Onboard health protocols?

coldflame

Howdy folks,

After a long (for us) hiatus just got the cruising bug again. Just saw on Royal's pre-boarding protocols are minimal/gone (hooray for that!). But could not find any info on their site f they're still segregating PAX onboard according to their vax status, masking, etc. For anyone who's traveled recently out of a US port, what should we expect in term of experience aboard (exclusively asking about health protocols, if any). TIA.

Was on Allure last week.  Cruising is back to normal.  A few people and crew wore masks and other than the washing stations outside of the Windjammer and other locations around the ship nothing was different than when I last cruised in February, 2020.

• Like 3

Since March we haven't seen any visible measures on-board.

Of course now you don't need to have a test for most of shorter (less than 9 days) cruises, and if one need a test it is just a photo of hometest

• Like 1

No obvious COVID protocols anymore.  I've cruised multiple times since January, and the protocols have eased over that period of time.  I stick to my own protocol, and several of the people I cruise with do, too. 

We don't get on crowded elevators, and if we are on and it gets crowded, we get off.

I wear a mask on elevators, the theater, and in the Windjammer except when I'm eating.  I also use my own and the ship's hand sanitizer frequently.  You're basically on your own for health protocols.  I'm on day 8 of a 9 night cruise, and I tested myself today.  Negative results, so no infection from airports, restaurants, hotel, shuttle, and ship.

• Like 3

On 10/27/2022 at 8:21 PM, pcur said:

No obvious COVID protocols anymore.  I've cruised multiple times since January, and the protocols have eased over that period of time.  I stick to my own protocol, and several of the people I cruise with do, too. 

We don't get on crowded elevators, and if we are on and it gets crowded, we get off.

I wear a mask on elevators, the theater, and in the Windjammer except when I'm eating.  I also use my own and the ship's hand sanitizer frequently.  You're basically on your own for health protocols.  I'm on day 8 of a 9 night cruise, and I tested myself today.  Negative results, so no infection from airports, restaurants, hotel, shuttle, and ship.

Yes you can very much manage your own risk profile here.  I personally find it reassuring to be wearing an N95 mask in a packed elevator or in crowds.    The lines will by default seat you at large shared tables in the MDR- you can ask to be moved.  For some reason the MDR /MTD is utterly mobbed early the first night- tables for two are in short supply- but usually sorts itself out after that.  If it all feels too crowded, you can usually grab a meal in the buffet and find a table on the pool deck.  Some ships offer more outdoor dining choices- possibly not the best on a chilly ocean crossing but ideal when bobbing off of Mexico 🙂 

• Like 1

On Voyager a few weeks ago, less than half the crew was masked and few passengers.  During the All-Access tour we took, they pretty much told us they no longer had special quarantine decks and if guests test positive with no serious symptoms, they are asked to self-quarantine.  We did see a few packed elevators at peak times, and shows were 75% or more filled, but other than that, it felt very un-crowded.  

On 10/27/2022 at 9:21 PM, pcur said:

Your protocols are exactly what I do too.  I will wear my mask in the same circumstances as you.

I cruise on Explorer November 6th for 14 nights (b2b).  I have just recovered from Covid - got it for the first time 2 weeks ago, and I don't want it again!

• Like 2

Last week on Allure it was optional for crew.  Had one waiter that wore one, assistant did not.  Second cruise neither did.  Occasional crew member did - including young lady handling towel station by the pool.  Several cleaning tables in Windjammer did.  This was our 15th cruise since restart and saw the fewest masks.  And elevators were pretty packed.

On 10/27/2022 at 3:43 PM, coldflame said:

Howdy folks, After a long (for us) hiatus just got the cruising bug again. Just saw on Royal's pre-boarding protocols are minimal/gone (hooray for that!). But could not find any info on their site f they're still segregating PAX onboard according to their vax status, masking, etc. For anyone who's traveled recently out of a US port, what should we expect in term of experience aboard (exclusively asking about health protocols, if any). TIA.

Nope. All of the onboard covid protocols have been removed. Vax'ed/Unvax'ed are sitting shoulder to shoulder in the theater and at dinner. Very different than the early days of the restart. 

If your favorite crew member starts wearing a mask on Day 4, likely that they had close contact with someone testing positive. 

Edited by BirdTravels

13 hours ago, ckrobyn said:

Your protocols are exactly what I do too.  I will wear my mask in the same circumstances as you.

I cruise on Explorer November 6th for 14 nights (b2b).  I have just recovered from Covid - got it for the first time 2 weeks ago, and I don't want it again!

So sorry to hear you had COVID. 

I know the protocols you and I follow mostly work.  I had COVID in Jan/Feb 2020, before they even had testing for it.  I only found out because I asked for an antigen test with the annual blood tests about 3 months ago.  Having been infected with the virus adds another boost to one's immunities.

Just keep on, keeping on...................

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jared2 said:

Does anyone know if the choice about masking is up to the individual crew member, or is there some sort of pattern or rule to which crew members need to wear them?

We learned last week that the option is up to the individual. 

M

OP - no protocols at all.  Back to  most pre-Covid procedures with the exception of some staff who want to wear a mask.  Dining tables (especially those for 2) are just inches apart from each other, elevators are packed, shows at capacity, passengers in tight lines around the ship.  Those not vaxed are encouraged to wear a mask. 

M

On 10/27/2022 at 4:27 PM, Tatka said:

Since March we haven't seen any visible measures on-board.

Of course now you don't need to have a test for most of shorter (less than 9 days) cruises, and if one need a test it is just a photo of hometest

Not to be nit picky, okay, I'll pick a tiny bit.  It's actually less than 10 days (9 days or less) so a 9 day cruise does not require testing but 10 days does.

Anyone know about ship excursions?  If you take one and someone on the excursion goes to medical as they are not well and they test positive for covid, are they still going to quarantine everyone on that excursion  and test them?

23 hours ago, rudeney said:

On Voyager a few weeks ago, less than half the crew was masked and few passengers.  During the All-Access tour we took, they pretty much told us they no longer had special quarantine decks and if guests test positive with no serious symptoms, they are asked to self-quarantine.  We did see a few packed elevators at peak times, and shows were 75% or more filled, but other than that, it felt very un-crowded.  

All crew are wearing masks this week. Our RA said they've had an uptick the last two weeks. Each and every crew is fully masked.

8 hours ago, Smellytoes said:

I’m on Voyager right now.  All crew are masked and most double masked

This is great news - if there are no crew, there is no cruise.  Masks are a good idea when cases are on the rise.

• Like 1