for time checks, also.   

Yeah... I totally get wanting to be "unplugged" for Vacation, but for me all that means is that I put my phone into airplane mode, turn on Wi-Fi for the shipboard app and don't buy the internet plan.

I still own a "point and shoot" digital camera, but I haven't used it for years.  The camera on my iPhone is way better.

I still own a battery powered travel alarm clock, but using my iPhone is way easier.

I like to use both the paper cruise compass schedule and the app.

Since I don't have internet access, I tend not to use my phone onboard that much—I'm pretty much 'unplugged', even though I still physically have the device in my possession.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I'm curious about when the change was made so that you can't see your charges on the TV. I have been able to see my charges on EVERY RCI ship I have been on including Radiance and Explorer, the two mentioned in this thread.

Agree with @Cigar King that the interactive TV option to view our onboard accounts was not available on the Explorer on our  March 2022 B2B cruise. We've cruised on the Explorer three other times, 2009 and 2016 (B2B) but can't remember if there was the interactive TV option then.

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I'm curious about when the change was made so that you can't see your charges on the TV.

No idea.  I am pretty sure it was available on the Harmony and Vision, which we also did this year.  I was surprised it was not on Explorer, but since it was in the app it was not a big deal.

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree with @Cigar King that the interactive TV option to view our onboard accounts was not available on the Explorer on our  March 2022 B2B cruise. We've cruised on the Explorer three other times, 2009 and 2016 (B2B) but can't remember if there was the interactive TV option then.

22 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

The TV option is disappearing on all ships.  Don't count on it.

I could see my account on my first ever cruise - Explorer 2002.

The only ships that didn't have this function were Sovereign class and Vision class.  (and Empress, of course)

I understand that they want everyone to migrate to the app, but I can't believe that they would disable an existing function.  😮 

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

The only ships that didn't have this function were Sovereign class and Vision class.  (and Empress, of course)

I understand that they want everyone to migrate to the app, but I can't believe that they would disable an existing function.  😮 

It wasn't available on Radiance last week.  It was my first time on anything other 

than Freedom and just thought it was probably normal for this class.  If they've taken it away when it used to be available, I agree that's really odd.  

Be nice to me when I admit that I thought ship wifi was tied to cell data usage onboard.  We have no plans of getting the internet package.  Some have said they had trouble at the port accessing the ships WIFI while waiting to board to do the drill.  Light..I may just take a small flashlight and place it by my cpap or buy a watch with a lighted dial.  Mainly I was looking for plan B alternatives (which I failed to make clear in my original post).

Thanks for the help, I appreciate all the replies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xray0111 said:

Some have said they had trouble at the port accessing the ships WIFI while waiting to board to do the drill.

That's true - getting the ship's wifi signal in the terminal is iffy in some locations. But, you can view and get credit for watching the muster video on cell signal or other wifi BEFORE (by a few hours) you ever get on the ship. You don't need to rush to view the videos - just do it after you get on board and have a good ship wifi signal (while waiting for cabins to become available).

From another planner: 

- It was just me and my husband on our recent cruise.  We used our phones for the app but not communication -- we left one another sticky notes in the cabin, and that worked fine.  If we'd been with the whole family, that might not've been enough.  We didn't carry our phones around the ship often; we did carry them off the ship, but we never even took them off airplane mode.  

- On our recent cruise, we could not view accounts on our TV, but we could see them on our phone app any time AND on the next-to-last-evening our cabin steward left a print-out on our bed.  

- No clocks in the cabin.  I brought the battery-powered alarm clock that I use all the time at home.  We had an inside cabin, and we left the TV on the forward deck camera as we slept every night -- so we could see whether the sun was up yet, whether it was raining.  Worked great.  

- Watching the safety video on the app is super easy, and you can do it on your embarkation day before you enter the terminal -- you'll almost certainly have some down time.  You must go to your muster station in person.  

- I didn't make any show reservations, and I was able to get a seat anyway.  Admittedly, we sailed off-season, and things weren't as busy as they could've been.  I arrived (alone) a minute late to the ice show (which I love) and was able to get a single front-row seat.  

6 hours ago, xray0111 said:

Be nice to me when I admit that I thought ship wifi was tied to cell data usage onboard. 

No judgement:  Our recent cruise was our first in a decade, and we were not familiar with the app -- we thought the same thing, but no.  You can use the app without the internet package.  

Since, like me, you don't seem to be super-techy, take a minute before you leave home and learn how to put your phone on "airplane mode" -- I'm sure you can watch a You Tube video that'll show you how.  

The app is useful.  I do like being able to view the dinner menus from our room.  

If you have trouble getting the app to work with the ship's wifi, ask your cabin steward for help -- those guys really know everything.

19 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I'm curious about when the change was made so that you can't see your charges on the TV. I have been able to see my charges on EVERY RCI ship I have been on including Radiance and Explorer, the two mentioned in this thread.

I suspect that once they started putting this info on the app, they didn't want to support the TV account as well.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

On 10/23/2022 at 9:08 PM, Merion_Mom said:

has not been available on Jewel or Radiance.