For those who are considering other cruise lines.

Wishing on a star

Just now, Kay S said:

The one poster you seem to have in mind hasn't been here in awhile.  I think he's too busy having fun elsewhere.

Is Cruise Critic a place for open discussion or is it only for singing the praises of a given line?  

I'm not singing praises, nor am I overly critical, like some.  I say make the best of it and enjoy yourself.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Is Cruise Critic a place for open discussion or is it only for singing the praises of a given line?  

That is simple. I come to the Princess forum on Cruise Critic to read about Princess. Not Virgin, not Carnival, not NCL, etc. If I wanted to read about those cruise lines, I'd go on those boards. 

Just like if you went to your favorite opera and instead ended up having to listen to a rock concert, I think you would have a complaint or two. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, SantaFeFan said:

That is simple. I come to the Princess forum on Cruise Critic to read about Princess, not Virgin, not Carnival, not NCL, etc. If I wanted to read about those cruise lines, I'd go on those boards. 

That is a valid point, but there are occasionally posters who come here and ask about the differences between lines (often Princess vs. Carnival.)  However, if someone has a bad experience on a Princess cruise, is it against the rules of Cruise Critic to post that on this forum?  My point is that both good and bad experiences are useful knowledge for readers.  

BTW, we all know this is a not-so-veiled jab at one particular poster who decided to leave Princess and hasn't been back in awhile.  Continuing to call attention to him prolongs his message here on this forum, no? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Kay S said:

That is a valid point, but there are occasionally posters who come here and ask about the differences between lines (often Princess vs. Carnival.)  However, if someone has a bad experience on a Princess cruise, is it against the rules of Cruise Critic to post that on this forum?  My point is that both good and bad experiences are useful knowledge for readers.  

BTW, we all know this is a not-so-veiled jab at one particular poster who decided to leave Princess and hasn't been back in awhile.  Continuing to call attention to him prolongs his message here on this forum, no? 

I don't mind comparison comments about other lines, but when the other line becomes the focus, that should be taken to that line's forum.

And I have no idea what person you are referring to. That is a soap opera I am not interested in. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I have no idea who you refer to.  There are several that have posted they are done with Princess, but continue to post/complain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

I think I would really like Viking!

It might not have the limited 'vibe' that Princess has, but the overall ship, food, and experience, sounds super nice..   

The better food, service and experience do come with a price.

well, don't sell us short. Let us know how it was

• Like 3

On Enchanted Princess now. Glad to feel the familiar.

only 1700 passengers on this Halloween week. Crew went over the top decorating for Halloween. 
crew is happy, friendly, kind and everyone is bending over backwards to please us.

a couple of inexperienced staff in Capri, but excellent service in Amalfi, & Sur le mer, so far.

embarkation was a breeze. Arrived by 12:30 and eating lunch- no line  up. Green lane- looked at app on my cell phone & passports.

gave us medallions. Took photo and it was faster then ever.

we used yellow cabs.

could not get my account to show on app- 2 seconds with guy in Internet cafe straightened that out.

1request with steward & 1 call to room service got mini bar exchanged.

food is ok, not complaining, 

no experience with Virgin or Viking, but I have sailed on other lines like Celebrity, HAL, RCL…

and usually choose by ports & price.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kay S said:

The one poster you seem to have in mind hasn't been here in awhile.  I think he's too busy having fun elsewhere.

Paw in the air!

Paw in the air!

2 .. singing praises.

What do I win?

Cheap Ship Prizes?

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

So why is it necessary to criticize Princess on a Princess forum?

Because the place to discuss the line is on the forum dedicated to it.  Necessary?  No.  But allowed? Yes.  As I have suggested before, anyone who does not want to read anything less than favorable about Princess has the option of ignoring the offensive (to him or her) member.  Ignore button is available by clicking the profile picture.  

some folks need validation that Princess is indeed the line for them.  Like when you buy a new car.  You want validation that you have made the right decision and are interested in how other models are performing. 

Those who don't like what some people post here with regards to comparing Princess to other lines can just scroll on by.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

I have no idea who you refer to.  There are several that have posted they are done with Princess, but continue to post/complain.

Agree.

I come on here to share first hand experience about Princess. Good/ bad

I go to HAL forum to share about that line.

Debating why someone posts something here is a waste.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kay S said:

Because the place to discuss the line is on the forum dedicated to it.

Because a lot of the posts are not "discussions", they are rants and screeds about why the poster will never sail on Princess again and why they are booking with XYZ Cruise Line that is going to be so much better than Princess is. They usually claim to have sailed Princess 8,000 times before, but 'never again' because of some perceived slight. I just don't see the need to announce to the world your intentions, whom does that help?

