Rotterdam just rescued 14 refugees!! 11-9-22

oakridger

We just rescued 13 males and one female off a thrown together "boat".  Capatin said all are medically healthy and we may transfer them to a Coast Guard boat later.  Whew are they some lucky people!  

More to follow.  I'm going to go cry and have a drink first!

~Nancy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

Just saw that on that 'other' site we aren't supposed to mention. They report Rotterdam position north of Cuba and below Key West. Report that a passenger in the Crow's Nest saw a raft in the water just before complete darkness. Coast Guard called. 13 people rescued. No mention of country of origin. Report that raft was pretty beat up. They are lucky to be rescued.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, SUESEABE said:

Report that a passenger in the Crow's Nest saw a raft in the water just before complete darkness.

Interesting, but, I question the accuracy of the report of that first observation of this situation.  What's the Bridge Watch doing?  

• Thanks 1

After they were safely onboard the Captain thanked "the person who spotted them" as well as the medical and hotel crew.  He first reported 13 but changed it to 13 males and 1 female.  I estimated 10 when they were up close.  They were waving and yelling in what I believe was Spanish.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

People on the ship cheered and clapped when they got on.  After they were onboard, there was all kinds of chunks of Styrofoam debris floating by then they let their "boat" loose as we started to move forward.  Their boat was just a bunch of huge styrofoam pieces held together with a few wood planks!  There was a makeshift mast but no sail and some tarps on the floor part.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Interesting, but, I question the accuracy of the report of that first observation of this situation.  What's the Bridge Watch doing?  

The Bridge Watch was probably doing what he is supposed to do. It takes a bit of luck to see a small raft in the open ocean.

• Like 14

Thanks for the update. Glad they were rescued. They will be happy to hsve a good 

meal, hot shower and a nice bed to sleep in after all they have been through. 

The crew on Rotterdam and the passenger who spotted the raft did a great job.

🥂😊

• Like 6

Yes, Rich, they were even hard to see with the spotlights on them.  The swells are pretty big and when they were in the trough, I couldn't see them for a few seconds.  A couple times I thought they had been swamped.  I didn't see at that time that it wasn't a real boat.  I saw one guy fall in the water and my heart sank but his people got him back into the raft quickly.  Oh yes, they are very lucky!!

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

27 minutes ago, richwmn said:

The Bridge Watch was probably doing what he is supposed to do. It takes a bit of luck to see a small raft in the open ocean.

Agree that they were on duty, but, for a guest to spot the craft and sound an alarm!  Well, whomever that guest is, that person needs to be recognized by HAL and the USCG as nothing less than a hero.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Agree that they were on duty, but, for a guest to spot the craft and sound an alarm!  Well, whomever that guest is, that person needs to be recognized by HAL and the USCG as nothing less than a hero.  

100 percent cruise cost refund should be given by HAL to the hero who spotted them. He/She saved 11 lives.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Amazing good fortune for the 14 and what an experience to be onboard during such a rescue!  I can't even imagine the range of emotions of those 14.

Thanks for the thread, @oakridger.

Indeed!  I am getting emotional just reading this thread at home in my living room.  

• Like 1