The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday November 6th, 2022

richwmn

Just a quick note.  Still no internet which means no TV either.  

Sue and I took a nice walk around the neighborhood. It is a good one for walking. The yard guys showed up as promised and cleaned up all the leaves.  Former owners hadn’t raked a single one.  I guess that was our housewarming gift.  My niece and her husband came over last night with their two little ones and we shared pizza and salad with them.  That was wonderful!  It also was why I moved back.  

• Like 29

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruising-along Welcome home. Prayers that you stay healthy! Oh no on your neighbor's house; at least she's safe but it sounds like a major issue with her house. And the tree people didn't find that the tree was not well grounded. Sad.

Thank you so much Vanessa.  We're doing our best to stay healthy, we want to see our Grandsons later this week!  

I feel terrible for our neighbor, she has always told me about her fear of windstorms, and now to have this happen.  She said it will take several weeks to repair the damage.  Thankfully she wasn't in bed when it happened, as it came through right above her bedroom. 

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Carolyn, that's such a shame the widow neighbor had a tree fall and damage her house!  I always worry about that when I see large trees standing near homes.  It will be a lot of work repairing it I'm sure.  

Hope the other luggage arrives safely and as scheduled today.  Praying you don't get sick either from the inconsiderate people on your plane trips, plus that sneezing cab driver.  Maybe load up on vitamin C and zinc today just in case.   Can't hurt!

Thank you Sandi.  The luggage is now due to arrive this afternoon, hopefully it does come today.  Thank you for the prayers -- we're definitely loading up on vitamin C and Zinc!  

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, I'm glad you had a great cruise and made it home safely.  We've also have had luggage delivered later when it missed our flight.   How awful for your neighbor to have the tree fall on her house.  I hope the HOA or someone can get the tree service to pay all or part of the repairs.  I hope you and DH stay well.

Thank you Lenda!  

• Like 17

I for one am happy we are not staying on Daylight Savings time.  In my area, by the end of December it would be dark long after our students left for school.  Even then, with standard time, they will be home before dark.

Roy

• Like 14

38 minutes ago, dfish said:

Sue and I took a nice walk around the neighborhood. It is a good one for walking. The yard guys showed up as promised and cleaned up all the leaves.  Former owners hadn’t raked a single one.  I guess that was our housewarming gift.  My niece and her husband came over last night with their two little ones and we shared pizza and salad with them.  That was wonderful!  It also was why I moved back.  

I just love reading that you had family visit last night and got to spend time with them.  A very good reason to move back.❤️

35 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you so much Vanessa.  We're doing our best to stay healthy, we want to see our Grandsons later this week!  

I feel terrible for our neighbor, she has always told me about her fear of windstorms, and now to have this happen.  She said it will take several weeks to repair the damage.  Thankfully she wasn't in bed when it happened, as it came through right above her bedroom. 

Thank you Sandi.  The luggage is now due to arrive this afternoon, hopefully it does come today.  Thank you for the prayers -- we're definitely loading up on vitamin C and Zinc!  

Thank you Lenda!  

👍

7 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, we were probably together on one of the Prinsendam cruises. Our last cruise was in Sept of 2018 from Amsterdam to Rome. The British Isles cruise was in 2017 in July. I always thought you looked familiar as well.

We were on the Sept. 2018 Amsterdam to Rome cruise with you!  Sept. 2-30.  Wow, small world!!

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I just love reading that you had family visit last night and got to spend time with them.  A very good reason to move back.❤️

👍

We were on the Sept. 2018 Amsterdam to Rome cruise with you!  Sept. 2-30.  Wow, small world!!

Sandi. wasn't  that a beautiful  cruise with great weather!

• Like 7

@rafinmdIf you get a chance, you can remove Shari from the list.  She passed away on Monday, but Barbara didn't find out until Tuesday night, and since I was gone, I didn't find out until this afternoon.  When I finally listened to the messages.  I spent the afternoon trying to reach our mutual friends to let them know about the service on the 12th in Fayetteville.  Both Chuck and I are very sad about her death, she was only 57 years old.  Major organ shut down.  

Her dog was placed in a foster home through one of her neighbors, and since Keba is such a gentle giant of a dog, they ended up adopting him.  He is an old dog, and he hated being alone.  I am sure that he is a grateful puppy.

