Should Silversea be concerned about Crystal?

commodoredave

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Thankfully all cruise lines are not the same.

Yes the luxury lines have similarities but at the same time many differences.

That's great because not all of us desire the same things.

Yes on average Silversea rooms are larger than Crystal's. That is not debatable. 

At the same time Crystal has several public areas which Silversea does not have.  This includes a wrap around promenade deck where you can take long walks and even runs and one or two Paddle Tennis /Pickle Ball Courts depending on ship and even taking account passenger count larger fitness centers and the ability to offer a far larger set of classes.  They have shuffleboard and table tennis.  

What I am saying is for some the size of the room is important while for others room size isn't so important and they prefer more diversity of public areas and areas outside.  

Because of size Crystal can offer more activities at once daytime and nighttime.

My experience is SS restaurants were more intimate as they were smaller.

My experience is service level on Crystal were better (subjective) and the wait staff in the main restaurant was more refined on Crystal.

My experience is SS's La Terrazia (sp) for breakfast and lunch was a more intimate and formal dining area.  My experience is the cuisine served was more appealing on Crystal.  Unless it changed it seemed like a lot of cold cut trays on SS for that lunch.

So I have given you some fact along with some subjective opinions.

Now some people make their decisions strictly on price. Others make them on other factors with price being there but not number one.

The good news is more than one cruise line can play in the luxury market.

And the good news is what one person thinks is best another person does not.

What's the best designer of clothes. Wha's the best auto maker?  Best city to visit?  Best computer? Best smart phone? Camera?

And the answer is it depends.

There is fact to all of them and their are all the human factors in deciding what is best or works better for someone.

We all come at this differently. Thank goodness because if we didn't there would be maybe one luxury line, one premium and one mass market line.

And why someone has to be right on this is always beyond me.  

Keith

I don't disagree with you. On the contrary. In fact, for me the cabin size is very low in my list of priorities. We spend very little time in our cabin, and we always book the lowest OV cabin. If we get an upgrade - good. If not - not a big deal. We are perfectly fine in a 215 sqft OV cabin.

That said, it is still nicer to get a 305 sqft cabin, with walking closet etc. all other factors equal

Of all other factors are never equal, but for us two main factors in our decision are itinerary and price. Yes, the promenade deck on Crystal was nice, but SS has something similar. Maybe not as long, but it's not really critical.

The main difference between us is that you see the ship as a destination. I don't. I see it as means to see the world. I still want a good ship (won't go back to large ships) and I will select between ships with comparable food and service. Food and service are comparable on all luxury lines, with few small nuances. Crystal was significantly better when it comes to entertainment and activities, no argument here. But if I'm in ports most of the day, this becomes much less of a factor.

So when we recently looked at Med cruise for 2024, and Crystal itineraries just came out, with prices starting at $6,900 CAD for a 10 night cruise - to me, this is really high. We booked a similar cruise with SS for $6,700 CAD D2D - this price included flights, transfers and excursions, larger cabin, unlimited caviar. And SS has less sea days and longer stays at ports.

I hope I clarified my point of view. And no, I'm not claiming I'm right. This is what works for me, if someone considers a ship a destination and believes that the old Crystal was much better destination AND the new Crystal will come close to the old Crystal, will probably book with Crystal, even at those prices.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Wha's the best auto maker?  Best city to visit?  Best computer? Best smart phone? Camera?

And the answer is it depends.

Which is actually a very good example. If you take Mercedes, Audi and BMW, which one is better? The answer is it depends. Each one of them has its pluses and minuses, and each has its loyal customer base. But the consensus it that they are in the same category. They appeal to different audiences, but they still charge very similar prices. What if Audi comes tomorrow and start charging 20% more than Mercedes and BMW? Wouldn't it be strange? And if someone asks them why, their answer will be "because we invested a billion dollar in a new facility and we want to get our money back". 

Well, good luck with that.

Oceania, Viking and Azamara have similar prices (with some exceptions) because they are in the same category.

Same for SS, SB and Regent. But Crystal wants to charge 20% more.

Well, good luck with that. Even in the luxury category, many customers are still price sensitive.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 1:31 PM, saminina said:

I agree with the first part of your last sentence.  After the comma, not so sure.  He is the person that changed the crew on Silversea to about 98% Filipino from one that very much resembled the visible Crystal crew.   And like many passengers today, he had a very bright and wealthy daddy.

