The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday October 28th, 2022

richwmn

14 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Had an unplanned doctor visit yesterday for an infection around my lips and a followup with my Radiation Oncologist this morning

@rafinmd Reading today's posts, I found that I'd read right past your morning mention of your medical concern. Sorry for not acknowledging it sooner. I hope your doctor and oncologist could offer some quick relief. With my 🙏prayers🙏,

-Melisa 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@rafinmd Reading today's posts, I found that I'd read right past your morning mention of your medical concern. Sorry for not acknowledging it sooner. I hope your doctor and oncologist could offer some quick relief. With my 🙏prayers🙏,

-Melisa 

Actually, no big deal.  The issue around my lips is about the equivalent of a severe case of chapped lips and I picked  up a prescription this afternoon,  He indicated the medicine should take about 2-3 weeks for complete results.  By that time I'll be on the Eurodam.  The Radiation Oncologist indicated there was no need for future visits.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Actually, no big deal.  The issue around my lips is about the equivalent of a severe case of chapped lips and I picked  up a prescription this afternoon,  He indicated the medicine should take about 2-3 weeks for complete results.  By that time I'll be on the Eurodam.  The Radiation Oncologist indicated there was no need for future visits.

Roy

🌺🌺🌺🌺

My Dear Roy,

So happy all is well with you!!!! I have been thinking of you all day! 
Con grates on the Oncologist report and glad the antibiotic ointment for your lips will be all needed! I would see patients on occasion where they would have a deficiency in Zinc and with B vitamins and would prescribe a prescription ointment!! 
Looking so forward to your cruise 🚢 Roy and looking forward to your photos!

Mahalo from Maui and a Goodnite to you!

🌺Denise☺️

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

IGood evening. It's been a long, busy day.  One of the staff from the rehab hospital picked DH up about 11 am, and we headed out in the pouring rain.  I knew about where the hospital was, but I was glad I could follow the van.we arrived about noon, and the fun began.  

DH was taken straight to his room, where the nurses began checking him in.  While they got him settled, I answered the usual questions --again.  They   changed the bandages and did an exam.  We met with the pharmacist and the case manager.  He will begin three PT sessions a day tomorrow.    I left about 2 pm and even with a stop at the grocery store, made it home 30 monut3s before the rain began again.  I was busy this afternoon unpacking my stuff and getti g the bedroom and  bathroom back to normal.  Now,I'm watching the World Series.

@richwmn  Rich, congratulations on reaching 5 star status.

9 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

We found out that there were abnormalities  on the nuclear stress test and DH will have an angiogram/cardiac catheterization  procedure Tuesday. He suspected  as much and we will go forward  from here. Thanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers.

Terry, wishing your DH the very best Tuesday as he undergoes the angiogram.

8 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Finally back home from the hospital.  My DB is in good spirits and eating well.   He liked the M&M shortbread cookies I brought him.   They still have no results from the culture of his knee implant area.   We had a nice visit even though we had a couple of interruptions.  DSIL is worried that he is not able to sit up on the edge of his bed yet and I agree, it bodes for a rough recovery to get back on his feet. 

Today is a gorgeous day.   Especially after a late night watching the Ravens beat the Buccaneers.   That always puts a spring in my step.   

Most of my packing is done for the cold weather clothing to go out by Fedex.    Shoes and all.  Have to add new socks I bought and a couple little things.  I did a trial fill down the basement where my luggage and cruise specific clothes are stashed.   When we get the word about pick up I will unload it and repack it upstairs as it will be really heavy.   

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.   I am glad several others mentioned the Pooh connection because I thought the same thing.  I like chocolate but it isn't my favorite for dessert or a snack.   I still have a few stuffed animals on a bed at the cabin including my Zippy monkey circa 1950s.   DF loves sushi and we dined at Nami Sushi on the NS since there aren't a lot of sushi places around here.  The cocktail looks tasty as does the Rochioli which I still have a few in the cellar.  When I retired we cut back on our wine ordering and this one hit the chopping block.   @StLouisCruisers, @HAL4NOW and @Quartzsite Cruiserthank you for the photos of La Serena.   We are going to be there next January 19th.   I am glad it is a city with things to do in walking distance as we don't have anything booked to do there yet.   

Thanks @rafinmdfor the Daily Care and Celebration reports.  It seems the top list is growing again.  Prayers for all needing them especially Lenda with your husband's recovery and @kazu Prayers for your DBIL who is now hospitalized. I hope you have an easy flight to Spain.   Have a wonderful Friday!   

Please urge your DB to make ievery effort, no matter how tough, to move his legs as much as possible since it aides healing.  Not walking or even sitting as much as possible between surgeries, is one of the reasons DH is in long term rehab.

8 hours ago, kazu said:

Hi everyone!

Checking in from Pearson (Toronto) airport.  Going to see if I can catch up between my short layover here and the one in Montreal.

