Covid incidents on board ship

Steerpike58

Are there any rules / requirements for cruise lines to notify passengers on a cruise if there is a Covid 'incident' (or 'outbreak' or 'illness') on the ship?  I was just reading about a cruise where a number of passengers fell ill/tested positive, and an announcement of sorts was made on the ship, encouraging everyone to sanitize, distance, wear masks, etc. Mask wearing increased, albeit briefly!  

We were on a cruise earlier this month and we were one of the very few passengers who wore masks in public areas. The crew were 100% masked. We never heard of any 'incidents', but we have no idea if that's because there weren't any, or, they simply weren't reported. 

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Most ship do not want to panic the pax  if you notice extra cleaning by the crew  then there is  a problem

Sail Holland, they are always constantly making a show of cleaning, it is sort of a tradition,   Kidding aside there have been great strides made in air quality aboard the ships.  I have been really impressed this past year, all ships except my river cruise, had superior air filtration.  

• Like 1

We were on a longer 17 day cruise this past April, 2022.  All passengers were required to be vaccinated & boosted.  We were required to do a pre cruise covid test & then were tested a 2nd time in the terminal.  Masks worn by crew members & highly recommended for passengers.  There was an out break, I am assuming Covid due to rumors.  No announcement was made, but a mask requirement was implemented.  Red bags along hallways indicating quarantined guests.  Rumors were flying like crazy.  But there must have been an outbreak among crew, because service became slow & sporadic.  Crew could not keep up with the food demands of the quarantined guests.  People saying they had called for room service & either couldn't get through or it never arrived.  

We later found out it was a covid outbreak, the people who were doing B2Bs had to be tested prior to the next voyage & a bunch of them tested positive.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

We were on a longer 17 day cruise this past April, 2022.  All passengers were required to be vaccinated & boosted.  We were required to do a pre cruise covid test & then were tested a 2nd time in the terminal.  Masks worn by crew members & highly recommended for passengers.  There was an out break, I am assuming Covid due to rumors.  No announcement was made, but a mask requirement was implemented.  Red bags along hallways indicating quarantined guests.  Rumors were flying like crazy.  But there must have been an outbreak among crew, because service became slow & sporadic.  Crew could not keep up with the food demands of the quarantined guests.  People saying they had called for room service & either couldn't get through or it never arrived.  

We later found out it was a covid outbreak, the people who were doing B2Bs had to be tested prior to the next voyage & a bunch of them tested positive.

But things have changed a lot since April.

However,  Covid is still around. If you are worried about catching it, don't cruise !

14 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

When a crew member tests positive or has symptoms, everyone in their cabin is put under quarantine 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

And what exactly would you do if you were told Covid was on board ?

And, lets face it, Covid is on board every ship, to a greater or lesser extent.

Primarily, I would note it as a data point and move on. I'm interested in statistics and data, and am curious as to how cruise lines are faring with regard to covid cases. 

But additionally, what would I expect/hope? I would certainly hope that people would be more careful, and start wearing masks a bit more. My friend was on a cruise 2 months ago and got Covid, had to spend half the vacation in quarantine. I was on a cruise this month, and mask usage was minimal - 5% or so, even in the theater and on tour busses. Lots of coughing and sneezing in the dining areas. What I would 'do' is probably avoid crowded common spaces like the theater. 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But things have changed a lot since April.

However,  Covid is still around. If you are worried about catching it, don't cruise !

What changes were you thinking of? To me, things were probably safer back in April; testing and vaccinations were required for boarding and for shore visits on many lines / destinations, and flights were a bit more controlled. At this point, there's no longer any requirement for vaccination or testing, on either flights or cruises, so while case numbers may be going down slightly, 'opportunity' is on the rise. 

20 minutes ago, Steerpike58 said:

Primarily, I would note it as a data point and move on. I'm interested in statistics and data, and am curious as to how cruise lines are faring with regard to covid cases. 

But additionally, what would I expect/hope? I would certainly hope that people would be more careful, and start wearing masks a bit more. My friend was on a cruise 2 months ago and got Covid, had to spend half the vacation in quarantine. I was on a cruise this month, and mask usage was minimal - 5% or so, even in the theater and on tour busses. Lots of coughing and sneezing in the dining areas. What I would 'do' is probably avoid crowded common spaces like the theater. 

What changes were you thinking of? To me, things were probably safer back in April; testing and vaccinations were required for boarding and for shore visits on many lines / destinations, and flights were a bit more controlled. At this point, there's no longer any requirement for vaccination or testing, on either flights or cruises, so while case numbers may be going down slightly, 'opportunity' is on the rise. 

Proofs of tests and vaccines was required.  Both of which could have been purchased

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Sail Holland, they are always constantly making a show of cleaning, it is sort of a tradition,   Kidding aside there have been great strides made in air quality aboard the ships.  I have been really impressed this past year, all ships except my river cruise, had superior air filtration.  

I think it was  mandated by CDC  that the air filtration etc  had to be update so the cruise line would be able to sail again

We have cruised since April- 7 days in Sept & are cruising 14 days in Nov-Dec.  We use common sense & caution.  Wear masks when recommended, keep to ourselves, frequent hand washing.  I will not hide inside my house for the rest of my life.  Covid will be around for a long long time.  It is now about like the seasonal flu.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

To me, things were probably safer back in April; testing and vaccinations were required for boarding

We cruised in April this year. Masks, tests, social distancing etc. We got Covid !

Cruised again in June - no masks, limited testing. No problems.

On a 3000+pax ship you will never erradicate the possibility of Covid, and testing, masks etc is  of such limited effectiveness that doing away with those sort of requirements is a sensible decision.  Mask wearing especially was always purely symbolic. Mandatory to wear a mask in an empty corridor, but no need to wear one in a crowded dining room !

