Arrive port at 7, flight at 10. Enough time?

YourWorldWithBill

We are cruising from Amsterdam to the Norwegian fjords on the Rotterdam next spring. The cruise ends back in Amsterdam, with arrival at 7:00 AM. For previous cruises, either we had some time to kill after the cruise or spent extra time in the city before leaving.

The flight we want to take from Amsterdam leaves at 10:00 AM. It looks pretty safe to me. Although HAL recommends 4 1/2 hours, the airport is only about 20 minutes from the port, and disembarkation shouldn't take all that long. We are in a Neptune suite, so should get some consideration.

We can certainly take an Uber or taxi to the airport if the transportation by HAL is slower. That's a lot cheaper than another expensive hotel night.

Suggestions?

Unless AMS has change a lot from our experience this spring I would say not a chance. From the time we got to the airport and through security was almost 5 hours. It was a madhouse. There were people in line with us who were on their 3rd day of trying to get on a flight because their planes left while waiting to check in and clear security. Hopefully, the situation will be better next year as we'll be there again in May.

• Thanks 1

AMS was absolute madness this past spring and summer. Even with priority checkin it took me 3.75 hours to get through security and baggage check.  That was in May before it really went nuts.   I chose to stay at the Hilton at the airport the night before.  I felt that was a wise choice.  BTW that flight schedule may change, it may move to 11 am. 

PS the taxi drive is 30 minutes on a weekend morning 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

As others have mentioned AMS Amsterdam Schiphol airport was an absolute nightmare this summer, even as late as our flights in September. I believe it is still having difficulties with the security channels and baggage handling.

However as you are looking at next spring, I would take a leap of faith and book the flight.  The airlines and the Netherlands Government will not permit another summer like the one just past.  AMS will have to get its act together.  I believe that they already are offering premiums to workers for the security lines.

The flight time will probably change a couple of times between now and spring, maybe by a few minutes, maybe by an hour.  If they bring it forward you should be able to get the flight changed if you feel it necessary.

Take a taxi, don't wait for the HAL transfer.

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

As others have mentioned AMS Amsterdam Schiphol airport was an absolute nightmare this summer, even as late as our flights in September. I believe it is still having difficulties with the security channels and baggage handling.

However as you are looking at next spring, I would take a leap of faith and book the flight.  The airlines and the Netherlands Government will not permit another summer like the one just past.  AMS will have to get its act together.  I believe that they already are offering premiums to workers for the security lines.

The flight time will probably change a couple of times between now and spring, maybe by a few minutes, maybe by an hour.  If they bring it forward you should be able to get the flight changed if you feel it necessary.

Take a taxi, don't wait for the HAL transfer.

I'll probably book the next day and then change to the port arrival day if the flight time changes, or it's clear that AMS got their act together. It's easier to do that that take a chance on booking the flight a day later. We're not really pressed for time, it's just that staying only one extra day is just another (slight) packing aggravation. Thanks for the note, so that I pay attention to flight changes. In my experience, flight changes by AA aren't very much.

No way would I take that chance!

On paper 20 min perhaps, but in reality 45 min depending on traffic. Then you're talking airline counter check-in, passport control, security screening, and aircraft boarding all subject to lines and delays. Why endure the extra anxiety after a relaxing cruise? Take a later flight or, better yet, spend an extra day/night enjoying the city of my birth 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

No way would I take that chance!

On paper 20 min perhaps, but in reality 45 min depending on traffic. Then you're talking airline counter check-in, passport control, security screening, and aircraft boarding all subject to lines and delays. Why endure the extra anxiety after a relaxing cruise? Take a later flight or, better yet, spend an extra day/night enjoying the city of my birth 

50 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Last time we got off a ship in AMS there were only 2 Immigration people checking 2000+ people. Loooonnnggg slow line. Wouldn't be trying to catch a 10am flight, with added security going to the US.

Yeah, I'm getting a pretty clear message. Change is good! We're rebooking for the following day. There is an Indonesian restaurant in Amsterdam, Kantjil de Tijger, where I had one of the best meals ever. Since we're there for a couple of days before the cruise, at least some good dinner options.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Yeah, I'm getting a pretty clear message. Change is good! We're rebooking for the following day. There is an Indonesian restaurant in Amsterdam, Kantjil de Tijger, where I had one of the best meals ever. Since we're there for a couple of days before the cruise, at least some good dinner options.

Excellent choice! Can't beat Indonesian food for dinner at one of the many such restaurants in Amsterdam! Lots of "stuff" to see and do for the day! Consider a canal/harbor tour from the tour boat companies across from Centraal (railway) station! 

https://www.viator.com/tours/Amsterdam/Amsterdam-1-Hr-Canal-Cruise-from-Central-Station-with-Optional-Attraction-Tickets/d525-2550STLCRUISE

56 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Excellent choice! Can't beat Indonesian food for dinner at one of the many such restaurants in Amsterdam! Lots of "stuff" to see and do for the day! Consider a canal/harbor tour from the tour boat companies across from Centraal (railway) station! 

https://www.viator.com/tours/Amsterdam/Amsterdam-1-Hr-Canal-Cruise-from-Central-Station-with-Optional-Attraction-Tickets/d525-2550STLCRUISE

You can also rent a boat and do it yourself. There were 4 of us and it was cheaper to rent a boat at Mokumboot for a 3 hour tour. Didn't get the guide to tell us what you are seeing, but they give you a map to follow and it was a wonderful experience.

• Like 2

We had to change flights at Schipol this summer and can verify that the airport was a complete mess!  In fact, our KLM pilot actually came out of the cockpit and gave an apology speech.  Hopefully that situation will not exist next year, but who knows?  My advice to the OP is to spend 1 or 2 nights, post cruise, in Amsterdam.  It is a fabulous city for a short visit, you will already be there, so take advantage.  Getting from the port to any hotel is easy and you will be ready to enjoy that debarkation day.  

Hank