Have to say that the guy at Aeroplan gave me good advice.  Security treats ashes very seriously.  they had to go in a special bin and right in the centre of it.  Glad I called but it is a PITA having this extra bag.

travelling solo is complicated - you can’t save your seat in the lounge if you want to use the facilities as you have to lug your carry on’s with you since there is no one to watch it.

After the guy warned me on lost luggage yesterday I overdid it by packing some clothes for Barcelona in case.  On the way home, it will probably be checked -  nothing to worry about 😉 

Jacqui, wishing you a safe, smooth and on time flight to Spain.             

6 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Greetings from the Hudson River heading back toNYC. Will be doing last leg of transit into city u deftness cover of night!  Today was our visit        to West Point, which was very abbreviated,  because of a bus breakdown   on the way to pick us up.  Understandable, but very disappointing, nonetheless.     

iam looking even more forward to my TWO cruises already booked on BHB’s for 2023.  Glad I tried River cruising, so I can more completely enjoy HAL.

My step-son is back in hospital for an infection.  Think this is part of what has been him starting on the road to recovery.  Still no pathology reports, which is troubling to say the least.

Fly back to Denver tomorrow and then home on Monday. It is great to travel ,but I will feel better when I get back to the Western Slope of Colorado!

Have a great rest of the day, everyone.  Prayers for all.

Safe travels home.  I hope they get your step son's infection under control.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

First I read as much Daily until I have to go somewhere, and then I read what I haven't read after I get done with work, by then I have forgotten everything I have read, and then I go back and read them backwards.  By the time I go to bed, not sure if I am coming or going....

so

@rafinmd

Glad that you can be remedied with the prescription.

@StLouisCruisersI just love that Sadie.  If i was a dog person (no cats at all) she is the perfect dog.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I hope that all went well with your DH's transfer.

@bennybearAs usual I love your pictures, beautiful swan.

@travelnapI loved your chocolate pun post today.  So, sweet.

@Copper10-8 Great chocolate memes!

@richwmnHurrray for your points, I'm not sure what they are, or how they help you, but it sounds good.

@HAL4NOWIf I was a dog with puppies to care for , I would be amongst the religious statues.  How astute for you to spot those fur babies.

When we were on our last cruise, I met a vet who served both in the Navy and in the Coast Guard.  She was stationed on Liberty at the time of the rededication, and she was the contact person for Ronald and Nancy Reagan.  Their chauffer called her to verify the address to an Italian restaurant, and she asked why they were picking that particular restaurant, I cant remember the meal that Nancy was looking for, but it was what my new friend was making that night.  She invited the President over for dinner, and he and Nancy showed up at her apartment and she served dinner to them, they stayed until 2 in the morning, talking, being normal people and playing with her kids.

When we came back to the US in 1963, our Cunard ship ran into a sail boat in the fog in the harbor.  The ship stopped suddenly!  The sail boat sailors were uninjured and rescued from the water(the sail boat was toast) ,  and when the fog lifted , my Dad saw Lady Liberty and said, "we're home.", and I immediately threw up.  (it was because of the ship's sudden stop).  We did not live far from NYC, but since Dad worked there, we never went there, so when I was a sophomore in high school my best friend's dad treated the two of us to a day in the city.  He said I could choose the whole day, we started with the trip to see the Statue of Liberty,  had lunch at the Russian tea room, went to the top of the Empire State Building, and we had dinner at Rockefeller Plaza watching the skaters on the ice.  It is a day that I will never forget, but that is the one and only time I actually went to the Statue of Liberty.

Well, I've been nagging you all for months to support your local art, and today I stepped up to the plate, and became a season ticket holder for my very own county's Symphony.  They perform at a college that is less than a mile from my house.  There is one concert I cant go to, but I am pretty sure I can give those tickets away.  I was expecting an email confirmation from them, but have not received that yet.  If we dont get it over the weekend, I will call them again on Monday.  The people who take the orders work from home, and the husband was filling in for his wife, while she was out shopping.  Who knows what happened.

h8128EB9A

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Frustrating day. Drove 30 minutes for a VA bloodwork. There was ONE person in the entire lab. She told us she didn't have us in her system.  I showed her our VA paperwork. She said she did NOT have us listed and we'd have to sign in as a walk in. 2 hours later... she told us she was full and no walk-ins accepted!!! I was spitting mad! I called VA and spoke to an advocate. She tried twice calling the diagnostic lab and no one answered. Finally changed my sweet husband's bloodwork on Tuesday in another location.  I'm so so mad! The VA has been put on notice for not attending to our veterans compensation programs. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Frustrating day. Drove 30 minutes for a VA bloodwork. There was ONE person in the entire lab. She told us she didn't have us in her system.  I showed her our VA paperwork. She said she did NOT have us listed and we'd have to sign in as a walk in. 2 hours later... she told us she was full and no walk-ins accepted!!! I was spitting mad! I called VA and spoke to an advocate. She tried twice calling the diagnostic lab and no one answered. Finally changed my sweet husband's bloodwork on Tuesday in another location.  I'm so so mad! The VA has been put on notice for not attending to our veterans compensation programs. 