Thank you all for your prayers for my friend.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11

Good afternoon. I did remember to set clocks back.... all except the car but Subaru has made that easy to do... just need to remember to do it. Just now getting around to looking at CC... day has just sort of gotten away from me. I am getting the stink-eye from the dogs who think supper should be served and why am I late.

Love potato and lentil soup, but don't get it often. Not sure what I am going to eat tonight. I need to make a shopping run.

Cheers to all who are now on their way from Barcelona. Have a great cruise. @marshhawkSorry to hear about your friend and so glad her dog was placed successfully. I do worry about mine if something were to happen to me, but I know I have many friends who would help out. I see so many sad, sad cases at the shelter.

Susan

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@rafinmdIf you get a chance, you can remove Shari from the list.  She passed away on Monday, but Barbara didn't find out until Tuesday night, and since I was gone, I didn't find out until this afternoon.  When I finally listened to the messages.  I spent the afternoon trying to reach our mutual friends to let them know about the service on the 12th in Fayetteville.  Both Chuck and I are very sad about her death, she was only 57 years old.  Major organ shut down.  

Her dog was placed in a foster home through one of her neighbors, and since Keba is such a gentle giant of a dog, they ended up adopting him.  He is an old dog, and he hated being alone.  I am sure that he is a grateful puppy.

I'm so sorry to hear Shari died.

57 is no age.

Condolences for all her family and friends.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.   I left Waco early so DH could  nap.  Not only did he stay up to watch the WS and the celebrations, he found one or two movies to watch afterwards.  So he was up a lot later than normal.

Our weather is so nice in the afternoons, I thought I'd mow the yard when I got home.  That plan fell through when I realized I didn't have time to charge the batteries for the mower and trimmer and still have time to finish the yard work before sunset at 5:35.  Instead I opted to sit outside and read. Haven't had much chance to do so the last month or two.

With all the rain the last couple of weeks our grass has greened up and the weeds are growing.  They'll keep for a few more days.

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Well, it just poured rain, although now the sun is out. So no working on leaves this afternoon.

@aliaschief That sauce sounds wonderful!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I usually do the same. Sometimes I don't set a timer and then I forget, and have to wait for the next day if the correct time would happen in the middle of the night.

@ottahand7 Good to hear DB is looking better today.

Vanessa, if I didn't set a timer, the clock might never have gotten the correct time.  😁

4 hours ago, superoma said:

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/potato-leek-soup.html

i couldn’t resist posting a recipe for potato leek soup. We really love it and it is very simple to make. I don’t add cream to mine, I find that puréing i5 makes it creamy enough. However adding the cream gives it a different dimension. We grow our own leeks because we use a lot between three families but they do take a long time to mature hence the high price.

AD6A4347-6531-4C0B-A247-33F2762E876E.webp

Thank you for sharing your recipe.  I like potato soup, but don't make it.  This might inspire me to give it a try.

2 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thanks Rich and all for the regular posts. I feel so good when I visit like coming home to family. Today is beautiful and sunny but yesterday it poured shortly after I finished some yard work. It is amazing to see all the new rivers formed by a heavy rain. My son came over with his ladder and checked on what sounded like a big branch landing on the roof last night.  He found nothing and told me it was probably just a possum falling from the big oak onto the roof. At least there was no damage. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. 

Linda, I'm glad there was no damage to your roof.  Hope the possum was only stunned, if that us what caused the noise.

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon from Charleston!  We have had a lovely time here, me with my Faith & Food Girlfriends and Craig spending time reading, eating and some sightseeing. We are now at the airport waiting to board our first flight to Atlanta then will fly Atlanta to Tucson, getting home really late. Tomorrow we pick up Blue. Yay!

88CEAC71-1157-4684-B75B-206A1764F3FF.thumb.jpeg.9a11e91811dad602af355cb366bf6553.jpeg

Friday the Girlfriends went on a 3 hour walking tour lead by a chef ending up at a restaurant where he spent 2 hours cooking for us. It was amazing!

