Princess e-z air

ToyFoxFan

How many of you have used e-z air and was it worth it. Did you find it to be cheaper or more expensive. We are booking 10 day Caribbean in late January 2024 for 40th anniversary. Sailing out of Ft Lauderdale. Thoughts on motels for 1 night before cruise would be helpful. Thank you

• Like 1

I've only used EZ Air once (one way).  Go ahead...it won't cost you anything up until final payment (usually 90 days before January 2024).  You can make changes if price drops.  This compares to booking independent fares that you would have to pay outright with/without cancellation options.  

Buys you time.  Is convenient.  Great back up plan.

• Like 2

Have used it several times with no problems.  Family used it, had some weather problems and Princess/EZ Air got them to their cruise tour location within 24 hours.  Like anything some have gad good luck with it others have not.

Has worked well for us many times.
Buying your flights this way allows you make multiple changes up until finally payment and also brings your flight cost under your Princess travel insurance if you purchase it for the cruise. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would certainly book flights through EZair, because of the flexibility you can set alerts for price alerts on google flights and then change the EZair flights when there is a decrease in fares.  The fares, in my experience, for the flexible option were a few dollars more than booking the non refundable fares through the airlines.  You don't pay for the flights until the final cruise payment is due, so there is really nothing to lose securing some flights through EZair, and then cancelling if you find something better.

May not save you much for South Florida flights as there are so many flights going down there and fares are usually pretty low, but it can be great for flights to Europe or Alaska where fares can get really expensive.

Edited by malba2366
  • Like 1

Just used for the 1st time on our upcoming cruise to Caribbean.  Got a really good price for 1st class from Sacramento to Fort Lauderdale.

We always go a day early to make sure there are no problems.  As far as hotels, it really depends on what you want, how close to the port, and what you want to pay.  We stay in one of the 17th Street hotels, but they are pricey.

• Like 2

WE have used EZAir as well as self booking. One very bad experience with EZ Air made me a little more cautious. I had a booked, paid for and confirmed reservation through EZAir for a flight to LHR. Confirmed with seats confirmed at least three months ahead of flight. The week before our scheduled flight I was checking schedules only to see that our flight and airline had been changed. We were now scheduled on a multistop flight leaving over three hours earlier on a totally different airline. If I had not checked we would have missed our flight and possibly, our cruise. We had not received any notification from EZAir/Airline/Princess. I called and was told they (EZAir) had cancelled our flight and put on an available flight.  Airline (Delta) did not cancel our flight and it flew as scheduled. We lost our FF status and miles as well as access to airline clubs. I have not heard from Princess/EZAir yet as to why that happened        On another note, I booked an upcoming flight with my airline because EZAir would not offer the flight on their schedule--I gave them flight numbers and connections as listed by Delta and EZAir would not even try to book it--Booking through Delta was over $400 less pp.  I usually use EZAir for foreign travel and my airline for domestic. I am certainly checking all flights in the future.

• Like 1

We have used EZ air a few times since we had a ship arrive in disembarkation port so late that we had to rebook our flight home.  I love being able to lock in the price but not the money until final payment. On my last cruise the airline changed the schedule several times but we were always notified and our seat assignments preserved. 

• Like 2

The second part of your question asked about hotels in FLL.  We like to stay at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina.  It’s very close to where the ship docks and there is a convenience store within walking distance for picking up any last minute items.  

• Like 2

We are trying EZAir for the first time.   I booked EZAir back in June for a February flight.   The price was good and I wanted the flexibility since with all the COVID protocols still in place we weren't sure if the cruise would be a go for us.  Yesterday I checked with the airline to see what the current prices are and was shocked to see that our same flights were now $910 more than what I had booked 5 months ago!  Yikes!    Final payment is due in 4 weeks.  So far EZAir has worked out great for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjack22 said:

We are trying EZAir for the first time.   I booked EZAir back in June for a February flight.   The price was good and I wanted the flexibility since with all the COVID protocols still in place we weren't sure if the cruise would be a go for us.  Yesterday I checked with the airline to see what the current prices are and was shocked to see that our same flights were now $910 more than what I had booked 5 months ago!  Yikes!    Final payment is due in 4 weeks.  So far EZAir has worked out great for us.

Sounds like you're happy with your flights and the $'s for the flight.  I would recommend requesting early ticketing on the Princess site.  There have been reports about delayed ticketing and I've heard a few stories of problems when flights change, thus if you're ready to pay for the flights request early ticketing.

• Like 1

I typically use EZAir and book with Delta, this next cruise, short 4 day out of FLL, JetBlue was offering a direct flight 1/2 the price of Delta.  I could have booked direct with JetBlue, but my thought process of using EZAir is if for some reason, that flight is cancelled (It's been ticketed) then Princess will help me get there.  If booked direct, it would have been on me to figure out flight cancellation.

