Rotterdam just rescued 14 refugees!! 11-9-22

oakridger

1 hour ago, Laminator said:

They used a stock photo!

I wouldn't doubt it. This happens so often that they probably used a photo from before just to give the news. 2000 have been caught since October.  Unfortunately, they all get sent back since the "wet foot dry foot" policy was terminated on January 12, 2017. 

Edited by travellovers2

Yes, I actually saw it happening from my veranda on deck 5!  That picture is nothing like what their vessel/raft looked like!  Can't believe everything on the internet!!!  😏

The article posted above by @Petunia1950 was pretty concise and the video is the real deal!!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 11/10/2022 at 1:11 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

So @oakridger ... you actually saw this? We can't seem to find any news as yet.

Actually , YES I did watch the Rotterdam crew rescue those lost souls. The thing they were riding on was peeling apart before our eyes. (I have the pic to prove it) . The Rotterdam crew, Outstanding. In the mix of a Hurricane, in the dark rescued those souls. Nothing else was not an option. Our accolades to them are to stand. If you were not onboard, then just smile and know HAL came to the rescue!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ray4Fun said:

Actually , YES I did watch the Rotterdam crew rescue those lost souls. The thing they were riding on was peeling apart before our eyes. (I have the pic to prove it) . The Rotterdam crew, Outstanding. In the mix of a Hurricane, in the dark rescued those souls. Nothing else was not an option. Our accolades to them are to stand. If you were not onboard, then just smile and know HAL came to the rescue!

https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-ship-rescues-refugees-in-rough-seas-during-hurricane/87293- I found this report online

18 hours ago, oakridger said:

Yes, I actually saw it happening from my veranda on deck 5!  That picture is nothing like what their vessel/raft looked like!  Can't believe everything on the internet!!!  😏

The article posted above by @Petunia1950 was pretty concise and the video is the real deal!!

~Nancy

Hey Nancy 

Seems like you had some added excitement on your cruise.   Kudos for all that were involved in saving those lives.     Seems like you have been on the seas forever.    Hope you are enjoying your Caribbean cruise before you return home.   We had some nice times while on the Panama Cruise but it was hard coming home afterwards to real life of fixing my own food and making my bed 🙂.    Enjoy the rest of the cruise.  I hope some days our paths cross again.   Safe travels.   
Maryell.  

• Like 1

Hi, thanks Maryell!  I’m disappointed I didn’t get to spend more time with you and Marge. It’s been a wild couple of days on Rotterdam!  Captain just announced we have a serious medical emergency and now will divert to Grand Turk at 2am and stay until tomorrow afternoon. We’ll miss St. Marten then. So glad I’m very flexible regarding traveling!!  Still enjoying it. Hope to cross paths again sometime!     ~Nancy 

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you! It finally hit the news! God bless the crew and person reporting it! The person should get a free cruise!

Yes to this.

Sad to think that those refugees who almost lost their lives will probably be sent right back to the place they were trying to leave. 

• Like 4

On 11/9 in room 6051 and 6053 me and my friends were out on our deck looking at the waves and all the boats around with our binoculars we were out there for like a hour and we were about to go in to go to dinner it was about 5:15 5:20 and my friend Shadd saw something black in the water so we all grabbed our binoculars and we find it and we can see it was people on a man made boat. using Styrofoam to flag us down at first we thought it was a mirror or something at first, why I kept a eye on them my husband Nathan called guest services and they called the Bridge.  They then stopped the boat and called our room again to get confirm the location of the craft it was on the starboard side towards the back and the boat got turned around and with there spot lights they were Abel to keep a eye on the craft 13 men and 1 women were saved it's a miracle that my friend Shadd spotted them when we did with the last little bit of light definitely a heart warming experience so proud. We found out that they were out to sea for 12 days 4days with no food and 3 days with no water. I'm so glad we were out on our deck watching the water.  There boat was made of Styrofoam and wooden planks and tarp. And it was capsizeing fast the captain staded that there craft never showed up on there radar due to it not having any metal on it. And that it was so small and the waves were huge. We were just in the right spot at the right time.  Yay Shadd your a hero.. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Just to give the full story and give credit where credit is due these people where spotted by passenger Shadd Jones in cabin 6053 at about 515 pm we immediately called the security team and they radioed the bridge. After a few minutes we were called back and asked if we could still see them by this time we said we could but just barely. It was an amazing spot for a passenger with a cheap pair of binoculars from a 6th level balcony it was heartwarming. Even the captain came and asked how we spotted them because they couldn't find them with their spotters I will add a few pictures to my post shortly

Edited by Nathans5283
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

On 11/9 in room 6051 and 6053 me and my friends were out on our deck looking at the waves and all the boats around with our binoculars we were out there for like a hour and we were about to go in to go to dinner it was about 5:15 5:20 and my friend Shadd saw something black in the water so we all grabbed our binoculars and we find it and we can see it was people on a man made boat. using Styrofoam to flag us down at first we thought it was a mirror or something at first, why I kept a eye on them my husband Nathan called guest services and they called the Bridge. They then stopped the boat and called our room again to get confirm the location of the craft it was on the starboard side towards the back and the boat got turned around and with there spot lights they were Abel to keep a eye on the craft 13 men and 1 women were saved it's a miracle that my friend Shadd spotted them when we did with the last little bit of light definitely a heart warming experience so proud. We found out that they were out to sea for 12 days 4days with no food and 3 days with no water. I'm so glad we were out on our deck watching the water. There boat was made of Styrofoam and wooden planks and tarp. And it was capsizeing fast the captain staded that there craft never showed up on there radar due to it not having any metal on it. And that it was so small and the waves were huge. We were just in the right spot at the right time. Yay Shadd your a hero.. 

• Like 3

First pic is of the refugees we spotted and the 2 pic is of the coast guard and the last pic is of us  Shadd is the one that spotted them on the end in the White hat and farrah his wife next to him seen them waving and Nathan he is the one who called the crew and me Jenny  kept my eyes on them why we waited for them to find them IMG_5159.thumb.jpg.1b564eaf673e323836b198e19e05160f.jpg

20221109_224841.jpg

20221110_104757.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Jennapeep said:

First pic is of the refugees we spotted and the 2 pic is of the coast guard and the last pic is of us  Shadd is the one that spotted them on the end in the White hat and farrah his wife next to him seen them waving and Nathan he is the one who called the crew and me Jenny  kept my eyes on them why we waited for them to find them IMG_5159.thumb.jpg.1b564eaf673e323836b198e19e05160f.jpg

20221109_224841.jpg

20221110_104757.jpg

Jenny

Thank you all for being at the right place at the right time. 14 lives! You saved 14 lives!

• Like 8