83581EBB-CBDB-4A51-8493-76CA09F7399C.thumb.jpeg.ac090489984d2c9b5f0441f7a2da53c5.jpeg

89EDF2E0-3A26-4772-8062-B5E48DCFE8EB.thumb.jpeg.ca175a22afdcf3c3c2d45a98a361c996.jpeg

0CBAE85A-0387-4E82-8659-BC7C1A3CE783.thumb.jpeg.14614474fed3fa3e10206184168dff2e.jpeg

315656A0-8F14-48A5-A15C-D1186BE82F5D.thumb.jpeg.c4f110648e71bbfe71ca902b102cf95e.jpeg

815957BB-C35A-46A2-A5B5-342D0A5A3C82.thumb.jpeg.4193bc0d7ba5af03b8501e08f69d4cd4.jpeg

FBA48E90-3C75-47C0-8023-F7EA8218522A.thumb.jpeg.1cc50a1ebd14b5ce591a84ecd84cbb5a.jpeg

Saturday the Girlfriends went to the Slave Museum, quite humbling.  Photos aren’t allowed inside. 
92C4FAA1-7DBE-4DF3-BEB1-159276CBB41E.thumb.jpeg.71274f66f6b4f429410ac3e716a0aa08.jpeg

That evening, oh yes, that was last night, we had a cooking class with one of the Girlfriends. Beef Wellington, roasted fingerling potatoes and carrots with a wine pairing.  OMG!  Amazing and such fun. 
19798BC6-D7DD-49F9-8589-E2763FE6DA05.thumb.jpeg.b4670f95ad9fa6e921492fe1138c9df3.jpeg

F5C266C8-8641-4443-A4FA-AFA396FA2F9F.thumb.jpeg.c40578556c593316bf56766994de0cad.jpeg

F72573A6-CC12-43BD-AD15-A1A1B807B5BF.thumb.jpeg.a036bdd81c57a03086ccc6a074fc67c3.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, I hope you and Craig have safe flights.  Thanks for the pictures.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Debbie, how nice to be able to see family without a long drive.

35 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, we were probably together on one of the Prinsendam cruises. Our last cruise was in Sept of 2018 from Amsterdam to Rome. The British Isles cruise was in 2017 in July. I always thought you looked familiar as well.

I still think we were on a cruise together, but it wasn't the two you mentioned.  We didn't board Prinsendam in 2017 unril August 4.  In 2018, we were on Zaandam in Alaska and Coral Princess circling the north Pacific.

5 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Annie, our condolences to you and Chuck along with all of Shari's friends.  She was too young too die.  I'm glad her dog has a new furever home.  Will you be going to Shari's service?

1 minute ago, durangoscots said:

Good afternoon. I did remember to set clocks back.... all except the car but Subaru has made that easy to do... just need to remember to do it. Just now getting around to looking at CC... day has just sort of gotten away from me. I am getting the stink-eye from the dogs who think supper should be served and why am I late.

Love potato and lentil soup, but don't get it often. Not sure what I am going to eat tonight. I need to make a shopping run.

Cheers to all who are now on their way from Barcelona. Have a great cruise. @marshhawkSorry to hear about your friend and so glad her dog was placed successfully. I do worry about mine if something were to happen to me, but I know I have many friends who would help out. I see so many sad, sad cases at the shelter.

Susan

Susan, the time change is so hard on our fur babies.  I still have a couple of clocks to change.  I didn't realize until this afternoon that the phones for the landline needed the time changed.  They are old enough they don't do it automatically.

Lenda

• Like 13

My 2 cents worth about the time of day.  I would prefer Daylight Savings Time year round and make it everywhere. Living in Arizona we do not have Daylight Saving Time and it is difficult for this oldster to figure out the time difference between the different time zones and whether or not Daylight Savings applies.

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 9

17 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Annie

My sincerest sympathies to you, Chuck and all of Shari’s friends and family. I hope great memories help ease the pain, but 57 was so young. 

Ann

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I'm sorry to hear this, Annie.  Hugs.

Maxine

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Sandi. wasn't  that a beautiful  cruise with great weather!

It definitely was a wonderful cruise with all the unique ports, and the cruise along the beautiful river seeing Rouen and Bordeaux.  I loved all of my Prinsendam cruises!

42 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Annie, I'm so sorry to hear that your dear friend Shari passed away, especially so young!  I'm glad you will be honoring her by attending her service. Also, I'm happy to hear her dog Keba has a new home.  My condolences to Shari's family and friends including yourself and Chuck.😥  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Annie,  I am so sorry to hear about your friend.Sending hugs .