To me, in the 21 years (and now 21 years and 1 day) I've been on Cruise Critic, I've seen the Cruise Line Forums degenerate from posts with good questions cruisers have and getting helpful answer from fellow cruisers to a conglomeration of Nabobs of Nattering Negativity that bring no useful information for those seeking it and crowds out the posts that do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Princess is a nice cruise line. We are sailing on the Royal this weekend...

Royal Caribbean in January & Holland in March.

My FAVORITE is MSC Yacht Club next September.

We basically only choose Princess for convenience. We live on the West Coast & Princess is regular there.

REMEMBER...when comparing cruise lines, it really gets down to the category. You cannot compare a balcony experience on one ship with a penthouse on another. Bedding, towels, food, service cabin, etc. are all different.

This weekends cruise is in a Penthouse on the Royal. First time although we have done half a dozen Princess cruises. I am sure this will up my opinion of Princess but this was an exception deal. Probably will not be able to do that in the future.

Now that I am older, I tend to look for the BEST category cabin I can get for the cheapest price. Most all cruise lines are great in a suite     :O)

• Like 3

We just went on our first Celebrity Cruise, on the Infinity, their oldest ship I think.  I posted my comments in another thread about what I liked and disliked compared to Princess.

One of the things I loved, was they had no soda fountain drinks, it was all cans or bottles.  I wish Princess would move to this, would give you way more options.

If anyone is interested, I can find my comments and post here.

We did book a FCC with them, and will use it.   But overall there aren't that many differences, and I find their pricing higher.  Their drink packages nearly double the price of some cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Wow.. people...   

This is a cruse board, and sharing info about different cruise lines is a part of why we are here.

It is the topic, not a banned topic.

Any other 'negativity' that does not share valid information just reflects on that individual poster.

what did ya think was gonna happen ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Glad to read about so many "ex" Princess cruisers experiences on other lines.  It will be quite interesting.  Would also be happy if they stopped posting negatively about Princess now that they are converting to greener pastures.

I once had a multi day disagreement with a poster here.

A few days later, I read one of his posts where he said he hadn't been on princess in 9 years.

There is a poster here from las vegas, who follows up on many topics.

He has admitted that he doesn't cruise on princess.

So now, you want people who are trying out other cruise lines to not be able to post here?

Sounds great.   Where is the system to vet all posters?

#1 Answer ... survey says ... it is up to every gentle reader to skip / discount posts on their own.

Almost as if they had personal responsibility.

25 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I once had a multi day disagreement with a poster here.

A few days later, I read one of his posts where he said he hadn't been on princess in 9 years.

There is a poster here from las vegas, who follows up on many topics.

He has admitted that he doesn't cruise on princess.

So now, you want people who are trying out other cruise lines to not be able to post here?

Sounds great.   Where is the system to vet all posters?

#1 Answer ... survey says ... it is up to every gentle reader to skip / discount posts on their own.

Almost as if they had personal responsibility.

🤣     I believe that was answered five (those of you from the husker state, that's 5)  post before you 

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

REMEMBER...when comparing cruise lines, it really gets down to the category.

I agree with all you said and I'd go further; I'd say you have to compare similar ships, not the NCL Bliss (which we love) to the Coral Princess (which we love) and the itinerary matters too.

34 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

One of the things I loved, was they had no soda fountain drinks, it was all cans or bottles.  I wish Princess would move to this, would give you way more options.

I am the exact opposite. I wish all cruise lines would drop cans and bottles for environmental reasons and go to a system like Royal Caribbean has; a soda machine where you can choose 40 kinds of soda and do add-ins like vanilla, cherry, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

To me, in the 21 years (and now 21 years and 1 day) I've been on Cruise Critic, I've seen the Cruise Line Forums degenerate from posts with good questions cruisers have and getting helpful answer from fellow cruisers to a conglomeration of Nabobs of Nattering Negativity that bring no useful information for those seeking it and crowds out the posts that do.

+5 for the Spiro Agnew reference 😁

Edited by Raxter54
  • Haha 1

I’ve been a member of Cruise Critic for over 20 years, and have learned which members post to offer helpful, critical information about cruising and cruise lines and ships and which ones only seem to come out of the woodwork to criticize other posters. I really appreciate comparisons between cruise lines, and, chances are, I’m going to see them most readily if they’re on the Princess board. I also appreciate the comparison more coming from a (mostly) Princess cruiser, as I can trust that I would probably feel the same.

So before we censor conversations that compare other cruise lines, positively or negatively, to Princess, I guess I’d advocate that we not worry about the fact that some fellow CC members get their knickers in a twist and attack when something even remotely negative about their chosen line gets brought up. Ignore, scroll by, whatever it takes. And they have the ability to do the same. 

• Like 3