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I think it was  mandated by CDC  that the air filtration etc  had to be update so the cruise line would be able to sail again

I under that it is industry wide and was part of the recommendations.  My experience is that it is a massive improvement.   

Back in 2017 on a cruise, we noticed the crew doing extra cleaning and not allowing us to serve ourselves in the buffet. I assumed norovirus and religiously washed my hands like crazy. (Because I came down with that after coming home from a cruise in 2008) One day after flying home I came down sick with the flu. I got online here and asked if anyone else got sick with the flu and was told our ship had an outbreak. 

Lol all that 40 second handwashing in scalding hot water I did was for nil. I just wanted to point out it does not have to be COVID for the extra cleaning and serving you in the buffet. Any illness outbreaks. I guess though, I don't want to get sick with any of it. 

Which reminds me after our cruise to Italy back in 2012 I came down with whooping cough. Remember that outbreak back then and doctors reminding us we need a booster for that every 10 years?  I think that was as sick as I ever been, even covid which I had in early 2020 was not as bad as that and I was pretty darn sick with covid.

Now I take zinc and vitamin D3 and a very good quality muti vitamin. I know I may still get ill, especially when flying, airports are almost always crowded but I am willing to chance it for a vacation.

• Like 1

None of us want to get sick.  Hopefully none of us want to pass an illness to someone else.  We do what we can to protect ourselves & others around us.  The seasonal flu, norovirus, covid are not going away any time soon.  So do what you think is best for yourself- if that means staying avoiding cruise ships, then do that.  We do what we can to protect ourselves & still enjoy life.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I under that it is industry wide and was part of the recommendations.  My experience is that it is a massive improvement.   

Just curious - how do you actually 'experience' this improved air filtration? Does the air seem different? Now that smoking has been totally eliminated from all rooms, I can't imagine how you could tell.  Does the room simply 'smell' cleaner?  Since I've never cruised before this month, I have no frame of reference!  A similar comment was made by a friend about flying - how the air filtration has improved; I can't imagine how one could detect this!  I'm not denying it is the case, and I applaud the action - I just can't imagine how the general public can tell the difference. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wowzz said:

And what exactly would you do if you were told Covid was on board ?

I answered this above already, but thinking more about it, the answer I would give now is - "test myself and act accordingly".  We brought with us about 10 'rapid tests'. For a 14 day cruise, and 2 people, that wasn't enough for daily testing, but had there been an announcement on the ship that Covid cases were occurring, we would have tested ourselves voluntarily and, if positive, reported the situation to the onboard medical staff for further action (presumably, isolation). 

49 minutes ago, Steerpike58 said:

Just curious - how do you actually 'experience' this improved air filtration? Does the air seem different? Now that smoking has been totally eliminated from all rooms, I can't imagine how you could tell.  Does the room simply 'smell' cleaner?  Since I've never cruised before this month, I have no frame of reference!  A similar comment was made by a friend about flying - how the air filtration has improved; I can't imagine how one could detect this!  I'm not denying it is the case, and I applaud the action - I just can't imagine how the general public can tell the difference. 

My dentist had the new air filtration system installed so she could open again after lockdown. The air feels different to me when I go there.  Maybe chillier, maybe moving more?  Now every time I cruise, the air feels that way.  I probably can't pin it down, it's just different.  (Also, I trust my dentist and her staff.)

1 hour ago, Steerpike58 said:

I am not a person with allergies, I have never taken allergy pills, tests or visited a doctor for allergies.  That said I could count on the first two days on any ship having to take something for mold allergy which presents like a cold.  I would always carry  5 Benadryls with me for the first days.  I have not used those Benadryls on any of the ocean cruises I took this year. I did take them on the river cruise boat. 

• Like 2

Not only are there no rules, but some cruise lines go out of their way to keep secret, the number of cases aboard.  This happened to us in April when we were on the Seabourn Ovation for 21 days.  I mention Seabourn because it is part of the HAL group and several senior Seabourn officers actually come from HAL.  On our cruise we had a substantial number of COVID cases, most of which were quarantined (for 7 days) on Deck 5 Forward.  Since the Seabourn ship is relatively small and many folks know each other, it was a nightly topic at the Observation Bar.  We knew several who got sick and welcomed them back when they "got out of jail."  To the best of our knowledge, we had no serious cases and being quarantined on Seabourn means spending your time in a suite with unlimited room service (including booze).    On that same cruise the Cruise Director got COVID and also had to quarantine for 7 days.  If anyone asked about the CD we were told he "had a cold."  Once he was "out of jail" he confirmed what everyone already knew which he was had a very mild case of COVID.

We heard some grumbling about the lack of transparency regarding COVID, but most folks just went about their business (eating, drinking and having fun).  There were a few passengers on that cruise that always wore masks and isolated themselves from most social events (we met one such young couple) but most of us just accepted that there was always a COVID risk and went about having fun.  I think they eventually suggested that passengers wear masks indoors, but it was also clear that folks did not need to mask if eating or drinking.  Since Seabourn is all-inclusive, many of us always had a drink in hand and a mask in pocket :).  There was no routine testing done aboard that 27 day cruise although everyone did need to get an antigen test the day before we arrived at Lisbon (the mid point of that cruise for many folks).

Hank

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

My dentist had the new air filtration system installed so she could open again after lockdown. The air feels different to me when I go there.  Maybe chillier, maybe moving more?  Now every time I cruise, the air feels that way.  I probably can't pin it down, it's just different.  (Also, I trust my dentist and her staff.)

Last thing I want is to be reminded of the dentist chair during my cruise!  😁😁😁