EZair is a great service because of the flexibility.  Like all travel you have to be diligent and constantly check prices from Princess vs booking on your own.   When we went to Alaska in 2015, I had EZ air until just before final payment and was able to find better pricing on my own, but that situation is a crapshoot…you never know, plus if you book on your own and have to cancel the cruise you are stuck with travel credits and not a refund.   Our. March 2023 California Coastal has increased significantly since I locked in the EZ air flights, $800 more for nonstop flights from Orlando.     The guarantee of assistance with flight problems has a lot of value.   

• Like 4

The key is to book immediately after the rates are available which I think is about 9-10 months before the flight. Book what you like and you can always keep an eye on it and check back every once in a while and change to a lower rate of offered.

• Like 1

a) EZAir rates with Princess are almost always at saving $$$ for international flights, especially one-way air travel.

b) EZAir rates with Princess for domestic travel will usually be the same or even higher than booking directly with the airline.

c) The big advantage with using EZAir is that if Princess cancels your cruise, you do not have to pay for the flights. If you have booked directly with an airline with other than full price fares and Princess cancels your cruise, you are stuck with the tickets you no linger need.

d) If you have booked your return flight with EZAir and Princess is so late in docking that you would miss your flight, then Princess will arrange for a new flight at no cost to you. If you had booked directly with the airline, it will be up to you to make new flight arrangements and you will be responsible for any airline charges for doing this.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, caribill said:

a) EZAir rates with Princess are almost always at saving $$$ for international flights, especially one-way air travel.

b) EZAir rates with Princess for domestic travel will usually be the same or even higher than booking directly with the airline.

c) The big advantage with using EZAir is that if Princess cancels your cruise, you do not have to pay for the flights. If you have booked directly with an airline with other than full price fares and Princess cancels your cruise, you are stuck with the tickets you no linger need.

d) If you have booked your return flight with EZAir and Princess is so late in docking that you would miss your flight, then Princess will arrange for a new flight at no cost to you. If you had booked directly with the airline, it will be up to you to make new flight arrangements and you will be responsible for any airline charges for doing this.

Good summary of the pros and cons, Caribill.

It’s good to be back on the boards and back to planning our next cruise(s). Also good to see familiar posters are still around these boards offering good advice. 😀

Edited by gottagocit
  • Like 1

Trying EZAir for the first time at the end of the month. A one way TATL flight to Rome and then a domestic from FLL to home, so in effect 2 one ways.

Pros… I could not get anywhere close to the EZAir price if I tried to book it myself.

Cons… there was a schedule change last month. I only noticed as the operating airline PNR was no longer valid. Looks like they canceled our connecting flight so we got re-routed. We went from. 5:25PM departure on Black Friday, to a 7:14AM departure the same day. Not really feasible when visiting family and friends over Thanksgiving.

I spent about an hour on hold with Princess to speak to EZAir. When we did get trough, they wanted $450 each to make any changes to the rescheduled flights, even though the airline had canceled. Eventually got them to relent and look for other flights. I gave them an alternative routing/times, but they couldn’t find it, but did offer an acceptable substitute, albeit with a tight connection at one airport. If booking direct, I would have absolutely insisted on the routing I wanted.

EZ air # is on the website but we simply book online. I like the flexibility that EZAir offers by letting you fly into a different city than the departure port. We did a TA from Barcelona ---> FLL and were allowed to fly into Lisbon a full 6 weeks prior to our cruise at a great price. It was just before COVID so not sure if it still works the same way. Just finished booking flights for a last-minute NZ cruise and will say that we watched the prices climb roughly $1K within the last week and regret waiting as long as we did but had no choice..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjack22 said:

When does EZAir get ticketed?   Is it right after final payment?

We only book flexible airfares and you will be ticketed 45 days prior to your flight or cruise whichever is earlier unless you request to be ticketed prior to the deadline. We are about to do that as we leave in less than 3 months and want to upgrade directly with the airline using points and can't do that until we are ticketed. BTW, we paid in full yesterday.

Edited by paradiselivin1

As with anything you are going to buy - shop around.  Go directly to the airline website and do a mock booking - go to a travel site and do a booking and then do the EZair and see who has the best prices.

If pricing is close, I will book with EZair as I am covered with the princess vacation protection plan.  

Once I am booked, I continue to check on my cruise booking and my flights.  I go to the airline site to check my flight booking, not princess.

You need to be responsible for your booking, hotel, flights - changes can occur and they can be fixed if you catch it early.