ETIAS

klfrodo

Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance right?

As an US citizen, an ETIAS will be required late next year to visit/enter a Schengen member country. ETIAS - European Travel Information and Authorisation System.

My question, and I have sent an e-mail requesting clarification but no response, is will cruisers making port stops only be required to apply for this ETIAS. Example would be a cruise from Southampton with port stops in Schengen countries and return to Southampton.

Yes, an ETA for the UK will be required in the future, but currently not scheduled until 2025.

Edited by Host Bonjour
Remove hyperlink, post was hidden but info from other members is otherwise useful.

On 11/1/2022 at 9:37 AM, klfrodo said:

As an US citizen, an ETIAS will be required late next year to visit/enter a Schengen member country. ETIAS - European Travel Information and Authorisation System.

Caution: That is not an official website, the information on it may not be reliable, and it would be unsurprising if in due course it becomes one of those misleading channels that charges you too much for something that can be done cheaply through an official channel.

The official EU website concerning ETIAS is here: https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias_en

• Thanks 1

I agree with Globaliser; the link in the first post is an UNOFFICIAL website. Don’t rely on it for accurate information and certainly don’t apply for anything on it. 
@klfrodoplease consider removing the link to the unofficial website. 

The ETIAS scheme is not yet implemented. There haven’t even announced the date when it will start. There is absolutely no point in worrying about it now. We simply don’t have the details about how it will work in practice. 

• 1 month later...

On 11/1/2022 at 1:30 PM, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

I agree with Globaliser; the link in the first post is an UNOFFICIAL website. Don’t rely on it for accurate information and certainly don’t apply for anything on it. 
@klfrodoplease consider removing the link to the unofficial website. 

The ETIAS scheme is not yet implemented. There haven’t even announced the date when it will start. There is absolutely no point in worrying about it now. We simply don’t have the details about how it will work in practice. 

I keep checking and it keeps getting pushed back.  Last announcement said November 2023.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/7/2023 at 11:04 PM, brer111 said:

So if cruising to Iceland and Norway for example do you need anything besides your passport?

depends on which country issued your passport.

Visas are needed for the passports of some countries.

• 5 months later...

On 2/28/2023 at 10:27 PM, ontheweb said:
On 2/28/2023 at 8:52 PM, gnome12 said:

ETIAS has been delayed until 2024 (no specific date announced yet).

There seems to be a rolling delay.

The next one has now been announced: spring 2025, possibly May.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

When was this originally supposed to go into effect? It really seems like it never will.

2021, IIRC. I imagine that some of the delay will probably have been Covid-related, in which case it's perhaps not as bad as it seems. The latest slippage is apparently due to the entry-exit system (EES) not being ready in time, but that seems to be being actively worked on, and the plan appears to be that it should be operational about half a year ahead of ETIAS.

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

2021, IIRC. I imagine that some of the delay will probably have been Covid-related, in which case it's perhaps not as bad as it seems. The latest slippage is apparently due to the entry-exit system (EES) not being ready in time, but that seems to be being actively worked on, and the plan appears to be that it should be operational about half a year ahead of ETIAS.

I just googled it, and it was actually much earlier. It was first proposed in 2016, and passed in 2018!

European Travel Information Authorisation System (europa.eu)

When the Parliament agreed the text of the Regulation in July 2018, the Commission was saying “end of 2021”. I doubt any Euro-watchers believed that even then, though 😂

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_18_4367

Following their publication in the Official Journal of the European Union (EUR-Lex), the regulations will enter into force 20 days later, which will enable eu-LISA to start building the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) and make these new information systems operational by the end of 2021.

Several un-verified sources are now saying that ETIAS has been delayed to the Spring of

They have yet to complete the electronic registration process so that qualifying nationalities can enter and depart thro' automatic biometric gates instead of their passports being stamped by an immigration officer face-to-face. That electronic registration (not the ETIAS itself) is expected to be completed in the Autumn of next year. 