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Late posting today, we have delivered Meals On Wheels then had lunch before returning home.

@marshhawk condolences on the death of your friend Shari.

@Quartzsite Cruiser a big sincere Thank You for your multiquoting again today.  Your DH sounds as though he is gradually improving.  

Thanks for all the daily reports, photos of today's destination and the HAL Fleet locations.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good evening, everyone!   

I am happy to report that I am now connected.  Computer, monitor and printer all all connected and working.  I think the camera is as well.  Yes, it is.  I just checked.  Whatever the problem was, it was baffling the technician for a while as well.  I think Previous Owner did some of his own wiring and that was causing the problem.  

Best news is that there will be a Meal of the Day tomorrow!!!  

@marshhawk Condolences on the death of your friend.  Thank you for posting the recipe for the soup.  I was worried the Dailyites might waste away.  

See you all tomorrow!   It feels good to be back in business.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good evening, everyone!   

I am happy to report that I am now connected.  Computer, monitor and printer all all connected and working.  I think the camera is as well.  Yes, it is.  I just checked.  Whatever the problem was, it was baffling the technician for a while as well.  I think Previous Owner did some of his own wiring and that was causing the problem.  

Best news is that there will be a Meal of the Day tomorrow!!!  

@marshhawk Condolences on the death of your friend.  Thank you for posting the recipe for the soup.  I was worried the Dailyites might waste away.  

See you all tomorrow!   It feels good to be back in business.

Debbie, that is good news you are connect to the world.  I seriously doubt any of us will waste away.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

I am happy to report that I am now connected. 

@dfish Wonderful news! I was hoping you wouldn't end up like my mid-Michigan friend who had Spectrum out to prep everything for her connection -- only to be told a week later that all the wiring work was for naught as Spectrum had now realized she had moved to an area that it did not service! Glad your issues were resolved more satisfactorily!

-Melisa

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, that is good news you are connect to the world.  I seriously doubt any of us will waste away.  🤣

Lenda

Hey Lenda, speak for yourself!

@dfish Debbie you connected just in the nick of time to prevent my wasting away….😎

• Haha 11

@dfishIt was @superoma who did the recipe this time.  She too did not want us to starve. 

I did not starve tonight, I made salmon teriyaki, spinach and from my yankee blood, I made creamed onions.  Something that  I can make a large amount to be served with tomorrow's dinner of pork chops.

Thank you all for the hugs regarding Shari.

She and I loved disaster movies,  I think we watched Twister about 15 times, her at her place, me at mine, but our favorite was The Day After Tomorrow and we would talk about the movies afterwards.  We were both food lovers, cant really say foodies, but she was a great cook.  We were both diagnosed as diabetic the same year.  My theory was I can take better care of myself (which i try but dont do well at all) her theory was there are drugs for that.  And within the last two years as a type 2 diabetic she was using insulin.  I dont like needles so I am putting off the inevitable as long as I can.

I met her when I interviewed for a job.  Her boss had been a student of mine when I taught pond building, and he set me up with an interview with her.  She was sitting at her desk eating Cheetos (my favorite snack food) and there was a Cheeto sitting on her rather large bosom..  At the end of the interview, I said excuse me, took it off her sweater and ate it.  She told me I had the job. 

She loved Anime, while I loved rom coms.  I got her hooked on Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, and she got me hooked on cooking shows.  Our last conversation we had when she was making any sense at all, was why I hadnt told her about Somebody Feed Phil.  I laughed, I thought she had found that one.

She cruised with me several times, along with Barbara, we created great memories.  There were times we didn't get along, too much friend not enough boss, but we worked it out over the years.  I am glad that my last call to her, ended with I love you, take care of yourself.

We kept each other sober.  We were both in AA but worked so many hours a day, we both stopped going, we tried a few meetings together and ended up just relying on each other.  She had a good sponsor, who got long Covid, and dropped out of her life, and so the last year we had each other, we picked up our "birthday chips" last November.  I started going back when she became more and more ill, but neither Barbara nor I knew what was wrong with her.

I will miss her.  Our hour long conversations, and the food chats, always trying to add something to our recipes to make it better.  Losing our jobs at the same time was so bad for her, and I basically just retired.  For two weeks , and then i went back to work-she finally found her dream job, which lasted until Covid closed their office.  And it just snow balled from there.  She will always be in my heart.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1