Joy, that is no way to treat any patient, much less a veteran.  I would be angry too. I hope the rest of the appointments go better.

When we first moved here in 1999, DH used the clinic at the VA Hospital in Waco.  He received very good care there, but had to stop using them because of one requirement.  They insisted he would have to come in every six months.  We were traveling a lot between his work, traveling in our motohome and cruising.  It was impossible to guarantee he could make an appointment that often.  Years later, he wanted a quick appointment at a VA clinic in Blythe for something minor, and was told he would first have to be established with a doctor at a VA hospital further away than was practical.  If he went to the clinic in Yuma, he'd first have to go to the VA hospital in Tucson.  That was the last time he tried the VA.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for the Daily and the Holland America  Line fleet locations.

Good quote today, always have some chocolate in the house.

It's 22 C  here today, after a few cool wet days.

@rafinmd hope that the infection quickly clears.

@smitty34877 best wishes to your DH for a successful procedure.

@richwmn  Rich, Congratulations on becoming a 5 star Mariner.

@aliaschief thanks for sharing photos of your river cruise.

@Quartzsite Cruiser hope that your DH has now been transferred to rehab.

@grapau27 belated birthday wishes, did your mates/friends take you out for a celebratory drink?

Best wishes to all on the care list.

Thank you for your good wishes.

With my arthritis I haven't played golf for several years so lost contact with my golfing buddies at the golf club.

I do not drink unless I am out for a meal with Pauline.

We spend all our free time together.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Excellent news Roy especially from your radiation oncologist.

Graham.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm sorry to hear what you both experienced Joy.

It is very frustrating and annoying and even more so for a respected veteran.

Best wishes for an excellent experience on Tuesday at a different location.

Graham 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Well this is great news, Roy! A reason to celebrate!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

IGood evening. It's been a long, busy day.  One of the staff from the rehab hospital picked DH up about 11 am, and we headed out in the pouring rain.  I knew about where the hospital was, but I was glad I could follow the van.we arrived about noon, and the fun began.  

DH was taken straight to his room, where the nurses began checking him in.  While they got him settled, I answered the usual questions --again.  They   changed the bandages and did an exam.  We met with the pharmacist and the case manager.  He will begin three PT sessions a day tomorrow.    I left about 2 pm and even with a stop at the grocery store, made it home 30 monut3s before the rain began again.  I was busy this afternoon unpacking my stuff and getti g the bedroom and  bathroom back to normal.  Now,I'm watching the World Series.

@richwmn  Rich, congratulations on reaching 5 star status.

Terry, wishing your DH the very best Tuesday as he undergoes the angiogram.

Please urge your DB to make ievery effort, no matter how tough, to move his legs as much as possible since it aides healing.  Not walking or even sitting as much as possible between surgeries, is one of the reasons DH is in long term rehab.

Jacqui, wishing you a safe, smooth and on time flight to Spain.             

Safe travels home.  I hope they get your step son's infection under control.

Lenda

Lenda

I am glad you are home & Steve is getting settled. Love the idea of three PT sessions a day. Hope he doesn’t experience too much pain or discomfort. 

My patella fracture was nothing in comparison to what Steve is dealing with, but I know how much I benefitted from forcing myself through the pain and discomfort. And once I started to see the improvements myself, that helped motivate me. 

Hope you take a bit of time to relax. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Joy, I am so sorry that you and Allen were treated that way. There is no excuse.

I do know that the VA is still trying to staff up after the horrendous budget cuts from a few years ago. But that just doesn’t excuse the treatment you encountered.  Hopefully the advocate can make sure no one else has to go through what you did. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

One of the staff from the rehab hospital picked DH up about 11 am, and we headed out in the pouring rain...We arrived about noon, and the fun began.  

DH was taken straight to his room, where the nurses began checking him in. 

...I left about 2 pm and even with a stop at the grocery store, made it home 30 minutes before the rain began again.

@Quartzsite Cruiser So glad the rainy transfer AND your trip home went well. Now, please take care of yourself as the rehab staff takes care of your DH.

11 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Frustrating day. Drove 30 minutes for a VA bloodwork. There was ONE person in the entire lab. She told us she didn't have us in her system.  I showed her our VA paperwork. She said she did NOT have us listed and we'd have to sign in as a walk in. 2 hours later... she told us she was full and no walk-ins accepted!!! I was spitting mad! I called VA and spoke to an advocate. She tried twice calling the diagnostic lab and no one answered. Finally changed my sweet husband's bloodwork on Tuesday in another location.  I'm so so mad! The VA has been put on notice...

@Seasick Sailor What horrible treatment (or, actually, DENIAL of treatment)! I hope the VA removes this lab from its facilities list.

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser So glad the rainy transfer AND your trip home went well. Now, please take care of yourself as the rehab staff takes care of your DH.

@Seasick Sailor What horrible treatment (or, actually, DENIAL of treatment)! I hope the VA removes this lab from its facilities list.

Ditto to both of you!❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1