ETIAS

klfrodo

4 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

If they can manage to put it off for one more year to 2026, I'll never have to pay it. (At least I won't need to for my Norway cruise next year.)

I'm thinking there is an excellent chance that will happen (delay to 2026.... and beyond).

1 hour ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

It’s not a “proposal” - the ETIAS Regulation is a legal act of the EU, so the Commission is required to implement it. 

Article 18 of the Regulation sets the fee (€7) and exempts under 18s and over 70s from paying it. The fee can be changed (through delegated acts by the Commission) to cover costs, which is a requirement. 

Well, they are not doing a very good job at getting it implemented 🤦‍♂️

And thanks for confirming free for over 70.

On 11/1/2022 at 9:37 AM, klfrodo said:

Yes, an ETA for the UK will be required in the future

Not to bring up a sore subject, but why would it be needed in the UK? Though I can understand still requiring a visa. Or has it sort of reverted back to a status similar to the old EEC? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I have citizenship in an EU country so would just continue hitting that line when I arrive, but wonder how that would go–if/when it went into effect–in the UK. I guess one just follows whatever instructions and gets in whatever line seems correct at immigration on arrival. 

It'll be what it'll be. 🤷‍♀️

7 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Not to bring up a sore subject, but why would it be needed in the UK? Though I can understand still requiring a visa

The UK’s ETA scheme is, of course, nothing to do with ETIAS. As it happens it has just come into effect, but only for Qatari nationals, and will apply to nationals of some other Middle East countries from February. Eventually, it will apply worldwide. 
https://homeofficemedia.blog.gov.uk/2023/10/25/electronic-travel-authorisation-eta-scheme-factsheet-june-2023/

The point of any ETA scheme is that they only apply to people who do not need, and do not have, a visa.  

7 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Or has it sort of reverted back to a status similar to the old EEC?

I am not really sure what you mean by this, I’m afraid! The UK is a third country in EU terms and the UK’ s ETA will eventually apply to EU citizens, as ETIAS will apply to those of the UK. 

9 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Not to bring up a sore subject, but why would it be needed in the UK? Though I can understand still requiring a visa. Or has it sort of reverted back to a status similar to the old EEC? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

For the same reason as the USA has had its ESTA for decades, and the EU wants ETIAS, and otter countries are going the same way.

Undesirables come in all nationalities - if  I've committed a heinous crime just being British won't get me into the USA without an ESTA, whereas  if you have done likewise you are currently likely to be able to enter the UK with just your US passport.

JB 🙂

51 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

It's fundamentally the same reason why one is needed for Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA, to name four other countries at random.

I keep the official website/app for different countries' electronic travel authorities in a dedicated folder on my tablet.  Over the last few years I've seen so many people referring to unofficial sources and posing questions about prices, timing and other oddities that likely could have been avoided by starting with the official source.  A thread documenting known official sources would probably prove useful to many CC members.  I'm not planning on being the OP for it, though I would contribute and try to help keep it 'clean'.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

except the Irish! 🤣

Due to the Common Travel Agreement, yes, you won't need an ETA.

I read or heard just this week that one of the resons for the continued delay of the ETIAS scheme being implemented is  partly due to Paris hosting the Olympic Games in summer 2024.  With hundreds of thousands of athletes and visitors in different categories expected from countries around the world,,it was thought that the new system might not be able to cope, might even be overwhelmed,  and the preference was to be sure the system is "tried and tested" and any wrinkles ironed out before implementation.  Whether that is correct or wrong I have no idea and for all I know it could be "fake news" but it sounds as plausible as some of the other reasons given for the delay.

• Like 1

Sorry I asked. 

And no one is undesirable, not here. The way governments write their statutes, these are variables beyond the scope of the forum. 

Thanks for the replies. Sending kindness everyone's way today 🙂 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that eventually, these visa waivers are going to do away with passport books. They will become electronic. Along with your electronic passport and the visa waiver, your entrance and exit from a foreign country will be enough to satisfy the host countries requirements for tracking individuals who travel (legally).

My entry into the UK was done with no stamp recently. Just an electronic scan of my chipped passport book and facial recognition software. My exit was facial recognition. My entry back in the US was facial recognition only using Global Entry. No scan of my passport.

On 11/9/2023 at 2:18 AM, klfrodo said:

I believe that eventually, these visa waivers are going to do away with passport books. They will become electronic. Along with your electronic passport and the visa waiver, your entrance and exit from a foreign country will be enough to satisfy the host countries requirements for tracking individuals who travel (legally).

Ireland already offers an option of a credit card sized Passport Card that counts as a full passport and can be used on its own without a paper passport book (i.e. it isn't just an ID card) if you are travelling within the EU, the UK, or the members of the EEA.

Passport Card - Department of Foreign Affairs (dfa.ie)

I believe that eventually, these visa waivers are going to do away with passport books. They will become electronic.

Don't forget that passports and similar physical documents are also used at other stages of the travel process by other bodies, not just by border control authorities for entry into and exit from countries. Unless there are reliable ways are also put in place for carrying out those steps without physical documents, there's likely to be a continuing need for some kind of physical document when travelling.

As 9265359 illustrates, it's more likely that there can be some form of slimmed-down physical document. Within the EU, travel using national identity cards instead of passports (even when an immigration border must be crossed) has been in place for many years. This, together with streamlined procedures (ie less document stamping), which is becoming increasingly common, is what's in the foreseeable future.

My exit was facial recognition.

The UK doesn't do such exit checks.

On 11/10/2023 at 12:37 PM, 9265359 said:

Ireland already offers an option of a credit card sized Passport Card that counts as a full passport and can be used on its own without a paper passport book (i.e. it isn't just an ID card

They do, it costs about €10 less than the passport book.

On 11/10/2023 at 12:37 PM, 9265359 said:

Ireland already offers an option of a credit card sized Passport Card that counts as a full passport and can be used on its own without a paper passport book (i.e. it isn't just an ID card) if you are travelling within the EU, the UK, or the members of the EEA.

Passport Card - Department of Foreign Affairs (dfa.ie)

OK.  Don't you need to have an Irish passport book in order to get a card?

59 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

it costs about €10 less than the passport book.

You can't have the card without the passport book - it is an addition, not a substitution, so it is more costly to have one.

47 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

OK.  Don't you need to have an Irish passport book in order to get a card?

You do, but you can use the card on its own without the book if you are travelling within the EU, the UK, or the members of the EEA, so if you prefer you can leave the book behind and just travel with the card.

It is handy if you want to travel light and as it is a credit card size then you can just keep it in your wallet.

It is also handy as you effectively have two passports as the book and card have different numbers (or three passports if like me you have dual nationality).