An Entry/Exit System will replace manual passport stamping with an electronic registration – and ETIAS – and online travel authorisation system for visa-exempt third-country nationals, including UK citizens, travelling to 30 European countries – are in the process of being deployed.

The new roadmap for the delivery of the new IT architecture foresees that the Entry/Exit system will be ready to enter into operation in Autumn 2024 and that ETIAS will be ready to enter into operation in Spring 2025.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

Yes, that's the Council's current timeline. I'm not sure if the EES delay is the sole reason - unless they look further into decoupling, ETIAS can only be about 6 months after EES, but that assumes all is well in the ETIAS programme too! I'd take Spring 2025 as a 'no earlier than' date 🤣

On 5/7/2023 at 11:04 PM, brer111 said:

So if cruising to Iceland and Norway for example do you need anything besides your passport?

It depends when you will be travelling to these countries, also the country which issued your passport as some nationalites require a visa for entry to certain countries and that you will need to check yourself if that is a requirement for you.

According to the official ETIAS website, both Iceland and Norway are European Free Trade Association (EFTA) Members, meaning that an ETIAS will be required unless of course official legislation is  introduced which would exempt cruise ship passengers, but I don't see why it would be as air and sea carriers will have  responsibility for checking passengers have the document when they arrive for boarding, and were they to exempt cruise passengers, what about those arriving on ferries for example?

brer111,  noting that you are US based but not  knowing your actual nationality, can only mention to you that the US has run its very similar ESTA requirement programme for many years now, and Europeans have had to apply for this, with the cost gradually  increasing over the years and cruise ship passengers are not exempt. The current cost is $21 for 2 years.  As far as I am aware, although this too may be subject to change, and others may be better informed,  ETIAS will cost around $8 and be valid for 3 years, so a bit of a bargain for you. 

Edited by edinburgher

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

It depends when you will be travelling to these countries, also the country which issued your passport as some nationalites require a visa for entry to certain countries and that you will need to check yourself if that is a requirement for you.

According to the official ETIAS website, both Iceland and Norway are European Free Trade Association (EFTA) Members, meaning that an ETIAS will be required unless of course official legislation is  introduced which would exempt cruise ship passengers, but I don't see why it would be as air and sea carriers will have  responsibility for checking passengers have the document when they arrive for boarding, and were they to exempt cruise passengers, what about those arriving on ferries for example?

brer111,  noting that you are US based but not  knowing your actual nationality, can only mention to you that the US has run its very similar ESTA requirement programme for many years now, and Europeans have had to apply for this, with the cost gradually  increasing over the years and cruise ship passengers are not exempt. The current cost is $21 for 2 years.  As far as I am aware, although this too may be subject to change, and others may be better informed,  ETIAS will cost around $8 and be valid for 3 years, so a bit of a bargain for you. 

Question about cost---does the proposal still include free for those over 70 years old?

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Question about cost---does the proposal still include free for those over 70 years old?

I didn't know about a concession for those aged over 70.

But if you're over 50yrs old now you'll probably  qualify by the time ETIAS finally happens 🤣 

JB 🙂

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

I didn't know about a concession for those aged over 70.

But if you're over 50yrs old now you'll probably  qualify by the time ETIAS finally happens 🤣 

JB 🙂

🤣, I turned 50 last century! (DW did not turn 50 until early this century.)

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It’s not a “proposal” - the ETIAS Regulation is a legal act of the EU, so the Commission is required to implement it. 

Article 18 of the Regulation sets the fee (€7) and exempts under 18s and over 70s from paying it. The fee can be changed (through delegated acts by the Commission) to cover costs, which is a requirement. 

1 hour ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

It’s not a “proposal” - the ETIAS Regulation is a legal act of the EU, so the Commission is required to implement it. 

Article 18 of the Regulation sets the fee (€7) and exempts under 18s and over 70s from paying it. The fee can be changed (through delegated acts by the Commission) to cover costs, which is a requirement. 

If they can manage to put it off for one more year to 2026, I'll never have to pay it. (At least I won't need to for my Norway cruise next year.)