You’ll have to explain why it matters if the crew isn’t white Eastern European.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

You’ll have to explain why it matters if the crew isn’t white Eastern European.

Is there something wrong with a Fillipino crew or is something wrong with a white European crew. This feels a little weird or almost racist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tuscan Guy, there’s nothing wrong with either ethnic crew.  That’s the point.  I’ve never had a problem with any crew member on any ship that could be based on ethnicity.  I was also happy to see a very diverse group on my last SS cruise that included Indians, Europeans, Filipino and Africans, etc…

I love French cooks, English policemen, German mechanics, Swiss bankers and Russian singers.

I hate English food, German policemen, French mechanics, Russian politicians and Italian bankers.

I guess it makes me a racist..

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Tuscan Guy, there’s nothing wrong with either ethnic crew.  That’s the point.  I’ve never had a problem with any crew member on any ship that could be based on ethnicity.  I was also happy to see a very diverse group on my last SS cruise that included Indians, Europeans, Filipino and Africans, etc…

My response was to samanina and not to gourmet gal. I hope that clears up my post a little bit.

• Like 1

Before covid, I would sail SS once or twice a year.  One funny anecdote comes to mind....my butler was Indian with a very, very heavy accent.  I am Hispanic with a moderate Spanish accent.  You can imagine the difficult communication between us...We both laughed when all was misunderstood.  I missed out on certain requirements, but I gained a sense of compassion that few people had gained with me...I was really the winner.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

Before covid, I would sail SS once or twice a year.  One funny anecdote comes to mind....my butler was Indian with a very, very heavy accent.  I am Hispanic with a moderate Spanish accent.  You can imagine the difficult communication between us...We both laughed when all was misunderstood.  I missed out on certain requirements, but I gained a sense of compassion that few people had gained with me...I was really the winner.

You asked him for Cerveza and he brought you a razor.😁

• Haha 2

One of the things I’ve always liked about cruising is getting to know the crew. I always enjoyed hearing about their country, region, culture , family etc etc. I always came away enriched from my interactions. I like to think that 99% of all cruisers feel the same way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

One of the things I’ve always liked about cruising is getting to know the crew. I always enjoyed hearing about their country, region, culture , family etc etc. I always came away enriched from my interactions. I like to think that 99% of all cruisers feel the same way.

Yes and you get better conversation with the crew than you do with some guests.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

You asked him for Cerveza and he brought you a razor.😁

How about this...I asked him for an engineer (since we had problems with the cooling system) and he replied...no Madam the engine is not near!!   How can you not laugh and hug him!!!

PS. With a Spanish accent you would say enginenear...not "ingenniar".  I don't know about the Indian accent...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

How about this...I asked him for an engineer (since we had problems with the cooling system) and he replied...no Madam the engine is not near!!   How can you not laugh and hug him!!!

Fawlty Towers – Basil (on ladder):  "Bring me a hammer."  Manuel (sometime later, with tray):  "I bring you a ham-a sandwich!"

• Haha 1

Some years ago we stayed in the Lakes District at the Samling hotel and their restaurant had a Michelin star. A bit concerned as half of the trip advisor reviews said excellent and the other half poor.

All was revealed when we went to dinner on the first night. The manager was a tall,thin Englishman who had perfected a certain walk and one waiter was Portugese going by the name Manuel. A comedy show every night.

It was then we understood the Trip advisor reviews. The excellent ones were from the UK and the poor from the USA.

12 hours ago, drron29 said:

Some years ago we stayed in the Lakes District at the Samling hotel and their restaurant had a Michelin star. A bit concerned as half of the trip advisor reviews said excellent and the other half poor.

All was revealed when we went to dinner on the first night. The manager was a tall,thin Englishman who had perfected a certain walk and one waiter was Portugese going by the name Manuel. A comedy show every night.

It was then we understood the Trip advisor reviews. The excellent ones were from the UK and the poor from the USA.

Humour doesn't travel as we regularly see on these boards.

13 hours ago, drron29 said:

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

Humour doesn't travel as we regularly see on these boards.

All would have been forgiven if Polly was part of the staff.  😉

• Like 1